Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: A bunch of LEB hosts deadpooling ArkaHosting, SupremeVPS, UMaxHosting, Hosting73, HostBRZ, Ku - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: A bunch of LEB hosts deadpooling ArkaHosting, SupremeVPS, UMaxHosting, Hosting73, HostBRZ, Ku

Comments

• nomadicus said: since they just may not have pulled the plug yet

Earlier in this thread a message from ColoCrossing was passed on that from their end the would extend the deadline with 10 more days, so everything is expected to stay up until the weekend before Christmas.

• nomadicus said: It is not clear about 45-60 days. If you pay anual rate and the company terminates the service in 3 months, does that mean that PayPal will not help with the refund because transaction was done 90 days ago?

Paypal says Buyers can file chargebacks 120 days or more after an order’s been placed.
    But the actual chargeback is generally handled by creditcard companies, which allow even longer, depending.

• donlidonli Member
    edited December 2019

@nomadicus said:

It may not mean anything, since they just may not have pulled the plug yet and could do it at any moment. But still, don't you think it could mean something? Can anyone share whether or not their service has been really terminated?

ColoCrossing (the company where the servers are hosted) is letting people keep their servers for 10 more days so they can get their data off. So the plug has a few more days before it is pulled.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • nomadicusnomadicus Member
    edited December 2019

@pepa65 said:

nomadicus said: It is not clear about 45-60 days. If you pay anual rate and the company terminates the service in 3 months, does that mean that PayPal will not help with the refund because transaction was done 90 days ago?

Paypal says Buyers can file chargebacks 120 days or more after an order’s been placed.
    But the actual chargeback is generally handled by creditcard companies, which allow even longer, depending.

@pepa65: Thank you! It helps.

• @donli said:

@nomadicus said:

It may not mean anything, since they just may not have pulled the plug yet and could do it at any moment. But still, don't you think it could mean something? Can anyone share whether or not their service has been really terminated?

ColoCrossing (the company where the servers are hosted) is letting people keep their servers for 10 more days so they can get their data off. So you the plug has a few more days before it is pulled.

@donli: Thanks. Now that makes sense.

• CC HAVE SAVED THE DAY

• dahartigan said: CC HAVE SAVED THE DAY

Damage control? "Good cop" routine??

• @pepa65 said:

dahartigan said: CC HAVE SAVED THE DAY

More like the firefighters who light fires to be the hero to put them out..

Thanked by 2pepa65 TimboJones
  • somik said: It still will as the seller can just withdraw all his money to bank and close the PayPal account. You can still get your money back from PayPal but the seller also gets your money. So in the end, PayPal is the one who ends up paying for it.

not so easy , normaly paypal will sell this account to a local reprezentant and this one will follow you until will recuperate the money .. at least i know in eu is how is work.

Thanked by 2pepa65 pullangcubo
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2019

@pepa65 said:

dahartigan said: CC HAVE SAVED THE DAY

Also may serve to delay and/or otherwise complicate refund claims

though I suspect that might just be an accidental side effect

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Nick - with all due respect - this supposed "former client" ... uh, they wouldn't happen to be someone you know, would they?

I mean - sometimes I just don't know ...

And other times, I really just don't know.

And ... well, this feels like it might be one of those other times, you know?

(Seriously though, nothing personal - but whoever stuck you with the task of playing spokescritter for this particular leg of the boiler room jig probably isn't paying you enough to take the heat when the music stops and the subpoenas start coming down. I dunno, bro...)

• I love your command of the English language, sir @uptime

Thanked by 1uptime
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@somik said:l

@deank said:
    Individually the amount is small. But if every single person who got scammed in this fiasco got their money back, a shitty play like this wouldn't occur as frequently as it has been.

It still will as the seller can just withdraw all his money to bank and close the PayPal account. You can still get your money back from PayPal but the seller also gets your money. So in the end, PayPal is the one who ends up paying for it.

They send the debt collectors after you if you close your account. They don't let you get away with it.

Thanked by 2pepa65 pullangcubo
  • So guys I'm curious. I still have access to my vps from SparkVPS. I'm not sure why if they closed the doors then shouldn't that mean the servers go offline???

Thanked by 1tech101usa
  • @ZechsArmyYT said:
    So guys I'm curious. I still have access to my vps from SparkVPS. I'm not sure why if they closed the doors then shouldn't that mean the servers go offline???

It's because the datacenter where the servers are located are keeping them on for an extra 10 days, nobody really knows why, but at this stage it looks like a publicity stunt.

Thanked by 2ZechsArmyYT pepa65
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited December 2019

With how recent BF was, CC is probably still paid up for the next 20 days. Of course they were in on it, no different than Alpha Racks. CC isn’t dumb, if a client is scamming through them, their marketing, and their brand sites like LEB - of course they are involved in it. It’s in their best interest to have long time repeat stable clients. So if this happens a lot, like escalating yearly, and they actively protect the persons identity each time - then allow it to happen again and again without interruption... I mean come on. This is as obvious as it gets to me anyway.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • @cociu said:

somik said: It still will as the seller can just withdraw all his money to bank and close the PayPal account. You can still get your money back from PayPal but the seller also gets your money. So in the end, PayPal is the one who ends up paying for it.

not so easy , normaly paypal will sell this account to a local reprezentant and this one will follow you until will recuperate the money .. at least i know in eu is how is work.

@Jord said:

@deank said:
    Individually the amount is small. But if every single person who got scammed in this fiasco got their money back, a shitty play like this wouldn't occur as frequently as it has been.

It still will as the seller can just withdraw all his money to bank and close the PayPal account. You can still get your money back from PayPal but the seller also gets your money. So in the end, PayPal is the one who ends up paying for it.

They send the debt collectors after you if you close your account. They don't let you get away with it.

Didn't know PayPal has debt collectors! Hope they send the full force after the hosts.

But then again, if the address they provided are fake, most likely they provided fake addresses for PayPal as well. In that case debt collectors won't help.

As for bringing the money out, they could laundering to multiple PayPal accounts and withdraw or spent them separately.

@somik said:

@cociu said:

somik said: It still will as the seller can just withdraw all his money to bank and close the PayPal account. You can still get your money back from PayPal but the seller also gets your money. So in the end, PayPal is the one who ends up paying for it.

@Jord said:

@deank said:

Didn't know PayPal has debt collectors! Hope they send the full force after the hosts.

But then again, if the address they provided are fake, most likely they provided fake addresses for PayPal as well. In that case debt collectors won't help.

As for bringing the money out, they could laundering to multiple PayPal accounts and withdraw or spent them separately.

Yeah they use a global firm to get their money back. But they will take it further if its a lot of money they lose. Of course if they can't get any or all of it they probably have enough money or insurance to not worry about it.

But if they get a sniff of them opening up another PayPal account they will start the proceedings again.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2019

KermEd said: So if this happens a lot, like escalating yearly, and they actively protect the persons identity each time - then allow it to happen again and again without interruption... I mean come on.

• CC is the victim here, but they are offering 10 days extra for the customers, this is how much they care !

• hahaha... too many thread pages to read.

• After all of those yearly offer on LEB, now it's back to monthly? Seriously?

• tgltgl Member
    edited December 2019

Article updated on December 8 with the explanation for "deadpooling."

_A source in the web hosting industry who wanted to remain anonymous told ZDNet that what happened this weekend is often referred to as "deadpooling" -- namely, the practice of setting up a small web hosting company, providing ultra-cheap VPS servers for a few dollars a month, and then shutting down a few months later, without refunding customers.
    _

was that you @Jord?

• @tgl said:

_A source in the web hosting industry who wanted to remain anonymous told ZDNet that what happened this weekend is often referred to as "deadpooling" -- namely, the practice of setting up a small web hosting company, providing ultra-cheap VPS servers for a few dollars a month, and then shutting down a few months later, without refunding customers.
    _

was that you @Jord?

@Jord is a Panda in the web hosting industry, they would have mentioned that if it was him, not just "source" :-)

Thanked by 1Jord

@tgl said:

_

was that you @Jord?

Nope wasn't me. I never get asked haha

• I had a shared hosting and vps on hostbrz for a while. When my shared hosting emails kept bouncing because the IP got spam blacklisted, they gave me baloney answers and weren't interested in removing the actual spammers so I packed up and left.

• levelKrolevelKro Member
    edited December 2019

@Skidmark said:
    I had a shared hosting and vps on hostbrz for a while. When my shared hosting emails kept bouncing because the IP got spam blacklisted, they gave me baloney answers and weren't interested in removing the actual spammers so I packed up and left.

You can email work with IP blaclisted with some tips;

• Add a full configured and limited SPF entry in the DNS
    • Add DMARC restrictions in the DNS
    • Add DKIM instructions in the DNS
    • Use only secure port, and be sure to have secure connection between your email client and the smtp server, is for keep the TLS/SSL security (must use TLS).
    • Limit the messages rate output of your STMP server and secure it with user/password (not public relay) for inbound emails (you want sent), the port 25 can be valid, but use 587 for smtp connections.

This steps work for me, only problem with Microsoft (1/2 are accepted), and is the result of wrong mail trap server (long story). Before, all message was flagged like a Spam. Alos, don't forget to make a full header and add the value for unsubscribe. :)

Thanked by 1gks
  • So I pushed CC for an answer as to what happened. Here's the response I got from Chris Fabozzi:

Unfortunately we are not able to comment on the situation, we have made a public statement that we were going to keep the servers on for 10 additional days to help customers move data. >

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • In Soviet lowend, situation comments on you!

Thanked by 2pepa65 vimalware