Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

reasonable? Cancellation of service requires 30 days' notice. - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

reasonable? Cancellation of service requires 30 days' notice.

12345679»

Comments

• @dahartigan said:

@default said:
    Plausible plot twist: Clouvider gets hacked... again.

Cloudvider was hacked?

Yes.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @default said:

@dahartigan said:

@default said:

Cloudvider was hacked?

Yes.

Shit, I have a horrible memory apparently.

• @dahartigan said:

@default said:

@dahartigan said:

@default said:

Cloudvider was hacked?

Yes.

Then be careful. You may need to notify them 30 days in advance. Take some vitamins. Make sure not to forget.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @default said:

@dahartigan said:

@default said:

@dahartigan said:

@default said:

Cloudvider was hacked?

Yes.

Then be careful. You may need to notify them 30 days in advance. Take some vitamins. Make sure not to forget.

I don't have any services with the provider in question so my forgetfulness won't result in me extra charges AND a mouthful of insults on a public forum.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited November 2021

@TimboJones said: You need a new translator, no one can understand a fucking thing you say.

You just not have a brain more than appealing to misunderstand my text all the time. Shame

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

Don't worry, cloudvider is not the first time that it has been calling customers who are completely legitimate as a scammer.

I have tried this "hosting" firsthand and I am a registered company and they still think that I am a "fraudulent" customer

• @CiprianoOscar said:
    Don't worry, cloudvider is not the first time that it has been calling customers who are completely legitimate as a scammer.

I have tried this "hosting" firsthand and I am a registered company and they still think that I am a "fraudulent" customer

You needed to resurrect a 3-month-old thread to provide this valuable contribution?

• Since this thread has been necromanced...

@noobjockeys said: What I have suggested would increase the awareness of the cancellation process, unless deep down you don't want them to know about it?

@Clouvider said: Is there an example of any other major player in the industry that does that ?

@noobjockeys said:
    Hetzner make it pretty clear, it's just good practice.

Deep down, you just don't want them to know as it will effect your conversion rates.

Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner.

@forgetm (and @aadizeb)- I feel for you both. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is right. If it is any consolation, I will never, ever consider @Clouvider for any servers I need, no matter how good the price. If I may make a tiny suggestion to you, as my grandmother used to say, "You get more flies with honey than shit", meaning: First try to ask nicely for what you want, then if they are still unreasonable, then you can bring out the big guns.

@Clouvider could have advertised it as a setup fee that would be credited to the account after the first (or second) month, but instead, deliberately chose to bury it in a 13,000 word Terms of Service so that he would appear to be cheaper than the (honest) competition. Maybe he could hire @jar to teach him a thing or two about honesty and integrity. Ah, who am I kidding - Someone that intellectually dishonest will never reform.

And I am completely unimpressed with the "We say 30 days notice, but it's really 14 days if you're a good little boy and won't write a bad review calling out our BS." Pretending that this is a matter of principle and that they won't negotiate with a "hostile" customer who is rightly pointing out their lack of integrity is the oldest trick in the scammer's playbook and just adds insult to injury. Everyone on this forum rightly calls out this bad behavior when it's some garbage provider like pCloud cancelling users for violations of the ToS, but treat @Clouvider with kid gloves (maybe because they provide such endless LET drama). Creating tons of trivial laws and regulations and then selectively enforcing them is the province of banana republics, not honest, legitimate businesses.

Can't wait for the day that @Clouvider deadpools and "rebrands" due to the lost business from all the bad reviews piled up detailing their scummy business practices. Rinse and repeat with a new name.

They are lucky to be based in the UK, because here in the US, they would potentially be liable to a class-action lawsuit. Judges love to throw the book at shady companies who try to scam extra fees using legalese. It would be fantastic for someone to sue them in small claims court (or whatever the UK equivalent is) and see if they could get a judgment against them and then get it indexed on Google.

Just the fact that it is advertised as 'monthly' and the real minimum term is 2 months (according to the ToS, not their BS unwritten and unofficial "We'll let you cancel after one month if you tell us nicely within 14 days [pretty please with cream and sugar]" policy) almost guarantees an instant win in court.

Sucks that it cost you $120 for this lesson (if you chose to pay, and there is a very legitimate argument that you should have told them to piss off and not paid a dime more to them), but it could have been worse:

Apple iTunes iScandal - South Park

Kyle gets thrown into jail for not reading Apple's terms and conditions

Apple Unveils the New iPad - SOUTH PARK

Decline iTunes

South Park - Humancentipad - Japanese Guy

Thanked by 2TimboJones forgetm
  • @Homie said: Since this thread has been necromanced...

@tinyweasel , is that you?

(No congrats on your first post)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Ban the necromancer.

Playing with the dead is never a healthy affair.

• abytecuriousabytecurious Member
    edited February 2022

Learnt a 60$ lesson with a German provider. Took the L and moved on. That was a month-to-month vDedicated server.. more than what I spent yearly on all my InceptionHosting and VirMach VPSes. (added this to show that 60$ is a decent dent on what I spend on a hobby)

Just realized this post was resurrected from the grave.. Anyway, if it needed some fodder/popcorn, I have provided some.

• @angstrom said:

Reading comprehension isn't exactly your strong suit, is it? I complimented @jar in the post - How on Earth could I be @tinyweasel?

• @Homie said:

@angstrom said:

Reading comprehension isn't exactly your strong suit, is it? I complimented @jar in the post - How on Earth could I be @tinyweasel?

I admit that I find reading difficult.

So you're new around here?

Thanked by 2drizbo bulbasaur
  • Actually I am a long-time lurker. The only reason I bothered to create an account at this time was because I couldn't believe that in a thread discussing misleading Terms of Service agreements, no one had posted a link to that hilarious South Park episode.

But after wading through 9 pages of a dead thread to make sure no one had posted a link to South Park, reading about what @Clouvider did and his lame-ass excuses about why he "can't" provide clear instructions about what people are buying, and how most of the community took his side didn't sit right with me.

Now that I've bothered to create an account and said my piece, I just want to collect a few more posts so that I'm eligible for one of the occasional members-only giveaways that happen here.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2022

That South Park episode is pretty funny -- until the final clip, which I find grotesque. In sum, the episode started out well but then went too far.

• Then I highly, highly, highly recommend that you never watch the movie "The Human Centipede" (which it parodies).

• I've heard of the movie "The Human Centipede" but I'm not likely to watch it anytime soon.

But I see: the South Park episode also parodies that movie.

Nevertheless, it's a bit too much to go from an iTunes user agreement to a human centipede in a single episode like that -- it was (grotesquely) overdone in the end.

This discussion has been closed.