Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 58
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @JohnFilch123 said:

@Andy10tbit said:
    Oracle bans some free servers for no reason .

Yeah, if you ask a prisoner why was he convicted for, he will say 'For nothing, I am innocent'. You get the drift.

Not the same. Prison records will at least have something on prisoners. When oracle bans, poof! No record, no communication, no response and nothing.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@jmaxwell said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

@Andy10tbit said:

Yeah, if you ask a prisoner why was he convicted for, he will say 'For nothing, I am innocent'. You get the drift.

Not the same. Prison records will at least have something on prisoners. When oracle bans, poof! No record, no communication, no response and nothing.

idk what people run to get banned tbh, have been running for more than an year with no issues.

• @FatGrizzly said:

@jmaxwell said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

@Andy10tbit said:

idk what people run to get banned tbh, have been running for more than an year with no issues.

It’s not what people do or don’t do. Oracle bans accounts on a whim.

• @FatGrizzly said:
    You're doing something weird!
    Just run ./debi.sh --user root --password lmfao

And reboot

That didn't work - still land up in oracle kernel/OS

• @jmaxwell said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

@Andy10tbit said:

Looks like you did not read my initial sentence. This is about what people SAY...prisoners SAY they are innocent, Oracle customers SAY they are innocent :smile:

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • @JohnFilch123 said:

@ralf said:
    I don't think you can have 25GB on the A1. AFAIK the RAM size is always 6GB per core.

In any case, the actual free allowance is 3000 CPU hours, 18000 GB hours, so even if it was allowed, 25GB would still be free on months with 28 or 30 days.

What about 30GB? :)

I'm sure when I created my A1 instances, the RAM slider only changed in 6GB increments and also changed CPU at the same time.

But it was 9 months ago, so I've probably just misremembered.

• comordcomord Member
    edited February 2023

I have encountered difficulties in registering Oracle, and failed in credit card transactions. So I bought a free account at [rogue URL] (which requires Google page translation). It was registered in 2021 and now works well. So I have a 4-core 24G vps. According to my experience, do not log in frequently to the background, but use the api to manage vps, create or delete them.

Mod edit (angstrom): Deleted

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

How to restore a backup?

• JohnFilch123JohnFilch123 Member
    edited February 2023

@comord said:
    I have encountered difficulties in registering Oracle, and failed in credit card transactions. So I bought a free account at [rogue URL] (which requires Google page translation). It was registered in 2021 and now works well. So I have a 4-core 24G vps. According to my experience, do not log in frequently to the background, but use the api to manage vps, create or delete them.

Are you advertising some strange Chinese website? :neutral:

Mod edit (angstrom): Deleted in quote

• perpusindoperpusindo Member
    edited February 2023

@comord said:

too expensive for the price :#

Mod edit (angstrom): Deleted in quote

• I'm having trouble recovering my Oracle account password. I haven't received any email.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited February 2023

This MFA thing seems too confusing, Oracle recommends NOT to use Email or Text message (SMS) for MFA but I guess those are the 'best' for a single user IAM case for most of us. I can't see see 'Domains' under my 'Identity & Security', is that normal?

Then I went into User and tried to enable it from the button above, it asks to download oracle authenticator app on mobile, did that, scanned the QR and when I try to put the auth code back it says 'Multi-factor authentication can only be enabled by the user' What is it?

Has anyone enabled MFA successfully & can share easy steps here so I can save on reading the jargon ?

• @diher said:
    I'm having trouble recovering my Oracle account password. I haven't received any email.

It's not just you. :smile:

• @diher said:
    I'm having trouble recovering my Oracle account password. I haven't received any email.

You’ll never receive it because your account is banned.

• adwsislifeadwsislife Member
    edited February 2023

@mehargags said:

Has anyone enabled MFA successfully & can share easy steps here so I can save on reading the jargon ?

I am also looking for it :(
    BTW
    Is it mandatory?

• iqbaliqbal Member
    edited February 2023

@mehargags said:

Has anyone enabled MFA successfully & can share easy steps here so I can save on reading the jargon?

yeah im confused as well, but here are the steps: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68097557/i-cant-enable-mfa-for-oracle-identity-cloud-service-user/75348332#75348332

i have followed the instructions and got MFA enabled successfully.

• I have enable MFA without any problems, just went to my profile,security and enabled it.

• How long it take to upgrade from free tier to pay as you go? Mine has been processing for hours.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

@norm said:
    How long it take to upgrade from free tier to pay as you go? Mine has been processing for hours.

Two to three days

• @mustafamw3 said:

@norm said:
    How long it take to upgrade from free tier to pay as you go? Mine has been processing for hours.

Two to three days

It finished after 3 hours.

• Already have a Pay as you go account

Can I create free instances in a different region?

• @plumberg said: Can I create free instances in a different region?

Instances created outside of home region won't count towards your always free tier.

Thanked by 1plumberg
    edited February 2023

https://github.com/layou233/NeverIdle
    TRANSLATION

found on a chinese web blogger's site.

Edit: Found this too, https://keeporacle.pages.dev/

• @FatGrizzly said:
    https://github.com/layou233/NeverIdle
    TRANSLATION

found on a chinese web blogger's site.

Edit: Found this too, https://keeporacle.pages.dev/

This escalated rather quickly. 🙈

• So according to this https://community.oracle.com/customerconnect/discussion/663398/compute-instance-idle , the idle instances are just stopped and it's only an issue in those busy places with no capacity. Crisis averted!

• Now they can piss of some regular users. The abusive users definitely will try any means necessary to keep the instance alive. Now oracle will have more network & energy usages with almost the same capacity usage. Some pissed of regular users. Although many of the regular users will upgrade to PAYG account.

• @JohnFilch123 said:
    Guys, what is the way to make A1 NOT free? I understand that 4 OCPU and 24GB RAM is included in Free Tier. My A1 is 25GB RAM, the calculator shows that it will cost $0.9 per month, however my bill is 0 so far.

I was finally charged for my A1 after I increased RAM to 27Gb, something like $0.2, happy about it :smiley:

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • Does anyone have or know of a YABS for the 2 core AMD vs 4 core ampere A1 available on the free tier to compare them?

@nocloud said:
    Does anyone have or know of a YABS for the 2 core AMD vs 4 core ampere A1 available on the free tier to compare them?

arm 4c 24g ind.hyd.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2023-02-27                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri 03 Mar 2023 07:04:54 PM IST

ARM compatibility is considered *experimental*

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 36 days, 6 hours, 10 minutes
    Processor  : Neoverse-N1
    CPU cores  : 4 @ ??? MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 23.4 GiB
    Swap       : 5.0 GiB
    Disk       : 196.3 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Kernel     : 5.10.0-21-arm64
    VM Type    : KVM

Basic Network Information:
    Protocol   : IPv4
    ISP        : Oracle Corporation
    ASN        : AS31898 Oracle Corporation
    Host       : Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (ap-hyderabad-1)
    Location   : Hyderabad, Telangana (TG)
    Country    : India

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 70.09 MB/s   (17.5k) | 166.21 MB/s   (2.5k)
    Write      | 70.05 MB/s   (17.5k) | 171.16 MB/s   (2.6k)
    Total      | 140.14 MB/s  (35.0k) | 337.37 MB/s   (5.2k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 215.14 MB/s    (420) | 191.06 MB/s    (186)
    Write      | 233.54 MB/s    (456) | 213.16 MB/s    (208)
    Total      | 448.68 MB/s    (876) | 404.23 MB/s    (394)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.14 Gbits/sec  | 670 Mbits/sec   | 143 ms         
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 3.07 Gbits/sec  | busy            | 152 ms         
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 1.16 Gbits/sec  | 1.30 Gbits/sec  | 148 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 2.39 Gbits/sec  | 503 Mbits/sec   | 241 ms         
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 768 Mbits/sec   | 549 Mbits/sec   | 224 ms         
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 611 Mbits/sec   | 583 Mbits/sec   | 258 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 569 Mbits/sec   | 472 Mbits/sec   | 285 ms         

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.17 Gbits/sec  | 616 Mbits/sec   | 143 ms         
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | 932 Mbits/sec   | 173 ms         
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 1.13 Gbits/sec  | busy            | 148 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | 1.04 Gbits/sec  | 241 ms         
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | busy            | 224 ms         
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | busy            | 564 Mbits/sec   | 257 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | 486 Mbits/sec   | 285 ms         

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1099                          
    Multi Core      | 2682                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/391619

YABS completed in 15 min 7 sec

the server is running other bunch of stuff too, might be the one affecting cpu score or has gb6 changed?

Thanked by 2nocloud Not_Oles
  • @FatGrizzly said:

@nocloud said:
    Does anyone have or know of a YABS for the 2 core AMD vs 4 core ampere A1 available on the free tier to compare them?

arm 4c 24g ind.hyd.

the server is running other bunch of stuff too, might be the one affecting cpu score or has gb6 changed?

still quite impressive for ARM on GB6. thanks.

If anyone has a current YABS for the 2c AMD, would be appreciated.