Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 51
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @alilet said:
    My free trial ended more than a month ago so it's not like once your free trial ends then you have to recreate VM to keep them always free.

There was a time that was the case and I thought it still was.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited September 2022

@TimboJones said:

@alilet said:
    My free trial ended more than a month ago so it's not like once your free trial ends then you have to recreate VM to keep them always free.

I signed up in April, created a max CPU/RAM/GB ARM VM the first day, and it's still going without issue.

Pretty sure those issues were just the initial adopters.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@nikozin said: Also, it's a pain to run vanilla Debian on their instances

i wonder what you did.

wget -O debi.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohanyang/debi/master/debi.sh
    bash debi.sh --user root

• Thank you for using Oracle Cloud Services. Your (Cloud Account: -------) terminated on . However, it would be a pleasure to serve you in the near future. We can be reached at www.oracle.com/cloud.

Just received that today, was running just a small transparent proxy for a service.

• Is it just me or is the OCI dashboard not loading properly for anyone? Its a pain if I need to modify the security list. Also the instances table shows up blank with a cryptic message in red. Though the vps works fine.

• @Alic said:
    Is it just me or is the OCI dashboard not loading properly for anyone? Its a pain if I need to modify the security list. Also the instances table shows up blank with a cryptic message in red. Though the vps works fine.

I had something similar literally on the prior page of this thread. If you're using Brave, disable Shields for the site. Otherwise disable your adblocker.

• @TimRoo said:

@TimboJones said:

@alilet said:

I signed up in April, created a max CPU/RAM/GB ARM VM the first day, and it's still going without issue.

Pretty sure those issues were just the initial adopters.

I also wouldn't rule out Oracle incompetence.

Thanked by 2TimRoo z9876z
  • Since my VM was deleted a few days ago so today I went to create a new VM and this is what I got:

The initial request to list available images failed. Either no resources exist, or you don't have permission to view them in the current compartment.

• @alilet said:
    Since my VM was deleted a few days ago so today I went to create a new VM and this is what I got:

The initial request to list available images failed. Either no resources exist, or you don't have permission to view them in the current compartment.

Yep, this is happening for Hyderabad region and (for a friend) in Singapore region. Looks to me O want to ration resources.

• @Alic said:

@alilet said:
    Since my VM was deleted a few days ago so today I went to create a new VM and this is what I got:

Yep, this is happening for Hyderabad region and (for a friend) in Singapore region. Looks to me O want to ration resources.

I do believe them in the sense that resources are not available for that region. I wonder if people are having their VMs/accounts deleted for 1) just some Oracle bug when resources max out and new people sign up or 2) just deleting free accounts whenever some paying customer wants resources.

Not defending either case of course, but it's a plausible explanation for what's happening.

• Yeah resources could be an issue. My region is US West (Phoenix)

• @alilet said:

On the left side, make sure your tenancy is selected and your not one level up (root).

To me, it's like a bad webGUI change where instead of defaulting to my tenancy, I have to select after failing on the wrong level or some shit.

Tl;dr I suspect they changed something and I now click more to get around than I recall in the past.

• @TimboJones said:

@alilet said:

On the left side, make sure your tenancy is selected and your not one level up (root).

To me, it's like a bad webGUI change where instead of defaulting to my tenancy, I have to select after failing on the wrong level or some shit.

Tl;dr I suspect they changed something and I now click more to get around than I recall in the past.

Nope that's not the case. I have checked that.

• @alilet said:

It is the same as me, I get silently booted, VPS gone, no notice or anything, fast forward a week, and I receive an email saying this. I was in frankfurt.

Thank you for using Oracle Cloud Services. Your (Cloud Account: -------) terminated on . However, it would be a pleasure to serve you in the near future. We can be reached at www.oracle.com/cloud.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • regarding of many deleted always free vms in singapore, do they running out of ipv4 there?
    a little bit dissapointed that i've spent times to setup a vm and they just delete it with no specific reason

• @ElonBezos said:
    regarding of many deleted always free vms in singapore, do they running out of ipv4 there?
    a little bit dissapointed that i've spent times to setup a vm and they just delete it with no specific reason

That's why nobody takes Oracle Cloud seriously. It is a fucking joke.

• aliletalilet Member
    edited September 2022

Opened a ticket and this is what I received.

Your account was suspended for violation of our Terms of Use. If you believe this decision was in error, you may request a secondary review.
    Your secondary review is currently underway, we expect a response in 2 business days.

No idea what violation I did. I was just using it as a backup. A cron job was running every hour on my primary VPS which was using rsync to sync WooCommerce site on Oracle. My site size is around 2.5GB (as it has a lot of images) but rsync only synced it once and then later it only moves changed or new files. So it's not like it was syncing 2.5GB data every hour.

Here's the command:
    rsync -av -e ssh /var/www/mywebsite/html/* oracle:/tmp/mywebsite_backup/files

• Received this response from Oracle today:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your account. We have escalated your account for review and it was determined that it will remain closed. This decision is final.

The only information we can share with you is our public documentation on services usage, available here: https://www.oracle.com/assets/cloud-csa-v012418-sg-eng-4419911.pdf

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @alilet said:
    Received this response from Oracle today:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your account. We have escalated your account for review and it was determined that it will remain closed. This decision is final.

The only information we can share with you is our public documentation on services usage, available here: https://www.oracle.com/assets/cloud-csa-v012418-sg-eng-4419911.pdf

Oh they’re replying now. Cool.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited September 2022

@alilet said:
    No idea what violation I did. I was just using it as a backup. A cron job was running every hour on my primary VPS

I wonder if they're using the same blocks that other sites are using to check for VPNs, which often catch VPS's from different providers too (data centers, basically). But instead of blocks, it's being flagged as inappropriate network traffic and leading to cancelations. Or rather since your traffic is not coming from a residential IP it's being considered commercial use, and thus in violation of their rules. Because they don't know otherwise and don't care about the edge cases for their free product.

So maybe the big takeaway is always use a residential IP to access your Oracle free tier, and you'll be ok? Maybe?

• cadddrcadddr Member
    edited September 2022

I suspect they are now deleting accounts of users that didn't upgrade to paid service as they reach the critical mass of "customer acquisition".

• @TimRoo said:

@alilet said:
    No idea what violation I did. I was just using it as a backup. A cron job was running every hour on my primary VPS

I wonder if they're using the same blocks that other sites are using to check for VPNs, which often catch VPS's from different providers too (data centers, basically). But instead of blocks, it's being flagged as inappropriate network traffic and leading to cancelations. Or rather since your traffic is not coming from a residential IP it's being considered commercial use, and thus in violation of their rules. Because they don't know otherwise and don't care about the edge cases for their free product.

So maybe the big takeaway is always use a residential IP to access your Oracle free tier, and you'll be ok? Maybe?

May be but no one can tell for sure. But one thing is for sure do not run cron job from another VPS to access Oracle cloud. At least not every hour.

• @cadddr said:
    I suspect they are now deleting accounts of users that didn't upgrade to paid service as they reach the critical mass of "customer acquisition".

In other words, Larry Ellison needs a new yacht.

• @alilet said:

Did you ever used VPN to login into your Oracle account?
    Cause I think that can be an issue for many people banned. Datacenter IP and possibly abuse from same IP or same block.

• @AXYZE said:

@alilet said:

Cause I think that can be an issue for many people banned. Datacenter IP and possibly abuse from same IP or same block.

Nope. Never.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited September 2022

@alilet said:

@AXYZE said:

@alilet said:

Nope. Never.

That's the thing though - most VPNs run out of the same datacenters as VPSs. So Oracle just bans the whole IP range. So to them it doesn't matter.

EDIT: yeah I guess that's more or less what AXYZE was saying.

• I understand they are giving a free tier but the way the mis'treat their free tier customers is appalling for the stature of Oracle.

I read a few reports saying Oracle has come up as 2nd or 3rd largest cloud provider in the last 3-4 quarters, I guess haywire free tier sign ups were just allowed to 'bloat' their subscription numbers and show some stats to the analysts... in between they are a hollow company just interested in enterprise-level customers only.

The other day, I was trying to go on 'paid' tier with my IBM cloud account that I had signed up 2 years back. It had trouble validating 3 of my credit cards and gave me a notice to send email to '[email protected]' with the transaction IDs. Did that and got a call in a few hours from an IBM rep who said the transactions had a problem from 'their' side and that he is manually verifying that I tried to attach my card 'in person'. He said all is set and he also confirmed which of the 3 cards he will enable for transaction in the future. Next morning, I have a blatant email from the 'same' guy saying :

We have reviewed your account/transaction and will not be able to offer services. No further information will be disclosed regarding this matter. Any card authorizations will reverse within 24-72 hours depending on the issuing bank.
    Regards,
    Cloud Trust Enablement Team
    IBM Cloud
    [email protected]

They think everyone in the individual tier is a 16yr old script kiddie trying to abuse their infra. However, in a way, they made me sure NOT TO USE their services for production ever because these big giants just don't care about the small businesses at all and know they can refuse service without explanation any day. F*ck you IBM

Thanked by 1alilet
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited October 2022

So which region that still available to launch arm compute instance ??

I want to trying

• @add_iT said:
    So which region that still available to launch arm compute instance ??

I want to trying

Up

Maybe any suggestion ?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2022

Hyd.ind has free slots i guess. Just deleted and created a few instances