Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ S U M M E R H O S T S A L E ★ From $9/YR ★ 1GB $15/YR ★ Transfers To Ryzen ★ Easter Eggs - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ S U M M E R H O S T S A L E ★ From $9/YR ★ 1GB $15/YR ★ Transfers To Ryzen ★ Easter Eggs

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

@TimboJones said:
    That's just one application requirement, doesn't account for all the other applications and OS requirements.

... but static and small dynamic web sites are a very big chunk of what VPS are used for.

No, I'm specifically saying your application requirement is much less than the OS and package and security overhead.

If you're going to dinner with the missus, you can drive a two seater car. But if you're bringing the kids, you need a 4 seater, or more.

Bad analogy, but it's still a car analogy.

Depends on the OS. With Ubuntu you are probably right but not with a small OS. Anyway, it can be done. I know it because I did it dozens of times with 256 MB VPSs. And there I'm not even talking about special tiny distros, compiling the kernel myself (and trimming it down by about 50%), or trimming down the distro - all of which can be done.

• @TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

@TimboJones said:
    That's just one application requirement, doesn't account for all the other applications and OS requirements.

... but static and small dynamic web sites are a very big chunk of what VPS are used for.

No, I'm specifically saying your application requirement is much less than the OS and package and security overhead.

If you're going to dinner with the missus, you can drive a two seater car. But if you're bringing the kids, you need a 4 seater, or more.

Bad analogy, but it's still a car analogy.

Needs more shit analogies...

• Look, you gotta grab that bull by the low hanging fruit. Sure, you could kidnap a supermodel, or a bus full of cheerleaders, but sometimes you just need a sheep. If your package fits in the sheep then you can go to town.

• Do any of these servers have windows on. Just wanted to check before i bought anything.

• JabJabJabJab Member

@MatthewLeigh said: Do any of these servers have windows on. Just wanted to check before i bought anything.

I don't think they come with Windows, but

@VirMach said: As long as you abide by our terms of service, and the law, you can do whatever you want with your service. I know some customers may want to maybe try out Windows trial mode or have their own language version of Windows, as long as it doesn't violate something specifically it should be fine.

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • codydobycodydoby Member
    edited July 2021

@dahartigan said:
    @codydoby you are bringing such shame to your country, your family and your fellow mjjs now that you are singlehandedly the reason that Virmach will be more careful with Chinese people in China.

Take him downtown boys

Good morning.
    You have mentioned me about 10+ times when I am absent.
    Be continue.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@dahartigan said:
    @codydoby you are bringing such shame to your fellow mjjs

Does @dahartigan bring shame to the Nigh Sect?

Thanked by 2dahartigan vyas11
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Restocked 512MB Migration Special

• Do you have server in Singapore or Hong Kong?

• @yoursunny said:

@dahartigan said:

I bring shame to the Nigh Sect by allowing @codydoby to evade the Nigh End.

• msattmsatt Member

Is it 'normal' disabling AES-NI on newly purchased 768 Migration special or should I open a ticket?

`Thu 22 Jul 12:29:51 BST 2021

Basic System Information:

Processor : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    CPU cores : 1 @ 3399.998 MHz
    AES-NI : ❌ Disabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 729.3 MiB
    Swap : 2.4 GiB
    Disk : 14.7 GiB

`

@msatt said:
    Is it 'normal' disabling AES-NI on newly purchased 768 Migration special or should I open a ticket?

`

Hi, if you require it then you can open a ticket.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@msatt said:

`

weird, mine has it

Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2499.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled

Thanked by 1msatt
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited July 2021

@bruh21 said: weird, mine has it

That is some hidden feature in VirMach images tbh.
    If you install Gen 2 template you will have it enabled, if you install other it won't be enabled.

You can always re-install to Gen 2 (to enable) and then to something else you want... or ask VirMach support to enable that if not keen on reinstalling images.

Thanked by 1msatt
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2021

@JabJab said:

@bruh21 said: weird, mine has it

That is some hidden feature in VirMach images tbh.
    If you install Gen 2 template you will have it enabled, if you install other it won't be enabled.

You can always re-install to Gen 2 (to enable) and then to something else you want... or ask VirMach support to enable that if not keen on reinstalling images.

This was asked and answered on page 3 of this thread.
    It needs either a template reinstall (after that you can install ISO again so nobody peeks in your garden) or 233 push-ups.

@yoursunny said: Install Debian 6 template once, then reinstall to your desired OS.
    It's a hidden feature of SolusVM.
    @FrankZ said:
    I wonder how many people are reinstalling right now because you said this?

@yoursunny said: You can also do 233 push-ups in front of the VNC window to activate host model CPU. 🐶
    @VirMach said:
    If anyone actually does this and records it I'll activate host model CPU for them.

Thanked by 2msatt SinV
  • msattmsatt Member
    edited July 2021

Because of discussion about snooping (not virmach) etc, I installed from live CD/cdrom and not via a template first.
    Raised a ticket (as suggested) and if necessary I will re-install from template, check AES-NI, reinstall from cdrom and check AES-NI.

Edit - update
    Waiting for ticket so took advice and installed 16.04 from template, ran yabs and this time got

`Thu Jul 22 18:48:40 BST 2021

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W v2 @ 3.40GHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 740.3 MiB
    Swap : 256.0 MiB
    Disk : 14.5 GiB
    `

Note Processor is now Intel. Proceeding to do the live CD install of 20.04.
    Closed support ticket.

Update - After CD Install AES-NI and processor have been retained :)

`Thu 22 Jul 20:30:27 BST 2021

Swap : 1.4 GiB
    `

• @msatt said:
    Because of discussion about snooping (not virmach) etc, I installed from live CD/cdrom and not via a template first.
    Raised a ticket (as suggested) and if necessary I will re-install from template, check AES-NI, reinstall from cdrom and check AES-NI.

Edit - update
    Waiting for ticket so took advice and installed 16.04 from template, ran yabs and this time got

`Thu Jul 22 18:48:40 BST 2021

RAM : 740.3 MiB
    Swap : 256.0 MiB
    Disk : 14.5 GiB
    `

Note Processor is now Intel. Proceeding to do the live CD install of 20.04.
    Closed support ticket.

Update - After CD Install AES-NI and processor have been retained :)

`Thu 22 Jul 20:30:27 BST 2021

Swap : 1.4 GiB
    `

FYI

cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep -i AES

Thanked by 1msatt
  • @dahartigan said:

@yoursunny said:

@dahartigan said:

I bring shame to the Nigh Sect by allowing @codydoby to evade the Nigh End.

be continue

Thanked by 1bdl
  • Regarding the migration specials; Will the file system be lost when the migration happens? If not, do we get a notice (like a day before) that the migration is going to happen the next day, so that I can backup my 2MB of data that I use on it? :P

• Also, is paypal a payment option any more? I used to have other services with you that I paid annually with paypal through the invoice menu. I cannot "add funds" or pay during placing an order.

• FranzkafkaFranzkafka Member
    edited August 2021

I ordered one,But the service is not satisfying enough for me.Why your ubantu os is just ubantu16,can U update to the lastest Ubantu20?And the cpu is still E5-2670,when will it uldate to rayzen.Anyway,Thank you for your service

• @Franzkafka said:
    I ordered one,But the service is not satisfying enough for me.Why your ubantu os is just ubantu16,can U update to the lastest Ubantu20?And the cpu is still E5-2670,when will it uldate to rayzen.Anyway,Thanks you for your service

Dude, can't you read the post?

• bdlbdl Member
    edited August 2021

@chocolateshirt said:

@Franzkafka said:
    I ordered one,But the service is not satisfying enough for me.Why your ubantu os is just ubantu16,can U update to the lastest Ubantu20?And the cpu is still E5-2670,when will it uldate to rayzen.Anyway,Thanks you for your service

I don't think reading is their strong point, considering the Hosthatch thread...

With customers like these, providers are a patient breed!

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @bdl said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@Franzkafka said:

I don't think reading is their strong point, considering the Hosthatch thread...

With customers like these, providers are a patient breed!

Yeah, I remember this guy also hwve similar comment on HH offers thread..

Thanked by 1bdl

Sorry I haven't had time to post any more "limited term" temporary offers. I'm going to try to get a few of these posted and I'm going to post them on this thread first with a few really well-discounted ones since the servers have just been sitting there empty.

A few will be very close to essentially free for a month or two, but the majority will of course just be great offers but nothing insane. If you want the insane ones, stick around this thread.

• FREE and INSANE in one sentence... all it is missing it's VirtBot and 5 GB SSD!

• @VirMach said:
    Sorry I haven't had time to post any more "limited term" temporary offers. I'm going to try to get a few of these posted and I'm going to post them on this thread first with a few really well-discounted ones since the servers have just been sitting there empty.

A few will be very close to essentially free for a month or two, but the majority will of course just be great offers but nothing insane. If you want the insane ones, stick around this thread.

Ticket #177255 please.

Thanks

@hsmith123 said:

@VirMach said:

Ticket #177255 please.

Thanks

That ticket is for you to read, it's general information.

• @VirMach said:

Sound fantastic! waiting for the offers.

• @VirMach said:

@hsmith123 said:

@VirMach said:

Ticket #177255 please.

Thanks

That ticket is for you to read, it's general information.

Sorry, my bad.

i didn't read previous page before i post.

:)