Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 49
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @alilet said: Do we know what constitutes an active user? Like if we need to login to Oracle Cloud every 30 days to consider it active?

As far I know, you need to log in every 60 days. But my account was active even after more than 120 days.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2022

@Hakim said: As far I know, you need to log in every 60 days.

This was listed for a while on some page on their website, but then they removed that.

• Just get a cheap $12/year vps from popular providers on LET. You can save much time and effort than dealing with problems from Oracle.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • i'm sure i have log in to their dashboard once a month or maybe more just to check if there's any surprising bills to my cc LOL 😂

Thanked by 3ralf alilet Chuck
  • Yo, how much bandwith does oracle provide?

• @tmepy said:
    Yo, how much bandwith does oracle provide?

10TB

Thanked by 1tmepy
  • @comXyz said:
    Just get a cheap $12/year vps from popular providers on LET. You can save much time and effort than dealing with problems from Oracle.

$12/year for 24GB memory?

• @dragon1993 sure, contact me

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@comXyz said:
    @dragon1993 sure, contact me

You need a Host Rep tag to reply to requests

(Potential buyer beware)

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • @angstrom said: You need a Host Rep tag to reply to requests

I only rent out 24GB memory for $12/year this time.
    I don't think there will be another weird user who only needs 24GB memory and nothing else.

• @Hakim said:

@alilet said: Do we know what constitutes an active user? Like if we need to login to Oracle Cloud every 30 days to consider it active?

As far I know, you need to log in every 60 days. But my account was active even after more than 120 days.

• ralfralf Member

@comXyz said:

@angstrom said: You need a Host Rep tag to reply to requests

I only rent out 24GB memory for $12/year this time.
    I don't think there will be another weird user who only needs 24GB memory and nothing else.

Weren't you trying to rent a VPS for yourself only a couple of days ago? That doesn't suggest you're best suited to act as a provider for someone else.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@sidewinder said:

@Hakim said:

@alilet said: Do we know what constitutes an active user? Like if we need to login to Oracle Cloud every 30 days to consider it active?

Getting 24 gigs of ram with 4 ocpu's and IPv4 is pretty generous, and logging in every 60 days isn't that hard either.

• @ralf said: Weren't you trying to rent a VPS for yourself only a couple of days ago? That doesn't suggest you're best suited to act as a provider for someone else.

What are you talking about? I don't understand both sentences.

• Why do I need to login every 60 days? I'm trying to reduce electricity usage costs.
    I don't want to get blamed for global warming.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • snzsnz Member

host a script on the free instance that logs in for you.

• ralfralf Member

@comXyz said:

@ralf said: Weren't you trying to rent a VPS for yourself only a couple of days ago? That doesn't suggest you're best suited to act as a provider for someone else.

What are you talking about? I don't understand both sentences.

My bad it was a dedi. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3466187#Comment_3466187

I just meant it seemed a bit odd that just a couple of days after you try to rent a dedi, you're happy to rent out 24GB/4c for less than pro-rata cost price of that dedi that you maybe just rented from someone else.

Of course, it'd be possible to do that if your own use case requires many cores and little RAM from that dedi, but it still seems strange. Anyway, I'm probably wrong. Ignore my comment.

• @ralf you're wrong, I only rent out 24GB RAM, nothing else. No CPU, no storage, no IP address.

• aliletalilet Member
    edited August 2022

I created Arm instance with 200GB volume. There are no other instances. But my VM is not showing that 200GB drive. Where is that drive?

[opc@arm ~]$ df -H
    Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs                     13G     0   13G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                        13G     0   13G   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                        13G   35M   13G   1% /run
    tmpfs                        13G     0   13G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-root   39G   14G   25G  35% /
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-oled   11G  110M   11G   2% /var/oled
    /dev/sda2                   1.1G  527M  537M  50% /boot
    /dev/sda1                   105M  6.2M   99M   6% /boot/efi
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/0
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/987
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/1000

This is what control panel shows.

By the way I can still save data on boot volume, right? The main purpose of boot volume is to store OS and other related stuff but we can also store user data?

• @alilet said:
    I created Arm instance with 200GB volume. There are no other instances. But my VM is not showing that 200GB drive. Where is that drive?

[opc@arm ~]$ df -H
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-root   39G   14G   25G  35% /
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-oled   11G  110M   11G   2% /var/oled

This is what control panel shows.

By the way I can still save data on boot volume, right? The main purpose of boot volume is to store OS and other related stuff but we can also store user data?

What's the output of: sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited August 2022

@alilet said: By the way I can still save data on boot volume, right? The main purpose of boot volume is to store OS and other related stuff but we can also store user data?

That depends...having data on different drive will save you trouble if later you want to reinstall the os,or if having corrupted os...

@alilet said: I created Arm instance with 200GB volume. There are no other instances. But my VM is not showing that 200GB drive. Where is that drive?

There is a few post up that tells you about partition resizing...

Edit:
    Here it is:

@miau said: you have to invoke /usr/libexec/oci-growfs to expand it manually (this is the easy way, not sure about non-OL distro tho).

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @Shamli said:

@miau said: you have to invoke /usr/libexec/oci-growfs to expand it manually (this is the easy way, not sure about non-OL distro tho).

This command did the trick. Now my drive is showing:

[opc@arm ~]$ df -H
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-root  203G   15G  189G   8% /
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-oled   11G  114M   11G   2% /var/oled

• How do I open incoming port 80 on Arm instance? I have added this Ingress rule in Virtual Cloud Network but it doesn't seem to be working. The first three rules are added by Oracle while the last one is added by me.

I have installed nginx and when I open browser and type my public IP then it doesn't show default nginx page. By the way I noticed that there is no default website created in nginx so may be this is one of the reason (and 2nd reason could be port 80 issue). Normally when I install nginx on Debain, it always creates a default website at /etc/nginx/sites-available/default but here the directory sites-available doesn't exist.

• djndjn Member

@alilet said:
    How do I open incoming port 80 on Arm instance? I have added this Ingress rule in Virtual Cloud Network but it doesn't seem to be working. The first three rules are added by Oracle while the last one is added by me.

I have installed nginx and when I open browser and type my public IP then it doesn't show default nginx page. By the way I noticed that there is no default website created in nginx so may be this is one of the reason (and 2nd reason could be port 80 issue). Normally when I install nginx on Debain, it always creates a default website at /etc/nginx/sites-available/default but here the directory sites-available doesn't exist.

looks like you have all ports forwarded to the ssh port

• @alilet said:
    How do I open incoming port 80 on Arm instance? I have added this Ingress rule in Virtual Cloud Network but it doesn't seem to be working. The first three rules are added by Oracle while the last one is added by me.

I have it set up the same way, it works fine.

• @alilet said:

Firewall on Debian, add allow 80 to iptables
    Had this issue year ago

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/developer-tutorials/tutorials/apache-on-ubuntu/01oci-ubuntu-apache-summary.htm

See step 8 under 4. Set up Apache and PHP

sudo iptables -I INPUT 6 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
    sudo netfilter-persistent save

• @djn said:

@alilet said:

looks like you have all ports forwarded to the ssh port

The rule is right and fine, it's default by Oracle. The source port is just set to any, because it'll be random.

It's a firewall to open/close ports, it's not forwarding ports.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@MallocVoidstar said:
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/developer-tutorials/tutorials/apache-on-ubuntu/01oci-ubuntu-apache-summary.htm

See step 8 under 4. Set up Apache and PHP

sudo iptables -I INPUT 6 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
    sudo netfilter-persistent save

Instead of this, use firewalld.
    Much easier.
    A guide if needed, https://github.com/vladrunk/howTo/wiki/Open-80-443-port-on-OracleCloud

Thanked by 1alilet
  • nano /etc/iptables/rules.v4

comment out

-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited