Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 47
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @jmaxwell said:

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@TimRoo said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:
    Oracle can shut down your free tier account anytime. Don't bother signing up, even for testing stuff, it's not worth it. Get a cheap $20 vps instead.

Just got mine terminated after 2 days without citing any reason.

All I did was install an nginx using "apt install nginx". Next day I get authorization error on my oracle account

That’s maybe issue with your cards or something. Been using for 2 years and no problem so far :D

It’s always a gamble so can’t trust our data with it

But that's perfect for testing. :D

Or backups. A 200 GB NextCloud account for free is nice, however long it lasts

I made a seedbox and Plex server using the Swiss location. So far so good

no dmca issues with public torrents?
    Or
    using/seeding only pvt tracker torrents?

Public, yes. It’s been going on since a few months now so I assume DMCA isn’t a thing for that location.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3429709/#Comment_3429709
    Your own comments are contradictory :sweat_smile:

• VoidVoid Member
    edited July 2022

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@TimRoo said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:
    Oracle can shut down your free tier account anytime. Don't bother signing up, even for testing stuff, it's not worth it. Get a cheap $20 vps instead.

All I did was install an nginx using "apt install nginx". Next day I get authorization error on my oracle account

That’s maybe issue with your cards or something. Been using for 2 years and no problem so far :D

Or

Public, yes. It’s been going on since a few months now so I assume DMCA isn’t a thing for that location.

That comment is still valid. Public torrent or not, your account might get terminated anytime. If you want a reliable seedbox(or anything at all), it isn’t the go to service

• adwsislifeadwsislife Member
    edited July 2022

@jmaxwell said:

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@TimRoo said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:

Or

That comment is still valid. Public torrent or not, your account might get terminated anytime. If you want a reliable seedbox(or anything at all), it isn’t the go to service

Ooh ok. Got it.
    So.....you are not much worried about account termination?
    Edit:- Nvm. Read your comment again and got it. Thanks

• VoidVoid Member

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@TimRoo said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:

Or

Ooh ok. Got it.
    So.....you are not much worried about account termination?
    Edit:- Nvm. Read your comment again and got it. Thanks

Fingers crossed lol. I’ll update if and when it happens :smiley:

Thanked by 1adwsislife
  • varwwwvarwww Member
    edited August 2022

Seems like they are terminating random people on the free tier again.

• @varwww said:
    Seems like they are terminating random people on the free tier again.

Rip. I'm still good so crossing my fingers.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

FWIW, my Oracle free tier account seems okay. Been using it for months now, and without upgrading to a paid account.

Some of you guys might be interested to read my Low End Box article about not upgrading to a paid account, Asking the Oracle, "Is 'Always Free' the future of the Low End?"

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • According to my Oracle Cloud account it was made on Aug 16, 2020 so I've had this for very almost 2 years now. Used to use the Epyc instances before they launched Ampere and thought it was quite generous, I was taken aback when they launched as many Ampere resources as they did.

I've not upgraded my account away from Always Free, the card I used for signup has expired by now and no payment method shows on my account anymore anyway. Free services work completely fine.

I did have the scare before where they removed all my IPv4 addresses and I had to put them back, I tweaked my setups to rely on IPv6 more just in case that happens again.

But yes, Oracle has sort of a history of both rejecting sign-ups and deleting existing accounts for arbitrary or unexplained reasons. This might be their AI tripping up on something nobody can understand or some other similarly strange system. Given that it is an entirely free service it is understandable that support isn't going to be of any use (Support hours are very costly), so always tread with caution but don't be afraid to enjoy the free stuff while you have it.

My Oracle instances back themselves up to BorgBase every 6 hours, if they all die one day then I will restore their contents on another server, even if I have to pay for it then it will have been worth the trouble for the 2+ years of free service.

That's just my situation though. Some people get terminated after hours, some after days or weeks or months. Take backups, be cautious, but enjoy it nonetheless.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited August 2022

@Not_Oles said:
    FWIW, my Oracle free tier account seems okay. Been using it for months now, and without upgrading to a paid account.

Right. I don't discount some random cancelations here and there, but I still suspect there's either some odd use cases that are failing Oracle's automated checks and/or some torrenting that's getting flagged that's causing most of these cancelations.

But like others have said, it's free, so enjoy it while you can. Easy come easy go.

Some of you guys might be interested to read my Low End Box article about not upgrading to a paid account, Asking the Oracle, "Is 'Always Free' the future of the Low End?"

Read through that. I was tempted to limit that boot volume to 199 GB just like you, just in case there was no wiggle room on the 200 GB cap. But it let me go to 200 GB without issue, still on the free tier for months now.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • I created account a few days ago but couldnt create any VM and getting some error. Opened a ticket but they closed it saying I am a free customer so need to use community forum.
    I opened a thread on Oracle forum but no luck. They just dont reply.
    Then day before yesterday I received an automated email from Oracle VP asking me to submit my response to the ticket I created a few days ago. You know the one where they ask you some questions about quality of their support like a survey.
    I straight up told them what happened and that Oracle cloud is a fucking joke (my exact words) which no one takes seriously.
    The very next day my ticket was reopened and a support person assigned. Now he will have a Zoom session with me tomorrow to check what the issue is.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited August 2022

@alilet said:
    I created account a few days ago but couldnt create any VM and getting some error. Opened a ticket but they closed it saying I am a free customer so need to use community forum.
    Then day before yesterday I received an automated email from Oracle VP asking me to submit my response to the ticket I created a few days ago. You know the one where they ask you some questions about quality of their support like a survey.
    I straight up told them what happened and that Oracle cloud is a fucking joke (my exact words) which no one takes seriously.
    The very next day my ticket was reopened and a support person assigned. Now he will have a Zoom session with me tomorrow to check what the issue is.

This video mentions some errors. His channel is probably the biggest resource for setting things up, so he might have covered your issue somewhere along the line.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @TimRoo said:

@alilet said:
    I created account a few days ago but couldnt create any VM and getting some error. Opened a ticket but they closed it saying I am a free customer so need to use community forum.

This video mentions some errors. His channel is probably the biggest resource for setting things up, so he might have covered your issue somewhere along the line.

Saw the video but my issue is not discussed in it. The error I am getting is You don't have permission to view these resources in this compartment. Try another compartment, or contact your administrator for help

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • chitreechitree Member
    edited August 2022

@Erisa said:
    But yes, Oracle has sort of a history of both rejecting sign-ups and deleting existing accounts for arbitrary or unexplained reasons. This might be their AI tripping up on something nobody can understand or some other similarly strange system. Given that it is an entirely free service it is understandable that support isn't going to be of any use (Support hours are very costly), so always tread with caution but don't be afraid to enjoy the free stuff while you have it.

I tried numerous times to get a free tier account from them. Their customer service was very unresponsive and I was told on the phone that there was an issue with my account creation but that it was "against company policy" to tell me what it was. I asked him then "how do I fix it?" and he said I can't. Any tips or tricks for those of us who Oracle deems unworthy of their free services?

• @chitree said:

@Erisa said:

I tried numerous times to get a free tier account from them. Their customer service was very unresponsive and I was told on the phone that there was an issue with my account creation but that it was "against company policy" to tell me what it was. I asked him then "how do I fix it?" and he said I can't. Any tips or tricks for those of us who Oracle deems unworthy of their free services?

Get a job at Fortune 500. They appear to weed out the little guys as resources are less available than at launch.

• @alilet said:

@TimRoo said:

@alilet said:

Saw the video but my issue is not discussed in it. The error I am getting is You don't have permission to view these resources in this compartment. Try another compartment, or contact your administrator for help

Clicking on what? You should be able to get to the Vm creation page at least.

• if i create an instance with 4x arms, 200GB and 25GB ram (yes, 1GB more from free tier limit) which add cost less than 1-2 dollars a month, will that will make my vm safe from their random termination?

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@ElonBezos Bright idea! I like it! But, does that extra 1 GB move the entire instance out of the free tier such that you would be charged for the entire instance, not just the extra 1 GB?

• @TimboJones said:

@alilet said:

@TimRoo said:

@alilet said:

Clicking on what? You should be able to get to the Vm creation page at least.

Yes I go to VM creation page where you see all settings like CPU, OS, RAM etc. Even if I keep everything default and just press button to create, I get this error message.

• ralfralf Member
    edited August 2022

@Not_Oles said:
    @ElonBezos Bright idea! I like it! But, does that extra 1 GB move the entire instance out of the free tier such that you would be charged for the entire instance, not just the extra 1 GB?

Not according to the T&Cs, but who knows whether it'll make it safe!

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @ElonBezos said:

if i create an instance with 4x arms, 200GB and 25GB ram (yes, 1GB more from free tier limit) which add cost less than 1-2 dollars a month, will that will make my vm safe from their random termination?

Tell us how it goes!

This seems like a good idea, i really like this arm machines, if they cost 1 dollar a month and i make sure they don't get automatically deleted, then i'll happily pay for it.

• @Not_Oles said:

According to the pricing calculator you'll only be charged for the usage above the free tier, in this case 1GB of RAM which costs around $1

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Erisa said: According to the pricing calculator you'll only be charged for the usage above the free tier, in this case 1GB of RAM which costs around $1

As such 24 GB of RAM will get terminated, but you'll get 1GB remaining, except no CPU or storage to use it with.

But speaking seriously, it seems like "random terminations" is a much more overblown "issue" than it actually is (if there is such a thing at all).

• All the account termination story I hear happened to the account created in the last 0-2 months. Usually in their first month before trial expires. I guess those accounts created a long time ago are safe?
    Oracle prioritize paid users in terms of resources allocation. So if there is some incident on the host node & nodes need to be moved, we might end up out of host capacity situation. Specially those MJJ's favorite locations.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @rm_ said:

@Erisa said: According to the pricing calculator you'll only be charged for the usage above the free tier, in this case 1GB of RAM which costs around $1

As such 24 GB of RAM will get terminated, but you'll get 1GB remaining, except no CPU or storage to use it with.

But speaking seriously, it seems like "random terminations" is a much more overblown "issue" than it actually is (if there is such a thing at all).

Yeah I think some of it is random automated checks gone wrong (or capacity constraints), but some is almost certainly people saying they were terminated for no reason but were really torrenting or something like that (or maybe just sitting on the VPS and not using it?). A free tier or anything is going to bring some level of abuse, and some might think that behavior they get away with on other VPSs is going to be allowed on Oracle.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Ok my VM is finally created and I have got public and private keys. How do I use these keys in putty to connect to my VM? Or if you know how to use them on Windows command prompt as Windows 10 has now ssh client built in which can be accessed from command prompt.

• @alilet said:
    Ok my VM is finally created and I have got public and private keys. How do I use these keys in putty to connect to my VM? Or if you know how to use them on Windows command prompt as Windows 10 has now ssh client built in which can be accessed from command prompt.

ssh opc@ip_address —i private_key
    ip_address is the public IP address of the instance, and private_key is the full path and name of the file

For details, you can refer this
    https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/cloud-at-customer/occ-get-started/log-vm-using-ssh.html

If you want to change it to password based login in ssh, let me know. I will share the steps I had done in past

Thanked by 1alilet
  • ralfralf Member

Or you can just use that key once and add your normal ssh key to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys as usual.

• @adwsislife said:

@alilet said:
    Ok my VM is finally created and I have got public and private keys. How do I use these keys in putty to connect to my VM? Or if you know how to use them on Windows command prompt as Windows 10 has now ssh client built in which can be accessed from command prompt.

ssh opc@ip_address —i private_key
    ip_address is the public IP address of the instance, and private_key is the full path and name of the file

For details, you can refer this
    https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/cloud-at-customer/occ-get-started/log-vm-using-ssh.html

If you want to change it to password based login in ssh, let me know. I will share the steps I had done in past

Thanks it worked. I noticed that htop is showing the machine has 2 cores and 680MB RAM but Oracle panel says it has 1 OCPU and 1GB RAM. Strange. Plus the machine looks very slow.

• martheenmartheen Member
    edited August 2022

@alilet said: showing the machine has 2 cores and 680MB RAM

From Oracle docs :

1 OCPU on x86 CPU Architecture (AMD and Intel) = 2 vCPUs

While it's expected that certain amount of RAM to be reserved, over 300 MB seems excessive. What do you get when running https://github.com/madrisan/linux-iomem/blob/master/iomem.sh ?

About the slow part, you don't actually get the entire OCPU, just 1/8 OCPU, as in, throttled to 12.5%

• ralfralf Member

@alilet said:
    Plus the machine looks very slow.

Aren't the free x86 cores actually 1/4 of a core?