Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

reasonable? Cancellation of service requires 30 days' notice.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

reasonable? Cancellation of service requires 30 days' notice.

The provider has rejected my request to cancel the service and also tell me I must to pay the next invoice(next month). As they said "I have agreed to the terms",
Their related terms is the following"require 30 days' notice for the cancellation of any dedicated services".
I admit that I did not read their terms at the beginning. As far as I am concerned, this is a dedicated server with a monthly fee of approximately US$120. I requested cancellation on November 4th. The current bill due date is November 18th. This was about 14 days' notice but was rejected.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net

Comments

• No. There no prediction what you get after one month, so that useless.
    I guess they a German provider?

Thanked by 2forgetm pan_ia0_net
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Reasonable and common.

You new?

• If you got better deal within this month why need pay for one more month to old provider? Just curious. And that amount also. Its not a $5 per month.

• @forgetm said:
    ….
    I admit that I did not read their terms at the beginning. …

Well, then you have no choice, unless the jurisdiction enforces shorter notice of cancellation for all businesses.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It would be weird for them to reject it. Seems like they should instead accept your 30 days notice before they bill you that next invoice.

I bet OP isn't giving us the whole story.

Either way, if you don't like it, SUE! For the love of the end, sue. Please sue. Sue.

• @jar said:
    It would be weird for them to reject it. Seems like they should instead accept your 30 days notice before they bill you that next invoice.

Well, they may be asking OP to resubmit the cancellation request with proper notice period (30 days if agreed as per TOS)

• @jar said: It would be weird for them to reject it.

German providers love to do that, lock for 30 days, then place to negative, trying to charge your CC in file, then send your personal data to collectors agency. And start annoying you by email every week.

• @jenkki said:

@jar said: It would be weird for them to reject it.

German providers love to do that, lock for 30 days, then place to negative, trying to charge your CC in file, then send your personal data to collectors agency. And start annoying you by email every week.

The cancellation period and effective earliest cancellation date is clearly mentioned in the panel. Why agree to TOS if you really don’t agree?

Because of reasons.

Besides, who reads anything nowadays? Schooling should be removed.

• @dev_vps said: Why agree to TOS if you really don’t agree?

If you buy expensive product with recurring payments better to read TOS before buy. No questions. But if you stuck with unwanted product you can refuse it without prepay for the next month. And they must accept it. Everyone has a rights for mistake.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

Whether it's reasonable or not is a question for you: you agreed to it. If it wasn't reasonable to you, you should have gone elsewhere. If you didn't read the terms, there's a $120 lesson for you. Be glad it wasn't worse.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited November 2021

They just place client into financial jail and push to buy unwanted product one more time.
    Better do not deal with companies like this.

• @jenkki said:
    …. But if you stuck with unwanted product you can refuse it without prepay for the next month. And they must accept it. Everyone has a rights for mistake.

In this case, mistake has a price to it. If you chose to not to read TOS and blindly checking the box that you agree to TOS, then be ready for the legal consequences.

• And make no mistake, one can even have 90 day cancellation notice period, even for services paid monthly.

So, be a responsible adult, read and understand the terms of service BEFORE agreeing to it.

Thanked by 3forgetm tux pan_ia0_net
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2021

@deank said:
    I bet OP isn't giving us the whole story.

Either way, if you don't like it, SUE! For the love of the end, sue. Please sue. Sue.

Enjoy this comment way too much. Not for the reality of it but just that it's funny as hell.

Realistically depending on how they setup their billing most people should be willing to let it go. Sounds like they're not really willing to bend for you.

However, this is of course based on your relationship with that provider. Realistically, they're demanding that you pay the next invoice. You can always just... you know... not pay them. Don't pay for service not rendered or needed. They can ask you many things, but they're asking you to prepay for the term the service is used and then they billed you for the next month ahead of time, but they haven't actually given you the service yet.

You told them you don't want their service anymore. It's a bit dickish and their "Terms of Service" can say X, Y, and Z, but if you don't plan on ever having business relationships with them in the future then eh whatever.

Unpopular opinion, but sometimes it is what it is. Not like they can legally charge you for service that wasn't rendered and given two weeks notice of cancellation.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited November 2021

@dev_vps said: In this case, mistake has a price to it.

In capitalist world yes you are right but in human world no. They made it by left hand.

You not physically sign up any papers. Or create a credit agreements. They not a bank for provide credit to you or charge to negative. That illegal.

@jenkki said:

In capitalist world yes you are right but in human world no. They made it by left hand.

You not physically sign up any papers. Or create a credit agreements. They not a bank for provide credit to you or charge to negative

If you try exiting early from your phone contract you'll hit the exact same problem. They aren't a bank and you didn't sign any papers either.

• @jenkki said:

You not physically sign up any papers. Or create a credit agreements. They not a bank for provide credit to you or charge to negative

It does not matter where one signs on a paper or signs electronically. Not paying for service could result in many things and it could affect your credit history.

Agreement can be enforced even for verbal agreements

Not knowing the law is not a valid excuse either.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited November 2021

@jackb said: If you try exiting early from your phone contract you'll hit the exact same problem

Phone contract a other things and cannot be compared with it. If you get your phone for $1 with 24 Months contract you at least physically sign up papers with credit agreements in provider office. That real document you sign and must follow it.

If you not want follow this way you can buy phone for a full cost and get prepaid SIM card with no contract agreements. That your selection.

• @jenkki said:

@jackb said: If you try exiting early from your phone contract you'll hit the exact same problem

Phone contract a other things and cannot be compared with it. If you get your phone for $1 with 24 Months contract you at least physically sign up papers with credit agreements in provider office. That real document you sign and must follow it.

If you not want follow this way you can buy phone for a full cost and get prepaid SIM card with no contract agreements. That your selection.

Do you have a friend who is a lawyer and you trust him? Kindly ask him/her.

Or get a book from amazon on the topic of contract law.

In either case, get educated about contact laws.

• @dev_vps said: It does not matter where one signs on a paper or signs electronically.

There no signs included. Exactly on prepaid mode.

A contract is a contract, virtual or not.

Try breaking a marriage contract. It's fun.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited November 2021

@jenkki said:

@dev_vps said: It does not matter where one signs on a paper or signs electronically.

There no signs included. Exactly on prepaid mode.

I am on a post paid plan and did not sign on any physical paper.

Electronic signature, sending a fax copy of signed document, verbal agreement (yes on the phone) and signing a piece of paper are exactly same.

In any of these cases, you are agreeing to a contract

• @dev_vps said: Do you have a friend who is a lawyer and you trust him? Kindly ask him/her.

Yes I do that already

@jenkki said:

You don't in most places. I took up my phone contract via their website I physically signed nothing. If I exit early (~half way through contract); they'll try and bill me the remainder, and if they can't they'll send it to collections and put it on my credit report.

• @jackb said: You don't in most places. I took up my phone contract via their website I physically signed nothing. If I exit early (~half way through contract); they'll try and bill me the remainder, and if they can't they'll send it to collections and put it on my credit report.

If they allow to do that remote and already have your valid passport data on file you can do that easy online. No questions. But in many countries need to physically visit provider office for sigh up to contract. Even for prepaid.

• @jenkki said:

Yes I do that already

What did he/she tell you?
    can a 30 day notice period of cancellation be enforced or not?

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited November 2021

@dev_vps said: What did he/she tell you? Can a 30 day notice period of cancellation be enforced or not

No that illegal. Read above.
    Don't forget about every country has a own laws and may be not match to each other.

• @jenkki said:

@dev_vps said: What did he/she tell you? Can a 30 day notice period of cancellation be enforced or not

No that illegal. Read above.
    Don't forget about every country has a own laws and may be not match to each other.

If you are signing an agreement , for example, with a German provider, guess which laws are governed for that agreement ?

Thanked by 3forgetm tux pan_ia0_net
This discussion has been closed.