Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• @CheepCluck said:

If it would help, I can offer apologies as a third party in a public forum - free of charge. No upcharges here! All you need to do is let me know how many koolaid packets you got.

I do have 3 koolaid packets, but I should warn I’ve been keeping them in my prison wallet…

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@KermEd said:

@CheepCluck said:

If it would help, I can offer apologies as a third party in a public forum - free of charge. No upcharges here! All you need to do is let me know how many koolaid packets you got.

I do have 3 koolaid packets, but I should warn I’ve been keeping them in my prison wallet…

Prison wallet, is that a euphemism for an Australian vagina?

Thanked by 3Hxxx jsg TimboJones
  • user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

What is there to possibly expect from a VPS host that defines:

Status in VPS control panel shows online = VPS actually offline and the hard drive is in owner's house for past several days
    No notification of problems = mailgun is spotty
    Customer infrastructure is safe = we only meant safe from concrete saws

My expectations have been recalibrated so low, that I don't expect anything with BuyVM. At this point I'm just posting the truth because this thread hasn't been deleted yet.

• @user37489 respectfully and cordially I will just ask. Do you have any intentions of stopping?

• @KermEd said:

@jar said:

@KermEd said:
    Am I the only one in here with caramel popcorn sitting and refreshing the page?

It's a fun distraction from log audits.

Agreed! I’m very much avoiding work right now :D

Same. I need to finish up some quotes and a few other items...

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said:

My expectations have been recalibrated so low, that I don't expect anything with LET.

There I fixed that for you.

On an unrelated topic I do not recommend googling Australian Vagina either. That took me down an unusual path. And my partner is going to be very curious if she sees my browser history…

• @KermEd said:

@user37489 said:

My expectations have been recalibrated so low, that I don't expect anything with LET.

On an unrelated topic I do not recommend googling Australian Vagina either. That took me down an unusual path.

There's a reason we import our wives

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Go, go, guys.

666, here we come.

• @dahartigan said: 15 packets of orange and 5 packets of blue.

I'm sorry.

I'll take 2 of blue flavor.

@KermEd said: I do have 3 koolaid packets, but I should warn I’ve been keeping them in my prison wallet…

So long as you didn't wrap them up in cellophane and ruin the flavor

• @user37489 said:
    It was $60 per month, so please give my $210 credit to someone else in this thread.

@user37489 @Francisco
    if this $210 free credit is for real, I am in :D

• @KermEd said:

@user37489 said:

On an unrelated topic I do not recommend googling Australian Vagina either. That took me down an unusual path. And my partner is going to be very curious if she sees my browser history…

Clean that keyboard.

• user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

@deank said:
    Go, go, guys.

666, here we come.

Alright, here's another gripe:

BuyVM.net, right on the top of the homepage, says "Fast, Scure, and Reliable Virtual Servers."

What about BuyVM losing my VPS was "reliable", as opposed to selling services not as advertised?

Before all the Fran alts start posting about backups, no where on BuyVM.net homepage does it clarify that "Reliable" actually means shit happens, so deal with it and make sure to pay for backups because we often have failed NVMEs.

Go to buyvm.net homepage and look for yourself.

Thanked by 1dahartigan

On a different note. I saw myself in the first page here when Fran said testing because I did the same thing about a year ago (really loose estimate). I run one server that has an entirely different underlying config to the rest. The "test" was to see how BuyVM block storage worked as an email store, for the purpose of being able to expand storage without adding hardware.

After a string of outages, a customer asked why the problem was only impacting their server and no other one. I said something like "I was testing block storage on this server where the rest have local arrays." The customer, quite rightfully, asked if they could be put on a server that isn't a test and asked why they weren't informed that they were part of a test.

Block storage being a perfectly reasonable thing to use, a key part of every cloud provider and these days the whole storage of an EC2 container. It wasn't that I was testing something experimental, rather that I just wanted to see how a perfectly legitimate but different build would compare to the other builds. So that day I learned a big lesson, that choice of wording is essential. Not to deceive, but because my own word choice was unintentionally deceiving in the first place.

• @jar said:
    Prison wallet, is that a euphemism for an Australian vagina?

Try to be a little more inclusive with the language next time, it should've been "an Australian vagina/bussy".

Thanked by 2jar dahartigan
  • @Hxxx said: Clean that keyboard.

The search actually helped improve my grip on the mouse. Sounds like velcro when I lift my hand from it.

Thanked by 2Hxxx jar
  • @CheepCluck said:

@Hxxx said: Clean that keyboard.

The search actually helped improve my grip on the mouse. Sounds like velcro when I lift my hand from it.

Thanks I needed the laugh.

• @user37489 said:

BuyVM.net, right on the top of the homepage, says "Fast, Scure, and Reliable Virtual Servers."

If we are going based on subjective website content - let me introduce you to my friends at AlphaRacks :D.

• @KermEd said:

@user37489 said:

If we are going based on subjective website content - let me introduce you to my friends at AlphaRacks :D.

I agree and that's the impression of BuyVM now, just a bunch of subjective website content.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@user37489 said:

@deank said:
    Go, go, guys.

666, here we come.

What about BuyVM losing my VPS was "reliable", as opposed to selling services not as advertised?

Before all the Fran alts start posting about backups, no where on BuyVM.net homepage does it clarify that "Reliable" actually means shit happens, so deal with it and make sure to pay for backups because we often have failed NVMEs.

Go to buyvm.net homepage and look for yourself.

So what? Such an assertion is perfectly acceptable if it's true for the vast majority of their customers.
    Such an assertion needs NOT be true in 100% of all cases. In fact, no provider I know of, no matter their prices, can offer and guarantee 100% "fast secure and reliable".

And anyway your complaint is irrelevant because (a) AFAIK @Francisco doesn't assert "in 100% of all cases" (but rather makes a general statement), and (b) this is LET.

That's the problem with PMS and/or end-phase bitching. About the only thing that reliably stops it - slapping the bitch and hard - is illegal in almost all jurisdictions.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • Commenting to add to the yummy page count.

That aside idk why OP is still commenting, more or less repeating the same thing with different words.

Shit happens. Don't dwell on the past. Learn from the experience. Be it not using BuyVM or setting up a proper disaster recovery plan, or both. Both parties are partially at fault. Hardware failures happen but not having a DR plan is also bad.

Pointing out every strawman available or nit-picking any little thing in the wording on Frans site won't lead you anywhere. If you have a strong urge for that then go get a job at CNN.

Take an hour to set up a robust automatic backup set up for your Windows VM. On my home PC I use restic and then rclone the restic backup to google drive & a personal offsite server. You could also just take a full disk image. Use Windows scheduler to automate it so you never have to worry about it. You can also use a service like Healthchecks.io in your backup script to ensure it runs, it will give you alerts if Windows doesn't run your script for whatever reason.

https://restic.net/
    https://rclone.org/
    https://healthchecks.io/

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said:

I agree and that's the impression of BuyVM now, just a bunch of subjective website content.

I can’t believe I’m saying this of all people - but at some point you need to grow up a little bit here. Yes, you had the most horrendous event of your life… how will you move on from this tragedy?

• @dahartigan said:

@user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

@user37489 said: Really? What about losing my VPS in Vegas is "safe, secure, environment for our customer infrastructure and our mission-critical services?"

https://buyvm.net/datacenters/

Queue the posts about back ups and how everything is my fault, and how BuyVM is amazing.

The facility is safe, secure, for customers equipment. There's minimal/no fears of someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things. There's full alarms, multi layer badge checks.

Again, none of that is incorrect.

Francisco

Oh great, because those were my primary fears. You can also add safe from tsunamis on that list too.

What kind of cheap host is this that people even think about someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things?

Turns out, no one needed to steal anything when your cheap NVMe drives will just fail on their own.

This isn't the only time this happened either. Others have commented it happened to them with you on different occasions.

I'm almost 100% sure there's some stockholm syndrome with most buyvm customers, they blindly defend him when he fucks up like this and then start blaming everyone and everything else.

I really can't see what the appeal is, aside from the fact he hosts a lot of shady shit on his servers and that naturally appeals to the scum of the earth who wish to host such things.

I shudder to imagine what disgusting things Fran potentially has in his possession on those drives in his kitchen given his history.

Based on this post and the past ones, how come I instantly think that you are behind those defaming frantech emails. The writing attitude seems similar even when the typing does not.

You don't.

His grave stone will read, "BuyVM screwed me over."

Thanked by 1b0lt
  • @deank said:
    You don't.

His grave stone will read, "BuyVM screwed me over."

Ok, I retract my statement. I do have a list of enemies I would like etched into my tombstone too. #thought_retracted scrub it from the internets!!

• @stefeman said:

@dahartigan said:

@user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

@user37489 said: Really? What about losing my VPS in Vegas is "safe, secure, environment for our customer infrastructure and our mission-critical services?"

Queue the posts about back ups and how everything is my fault, and how BuyVM is amazing.

The facility is safe, secure, for customers equipment. There's minimal/no fears of someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things. There's full alarms, multi layer badge checks.

Francisco

Oh great, because those were my primary fears. You can also add safe from tsunamis on that list too.

What kind of cheap host is this that people even think about someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things?

Turns out, no one needed to steal anything when your cheap NVMe drives will just fail on their own.

This isn't the only time this happened either. Others have commented it happened to them with you on different occasions.

I'm almost 100% sure there's some stockholm syndrome with most buyvm customers, they blindly defend him when he fucks up like this and then start blaming everyone and everything else.

I really can't see what the appeal is, aside from the fact he hosts a lot of shady shit on his servers and that naturally appeals to the scum of the earth who wish to host such things.

I shudder to imagine what disgusting things Fran potentially has in his possession on those drives in his kitchen given his history.

Based on this post and the past ones, how come I instantly think that you are behind those defaming frantech emails. The writing attitude seems similar even when the typing does not.

Hell no, that idiot sending email spam and bomb threats deserves prison.

• @dystopia said:
    Commenting to add to the yummy page count.

That aside idk why OP is still commenting, more or less repeating the same thing with different words.

Shit happens. Don't dwell on the past. Learn from the experience. Be it not using BuyVM or setting up a proper disaster recovery plan, or both. Both parties are partially at fault. Hardware failures happen but not having a DR plan is also bad.

Pointing out every strawman available or nit-picking any little thing in the wording on Frans site won't lead you anywhere. If you have a strong urge for that then go get a job at CNN.

Take an hour to set up a robust automatic backup set up for your Windows VM. On my home PC I use restic and then rclone the restic backup to google drive & a personal offsite server. You could also just take a full disk image. Use Windows scheduler to automate it so you never have to worry about it. You can also use a service like Healthchecks.io in your backup script to ensure it runs, it will give you alerts if Windows doesn't run your script for whatever reason.

https://restic.net/
    https://rclone.org/
    https://healthchecks.io/

I commented again because @deank asked for it.

I'm certain I've made my position on BuyVM's ability as a VPS host very clear.

edited November 2021

@dahartigan said:
    Hell no, that idiot sending email spam and bomb threats deserves prison.

or a piston up his arse.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited November 2021

@stefeman said:

@dahartigan said:

@user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

We should really have a new drama thread for this, but @tinyweasel's has shown the maturity of a 16-year old, but his English is too old fashioned (for the lack of a better word) and indicative more of a 30-year old, the same as @dahartigan. Both @dahartigan and @tinyweasel are Australian. Hmmm....

• @user37489 said:

I'm certain I've made my position on BuyVM's ability as a VPS host very clear.

My understanding is you are interested in buying their services, and on their website trying to price it out. I strongly recommend going with Fran, very high reliability.

Thanked by 2Hxxx dystopia

@stevewatson301 said:

@stefeman said:

@dahartigan said:

@user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

We should really have a new drama thread for this, but @tinyweasel's has shown the maturity of a 16-year old, but his English is too old fashioned (for the lack of a better word) and indicative more of a 30-year old, the same as @dahartigan. Both @dahartigan and @tinyweasel are Australian. Hmmm....

You're putting these pieces together too quickly, I highly suggest backing down on it if your account can be connected to your identity in any way.

Thanked by 1wdmg
This discussion has been closed.