Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ S U M M E R H O S T S A L E ★ From $9/YR ★ 1GB $15/YR ★ Transfers To Ryzen ★ Easter Eggs - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ S U M M E R H O S T S A L E ★ From $9/YR ★ 1GB $15/YR ★ Transfers To Ryzen ★ Easter Eggs

Comments

• @VirMach When could migration?

• They haven't even provisioned those that actually purchased the Ryzen VM's 1 year ago. So if you're looking for a migration soon, keep on waiting.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@corbpie said:
    They haven't even provisioned those that actually purchased the Ryzen VM's 1 year ago. > So if you're looking for a migration soon, keep on waiting.

Migrations have a different timeline entirely. Pre-orders were always eligible for a refund after the missed date, so no one was forced to wait nor guaranteed any delivery date (outside the guarantee we already missed, which means it's refundable.)

In addition, the beta program being delayed did not hurt/delay everything else 1:1 as a result. We're definitely more prepared now. The colocation space still moved forward as planned for various locations. IP addresses and hardware were still acquired. Testing was still done, and the builds were optimized.

@dgc1980 said:
    @VirMach is there any chance you can add the Ubuntu 20.04 templates to your nodes, 16.04 is a little outdated, and the ability to re-provision with a recent release would be great.

@dgc1980 said:
    @VirMach is there any chance you can add the Ubuntu 20.04 templates to your nodes, 16.04 is a little outdated, and the ability to re-provision with a recent release would be great.

Been waiting for that like forever.

Ubuntu 20 template w/ desktop is being added. This is lubuntu, so you can install it and just remove that if you do not want desktop. We will also do a separate "minimal" version afterward.

By being added, I mean it's being synced right now and should be available in the coming hours.

• @VirMach said: Ubuntu 20 template w/ desktop is being added. This is lubuntu, so you can install it and just remove that if you do not want desktop. We will also do a separate "minimal" version afterward.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

i hate to be pushy but i need to idle with better performance

meant for the other virmach thread but w/e

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2021

@VirMach said:
    Alright let's kick off the easter eggs with a non-easter egg since I'm just letting you know in plain sight. I'm tired from preparing this and dealing with a lot of things today so I just want to at least have done one before I disappear for a couple hours :)

The first temporary length service is:

120 Days

512MB RAM
    15GB Disk
    1vCore
    2,000GB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Port
    1 IPv4
    Buffalo, NY - Location

https://billing.virmach.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=194

It's $2.68 for 4 months. Remember, these are the type that fully terminate after 120 days, per WHMCS cron.

Let's give 100 of these away for free since you're here early. Let's hope this doesn't break WHMCS.

Coupon code:
    FREE120

Today is 120 days since this offer was posted.
    The end is nigh.
    Are you ready for involucration?

• MrWonderMrWonder Member
    edited November 2021

Virmach is an extremely irresponsible company.

Before a few years I has registered for an account, as I was thinking to place an order. Then I did not place an order and had changed my mind.

Thereafter, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect. This applies to my account. Accordingly, Virmach did not sent me an email under the GDRP that they maintain my data. Most companies did.

This year, I could log in my account and found my data in the account. So I requested Virmach to have all my data deleted, account closed and to notify me.

Virmach refused to delete my account and refused to delete my data and they declared their refusal based on the argument that I need to send an email.

BUT THERE WAS NO EMAIL MENTIONED IN THAT TICKET, WHERE I COULD SEND AN EMAIL!

On their website, Virmach do not maintain a postal address or an email, where I could send an email.

I logged in my account last week. I could login. This means they are maintaining my data further on, under violation of the GDRP.

I could not open a ticket because they have deactivated my account, while maintaining my personal data further on.

So I wrote them a new message (without being logged in) and opened a ticket requesting them to delete my personal data and delete my account completely.
    They have not deleted my account and still maintain my data.

I have no services active with them and I have never ordered anything from them that requires to maintain my data further on.

Therefore, I concluded that this company is very irresponsible.

I will now complain with the competent authorities under the GDRP law.

If someone has a similar problem and has his domicile within the European Union, they could inform themselves here:

https://edps.europa.eu/data-protection/our-role-supervisor/complaints_en

https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/about-edpb/members_en#member-de

• Good luck forcing European Law on USA provider.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@JabJab said:
    Good luck forcing European Law on USA provider.

• @JabJab said:

This.

• @MrWonder said:

Therefore, I concluded that this company is very irresponsible.

I will now complain with the competent authorities under the GDRP law.

You have too much time on your hand. Why did you register in the first place?

Thanked by 1MrWonder
  • @JabJab said:

Well, many American companies think they could do what they want with a customers data. Once a customer feeds in his data into their system, they feel they own this data.

This is the most ridiculous part of this story.

Precisely due to this reason, the European Parliament designed the GDRP such that ALL COMPANIES ARE SUBJECT TO NATIONAL JURISDICTION, regardless of where in the world they are based. This aspect has not been understood by many companies outside of the European Union.

@DanSummer:
    You have too much time on your hand. Why did you register in the first place?

On the contrary. Because I did not have time, I failed to place an order thinking that I shall not be able to use their services.

But you are right. My mistake was: I had voluntary registered. At that time, I did not know how irresponsible this company was - and further is. However, I do not regret placing an order. I would definitely have had much worse an experience.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2021

@MrWonder said:

@JabJab said:

Precisely due to this reason, the European Parliament designed the GDRP such that ALL COMPANIES ARE SUBJECT TO NATIONAL JURISDICTION, regardless of where in the world they are based. This aspect has not been understood by many companies outside of the European Union.

yoursunny summer host Inc is based on Jupiter.
    We are not in this world, so that we are not subject to GDPR.
    We will collect your personal data and permanently store them in the Black Hole.

No matter what the European Parliament says, information sent to the Black Hole cannot be erased or forgotten.
    This is how physics works.
    Complaints should be directed to Sir Newton and Dr Einstein.

Thanked by 1MrWonder
  • @yoursunny: that is a nice sarcastic thought.....

BTW, I checked how much Virmach could be fined here:

https://gdpr.eu/gdpr-fines-so-far/

They could (or should) be fined for violation in the category I-III.

• @MrWonder said:

@yoursunny: that is a nice sarcastic thought.....

BTW, I checked how much Virmach could be fined here:

https://gdpr.eu/gdpr-fines-so-far/

They could (or should) be fined for violation in the category I-III.

Send them a bill. I'm sure they'll give it all the consideration it's due.

Thanked by 1MrWonder
  • @MrWonder said: At that time, I did not know how irresponsible this company was - and further is.

You realize that casting these aspersions could be considered libelous and under US law you are now possibly subject to court proceedings. Where should we send your bill?

Thanked by 1MrWonder
  • Is there any very rough timeline for AMS migration maybe?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2021

@Virmach

@drizbo said: Is there any very rough timeline for AMS migration maybe?

In before the mad BF frenzy? Just a thought. :|

• @drizbo said:
    Is there any very rough timeline for AMS migration maybe?

soon™

• @MrWonder said: under violation of the GDRP

Apple已为《个人信息保护法》做好
    准备。

《中华人民共和国个人信息保护法》于
    2021年11月1日起正式实施, Apple已积极
    为此做好准备。

众所周知,保护用户隐私、让用户自己掌控个
    人信息,是Apple设计产品和服务时一贯坚持
    的理念。我们始终致力于确保用户能了解、能
    获取、能更正自己的个人数据,能限制对个人
    数据的使用,并且能删除这些数据。你可以到
    privacy.apple.com访问Apple数据与隐私页
    面,随时行使你的隐私权并作出相关选择。

借此机会,我们也想向你介绍我们
    最新的隐私政策,来帮助你更好地了解,在有
    必要收集数据时Apple对个人数据的处理方
    法。同时,我们还在这里准备了一份隐私披露
    补充声明,来向中国大陆用户提供更多相
    关信息。

如需进一步了解我们的app如何处理你的数
    据,请参阅我们各个ios, iPados, macos
    和watchOS app的隐私标签。

virmach also did not send an email about the new Chinese Personal Information Protection Law,nooooooo. I will now complain with the competent authorities under the 中华人民共和国个人信息保护法. and let all mjj can't access virmach from China!!!!!!!!!!

jk:)

Thanked by 1MrWonder
  • The lack of posting the tickets and the email exchange is sketchy as fuck.

In before 2000 word takedown response from Virmach that will definitely include a mention that this guy marked emergency ticket, etc.

Also, when someone tries this hard to remove their data, besides being narcissistic, I lean towards them being a pedophile/malware/spammer/douche and needing to clean up all online connections.

@TimboJones said: In before 2000 word takedown response from Virmach that will definitely include a mention that this guy marked emergency ticket, etc.

There's not much to say here. Every once in a while there's someone who freaks out and makes some unreasonable request. Since this rarely happens, I know exactly who this guy is and he did make several guest tickets. We told him a few different things, such as [1] email has to be sent to verify ownership of account if they cannot make a ticket as a logged in client, and [2] we cannot just delete someone's entire account because a guest makes a ticket regarding that client's account. Pretty basic stuff, but I'll do a long response, just for you.

@MrWonder said: Precisely due to this reason, the European Parliament designed the GDRP such that ALL COMPANIES ARE SUBJECT TO NATIONAL JURISDICTION, regardless of where in the world they are based. This aspect has not been understood by many companies outside of the European Union.

We try to respect people's requests where possible, out of courtesy.

First of all, just because a country writes a law that applies to the rest of the world, it doesn't mean they can actually enforce it or that they have the right to do so. If some country wrote a law that said we must disclose all of a customer's personal data and preserve it forever, we obviously would not follow that law even if they stated it applies to the entire world. They don't get to just decide that their law applies to another country.

With that said, in this case, were we to assume that they somehow had any control in enforcing their law in the United States and we were required to comply, it does not mean that GDPR automatically applies to every single situation.

GDPR does not apply to US companies if they do not specifically market their services to the EU region. Just allowing EU to access our website and order a service is not enough. We also do not monitor customers to the level required for it to qualify as a potential privacy issue. We do not process the customer's data or track them/analyze their information in any way where it would qualify. As such, we are not even required to have a representative in the EU for GDPR. When we do not have a representative, they have no means of enforcing the law and not all of it applies in the first place.

In addition, even if it did apply, in certain cases it is obviously required that we maintain some information for our records or we can reject the request in certain situations, for example, if you have an active and paid for service that we owe/must still render to you then obviously we can maintain the account. We also can deny a request if there's a pending investigation on your account or government entity requests it be preserved, or other legal request. We can even maintain your account if we wanted as long as we anonymize it in some way. We can reject a request or only process it to the level that it is requested if you are not specific about your request. And finally, you can't just request it in any way you want, it has to at least prove ownership or be at a similar level as when you created the account, so while we can't just make it difficult to do for the sake of making it difficult, something such as requesting you don't make a ticket as a guest is allowed, or verifying the information to prove it's actually your account is allowed.

Anyway, none of the above matters. We just can't process your request as a guest, that should be abundantly obvious, just like a guest can't just request your information or gain access to your service.

@TimboJones said: Also, when someone tries this hard to remove their data, besides being narcissistic, I lean towards them being a pedophile/malware/spammer/douche and needing to clean up all online connections.

In this case, without giving away too much information as this guy is clearly very sensitive about his privacy (which is fine, even though he is publicly speaking about this matter now) it looks like the account in question may have been closed for other reasons and we have to maintain some minimal information for antifraud measures. As in, we did not want this person making any additional orders.

The account information was changed to gibberish by someone, and his country to somewhere outside the EU, and made it more difficult for it to ever get processed and that's if he ever makes it far enough to make a valid request. It looks like he maybe requested deletion a long time ago, before GDPR, and his request would have been denied if that was the case at the time. Then he may have replied to that old ticket that was initially regarding something completely different and in that case he would have been told to email us. Before this, it looks like some guest made a ticket trying to purchase something, probably under a new account I cannot locate or he changed his mind when he realized he already had an account still? Then the guest goes straight to making multiple tickets for the GDPR request, submitted incorrectly, and marks it as a "legal notice" to get his desired attention. In the ticket the guest incorrectly makes some claims, such as that we need to give him information of our data controller (as described above, not required for us.) Then he says he's never ordered a service even though he clearly had if he were who he claimed to be, threatens legal action, requests/demands that we follow up with confirmations, and says we have to remove his personal data even though it was already changed it to gibberish (if he is who he claimed to be.) He also demands we delete a guest ticket created by some guest, whether or not it's him, it's a guest ticket and not part of the other guest's tickets or the claimed account data.

@MrWonder said: Virmach refused to delete my account and refused to delete my data and they declared their refusal based on the argument that I need to send an email.

We haven't refused anything yet. Telling someone to make a proper request doesn't necessarily mean it is yet refused, but it is likely that the request will not be processed since the account in question is closed for other reasons and it is set to not be in the EU, by whoever last accessed it. At this point I have a feeling even if we were to honor the request you wouldn't even be able to tell us basic information to validate that the account was yours but if you do send an email we can at least clear the email address and put it in a private note instead (in case the account holder claims it is hacked in the future and wants to recover it, since at a glance it does look like that could be a possibility.)

Hint, if you want to know what email to send the request to, you can always ask in a ticket instead of just spamming additional GDPR requests where you do not ask for the email. As in specifically title the guest ticket in a way where you ask us for where to send an email if you cannot log in to make the request, to validate your email and leave out all the rest.

We don't publish the email but it can easily be located if you look around, or you can just ask in a guest ticket and just mention you cannot get into your account to make a request (you don't even need to mention GDPR, the email will be disclosed to you, it's the email we use to validate requests are from the proper email address associated with an account.)

@drizbo said:
    Is there any very rough timeline for AMS migration maybe?

I'll hopefully have some information on it at a later date.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • MrWonderMrWonder Member
    edited November 2021

You people are not only irresponsible but, far beyond that, arrogant and nasty.

Before writing above bulshit, as your defence of GDRP, you could have simply sent me an email to the email address mentioned in my account and given me your email to which the request should be sent. Any person thinking objective and is business oriented, would never enter into such a conversation. You do that in a gigantic dimension.

I am sooo pleased not to be your client.

Even than the following fact remains undefended by you:

You did not delete my account upon my request and asked me to send an email. You did not give me an email. Now you say that I should have asked you for your email address. I have written you - as a guest - to inform me your email address. But until today, you did not answer to my ticket.

This shows your malicious intentions and a great affinity to play childish games and enjoy the pleasure of arrogance.

I have specifically requested in a ticket to tell me which email address I should send my request. you have not answered my request until today.

You are hiding your email address as well as postal address on your website.

If you want to make sure that person gets your message, then you should send your email to the account holder asking to confirm. My email address in the system is my firstname @ lastname. With this you knew, or should have recognized that the account was not hacked.

Why are you not doing that?

@VirMach At this point I have a feeling even if we were to honor the request you wouldn't even be able to tell us basic information to validate that the account was yours but if you do send an email we can at least clear the email address and put it in a private note instead (in case the account holder claims it is hacked in the future and wants to recover it, since at a glance it does look like that could be a possibility.)

Shall we continue to debate your above statement before the competent courts? Do you really think you could do what you want and play with someone's private data the way you want, merely by giving foolish explanations like above?

What you do shows that you do want to invest much more time for unproductive discussions.

You simply want to play a childish game here, and in the real world, you want to justify your nasty actions, thinking that you are a primary owner of my personal data.

How about now sending me an email asking me to answer your email to confirm the deletion of my account?

Do you notice that you are destroying you own image for offering such arrogant justifications as above?

edited November 2021

@MrWonder said: MIND YOU, I SHALL FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST YOU WITHIN THE EUROPEAN JURISDICTION

Okay. Just make sure that they don't serve the notice of the lawsuit via guest ticket. If you change your mind though and it's more convenient, you can always create a ticket requesting more information from us on where to send an email verifying your account ownership for a closed account so we can better assist you.

• Do I have to kiss your feets to make you believe that I have created a ticket that is open.

In the above message, I have now mentioned thrice that i created a ticket.

Why are you playing childish games and destroying your company's image here?

Why don't you publish your address on your website and why do you keep all that legal information secret? Are you making a business from home?

• @MrWonder said: Why are you playing childish games and destroying your company's image here?

You proceed from a false assumption.

• @MrWonder said: and destroying your company's image here?

He don't.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2021

@MrWonder said:

Do I have to kiss your feets to make you believe that I have created a ticket that is open.

In the above message, I have now mentioned thrice that i created a ticket.

It's strange you didn't list the ticket number and date submitted. You're not efficient at all.

Why are you playing childish games and destroying your company's image here?

I only respect the guy even more for having an abundance of patience I do not have. He very clearly explained his position.

What is GDPR position on records kept for fraud and abuse? I'm going to guess there are exceptions for obvious reasons.

Why don't you publish your address on your website and why do you keep all that legal information secret? Are you making a business from home?

Legal information should be found from legal sources. And Virmach is one of the few LET providers who have an actual office and since this is all virtual, it wouldn't be held against him if it were regardless.

Thanked by 2skorous Xrmaddness
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

mrwonder is a jsg alt lolz