Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ S U M M E R H O S T S A L E ★ From $9/YR ★ 1GB $15/YR ★ Transfers To Ryzen ★ Easter Eggs - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ S U M M E R H O S T S A L E ★ From $9/YR ★ 1GB $15/YR ★ Transfers To Ryzen ★ Easter Eggs

Comments

• Soon™

• hnzlethnzlet Member
    edited July 2021

@VirMach The latest version of OpenBSD is 6.9, you might consider updating your ISO from 6.4 (if that really is the version you offer). 6.4 has been unsupported since October 2019

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@hnzlet said:
    @VirMach The latest version of OpenBSD is 6.9, you might consider updating your ISO from 6.4 (if that really is the version you offer). 6.4 has been unsupported since October 2019

Yeah, we might want to consider redoing all ISOs and operating systems and having a proper update/maintenance schedule for them on our end.

• @VirMach said:

@hnzlet said:

Yeah, we might want to consider redoing all ISOs and operating systems and having a proper update/maintenance schedule for them on our end.

I'll update those images! Are you hiring? :)

• imokimok Member

@randomq said:

I'll update those images! Are you hiring? :)

Please don't replace them with PNGs. Again, that would not work!

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@VirMach said:

@jsg said:
    What ISOs do you provide? And can own ISOs be mounted and installed to, preferably without a ticket but simply via panel?

We're still working on custom ISO without ticket, until then it is unfortunately manual/ticket required but yes we can mount one for you.

We provide Windows trial ISO for recovery options, Debian 8, Ubuntu 14, Ubuntu 15, Ubuntu 16, CentOS 6.8, Debian 9, CentOS 7, Ubuntu 18 Server, Ubuntu 18 Desktop, FreeBSD 12.1, OpenBSD 6.4, CoreOS, Clonezilla, RancherOS, Debian 10, CentOS 8, Netboot, Alipine, Gparted, Ubuntu 20, SystemRescueCD, and boot-repair-disk right now.

Add netboot.xyz ISO and you just may cut down on your custom requests.

VirMach SolusVM has netboot.xyz already.
    However, netboot.xyz wants to load the entire installation disk into RAM.
    Ubuntu installer is pretty large, and it won't start on a 384MB or 512MB KVM.

Fuck 'em. This is 2021.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@VirMach said:

@jsg said:
    What ISOs do you provide? And can own ISOs be mounted and installed to, preferably without a ticket but simply via panel?

We're still working on custom ISO without ticket, until then it is unfortunately manual/ticket required but yes we can mount one for you.

We provide Windows trial ISO for recovery options, Debian 8, Ubuntu 14, Ubuntu 15, Ubuntu 16, CentOS 6.8, Debian 9, CentOS 7, Ubuntu 18 Server, Ubuntu 18 Desktop, FreeBSD 12.1, OpenBSD 6.4, CoreOS, Clonezilla, RancherOS, Debian 10, CentOS 8, Netboot, Alipine, Gparted, Ubuntu 20, SystemRescueCD, and boot-repair-disk right now.

Fuck 'em. This is 2021.

Nope. Even 256 MB is plenty for a name server and 512 MB is good enough for many things, even for a (well designed that is, without e.g. MySQL) dynamic web site.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited July 2021

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@VirMach said:

@jsg said:

Fuck 'em. This is 2021.

That's right. If my 128mb vps in 2021 elects to self identify as a 2gb vps it would be unacceptable to discriminate on the grounds of memory. That wasn't a stab at Biden, I promise.

• Are the latest operating systems available on these servers? Because I have VPS with Virmach, the latest Linux OS is not available there.

• skz_1skz_1 Member

Hello,

For example if I buy:
    3GB MIGRATION SPECIAL
    $35.00 /yr

Will I be able to renew this plan at the same price after one year? If not, what the price will be on renewal?

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@skz_1 said:
    Hello,

For example if I buy:
    3GB MIGRATION SPECIAL
    $35.00 /yr

Will I be able to renew this plan at the same price after one year? If not, what the price will be on renewal?

Yes you will be able to renew at same price after 1 year. It will also be migrated to Ryzen in the near future

Disclaimer: Not from VirMach team but just helping to answer

• @FAT32 said: near future

Soon™

Thanked by 2FAT32 imok

@GreenPeace said: Are the latest operating systems available on these servers? Because I have VPS with Virmach, the latest Linux OS is not available there.

You can select Other on dropdown and type it in for dedicated servers, and for VPS you can use custom ISO request.

• @VirMach when will be the Directadmin license available?

• @jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@VirMach said:

@jsg said:

Fuck 'em. This is 2021.

Nope. Even 256 MB is plenty for a name server and 512 MB is good enough for many things, even for a (well designed that is, without e.g. MySQL) dynamic web site.

That's just one application requirement, doesn't account for all the other applications and OS requirements.

• @jsg said: Nope. Even 256 MB is plenty for a name server and 512 MB is good enough for many things, even for a (well designed that is, without e.g. MySQL) dynamic web site.

How about 96MB and 3GB HDD space, couple years ago these were the standard for LEVPS , even though it's enough to have dynamic WP website if you replaced MySQL with SQLite, me still considered 512+ MB RAM minimal only if trying to install GUI OS.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@TimboJones said:
    That's just one application requirement, doesn't account for all the other applications and OS requirements.

... but static and small dynamic web sites are a very big chunk of what VPS are used for.

@JustPfff said:
    How about 96MB and 3GB HDD space, couple years ago these were the standard for LEVPS , even though it's enough to have dynamic WP website if you replaced MySQL with SQLite, me still considered 512+ MB RAM minimal only if trying to install GUI OS.

Well, one could go even further. How about 4 or 8 MB memory? After all very, very many small plastic boxes (e.g. routers) work - incl. a "dynamic web server" - with just a couple of MB. Or even how about 100 KB memory? One can run a (primitive, granted) http server on the tiny bit of memory built into a MCU.

But nowadays 256 MB or 512 MB is the minimum size for commonly available VPSs that actually can be useful (which is what this was about). Btw, don't forget that the OSs also got hungrier and quite a few e.g. linux distros that worked fine with 128 MB mem. 10 or 15 years ago nowadays want min. e.g 512 MB or even 1 GB.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jsg said:
    How about 4 or 8 MB memory? After all very, very many small plastic boxes (e.g. routers) work - incl. a "dynamic web server" - with just a couple of MB.

OpenWrt no longer supports 32MB RAM devices.
    The minimal is 64MB in OpenWrt 21.02.
    https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning

Or even how about 100 KB memory? One can run a (primitive, granted) http server on the tiny bit of memory built into a MCU.

This is certainly possible.
    I've done it on the ESP8266 in 80KB RAM.
    There's no HTTPS though.

But nowadays 256 MB or 512 MB is the minimum size for commonly available VPSs that actually can be useful

I have VirMach BF-2017, $4/year, 384MB RAM, 22GB SSD, 100GB monthly transfer.
    Should I cancel?

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    Should I cancel?

no, give it to me

edited July 2021

@yoursunny said:

@jsg said:
    How about 4 or 8 MB memory? After all very, very many small plastic boxes (e.g. routers) work - incl. a "dynamic web server" - with just a couple of MB.

@jsg said:
    Btw, don't forget that the OSs also got hungrier ...

But nowadays 256 MB or 512 MB is the minimum size for commonly available VPSs that actually can be useful

Should I cancel?

Absolutely, because 384 is an evil number.
    (jokes aside: Note the 'commonly' in what I said. We can of course play funny 'Mine got 416 MB' games but 256 MB or 512 MB happen to be the common sizes. But of course any size that suits your needs is fine)

• NativeNative Member

<3

@MohamadSY said:
    @VirMach when will be the Directadmin license available?

Probably never.

I think we spoke with them a while back to try to get a license deal going but they didn't seem interested in providing discounts to the level required to make it work. Maybe I'm wrong, that's just how I remember it. This was around the peak of cPanel being hated and them being popular though so perhaps they were trying to shift toward higher profits.

@jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@VirMach said:

@jsg said:

Fuck 'em. This is 2021.

@JustPfff said:

@jsg said: Nope. Even 256 MB is plenty for a name server and 512 MB is good enough for many things, even for a (well designed that is, without e.g. MySQL) dynamic web site.

@TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@VirMach said:

@jsg said:

Fuck 'em. This is 2021.

@jsg said: But nowadays 256 MB or 512 MB is the minimum size for commonly available VPSs that actually can be useful (which is what this was about). Btw, don't forget that the OSs also got hungrier and quite a few e.g. linux distros that worked fine with 128 MB mem. 10 or 15 years ago nowadays want min. e.g 512 MB or even 1 GB.

@yoursunny said:

@jsg said:

Or even how about 100 KB memory? One can run a (primitive, granted) http server on the tiny bit of memory built into a MCU.

There's no HTTPS though.

Should I cancel?

We're really considering phasing out the 256MB/384MB packages due to the number of tickets we get and generally people being upset because they're trying to run something on them that won't work. It ends up not being worth it and at that point it'd probably be better for everyone if they at least had 512MB.

For example certain operating systems function with 256MB but then networking and other basic services randomly break. Others have problem running something basic like a general update.

Then depending on what someone's running that can break too but that's generally a problem we have regardless of plans size (such as someone trying to run like 10 instances of a program that needs 1GB per instance on an 8GB package.)

@VirMach

I can follow your thinking but I for one would regret if you didn't offer 256 (and 384) MB VPS anymore. There are quite a few things 256 MB VPS is perfectly fine for if one wisely chooses an adequate OS.
    But then I generally regret the increasing bloat misery.

@jsg said:
    @VirMach

I can follow your thinking but I for one would regret if you didn't offer 256 (and 384) MB VPS anymore. There are quite a few things 256 MB VPS is perfectly fine for if one wisely chooses an adequate OS.
    But then I generally regret the increasing bloat misery.

Well, we would of course try to keep the pricing of 512MB package similar to 256-384MB in this scenario.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint JustPfff
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2021

@VirMach said:

@yoursunny said:

@jsg said:

Should I cancel?

We're really considering phasing out the 256MB/384MB packages due to the number of tickets we get and generally people being upset because they're trying to run something on them that won't work. It ends up not being worth it and at that point it'd probably be better for everyone if they at least had 512MB

I used to have Asterisk telephony service on the 384MB.
    It performs well and only needs 8MB RAM.

Now there's only a network probe.
    I wrote the program in Go, so it only needs 10MB.
    Caddy server does TLS termination, which takes another 10MB.

If I skip Docker and run the services with systemd, they would fit in 256MB.

sunny@vps5:~$ free -m
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            357         151           6           4         200         192
    Swap:           730          77         653

Bloated software such as large PHP app and databases aren't going to work well though.
    I tried Nextcloud in 2018, but it's extremely slow and I'm constantly in fear of exceeding CPU limit, so I deleted it after a month.

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • @yoursunny said:

@jsg said:

There's no HTTPS though.

Should I cancel?

grabbed the bf 2020 $4.95/yr 1gb LA offer and still haven't used it lol

• GanonkGanonk Member

@SirFoxy said:

grabbed the bf 2020 $4.95/yr 1gb LA offer and still haven't used it lol

i'm waiting you for transfer it to me <3

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @VirMach said:
    It's going to be approximately 30% more total thread count than this week's deals.

I'm excited. Any ETA on when you'll post these new deals?

• @VirMach said:

@GreenPeace said: Are the latest operating systems available on these servers? Because I have VPS with Virmach, the latest Linux OS is not available there.

You can select Other on dropdown and type it in for dedicated servers, and for VPS you can use custom ISO request.

So other than uploading the latest OS ISO, the latest OS templates are not available for VPS, right?

• @jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

... but static and small dynamic web sites are a very big chunk of what VPS are used for.

No, I'm specifically saying your application requirement is much less than the OS and package and security overhead.

If you're going to dinner with the missus, you can drive a two seater car. But if you're bringing the kids, you need a 4 seater, or more.

Bad analogy, but it's still a car analogy.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt