Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 57
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• is it still worthwhile getting? i tried mid last year and was not able to use any of my cards to "authorize" the account.

• @jignes_k said:
    is it still worthwhile getting? i tried mid last year and was not able to use any of my cards to "authorize" the account.

Yes, for sure.

It's totally free for the specs worth around $20 USD per month.

Thanked by 1jignes_k
  • @ariq01 said:

Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro in availability domain AD-1. Create the instance in a different availability domain or try again later. If you specified a fault domain, try creating the instance without specifying a fault domain. If that doesn’t work, please try again later. Learn more about host capacity.

i always getting this error when select Always free

When creating make sure to also try selecting the other AD's in your area if they're listed (AD-2,AD-3)

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @monk said:

@ariq01 said:

Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro in availability domain AD-1. Create the instance in a different availability domain or try again later. If you specified a fault domain, try creating the instance without specifying a fault domain. If that doesn’t work, please try again later. Learn more about host capacity.

i always getting this error when select Always free

When creating make sure to also try selecting the other AD's in your area if they're listed (AD-2,AD-3)

Only AD-1 available on singapore :joy:
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/General/Concepts/regions.htm

• @giang said:

@jignes_k said:
    is it still worthwhile getting? i tried mid last year and was not able to use any of my cards to "authorize" the account.

Yes, for sure.

It's totally free for the specs worth around $20 USD per month.

Probably worth a lot more than $20 a month. You can get a 4 x Cores, 24GB ram, 200GB fast drive and 4gbps network, 5 snapshots/backup, plus s 2 separate micro instances (2 x cores, 1GB ram). And of course a proper web interface, with networking, firewall, monitoring etc.

That's worth a lot more than $20 a month.

Thanked by 2giang mustafamw3
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@tedtomato said: and 4gbps network

Yep and with 10TB transfer (or people say not actually metered) in Singapore or Tokyo.

• I'm newbie on oracle. Does anyone know how to get vps arm ? when i'm create always show

Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex in availability domain AD-1. Create the instance in a different availability domain or try again later. If you specified a fault domain, try creating the instance without specifying a fault domain. If that doesn’t work, please try again later.

Many thanks

• @blackeye said:
    I'm newbie on oracle. Does anyone know how to get vps arm ? when i'm create always show

Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex in availability domain AD-1. Create the instance in a different availability domain or try again later. If you specified a fault domain, try creating the instance without specifying a fault domain. If that doesn’t work, please try again later.

Many thanks

You need to wait and try again. This is the only way for samourai.

Thanked by 1blackeye
  • @JohnFilch123 said:

@blackeye said:
    I'm newbie on oracle. Does anyone know how to get vps arm ? when i'm create always show

Many thanks

You need to wait and try again. This is the only way for samourai.

Really struggling :smiley:

• Windows needs more disk space and ram . Sorry but there is no free Windows VM.

• @rm_ said:

@tedtomato said: and 4gbps network

Yep and with 10TB transfer (or people say not actually metered) in Singapore or Tokyo.

They don't limit it on the Arm instance from my experience. I do about 40TB egress a month on my Johannesburg free Arm instance. Been up since they launched South Africa.

• Have you ever considered buying a account with oracle , because registering oneself does not pass, in fact, this is not a problem with credit card.

• Thanks for sharing this. I will get this.

• Can't figure out how to access the instance I created. the Public IP Address shows "Unavailable".

• @Aboba12345 said:
    Can't figure out how to access the instance I created. the Public IP Address shows "Unavailable".

You can claim a Reserved IP and add to your instance.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Reclamation of Idle Compute Instances

Idle Always Free compute instances may be reclaimed by Oracle. Oracle will deem virtual machine and bare metal compute instances as idle if, during a 7-day period, the following are true:

CPU utilization for the 95th percentile is less than 10%
    Network utilization is less than 10%
    Memory utilization is less than 10% (applies to A1 shapes only)

Thanked by 32bluesc TimRoo adly
  • @mustafamw3 said:

Idle Always Free compute instances may be reclaimed by Oracle. Oracle will deem virtual machine and bare metal compute instances as idle if, during a 7-day period, the following are true:

how do you read this?
    If one condition is true or ALL conditions are true?

• adwsislifeadwsislife Member
    edited January 2023

@snow2k said:

@mustafamw3 said:

how do you read this?

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm
    Search for word Reclamation using ctrl +f.
    from the wordings, it seems like all conditions needs to be satisfied.

Can someone please explain me the point for CPU utilization?
    Thanks in advance

Thanked by 1snow2k
  • @adwsislife said:

@snow2k said:

@mustafamw3 said:

how do you read this?

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm

Thanks in advance

95% percentil = you count all measurement points in the last 7days. If 95% of them are below 10% cpu utilization, then the condition ist met. I would assume that oracle checks every Minute or every 5 Minute.

• @snow2k said:

@adwsislife said:

@snow2k said:

@mustafamw3 said:

how do you read this?

Thanks in advance

95% percentil = you count all measurement points in the last 7days. If 95% of them are below 10% cpu utilization, then the condition ist met. I would assume that oracle checks every Minute or every 5 Minute.

Ooh. Got it now.
    Thank you for the explanation :)

• JohnFilch123JohnFilch123 Member
    edited February 2023

Guys, what is the way to make A1 NOT free? I understand that 4 OCPU and 24GB RAM is included in Free Tier. My A1 is 25GB RAM, the calculator shows that it will cost $0.9 per month, however my bill is 0 so far.

• I don't think you can have 25GB on the A1. AFAIK the RAM size is always 6GB per core.

In any case, the actual free allowance is 3000 CPU hours, 18000 GB hours, so even if it was allowed, 25GB would still be free on months with 28 or 30 days.

• JohnFilch123JohnFilch123 Member
    edited February 2023

@ralf said:
    I don't think you can have 25GB on the A1. AFAIK the RAM size is always 6GB per core.

In any case, the actual free allowance is 3000 CPU hours, 18000 GB hours, so even if it was allowed, 25GB would still be free on months with 28 or 30 days.

What about 30GB? :)

• Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Customer,

Security is a top priority for Oracle. To help improve the security posture of your Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) tenancy, Oracle is taking steps that will require the use of multi-factor authentication (MFA) for all new tenancies. In the future, Oracle will enforce this policy for all OCI tenancies.

MFA helps reduce the risk of your tenancy being compromised by strengthening the authentication process. Along with your username and password, you will be challenged for a second factor of authentication. Oracle recommends using phishing-resistant MFA devices such as FIDO2 compliant security keys for all cloud administrators.

Immediate Recommended Action: Enable MFA for all Oracle Cloud administrators. To set up MFA using Oracle best practices, see the IAM MFA documentation: https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Security/Reference/iam_security.htm#iam_mfa_best_practice

Turn 2FA on or you'll get locked out of your account at some point, it seems.

• Anyone able to successfully convert Oracle OS to Debian. I tried this and not sure what I am missing

curl -fLO https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohanyang/debi/master/debi.sh && chmod a+rx debi.sh

sudo ./debi.sh --cdn --network-console --ethx --bbr --user root --password <REDACTED>

sudo shutdown -r now

**After this **

ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=password -o PubkeyAuthentication=no [email protected]
    [email protected]: Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic)

If I ssh via the opc user

[opc@instance-20230131-1840 ~]$ sudo su - installer
    su: user installer does not exist
    [opc@instance-20230131-1840 ~]$

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@host4cheap said:
    Anyone able to successfully convert Oracle OS to Debian. I tried this and not sure what I am missing

curl -fLO https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohanyang/debi/master/debi.sh && chmod a+rx debi.sh

sudo ./debi.sh --cdn --network-console --ethx --bbr --user root --password <REDACTED>

sudo shutdown -r now

**After this **

ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=password -o PubkeyAuthentication=no [email protected]
    [email protected]: Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic)

If I ssh via the opc user

[opc@instance-20230131-1840 ~]$ sudo su - installer
    su: user installer does not exist
    [opc@instance-20230131-1840 ~]$

you should be logging in as root iirc?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @FatGrizzly said:

root is blocked. It allows opc

ssh [email protected]
    Please login as the user "opc" rather than the user "root".

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@host4cheap said:

@FatGrizzly said:

root is blocked. It allows opc

ssh [email protected]
    Please login as the user "opc" rather than the user "root".

You're doing something weird!
    Just run ./debi.sh --user root --password lmfao

And reboot

• Oracle bans some free servers for no reason .

• @Andy10tbit said:
    Oracle bans some free servers for no reason .

Yeah, if you ask a prisoner why was he convicted for, he will say 'For nothing, I am innocent'. You get the drift.