Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 39
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• @donli said:

@epadicom said:
    For illustration only.
    Simple calculate case 1 server with 300 cPanel users
    cPanel Premier for 100 users = $45
    $0.20 x 200 users = $40
    Total for cPanel license have to pay = $85

My Conclusion = Bye... bye... cPanel :)

Tell us what panel you move to.

I moved to DirectAdmin and Plesk

• JDMcPeaJDMcPea Member
    edited July 2019

Looks like my longtime budget shared hosting service will be passing cPanel costs on to customers, just got the following email:

Kindly consider this email as a formal notification of the future modification in Price and Hosting Package structure. These changes are going to implement as our Channel partner (cPanel) has recently forced the price increment with license cost. You may check on this at https://blog.cpanel.com/announcing-account-based-pricing/ as a effect we have been forced to restructure pricing module and hosting package. Our Billing team is working on the new Pricing module and hosting package structure , once we done with the same all of our customer will be notified via email.

I found them on LET about 4 years ago and under $1 a month "unlimited" was great because they also allowed unlimited inodes and my site uses a couple hundred thousand. Hoping the price increase won't be excessive, might be difficult to another reliable shared hosting provider that has all the same features at low cost.

• LeeLee Veteran

epadicom said: I moved to DirectAdmin and Plesk

Why would you move away from cPanel to Plesk when Plesk is owned by the same company? Are you simply hoping they don't do the same thing or change pricing?

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • donlidonli Member

@JDMcPea said:
    Looks like my longtime budget shared hosting service will be passing cPanel costs on to customers, just got the following email:

Which host is that ?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@epadicom said:

@donli said:

@epadicom said:
    For illustration only.
    Simple calculate case 1 server with 300 cPanel users
    cPanel Premier for 100 users = $45
    $0.20 x 200 users = $40
    Total for cPanel license have to pay = $85

My Conclusion = Bye... bye... cPanel :)

Tell us what panel you move to.

I moved to DirectAdmin and Plesk

You are in for a surprise, mate.

• @Lee said:

coolice said: if your company refuse to introduce alternative panel it is lacking innovative vision which make it no so future proof if it relay on "Partner" like cPanel

Utter rubbish.

coolice said: So the new plan is to keep cPanel customers as is to not disturb their business bu I'll not sell any new cPanel plan and will push hard DA

Clearly you lacked any vision up until the point cPanel introduced it's own.

Maybe but not as much as my direct competitors :) ... I came from the webmasters community 14 years ago (2005) when godaddy says our sites are too heavy for $20/mo hosting account and we went managing VPS and later in 2006 we added dedicated server an for the heavy sites we personally own ... Trough the years as we wanted more bang for our buck I tested a lot of things on the servers I manage ...

It was 2013 when our community members start to mass complaint form the 3 biggest companies of a local market (not a big market - biggest one brag that it has 27 x 42U at 2014 -combined hosting VPS and other services) AS they was using Apache + Suphp (only one company was using cloud linux again with suphp) and they charge customers by counting cpu minutes in use and if you are over some limit of cpu minutes you got to upgrade in most cases to vps (which was starts 20x price of the hosting if you cannot manage it yourself)

So I in my "lack of vision" :) I got one decent mid ranger ssd server, pushed cloud linux for flat CPU limiting, FCGID + APC to enable opcode caching :) and Unixy Varnish plugin (which we used for our own projects) in front to additionally reduce the load and offered hosting on similar prices, which maybe stressed that companies upgrade to vps plans :) , later next year we pushed unixy varnish + nginx and LitesSpeed (first company that pushed LS to customers form that local market )

but yes I'll agree with you that since that moment we hardly innovate anything with exception of couple of other acceleration plugins, we just provide more servers to more customers and more locations as some community members needed that + we get some international customers ...

But now it is time :)

Thanked by 2Lee level6
  • @donli said:

@JDMcPea said:

Which host is that ?

They are still listed as a Provider on LET but have not been active since 2017. Since the one occasional issue have had with them is email IP temporarily getting blacklisted don't want to encourage potential spammers to sign up with them by mentioning name on LET.

A very large company but not well known where I am (USA)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

coolice said: But now it is time

And that is fine, I have been providing cPanel for close to 20 years, the panel has not changed, just the pricing. We all have views on that.

Being forced to diversify when you don't really want to is also fine, I am taking Direct Admin on board via a new brand to test the water. Not going to drop cPanel on existing brands though.

The issue with changes like this is that after the outrage subsides, will everyone fall back into line behind cPanel? I am on the fence with that, when the dust really settles we will see what happens.

You are not going to get the unlimited options any more on cPanel, not reliable and sustainable ones at least but did people really really need them? No. Those hosts who continue to offer unrealistic plans are betting on clients not actually using that much or based on their current usage they don't have that many users.

So either way you still get cPanel, a bit more expensive but it is what it is. It really depends on whether cPanel is finished increasing the price. Or at least with the exception of inflationary type increases.

If providers do fall back into line behind cPanel, and that will be because the shine rubs off Direct Admin for clients then they, Direct Admin will in the main be that 'other decent panel that the cheap hosts use to provide unlimited services'. And that's another discussion :)

Thanked by 2coolice bikegremlin
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

@JDMcPea said:

Which host is that ?

They are still listed as a Provider on LET but have not been active since 2017. Since the one occasional issue have had with them is email IP temporarily getting blacklisted don't want to encourage potential spammers to sign up with them by mentioning name on LET.

A very large company but not well known where I am (USA)

"don't want to encourage potential spammers to sign up with them by mentioning name on LET."

OK ?!

Thanked by 2Lee emgh
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@jcaleb said:
    How hard is it to develop an open source clone

What @nem said but also developing the clone would be one thing - making a profit from it is another. Most folks who would be potential customers would be expecting the clone to be relatively bug free and have their required feature set before putting $$$. Meanwhile, developers would be expecting $$$ (being paid) before it is relatively bug free and/or maybe not all features perfected yet. See how the 2 expectations are polar opposites of each other.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

LOL, the thought of creating a open source panel, develop it, bug fix it, then offer it to paying customer is such a laughable idea

Most people don't know how much development cost.

Thanked by 3intovps Hxxx Daniel15
  • For all saying don't use Plesk- its already at per website pricing (except for the largest package). So its not even per account pricing. So the only thing they can do is put limits/reconfigure the unlimited package. Plus you get a bunch of cool tools (WP staging and security etc). Also they have a 3 site free version. So on DO, Vultr, or lightsail you can get a vps w 1 GB plus plesk for 5 bucks a month. Not a bad deal

Thanked by 1aaronstuder
  • @level6 said:

@AndreiGhesi said:
    I knew the cpanel price will increase 18 months ago when I migrated 3 cpanel server into one, from paying 3 cpanel licenses now I pay 1 for the same amount of clients. At that moment I knew a increase will come, and now we have it.

OK if you say so lol. You must be the smartest man or woman on LET!

You seem surprised, but this is logical and common sense and shouldn't come as a surprise at all. I didn't have to take any business or economic classes to know this. Microsoft moved to licensing by cores instead of CPU counts, as did most VM backup companies.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@TinFoil2019 said:
    For all saying don't use Plesk- its already at per website pricing (except for the largest package). So its not even per account pricing. So the only thing they can do is put limits/reconfigure the unlimited package. Plus you get a bunch of cool tools (WP staging and security etc). Also they have a 3 site free version. So on DO, Vultr, or lightsail you can get a vps w 1 GB plus plesk for 5 bucks a month. Not a bad deal

Yeah no thanks.

• At least I know lightsail will be there in 6 months

Thanked by 1emgh

As DA will.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

eva2000 said: What @nem said but also developing the clone would be one thing - making a profit from it is another. Most folks who would be potential customers would be expecting the clone to be relatively bug free and have their required feature set before putting $$$. Meanwhile, developers would be expecting $$$ (being paid) before it is relatively bug free and/or maybe not all features perfected yet. See how the 2 expectations are polar opposites of each other.

what if it's a consortium like how symbian was developed?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Oh my, my favorite host has emailed me now increasing the price of my subscription

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said:

eva2000 said: What @nem said but also developing the clone would be one thing - making a profit from it is another. Most folks who would be potential customers would be expecting the clone to be relatively bug free and have their required feature set before putting $$$. Meanwhile, developers would be expecting $$$ (being paid) before it is relatively bug free and/or maybe not all features perfected yet. See how the 2 expectations are polar opposites of each other.

what if it's a consortium like how symbian was developed?

A dead mobile OS isn't a good example. Even with a consortium the benefits are limited to the vendors that participate in the timeboxed development. There won't be a free product in this market that rivals cPanel. If it were viable, a solution would have already existed. Hosting is pure competition; anyone that can inch out ahead with a custom platform will make their solution proprietary to maximize revenue and increase switching costs with their users that ideally reduces churn.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

@jcaleb said:
    Oh my, my favorite host has emailed me now increasing the price of my subscription

Why can't people just name the host (Buyshared)? This is a trend I'm seeing on LET.

Not a bad increase btw, considering overall value and quality.

• donlidonli Member

@jcaleb said:

What host, what subscription ?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TinFoil2019 said:
    For all saying don't use Plesk- its already at per website pricing (except for the largest package). So its not even per account pricing. So the only thing they can do is put limits/reconfigure the unlimited package. Plus you get a bunch of cool tools (WP staging and security etc). Also they have a 3 site free version. So on DO, Vultr, or lightsail you can get a vps w 1 GB plus plesk for 5 bucks a month. Not a bad deal

Wait for them to remove the unlimited option.

Francisco

Thanked by 3MikePT Foul Lee

@Francisco said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

Wait for them to remove the unlimited option.

Francisco

Dont bother. That guy/gal was banned from WHT. You can guess why. Read about it, the mods there just banned him/her.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

level6 said: Why can't people just name the host (Buyshared)? This is a trend I'm seeing on LET.

Because I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. I understand the price increase.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jcaleb said:

level6 said: Why can't people just name the host (Buyshared)? This is a trend I'm seeing on LET.

Because I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. I understand the price increase.

We'll send an email tomorrow announcing a resource bump as well to make it hurt a little less boss.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • IKIHOSTIKIHOST Member
    edited July 2019

cPanel will force small hosting provider to use other control panel or kill them because some provider remove reseller service

• LeeLee Veteran

WPF said: cPanel will force small hosting provider to use other control panel or kill them because some provider remove reseller service

Drama Level? I give it a 10.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Francisco said: We'll send an email tomorrow announcing a resource bump as well to make it hurt a little less boss.

The only complaint I have with BuyShared, is I can't get similar pricing with other host.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

WPF said: cPanel will force small hosting provider to use other control panel or kill them because some provider remove reseller service

Will Reseller business die soon?

• level6level6 Member

@jcaleb said:

Will Reseller business die soon?

I think the only thing that will kill reseller is easier to manage VPS. VPS is still more work.

Thanked by 2emgh jcaleb