Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 63
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• This is not safe. My 19-year-old account was blocked last month.

• @Erisa said:

@popsss said:
    Hi, I'm a PAYG customer, never billed. Remember reading somewhere in this thread, never-billed PAYG accounts are auto-closed after a year. Anyone experienced it? What cheap stuff can I buy to extend my instance's life? And how do I buy anything, say extra storage- just start using extra storage?

If you've reached the 200 GB free storage then just create a 1 GB block volume and you'll be charged a few cents.

The smallest block volume possible is 50GB...

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Very good service, but my application was rejected.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited November 2023

Finally got past the a b c bullshit on sign up after trying many cards and email addresses (all real details) over the past few months

The thing that solved it was a new phone number. Seems they blacklist by phone number if you have more than x failed sign up attempts

I was excited to finally give them my money for a confidential computing instance, but it turns out they don't allow it to be enabled on burstable instances, so the prices are an order of magnitude above low end… back to AWS t4g I go

• sixsix Member
    edited November 2023

@popsss said:

@Erisa said:

@popsss said:
    Hi, I'm a PAYG customer, never billed. Remember reading somewhere in this thread, never-billed PAYG accounts are auto-closed after a year. Anyone experienced it? What cheap stuff can I buy to extend my instance's life? And how do I buy anything, say extra storage- just start using extra storage?

If you've reached the 200 GB free storage then just create a 1 GB block volume and you'll be charged a few cents.

Simply resize an existing block volume so that it goes past the 200 GB limit, ex. 201 GB. It is a one way process though, only way to undo that is to recreate the volume with no data.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@ctdv said:
    This is not safe. My 19-year-old account was blocked last month.

Oracle Cloud was launched on October 20, 2016, how did you manage to have a 19 year old account?

• @six said:

@popsss said:

@Erisa said:

@popsss said:

Simply resize an existing block volume so that it goes past the 200 GB limit, ex. 201 GB. It is a one way process though, only way to undo that is to recreate the volume with no data.

there's also the option of setting up an NFS share (billed at $0.30/gb) and store a few kilobytes there (that could be a good way to get billed $0.01/month).

this way you don't get into the trouble of resizing the block device.

Thanked by 3Erisa 0xC7 popsss
  • As far i can see, they still don't support prepaid cards or am i wrong? Only "credit" cards.

• Ok my typo was wrong (I meant the account was blocked in 2019. Not 19

• @TheBoy said:
    As far i can see, they still don't support prepaid cards or am i wrong? Only "credit" cards.

You're correct, and they are really picky on the credit cards used as well. It took me 3 cards to sign up.

• saying it again, a $12/year VPS is better than Orashit cloud free tier.

it's just a marketing gimmick.

• @nikozin said:
    saying it again, a $12/year VPS is better than Orashit cloud free tier.

The "marketing gimmick" still works though. Free is free.

• @kvz12 said:

@nikozin said:

It’s been working for me for over a year, but I still won’t use it for anything remotely important.

• Turbo_PascalTurbo_Pascal Member
    edited November 2023

Edit: I should have read more before asking. I see from previous posts that account terminations are real.
    There are rumors that free Oracle accounts can get unexpectedly terminated. Should I ignore the rumors?

• cupcakecupcake Member
    edited November 2023

@Turbo_Pascal said:
    Edit: I should have read more before asking. I see from previous posts that account terminations are real.
    There are rumors that free Oracle accounts can get unexpectedly terminated. Should I ignore the rumors?

Don't ignore, it is real. Obviously do backup even if on another solid provider, shit happens.

Terminated is 2 different thing with oracle. Idlers being terminated but can recreate vm again if resources is available, and terminated as in full account ban. But since people won't admit about god knows what they've hosted there that might break oracle tos and only cry about being banned, no one knows how prevalence is the supposedly "no reason ban".

• I've been idling for years, I ran experiment with ARM, one VM with 0 load, second VM 100% cpu load, idled for like 5 months until I deleted them, no terminations or warnings.
    I'm on Amsterdam region. My assumption is that they more likely to terminate in the regions with scarce resource like Asian region. I've never seen ARM being out of stock, but Asian regions get those a lot.

• My account was suspended without notice. I had read people having this issue, so wasn't super surprised. I wasn't doing anything illegal, I was hosting a personal piped instance, blog, uptime kuma, and personal nextcloud. I'm guessing it was nextcloud as i just added that 2 weeks ago and everything was fine for at least a year. I guess the only plus is that they did it around BF so hopefully I don't have to break the bank replacing it. I'll be looking for 4cpu/8GB. It's probably overkill but piped/nextcloud def run like crap on 1GB (the always free tier) before I moved them to the ampere instance w much more resources.

• @darkknight said:
    My account was suspended without notice. I had read people having this issue, so wasn't super surprised. I wasn't doing anything illegal, I was hosting a personal piped instance, blog, uptime kuma, and personal nextcloud. I'm guessing it was nextcloud as i just added that 2 weeks ago and everything was fine for at least a year. I guess the only plus is that they did it around BF so hopefully I don't have to break the bank replacing it. I'll be looking for 4cpu/8GB. It's probably overkill but piped/nextcloud def run like crap on 1GB (the always free tier) before I moved them to the ampere instance w much more resources.

Which region was terminated?

• @varwww said:

@darkknight said:
    My account was suspended without notice. I had read people having this issue, so wasn't super surprised. I wasn't doing anything illegal, I was hosting a personal piped instance, blog, uptime kuma, and personal nextcloud. I'm guessing it was nextcloud as i just added that 2 weeks ago and everything was fine for at least a year. I guess the only plus is that they did it around BF so hopefully I don't have to break the bank replacing it. I'll be looking for 4cpu/8GB. It's probably overkill but piped/nextcloud def run like crap on 1GB (the always free tier) before I moved them to the ampere instance w much more resources.

Which region was terminated?

I was in Ashburn east, USA

Thanked by 1varwww
  • @jmaxwell said:

@kvz12 said:

@nikozin said:

It’s been working for me for over a year, but I still won’t use it for anything remotely important.

Why not use it for important stuff?

• @josephf said:

@jmaxwell said:

@kvz12 said:

@nikozin said:

Why not use it for important stuff?

Due to past experiences (my own and those of hundreds or even thousands of others), it could vanish overnight as if it never existed.

Thanked by 2ariq01 adly
  • @popsss said:

I've had a PAYG account with them for over two years now and never been billed for anything. I don't recall seeing such a mention here though. Perhaps it was for free accounts or can you find that quote?

• @darkknight said:

Doubt it was NextCloud. They have that as an example on the default dashboard of things to install. Like others who got terminated, I'd bet you were hitting data centers, which Oracle assumes are VPNs and thus, in their eyes, you're covering up nefarious activity. I'd guess Piped did something along those lines in a new update or setting, but who knows.

Thanked by 1darkknight
  • @Crab said:

@popsss said:

I've had a PAYG account with them for over two years now and never been billed for anything. I don't recall seeing such a mention here though. Perhaps it was for free accounts or can you find that quote?

Do PAYG accounts get all the same free services as free accounts do?

• @josephf said:

@Crab said:

@popsss said:

Do PAYG accounts get all the same free services as free accounts do?

Yes they do AFAIK.

• @darkknight said:

I've been running nextcloud for a couple of years now on Oracle - zero issues.

• very good services , awesome,

• Is it just me or website hosted on Oracle cloud free tier, specifically ARM one, is very slow to load?

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

D> @quangthang said:

Is it just me or website hosted on Oracle cloud free tier, specifically ARM one, is very slow to load?

what control panel are using ?

• @mustafamw3 said:
    D> @quangthang said:

Is it just me or website hosted on Oracle cloud free tier, specifically ARM one, is very slow to load?

what control panel are using ?

I'm using HestiaCP