Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 53
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @mustafamw3 said:
    When I create 4core 24 gb ram, the max disk read /write is 360 mb /s
    But when I create 2 core 12gb 100gb, the max read/write is 180mb
    Is 180 mb enough?

Caching (either on WP-side, Nginx, or Cloudflare) should hide that read/write. 12 GB would probably handle the entire rendered page and tables. You can prime the cache by just running a script to wget important pages after significant rebuild or server reboot.

• @mustafamw3 said:

@martheen said:

@mustafamw3 said:
    Is it better to create 1 vps with 4 core and 24 gb of ram or 2 vps each with 2 core and 16gb of ram
    I am running 2 wordpress site currently.

With 2 VPS you can only use 12 GB RAM each.

Doesn't really matter, putting them as containers inside one 4 core 24 GB means each can utilize as much CPU & RAM when needed while the other is idling, but to put it on the free tier I'm guessing you don't have that large traffic in the first place. Putting on separated VPS means one can still run if the other is down for whatever reason, but again, I don't think you need that kind of reliability currently.

The 4 core 24gb is overkill for my 2 wordpress site, the sites are small wordpress sites with low traffic

Wordpress doesn't really monopolize any resource, Nginx can handle ports 80 & 443 so you can host other stuff in there. Unless it's guaranteed that your region will always provide new A1 VPS on demand (I'm actually surprised you can even afford to think about splitting vs creating when in some region they can't create any new A1 VPS), it's easier to use the entire allocation now, and add new apps you want to run as containers later

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

@martheen said:

@mustafamw3 said:

@martheen said:

@mustafamw3 said:
    Is it better to create 1 vps with 4 core and 24 gb of ram or 2 vps each with 2 core and 16gb of ram
    I am running 2 wordpress site currently.

With 2 VPS you can only use 12 GB RAM each.

Doesn't really matter, putting them as containers inside one 4 core 24 GB means each can utilize as much CPU & RAM when needed while the other is idling, but to put it on the free tier I'm guessing you don't have that large traffic in the first place. Putting on separated VPS means one can still run if the other is down for whatever reason, but again, I don't think you need that kind of reliability currently.

The 4 core 24gb is overkill for my 2 wordpress site, the sites are small wordpress sites with low traffic

Wordpress doesn't really monopolize any resource, Nginx can handle ports 80 & 443 so you can host other stuff in there. Unless it's guaranteed that your region will always provide new A1 VPS on demand (I'm actually surprised you can even afford to think about splitting vs creating when in some region they can't create any new A1 VPS), it's easier to use the entire allocation now, and add new apps you want to run as containers later

I will create 2 Arm Instances, one for prodection, other for testing purposes.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited October 2022

Hi

Any suggestions on how can I install OpenSuse Tumbleweed in an Ampere 1/arm64 instance?

Thanks

• @nfn said:
    Hi

Any suggestions on how can I install OpenSuse Tumbleweed in an Ampere 1/arm64 instance?

Thanks

Go to rescue mode, download ISO, mount it via QEMU as VNC and install it.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • bapbap Member

@nfn said:
    Hi

Thanks

have you tried this?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Remote_installation

Thanked by 1nfn
  • nearly 2 months and can't create arm at Singapore

• Received this email from Oracle today:

Thank you for using Oracle Cloud Services. Your (Cloud Account: REDACTED) terminated on . However, it would be a pleasure to serve you in the near future. We can be reached at www.oracle.com/cloud.

@alilet said:
    Received this email from Oracle today:

Thank you for using Oracle Cloud Services. Your (Cloud Account: REDACTED) terminated on . However, it would be a pleasure to serve you in the near future. We can be reached at www.oracle.com/cloud.

For what were you using vps?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@alilet said: Thank you for using Oracle Cloud Services. Your (Cloud Account: REDACTED) terminated on . However, it would be a pleasure to serve you in the near future

Sounds like an invitation to just go ahead and sign up for another free account "in the near future".

• @mustafamw3 said:

@alilet said:
    Received this email from Oracle today:

For what were you using vps?

Cron job running on another VPS which was backing up data on Oracle VPS

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I really wonder how the auto suspension system works, I have been running oracle vm's for almost 300 days with no issues.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur equalz
  • The terminated is very random , but i think it alway target trial/free user first then payg

My payg still fine but two free is terminated (Yes i have mulitple CC) even i alway use different ip, devices when try login . All of them is idle all the time, no ipv4, 2x2-12 instances.

Ask support and they dont answer anything , try register with new cc and look like they restrict the register by country now

• I have a 4core/24RAM Arm instance (FRA) running for almost 18 months, very stable and performant. I am pretty happy, given the price.

However, on the network side, I feel that something is "wrong". Although I don't reach the Oracle cloud b/w limits, and my setup (nginx, mysql, goland backend) usually doesn't even stress a core, the machine feels "limited". I have no scientific measurements to share, but compared to some other low-end VMs I have (Clouvider and Hetzner networks) I feel that the latter are better in ping and transfer rates. More snappy or something...

I don't have any disk performance observations to share - my setup probably does not stress disks enough.

Never needed support, so I cannot comment on that - although I did get a call from a local Oracle representative who wanted to inform me about the Cloud offering.

So, in CPU terms, the machine simply flies. For example, Golang compilation is noticeably faster than my i7 win laptop & i5 mac. Plenty of RAM available. Disks are good enough for me. The network could be better...

Still, this machine is one of my best "purchases" ever! :lol: I think Oracle deserves some love.

• luissousaluissousa Member
    edited October 2022

I've recently deleted my VM, volume (200GB), etc, in a region to recreate in another region. It's been 2 weeks since I've deleted, but I'm still getting this error when trying to recreate it:

(400, LimitExceeded, false) You cannot create a volume because you have reached your limit. Upgrade to a paid account. (opc-request-id: dummyRequestId)

Has anyone come across this issue?

@luissousa said:
    I've recently deleted my VM, volume (200GB), etc, in a region to recreate in another region. It's been 2 weeks since I've deleted, but I'm still getting this error when trying to recreate it:

(400, LimitExceeded, false) You cannot create a volume because you have reached your limit. Upgrade to a paid account. (opc-request-id: dummyRequestId)

Free tier only works in the region you selected when you created your account

• @mustafamw3 said:

@luissousa said:

Free tier only works in the region you selected when you created your account

Fuck... Zurich is out of stock now as well :/

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • I had 2 instances running in Hyderabad. When I logged into cloud.oracle.com and both seem to have disappeared. I'm unable to even access my own account, whatever I click - returns The required information to complete authentication was not provided or was incorrect.

However, I'm able to ssh and access my 2 instances. Strange.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited November 2022

@dosai said:
    I had 2 instances running in Hyderabad. When I logged into cloud.oracle.com and both seem to have disappeared. I'm unable to even access my own account, whatever I click - returns The required information to complete authentication was not provided or was incorrect.

I had something similar happen not too long ago. Turns out it was an adblocker issue. Whitelist the site and see if you have any issues after that.

• @dosai said:
    I had 2 instances running in Hyderabad. When I logged into cloud.oracle.com and both seem to have disappeared. I'm unable to even access my own account, whatever I click - returns The required information to complete authentication was not provided or was incorrect.

Try with another browser, this happened to me while using Brave.

• @TimRoo said:

@dosai said:

I had something similar happen not too long ago. Turns out it was an adblocker issue. Whitelist the site and see if you have any issues after that.

Turns out to be true! It is working now, thank you.

@icarus11 said:

@dosai said:

I was using Brave too. Works in Edge now, thanks.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited November 2022

@dosai said:

@TimRoo said:

@dosai said:

Turns out to be true! It is working now, thank you.

@icarus11 said:

@dosai said:

I was using Brave too. Works in Edge now, thanks.

Yeah, my adblocker issue was in Brave also. Shields down for cloud.oracle.com fixes it in Brave. No need to mess with other Oracle sites.

• A new banner showed up on my account when I logged in today:

Starting Nov 24, 2022, your idle Always Free compute instances might be stopped. Learn more about this process and how to restart your instances. You can also upgrade your account at any time to avoid interruptions.

They provided no good information on what triggers this and they picked a US holiday to start this. Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Thanked by 2TimboJones martheen
    edited November 2022

@z9876z said: Learn more about this process and how to restart your instances

Could you post the URL where "Learn more" leads to, if any? I cannot login to my account to check myself.

@rm_ said:

@z9876z said: Learn more about this process and how to restart your instances

Could you post the URL where "Learn more" leads to, if any? I cannot login to my account to check myself.

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm#compute__idleinstances

Thanked by 1rm_

No information on how an instance is determined "idle". Ugh. If it uses oci-agent, I wonder how to set it up on debian 11.

• Stay far away from oracle. You get what you pay for.

• https://i.ibb.co/1dn7Bd1/image.png
    We can manually start it if needed.
    So....
    From what I understand, They will stop our instances to save some running cost may be? (electricity, cooling cost and all...)

But they have not defined the term "idle".
    Only time can tell.

@adwsislife said: We can manually start it if needed.

And if there is free stock available in the location, which is far from guaranteed for some in-demand ones, such as APAC. In those as soon as your instance is stopped, the freed-up slot will be almost certainly taken by others.

Thanked by 1martheen

@rm_ said: the freed-up slot will be almost certainly taken by others.

Yeah, I wonder how idle is defined.

I'm currently using around 12G of ram in my 24G instance, I wonder if network activity matters.