Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 62
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @kepler said:

@raaron773 said:
    I can never get oracle to work. Over the year I have tried various methods to creating an account but even after using a different emails, providing actual, real address and using legit credit cards it won't let me create an account but it will definitely charge my card for the account creation verification. It's annoying af! Is there some sort of a trick or anything to it?

The trick is to be persistent. They're among the strictest when it comes to verification. At least for me they do refund the verification charges after a day or two.

When i did registered in 2018 i did it on a fresh browser, no add-ons, fresh cache, fresh cookie, default isp dns, default ip etc. Basically looking as average joe as i can. Wished i picked other region than south korea though, always out of stock for arm ampere.

I see. I will try this some day. Thank you for your input. Really appreciate it

• RIP to my idler 🫡

$ w
     22:24:31 up 856 days, 12:58,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.10, 0.10

• andaanda Member

Had an oracle cloud account last year but it was suspended, now it is very difficult to get it again.

• So, a friend created a free tier account in Singapore region a long time back and till date has not been able to create an instance (out of capacity). Today for the lulz, he tried again and now there is a small persistent window showing estimated charges of SGD 2.78/month for the boot volume. Everything he selected is a per the free tier allowances. What gives? Has Oracle stopped free instances in Singapore region?

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

How is this profitable for Oracle? Isn't giving free instances away a large profit gap?

• @BasToTheMax said:
    How is this profitable for Oracle? Isn't giving free instances away a large profit gap?

Their cloud revenue is in the ballpark of billions of dollars. Some banks offer up to hundreds of dollars in sign-up bonuses. Getting a captive niche audience is surely worth more. Remember that the x64 offers is really weak and the ARM64 offers are scarcely available, they're just utilizing otherwise unused spare capacity as a marketing tool.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • I was forced to install "Oracle Authenticator App" on login recently.

PSA: Generate your bypass codes (Never Expires, Unlimited) for your A/c and store it safely. This is the only alternative way to login if you uninstall the "Oracle Authenticator App" / lose your phone. If you do not have a bypass code, you may have to contact support which may be difficult on a free tier A/c.

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Identity/users/generate-bypass-codes-user-accounts.htm

Thanked by 1licher70
  • @varwww said:
    I was forced to install "Oracle Authenticator App" on login recently.

PSA: Generate your bypass codes (Never Expires, Unlimited) for your A/c and store it safely. This is the only alternative way to login if you uninstall the "Oracle Authenticator App" / lose your phone. If you do not have a bypass code, you may have to contact support which may be difficult on a free tier A/c.

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Identity/users/generate-bypass-codes-user-accounts.htm

You don't need to use that thing. Any totp compatible apps would do. Personally i used ente auth. Opensource, ability to backup and restore instead of being locked to that oracle auth thingy.

• I was stumped too when it asked me for 2FA and i didn't want yet another app and don't have a Youbikey, but managed to get TOTP working too via keepassXC. but it's not obvious, makes you think there are only those 2 options.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • @nocloud said:
    I was stumped too when it asked me for 2FA and i didn't want yet another app and don't have a Youbikey, but managed to get TOTP working too via keepassXC. but it's not obvious, makes you think there are only those 2 options.

I'm used to sites referring to 2FA as Google Authenticator or Authy, when I use neither, so I try my app instead before thinking of anything else.

• Oracle Mobile Authenticator is an authentication-only app, but if you feel comfortable installing it, it is a good idea to install it. When the OCI login screen is displayed, a notification will be sent to your smartphone and you can log in with a single tap. No one-time input is required. convenience!

• @balloon said:
    Oracle Mobile Authenticator is an authentication-only app, but if you feel comfortable installing it, it is a good idea to install it. When the OCI login screen is displayed, a notification will be sent to your smartphone and you can log in with a single tap. No one-time input is required. convenience!

Ive already got too many apps tracking me. That thing is spy device in my pocket.

I just use keepassXC and TOTP works fine was just not immediately obvious on oracle.

• I heard that they randomly terminate free-tier instances. Can anyone confirm?

• @yusra said:
    I heard that they randomly terminate free-tier instances. Can anyone confirm?

Not randomly. They terminate idlers. If you hosted anything at all that have any slight cpu or network usage then nothing to be worried about. My tor relay and authoritative dns has been running since 2019. Few hiccups here and there but never been outright terminated yet.

Thanked by 1yusra
  • @nocloud said:

@balloon said:
    Oracle Mobile Authenticator is an authentication-only app, but if you feel comfortable installing it, it is a good idea to install it. When the OCI login screen is displayed, a notification will be sent to your smartphone and you can log in with a single tap. No one-time input is required. convenience!

Ive already got too many apps tracking me. That thing is spy device in my pocket.

I just use keepassXC and TOTP works fine was just not immediately obvious on oracle.

Hi any idea where the "secret key" is available on Oracle Cloud Dashboard for KeepassXC? Currently I have this "Oracle Mobile Authenticator" and the goal is to get rid of this app and use keepassxc TOTP since I use keepassxc locally for all websites.

• @cupcake said:

@yusra said:

Not randomly. They terminate idlers. If you hosted anything at all that have any slight cpu or network usage then nothing to be worried about. My tor relay and authoritative dns has been running since 2019. Few hiccups here and there but never been outright terminated yet.

Just be careful of not having too much usage, because that will also get you booted.

I had an account for half a year, and then suddenly was suspended.
    There was no explanation given. Not even a clear message to tell me that I was indeed suspended.
    Just silently closed my servers, and limited my account with a vague error message.

I liked OCI, and the value you get (for free) is out of this world.
    But with practices such as this, I can't really recommend them any longer.
    Only if you are absolutely understanding, and ready, for your account to be closed the next day.

• For anyone locked out of their account due to MFA device lost or misconfigured sign-on policy etc., here's a thread that explains how to regain access:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oraclecloud/comments/17ekieg/restore_2fa_locked_account/
    It works, just unlocked my own account.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Foxx said: Just be careful of not having too much usage, because that will also get you booted.

There was no explanation given. Not even a clear message to tell me that I was indeed suspended.
    Just silently closed my servers, and limited my account with a vague error message.

But you cannot say this was for excess usage either.

• @kepler said:

@raaron773 said:
    I can never get oracle to work. Over the year I have tried various methods to creating an account but even after using a different emails, providing actual, real address and using legit credit cards it won't let me create an account but it will definitely charge my card for the account creation verification. It's annoying af! Is there some sort of a trick or anything to it?

The trick is to be persistent. They're among the strictest when it comes to verification. At least for me they do refund the verification charges after a day or two.

When i did registered in 2018 i did it on a fresh browser, no add-ons, fresh cache, fresh cookie, default isp dns, default ip etc. Basically looking as average joe as i can. Wished i picked other region than south korea though, always out of stock for arm ampere.

I've heard that you can use this trick when getting OOS problem:
    Use your debit card with small amount of money and put your account as a Pay as you go plan. Create plan without restriction. Finally, you should lock that card to make sure Oracle cannot charge any money from you.

• @yusra said:

Yes totally. Use it, idle it, legal things, illegal things.. they terminate accounts with no reason at all.

• Why can't I register? I have replaced more than 10 credit and debit cards and still reported an error

• 0xC70xC7 Member
    edited October 2023

@jasonxu said:
    Why can't I register? I have replaced more than 10 credit and debit cards and still reported an error

Is that already answering your own question? ... (too many error while inputing bank/card -- triggering fraud detection)

• @0xC7 said:

@jasonxu said:
    Why can't I register? I have replaced more than 10 credit and debit cards and still reported an error

Is that already answering your own question? ... (too many error inputing bank/card -- lead fraud detection)

I am sure this is not an issue with my credit card, as I have confirmed the information multiple times during the registration process and also replaced multiple cards

• @jasonxu said:

they don't want users from china because your fellow citizens cause a lot of abuse

• @bench said:

@jasonxu said:

they don't want users from china because your fellow citizens cause a lot of abuse

oh f***

• Hi, I'm a PAYG customer, never billed. Remember reading somewhere in this thread, never-billed PAYG accounts are auto-closed after a year. Anyone experienced it? What cheap stuff can I buy to extend my instance's life? And how do I buy anything, say extra storage- just start using extra storage?

• @rm_ said:

@Foxx said: Just be careful of not having too much usage, because that will also get you booted.

But you cannot say this was for excess usage either.

No you're right, I worded that poorly.
    My message was supposed to be split in 2 I guess.

I've heard about several people that have had their accounts suspended, because they were using excess power.
    I guess this goes without saying. You're supposed to be mindful of any services, and especially a free one like this.

My own termination is still a mystery, but I suspect it might have been something to do with the content I stored on my servers.
    See, I was using this free VPS to automatically sign in to a multitude of accounts of mine, in order to prevent termination for inactivity.
    To be able to do this, I had to have lists of account credentials hosted, and this might have flagged my server in the system or something.

That being said, I had created 3 servers, and was only using one of them, so the "too little usage" might be what caused it anyways.

Regardless, I'm not interested in Oracle any longer, after the treatment I got.
    I never received a proper reply from them, detailing what had happened.
    Instead my servers were just quietly turned off, and I was "shadow banned" from their platform, without any hint of what had really happened, nor any way to dispute their actions.

• Just as a small summary, if you want to switch from a free to a PAYG account:

You set it up, and it keeps running, right?
    Does it also prevent from the "out of capacity" problem if you would like to start it after it's off?

They shut down my instance 1 day ago (not the first time) and now it's ooc.
    Otherwise, I never had an issue with them, since 2019 or even longer? :D

Thanks in advance.

• is anyone managed to get new arm instance from SG region recently?

• @popsss said:
    Hi, I'm a PAYG customer, never billed. Remember reading somewhere in this thread, never-billed PAYG accounts are auto-closed after a year. Anyone experienced it? What cheap stuff can I buy to extend my instance's life? And how do I buy anything, say extra storage- just start using extra storage?

If you've reached the 200 GB free storage then just create a 1 GB block volume and you'll be charged a few cents.