Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 50
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• need to login oracle or login the virtual machines every 60 days?

• @FatGrizzly said:

@MallocVoidstar said:
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/developer-tutorials/tutorials/apache-on-ubuntu/01oci-ubuntu-apache-summary.htm

See step 8 under 4. Set up Apache and PHP

sudo iptables -I INPUT 6 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
    sudo netfilter-persistent save

Instead of this, use firewalld.
    Much easier.
    A guide if needed, https://github.com/vladrunk/howTo/wiki/Open-80-443-port-on-OracleCloud

Used firewalld and it worked.

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • adnsadns Member

@Chuck said:
    need to login oracle or login the virtual machines every 60 days?

I think that to the control panel. It's harder to determine from the instance who and when logged in recently and the OS replaceable too, I installed a Debian where Oracle's agent not run.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Chuck said: need to login oracle or login the virtual machines every 60 days?

It was for the panel, but we can assume there is not need anymore, as they have removed that rule.

I have not logged in since March and VPSes still run.

Thanked by 2kkrajk Chuck
  • ss93ss93 Member

Any idea if we'd be allowed to host a rustdesk server on the free tier?

• snzsnz Member

@ss93 said:
    Any idea if we'd be allowed to host a rustdesk server on the free tier?

Why not?

• How to check my bandwidth usage? Can't seem to find this option in their control panel. I think their free tier provides 10TB of bandwidth which is more than enough for me but still you gotta keep an eye on it lest you are fucked by Larry Ellison and become part of people who helped him in buying new yacht.

• @alilet said:
    How to check my bandwidth usage? Can't seem to find this option in their control panel. I think their free tier provides 10TB of bandwidth which is more than enough for me but still you gotta keep an eye on it lest you are fucked by Larry Ellison and become part of people who helped him in buying new yacht.

On free tier they can't charge you for anything, so if you go over the bandwidth limit they will just take your server offline for the rest of the month.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @alilet said:
    How to check my bandwidth usage? Can't seem to find this option in their control panel. I think their free tier provides 10TB of bandwidth which is more than enough for me but still you gotta keep an eye on it lest you are fucked by Larry Ellison and become part of people who helped him in buying new yacht.

I just use vnstat to monitor my network usage.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @alilet said:

Just open https://cloud.oracle.com/account-management/cost-analysis then change Granularity to Month and Show to Usage. Apply and your bandwidth usage is in the right most column.

Thanked by 2Erisa alilet
  • my vps is suddenly missing from my dashboard, didnt login for 10 months.

• @Ahfaiahkid said:
    my vps is suddenly missing from my dashboard, didnt login for 10 months.

Is your server up? If yes, I usually forget to select my OU in the instances tab, then they appear.

• @Ahfaiahkid said:

Me too, the vps is working but the dashboard is not. I get the following message in "Instances":
    "The required information to complete authentication was not provided or was incorrect."

• @icarus11 said: "The required information to complete authentication was not provided or was incorrect."

Is that in ashburn...? There were issues with ashburn recently....

• @Ahfaiahkid said:

I thought I had that problem, too, but had to re-select the tenancy (there's only one, ffs, they need to learn about default views).

• @icarus11 said:

@Ahfaiahkid said:

Me too, the vps is working but the dashboard is not. I get the following message in "Instances":
    "The required information to complete authentication was not provided or was incorrect."

Oh well, so i tried Google Chrome and now i can log in to the Oracle Cloud dashboard. I was using Brave browser and got that error...

• https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/xj5d5o/comment/ip73au0/

I think they removed it. I have a TOR Node running on one of these, and it does 35 TB of data outbound per month.

What could go wrong?

• aliletalilet Member
    edited September 2022

Just now I logged in to find out my always free VM has been deleted. WTF Larry Ellison!!!!

I have been logging into Oracle Cloud regularly, in fact I logged in 2 or 3 days ago and VM is also in regular use but they just deleted it without warning or anything.

My free trial ended more than a month ago so it's not like once your free trial ends then you have to recreate VM to keep them always free.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I have an oracle vm running for the past 8ish months, no issues.

• @icarus11 said:

@Ahfaiahkid said:

Are u using vpn?

• Earlier in the month Oracle had an issue with the US-Virginia cloud being able to authenticate resources properly once you were logged in. At this point, even though my VM is working just fine, apparently I can't edit anything in their console even though things are supposedly fixed. Not sure if I'll even get any support on the free tier for it but I'll try. Hopefully I won't have to migrate out but it seems like a possibility.

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited September 2022

"Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex in availability domain AD-1. Create the instance in a different availability domain or try again later. If you specified a fault domain, try creating the instance without specifying a fault domain. If that doesn’t work, please try again later. Learn more about host capacity. "

Trying create arm instance in singapore

Out of capacity

Are they have limit to create instance every day on each region?

• Has anyone found a way to change the regions you're subscribed to?

• @add_iT said: limit to create instance every day on each region?

Nah, simply that they don't have any available resources. Note that A1 CPU is only produced by rather small company so availability is indeed limited.

@luissousa said: change the regions you're subscribed to?

Nope, once you're in that's it. Upgrading to paid account allows you to subscribe to other regions but you don't get the always free benefit in other regions. Some people create a new account but that risk Oracle finding out and suspending all the related accounts.

• @TimRoo said:
    Earlier in the month Oracle had an issue with the US-Virginia cloud being able to authenticate resources properly once you were logged in. At this point, even though my VM is working just fine, apparently I can't edit anything in their console even though things are supposedly fixed. Not sure if I'll even get any support on the free tier for it but I'll try. Hopefully I won't have to migrate out but it seems like a possibility.

I just needed to do specific Google searches I guess. Turns out the "The required information to complete authentication was not provided or was incorrect." error is caused by Brave Shields being turned on for the site. Easy enough fix.

• Note: Don't use OCI for production or serious data.

They can terminate your service anytime.

Also, it's a pain to run vanilla Debian on their instances, they basically discourage you bringing your own ISO/images.

You're better off using a $30/year VPS.

• @nikozin said:
    Note: Don't use OCI for production or serious data.

Also, it's a pain to run vanilla Debian on their instances, they basically discourage you bringing your own ISO/images.

I have to agree, the free tier should be used for basically posting memes on facebook.

• @johnnyquestion said:

@nikozin said:
    Note: Don't use OCI for production or serious data.

I have to agree, the free tier should be used for basically posting memes on facebook.

I just past my third year using the Oracle free tier. I did have some capacity issues getting my first two A1 images allocated, but they were both running by Oct 2019. I also had capacity issues getting both my ARM VPS running in May 2021, but for over a year I have had two, 2 CPU 12GB RAM ARM VPS also running. So I now have four totally free systems running Ubuntu 20.04, with 10TB/mo of egress IP data.

I have experienced a few minor issues, but during the past 3 years my uptime, not counting my OS updates and reconfiguration work, has been better then 99.9% with no data loss. I backup my Oracle systems daily to non-Oracle storage, so if they do take away my account, I can recover, but overall I'm very happy with their free tier. I would do the same backups if I was on someone else's paid tier, as any provider can drop you at any time using the standard excuse: You violated our terms of service

Thanked by 3marian mehargags Ouji
  • @alilet said:
    Just now I logged in to find out my always free VM has been deleted. WTF Larry Ellison!!!!

I have been logging into Oracle Cloud regularly, in fact I logged in 2 or 3 days ago and VM is also in regular use but they just deleted it without warning or anything.

My free trial ended more than a month ago so it's not like once your free trial ends then you have to recreate VM to keep them always free.

ARM instances used get deleted after 1 month grace period, not trial period. ARM instances should be safe created after 2 month & 1 week from account creation. By the way, it's Oracle, make sure you have up-to-date backup of your data.

• @Hakim said:

@alilet said:

ARM instances used get deleted after 1 month grace period, not trial period. ARM instances should be safe created after 2 month & 1 week from account creation. By the way, it's Oracle, make sure you have up-to-date backup of your data.

I think there were those issues when the ARM instances first showed up, but that's not a concern anymore.