Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 54
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• I am wondering if Oracle will see a major surge of compute usage and network bandwidth as people write their own scripts to create artificial loads to try to prevent their VPS from being declared idle. It could be fun to watch what the Oracles systems do if everyone runs YABS at the top of every hour from cron.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • @rm_ said:

@adwsislife said: We can manually start it if needed.

And if there is free stock available in the location, which is far from guaranteed for some in-demand ones, such as APAC. In those as soon as your instance is stopped, the freed-up slot will be almost certainly taken by others.

They will just stop our instance instead of deleting it.
    We can start it again to use it.
    It's just they are trying to save cost on idle resources by stopping it.
    This is what I understand. I might be wrong as well :)

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@z9876z said:
    I am wondering if Oracle will see a major surge of compute usage and network bandwidth as people write their own scripts to create artificial loads to try to prevent their VPS from being declared idle. It could be fun to watch what the Oracles systems do if everyone runs YABS at the top of every hour from cron.

@cybertech is already running them 24/7

Jokes aside, Your point is fair. Oracle will ofcourse see a major surge. Wish they sent an email notification atleast about this.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2022

@adwsislife said: They will just stop our instance instead of deleting it.

Whether there is free stock, is checked every time an instance is started, not created. So it is possible that you still have the instance, but cannot start it due to no free space (out of stock) in the location.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

What about Paid accounts that use free tier resources?
    Will they stop idle compute instances too?

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • adwsislifeadwsislife Member
    edited November 2022

@rm_ said:

@adwsislife said: They will just stop our instance instead of deleting it.

Whether there is free stock, is checked every time an instance is started, not created. So it is possible that you still have the instance, but cannot start it due to no free space (out of stock) in the location.

Damm
    Did not know this.
    Thanks

• https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/GSG/Tasks/signingup_topic-What_Happens_When_the_Promotion_Expires.htm

You can continue to use the Always Free resources in your account for as long as your account remains active. Free accounts remain active and available to you as long as the account has been used within the past 60 days.

AFAIK this text has been there for more than a year. I have no idea what qualifies as "use" though.

Thanked by 22bluesc tedtomato

@udonworld said:
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/GSG/Tasks/signingup_topic-What_Happens_When_the_Promotion_Expires.htm

You can continue to use the Always Free resources in your account for as long as your account remains active. Free accounts remain active and available to you as long as the account has been used within the past 60 days.

AFAIK this text has been there for more than a year. I have no idea what qualifies as "use" though.

Logging in

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2022

@udonworld said: AFAIK this text has been there for more than a year.

Definitely not. It was there briefly a few years ago:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3033017/#Comment_3033017

But then they removed any mention of 60 days:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3037791/#Comment_3037791
    and it was like that for a long time since then.

So if it's back, it must have been re-added recently enough, sure we don't check the site every day, but I doubt nobody would have noticed it's back for an entire year.

• @mustafamw3 said:
    What about Paid accounts that use free tier resources?
    Will they stop idle compute instances too?

Starting Nov 24, 2022, your idle Always Free compute instances might be stopped.
    Your Paid account uses free tier resources, so I think yes.

• so if you use it too much, it gets deleted, and if you don't use it enough they will stop it. seems reasonable, like asking an ex to give back a present.

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • @dragon1993 said: Your Paid account uses free tier resources

From https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm

Unpaid Free Tier accounts only. Idle Always Free resources for unpaid Free Tier accounts can be reclaimed at any time, without notice. Reclaiming includes actions such as stopping or terminating.

(Emphasis theirs)

So this only happens to non-upgraded accounts, at least, in theory.

• @tdelenikas said:
    I have a 4core/24RAM Arm instance (FRA) running for almost 18 months, very stable and performant. I am pretty happy, given the price.

However, on the network side, I feel that something is "wrong". Although I don't reach the Oracle cloud b/w limits, and my setup (nginx, mysql, goland backend) usually doesn't even stress a core, the machine feels "limited". I have no scientific measurements to share, but compared to some other low-end VMs I have (Clouvider and Hetzner networks) I feel that the latter are better in ping and transfer rates. More snappy or something...

I don't have any disk performance observations to share - my setup probably does not stress disks enough.

Never needed support, so I cannot comment on that - although I did get a call from a local Oracle representative who wanted to inform me about the Cloud offering.

So, in CPU terms, the machine simply flies. For example, Golang compilation is noticeably faster than my i7 win laptop & i5 mac. Plenty of RAM available. Disks are good enough for me. The network could be better...

Still, this machine is one of my best "purchases" ever! :lol: I think Oracle deserves some love.

Did you use the VPS when your account is still free tier? Or you have upgraded your account by enter the credit card?

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • @webmasteroffers Free from the start, still free (no credit cards or anything).

• @z9876z said:
    A new banner showed up on my account when I logged in today:

Starting Nov 24, 2022, your idle Always Free compute instances might be stopped. Learn more about this process and how to restart your instances. You can also upgrade your account at any time to avoid interruptions.

They provided no good information on what triggers this and they picked a US holiday to start this. Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Awfully nice of them to give one week's notice, only to those who log in. They can send multiple emails every time a fly lands on one of their servers but they won't send one for a big change like this. Sounds about right.

• Signup is never success for me! ah

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited November 2022

I try the account upgrade.
    They want to charge 100€ from my Revolut.

• @dragon1993 said:

Isn't that just a temporary charge?

• @plumberg said:

@dragon1993 said:

I think, but unreasonable.

• @dragon1993 said:

@plumberg said:

@dragon1993 said:

I think, but unreasonable.

Why unreasonable? It's a very common practice. Depending on the account they may have a high temporary charge to see the liquidity. They need to evaluate whether a prospective customer will be a high risk or abuser and use this as a fail safe.

Infact in US, if you use your debit card at gas station pumps, there're is typically an instant hold in the $75-$100 range which is removed soon.

I think you are over thinking if this is a temporary charge which will be removed soon.

Thanked by 3Erisa tedtomato Ouji
  • anyways to spend $1 or $2 per month so that prevent termination of free tier services?

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • @swagger said:
    anyways to spend $1 or $2 per month so that prevent termination of free tier services?

Add 1gb ram above limit(25gb) cost 1$ per month

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 tedtomato
  • TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited November 2022

Here's one data point on the idle definition - I have a Nextcloud install on mine that I backup to once a day, and I didn't have that notice when I logged in. So something like that is probably all it takes (for now), but just don't run scripts from VPNs or other data center IPs as described earlier in the thread.

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited November 2022

@TimRoo said:
    Here's one data point on the idle definition - I have a Nextcloud install on mine that I backup to once a day, and I didn't have that notice when I logged in. So something like that is probably all it takes (for now), but just don't run scripts from VPNs or other data center IPs as described earlier in the thread.

You are wrong. I think just Oracle notifying is not their strength.
    My friend have a idle VPS, he didn't get any notification, but my vps running mqtt (1 message/3 sec) and lot of things and I got.

@plumberg You're right, I'm used to the 1-2 dollar charge in Central Europe. My upgrade in progress.

@swagger Why would you pay? Check @martheen comment.

Thanked by 2plumberg mustafamw3
  • @dragon1993 said:

@TimRoo said:

You are wrong. I think just Oracle notifying is not their strength.
    My friend have a idle VPS, he didn't get any notification, but my vps running mqtt (1 message/3 sec) and lot of things and I got.

@plumberg You're right, I'm used to the 1-2 dollar charge in Central Europe. My upgrade in progress.

@swagger Why would you pay? Check @martheen comment.

That could be based on alphabetical order or your node being more full than the node your buddy's server is on.

Just upgraded my account to a pay as you go account, lets see what happens.

It temporarily charged me a 138.19 SGD for this verification

Thanked by 2Chuck tedtomato
  • I didn't see the idle message after I logged in. One of my VMs is idle, the other is recording an internet radio station (50-100GB of bandwidth per month).

@MallocVoidstar said:
    I didn't see the idle message after I logged in. One of my VMs is idle, the other is recording an internet radio station (50-100GB of bandwidth per month).

The idle message was removed from dashboard. And from docs too.

Thanked by 2MallocVoidstar rm_
  • Does anyone know a mail where to report an abuser with multiple instances? 30 I guess, or more...

@cold said:
    Does anyone know a mail where to report an abuser with multiple instances? 30 I guess, or more...

is he brute forcing or something? I received notices from oracle when my oracle instance was once compromised, it linked to abuseipdb.com