Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 61
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• does this mean it can now only create 2 VMs because only 2 Block Volumes Storage are allowed?

• @skizoid said:

does this mean it can now only create 2 VMs because only 2 Block Volumes Storage are allowed?

No, you can create upto 4, as the minimum storage required per boot Volume is 50GBs. Block Volume =! Boot Volume.

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • ariq01ariq01 Member
    edited July 2023

Does anyone use their autonomous database? like Oracle Autonomous Transaction Processing, Autonomous Data Warehouse, Autonomous JSON Database, or APEX Application Development. ?

I don't know what that is and wanna try to find out. maybe I can store sql database for free and connect it with php or nodejs if possible ?.

• host4cheaphost4cheap Member
    edited August 2023

I accidentally destroyed my free tier VPS while trying to upgrade to pay as you go.

Now If i select Oracle Linux 8 + VM.Standard.A1.Flex (Virtual machine, 4 core OCPU, 24 GB memory, 4 Gbps network bandwidth), I see estimated billing at 2$ per month for Boot volume. Any idea why ?

• MrHMrH Member
    edited August 2023

@host4cheap said:
    I accidentally destroyed my free tier VPS while trying to upgrade to pay as you go.

Now If i select Oracle Linux 8 + VM.Standard.A1.Flex (Virtual machine, 4 core OCPU, 24 GB memory, 4 Gbps network bandwidth), I see estimated billing at 2$ per month for Boot volume. Any idea why ?

Did you check if the volume still exists? Storage -> Block Storage -> Boot volumes

• pkrpkr Member

Is it really free?
    I created a free instance. Although it says, "always free", the oracle representative is calling me to convert it to a paid account. Does anyone share this experience?

• @pkr said:
    Is it really free?
    I created a free instance. Although it says, "always free", the oracle representative is calling me to convert it to a paid account. Does anyone share this experience?

Yes it's really free if you are on the always-free tier. How long it lasts, your mileage may vary.

Remember the target audience for oracle cloud are not people like you or me, but people who don't care about pricing that much and need their web services to work. The representatives are calling to get you onboarded on their platform so you pay more.

• @MrH said:
    Did you check if the volume still exists? Storage -> Block Storage -> Boot volumes

It seems like a bug
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oraclecloud/comments/14pg5dr/oracle_always_free_service_have_boot_volume_cost/

Thanked by 1MrH
  • If I am on free tier, what is the smallest/cheapest service shall I use which will enable Oracle to charge me minimum amount monthly so this way my free service will continue to work and not discontinue for any reason?

• You can increase the Boot volume size by a few gigabytes... (over the total of 200GB that is in the free tier)

Thanked by 2Erisa alilet
  • Guys, does anybody know whether it is possible to use certbot to get SSL certificate while using WAF (Edge policy)? Cannot figure out how to forward port 80 to my server behind WAF.

• @JohnFilch123 said: t is possible to use certbot to get SSL certificate while using WAF

certbot with DNS challenge?

• @ariq01 said:

@JohnFilch123 said: t is possible to use certbot to get SSL certificate while using WAF

The problem is I will need to manually add this to WAF manually, which is not comfortable. So, I am thinking about a way to terminate SSL on my server and not on WAF.

• @JohnFilch123 said:

@ariq01 said:

@JohnFilch123 said: t is possible to use certbot to get SSL certificate while using WAF

The problem is I will need to manually add this to WAF manually, which is not comfortable. So, I am thinking about a way to terminate SSL on my server and not on WAF.

"Comfortable" is ambiguous in this usage. You're probably not going to get more help without clarification.

• Tried very hard for a few months but could not take a place in SG. Any trick for it?

• @kainjinez said:
    Tried very hard for a few months but could not take a place in SG. Any trick for it?

Try using bot to get VPS via API.

• Hi all! I screwed up MFA on OCI and now I can't login in. Customer support requires some CSI no. and chat needs some SR no. none of which I have. I've given up on ever being able to login. However, my instance is fine (I have a PAYG account). The only doubtful thing is Cloud Shell which is required to be used at least once every 6 months, failing which its home directory will be wiped.
    Now, from what I understand, cloud shell is only to have a terminal in the OCI console. Since I can't login, there's no way I can use it. But it should not affect my vm or wipe my vm home directory. Anybody can shed more light on this?

• @popsss said:
    Hi all! I screwed up MFA on OCI and now I can't login in. Customer support requires some CSI no. and chat needs some SR no. none of which I have. I've given up on ever being able to login. However, my instance is fine (I have a PAYG account). The only doubtful thing is Cloud Shell which is required to be used at least once every 6 months, failing which its home directory will be wiped.
    Now, from what I understand, cloud shell is only to have a terminal in the OCI console. Since I can't login, there's no way I can use it. But it should not affect my vm or wipe my vm home directory. Anybody can shed more light on this?

Nothing will happen. Cloud Shell is an insignificant product, it's a management console for Oracle Cloud, with its help you can create virtual machines, etc., it's a replacement for a web panel.

Thanked by 1popsss
  • @Hotmarer said:

@popsss said:
    Hi all! I screwed up MFA on OCI and now I can't login in. Customer support requires some CSI no. and chat needs some SR no. none of which I have. I've given up on ever being able to login. However, my instance is fine (I have a PAYG account). The only doubtful thing is Cloud Shell which is required to be used at least once every 6 months, failing which its home directory will be wiped.

Nothing will happen. Cloud Shell is an insignificant product, it's a management console for Oracle Cloud, with its help you can create virtual machines, etc., it's a replacement for a web panel.

Great to hear. I've had this account for upwards of 3 years and it has worked flawlessly barring an outage sometime in 2022 IIRC. Just a heads up for anybody looking into their mfr - its extremely fiddly and settings need to be changed at multiple places. I was in fact REMOVING the previously setup mfa when the goofup happened, lol.

• UmutUmut Member

Anyone knows how to create an account on Oracle Cloud Free Tier? I use my real name, real address, real phone number, work mail (or gmail) and real credit card (not virtual) but still couldn't create an acount for 2 years.

• @Umut said:
    Anyone knows how to create an account on Oracle Cloud Free Tier? I use my real name, real address, real phone number, work mail (or gmail) and real credit card (not virtual) but still couldn't create an acount for 2 years.

Which country are you living in ?

• @Hotmarer said:

@popsss said:

I received this notice from Oracle:

I only use their free instance thru SSH, so this warning is not an issue? i have no clue what that "home directory" is.

• @davide said:

@Hotmarer said:

@popsss said:

I only use their free instance thru SSH, so this warning is not an issue? i have no clue what that "home directory" is.

Just scroll up about five posts. This was just discussed, but it seems it's not an issue.

• I can never get oracle to work. Over the year I have tried various methods to creating an account but even after using a different emails, providing actual, real address and using legit credit cards it won't let me create an account but it will definitely charge my card for the account creation verification. It's annoying af! Is there some sort of a trick or anything to it?

• @raaron773 said:
    I can never get oracle to work. Over the year I have tried various methods to creating an account but even after using a different emails, providing actual, real address and using legit credit cards it won't let me create an account but it will definitely charge my card for the account creation verification. It's annoying af! Is there some sort of a trick or anything to it?

Larry Ellison is watching you!!!

• Huh, didn't know who he was until now.

• xaocxaoc Member

Some network issues in Australia. 😔

• @davide said:

@Hotmarer said:

@popsss said:

Are you using Windows XP💀

• @niranjan said:

@davide said:

@Hotmarer said:

@popsss said:

Are you using Windows XP💀

Look like Thunderbird theme

• @raaron773 said:
    I can never get oracle to work. Over the year I have tried various methods to creating an account but even after using a different emails, providing actual, real address and using legit credit cards it won't let me create an account but it will definitely charge my card for the account creation verification. It's annoying af! Is there some sort of a trick or anything to it?

The trick is to be persistent. They're among the strictest when it comes to verification. At least for me they do refund the verification charges after a day or two.

When i did registered in 2018 i did it on a fresh browser, no add-ons, fresh cache, fresh cookie, default isp dns, default ip etc. Basically looking as average joe as i can. Wished i picked other region than south korea though, always out of stock for arm ampere.