Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 38
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep

@xaoc said:

@donli said:
    And LEB today is promoting a host offering a 200 GB cPanel reseller with unlimited accounts for $ 2.30/month ($63 Triennially). I think there will be a surprise at the end of summer there for many people.

I reckon the host will have a fun time paying the cPanel bill @ the end of their billing period.

Unless of course CC hasn't yet communicated the change to their client. It is another Buffalo offering, after all.

• xaocxaoc Member

@JSCL said:

@xaoc said:

@donli said:
    And LEB today is promoting a host offering a 200 GB cPanel reseller with unlimited accounts for $ 2.30/month ($63 Triennially). I think there will be a surprise at the end of summer there for many people.

I reckon the host will have a fun time paying the cPanel bill @ the end of their billing period.

Unless of course CC hasn't yet communicated the change to their client. It is another Buffalo offering, after all.

"client" heh.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2019

@donli said:

„CHANGE“!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@CVPS_Chris you need to get on this ASAP.

Francisco

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith jvnadr
  • LeeLee Veteran

Francisco said: @CVPS_Chris you need to get on this ASAP

lol.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@donli said:

@teamacc ch ch chu chaaaange

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @Francisco is this cPanel licensing affect your Offloaded SQL service? i had service until 2020. this service make easier when reinstall vm or order another vm at buyvm.

actually i dont need cPanel interface, i just want sql work even only with bootstrap interface etc.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2019

@andiklive said:
    @Francisco is this cPanel licensing affect your Offloaded SQL service? i had service until 2020. this service make easier when reinstall vm or order another vm at buyvm.

actually i dont need cPanel interface, i just want sql work even only with bootstrap interface etc.

We'll likely just tell everyone to move to BuyShared. It's NVME based and actually maintained.

We'll roll out BuyShared in NY to help with this, that way our NY customers don't get left with 80ms ping.

Francisco

• donli said: And LEB today is promoting a host offering a 200 GB cPanel reseller with unlimited accounts for $ 2.30/month ($63 Triennially). I think there will be a surprise at the end of summer there for many people.

Not just CC or LEB hosts, I was just browsing cPanel partner directory on their site and found out most of them still offering unlimited cpanel account reseller. God knows if they've been intimated by cpanel about price increase and the extra $xxxx license cost they'll have to pay in coming months! Only a few selected host has written a blog post that they'll be reviewing their prices in coming months. Rest are still happy to sell 'unlimited' everything! (mostly Asian web hosts included)

• evnixevnix Member

I am not a hosting provider, The way I see it, It takes a lot of effort to bring in a customer and cPanel wants to have a share of that.
    Imagine if Apache started charging cPanel for all the people using their software.
    I have worked as a developer for quite a few big enterprises and the one thing that the big boys avoid like cancer is any software/library that charges X% of your revenue or even more stupid is to base it on the number of your end users.
    It feels like having to pay a monthly amount for your Fridge based on the number of people in the house.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • donlidonli Member

@evnix said:
    I am not a hosting provider, The way I see it, It takes a lot of effort to bring in a customer and cPanel wants to have a share of that.
    Imagine if Apache started charging cPanel for all the people using their software.
    I have worked as a developer for quite a few big enterprises and the one thing that the big boys avoid like cancer is any software/library that charges X% of your revenue or even more stupid is to base it on the number of your end users.
    It feels like having to pay a monthly amount for your Fridge based on the number of people in the house.

cPanel was charging per server but as servers become more powerful hosting companies can fit more customers on each server thus ultimately requiring less licenses. The per-user licensing makes their revenue relatively immune from this trend.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

...Cyberpanel

• @donli said:

Buy one and create 1.000 accounts, just for fun :) . To see their reaction when will have that bill

• @lovelyserver said:

@donli said:

Buy one and create 1.000 accounts, just for fun :) . To see their reaction when will have that bill

Provider should have some sort of automated monitoring/alerting for such use - and, with the new cPanel pricing, something within the TOS to limit it as well.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Some don't change until it's right there up their nose.

Thanked by 2Sofia_K emgh
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

@bikegremlin said:
    Provider should have some sort of automated monitoring/alerting for such use - and, with the new cPanel pricing, something within the TOS to limit it as well.

Or better yet, set hard limit on the number of cPanels.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@level6 said:

@bikegremlin said:

Or better yet, set hard limit on the number of cPanels.

I believe they have some packages that enable NOC partners to have hard limits on their customers.

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

I have some servers from them, but moving from there coz of the horrible support ...... and the panel, even that they have very cool webserver configs (nginx + varnish with RAM caching+ apache), also, the panel never seems to be stable ..... after long long time, still full of tons of bugs, a pity ... :(

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Originally Posted by Patrick
    If anyone is considering CyberPanel, I would highly recommend not using it until further notice...

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770316&p=10158705#post10158705

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Ok, well I have just finished 1 server migration to DirectAdmin.... mixture of shared and reseller accounts...

Everything went through quite well. A few sites had their database names and usernames changed.... but no big issue....

The server actually seems to be running better and websites quicker.....

I am starting to get use to DirectAdmin.... and I must say it seems pretty good. It’s a shame that PSM don’t support it yet....

I am looking forward to using JetBackup / Acronis

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • xaocxaoc Member

@experttechit said:
    A few sites had their database names and usernames changed.... but no big issue....

This seems like it would be an issue, especially for not so "tech friendly" site owners. @DA_Mark you might want to look into this(if it's DA related ofc).

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@experttechit said:
    Ok, well I have just finished 1 server migration to DirectAdmin.... mixture of shared and reseller accounts...

Everything went through quite well. A few sites had their database names and usernames changed.... but no big issue....

The server actually seems to be running better and websites quicker.....

I am starting to get use to DirectAdmin.... and I must say it seems pretty good. It’s a shame that PSM don’t support it yet....

I am looking forward to using JetBackup / Acronis

I agree the max lenght should be changed. I did it manually.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

How hard is it to develop an open source clone

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said:

Based upon the survey of free, open-source panels that have more holes than a game of whackamole pretty hard. Building a panel takes tremendous coordination of integrating disparate services and putting an interface on top of it. On top of that hosting being as it is, any company that starts to run with a panel that works will invariably fork and keep it proprietary halting any further development by the core. Any good dev that's putting 60-80 hours a week into such a project needs to eat. Free doesn't begin to pay the bill and it ends up as hobby code.

• AndreiGhesiAndreiGhesi Member
    edited July 2019

I knew the cpanel price will increase 18 months ago when I migrated 3 cpanel server into one, from paying 3 cpanel licenses now I pay 1 for the same amount of clients. At that moment I knew a increase will come, and now we have it.

What stops DA to use the same model of licensing in 18 months when a lot of people will migrate to their control panel. Nothing. So think with your head, everybody is in this bussines to make money, not to be a charity.

If your clients can't afford a $0.10/0.20 price increase per month you have a problem.

Just my2c.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

@AndreiGhesi said:
    I knew the cpanel price will increase 18 months ago when I migrated 3 cpanel server into one, from paying 3 cpanel licenses now I pay 1 for the same amount of clients. At that moment I knew a increase will come, and now we have it.

OK if you say so lol. You must be the smartest man or woman on LET!

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

AndreiGhesi said: What stops DA to use the same model of licensing in 18 months when a lot of people will migrate to their control panel. Nothing. So think with your head, everybody is in this bussines to make money, not to be a charity.

I think you're missing the wider picture.

cPanel only introduced this after Oakley bought in, although Nick (cPanel) himself appears to be in agreement with it but needed the bollocks of someone like Oakley to do it for him as he lacked his own. Perhaps he simply wanted some insurance in case this course of action went bad.

Of course, Direct Admin could do the same we will never know despite any assurances they offer. Having said that, whilst Direct Admin will grow from this event, what they offer is very different and it's years away from being the cPanel we see today that could justify a similar pricing structure. Time will tell.

So, have you considered that what cPanel has introduced is not actually the final step in their pricing roadmap?

They would have assessed the impact of this change, knew the backlash coming and expected to lose customers. But, are they actually finished? Or was this only the first step towards a final pricing structure that they are implementing in stages to take the 'edge' of it for clients?

At this moment in time it is fair to say you should be more worried about what cPanel is still planning, not what Direct Admin may do, I know I am. I wish it was as simple as migrating 3 servers into one as you have.

AndreiGhesi said: If your clients can't afford a $0.10/0.20 price increase per month you have a problem.

Which is short-sighted, sure it's easy to reference it as only $0.10 or $0.20 per month, for a single client that should not be an issue, try telling a client that it is 'only' another $20 per month based on their usage...

Then if you have them this time next year tell them again that cPanel has increased the cost by another $0.10 per user. I can almost guarantee you that Oakley will want pricing to keep up with inflation.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@AndreiGhesi said:

What stops DA to use the same model of licensing in 18 months when a lot of people will migrate to their control panel. Nothing. So think with your head, everybody is in this bussines to make money, not to be a charity.

They have once of life opportunity to challenge cPanel for the leader place without changing anything in their price model which is similar to old cPanel ones - that maybe will take them an decade as they start from very low base of let say ~1% market share... If in 18 months they reach 15 market share and decide to go for new cPanel price model and just extractmore money from their market, they will get the money as they had 25% share for example that will screw their chances for the leader spot and also disappoint their current user base which keep them alive for 15 years ...

Also you can keep in mind that in the last 15 years (including now) all bough licenses came price stability guarantee so what you pay for active licenses you will continue to pay it ...

If your clients can't afford a $0.10/0.20 price increase per month you have a problem.

Just my2c.

After the news for the price increase additional plan was to keep the cPanel service and to introduce DA plans positive initiative to order that one over the cPanel ...

BUT cPanel like to treat the small companies as piece of sh1t and they prove it yesterday when they changed silently their partners license program requirements from 750 to 4000 accoutns https://cpanel.net/pricing/ (it was 750 about couple a days ago when I last checked that)

Which for company that keep most of it's premium servers under 100 accounts and do not offer reseller mean 40 full servers ...

So the new plan is to keep cPanel customers as is to not disturb their business bu I'll not sell any new cPanel plan and will push hard DA

So my 2c will be if your company refuse to introduce alternative panel it is lacking innovative vision :) which make it no so future proof if it relay on "Partner" like cPanel

• LeeLee Veteran

coolice said: if your company refuse to introduce alternative panel it is lacking innovative vision which make it no so future proof if it relay on "Partner" like cPanel

Utter rubbish.

coolice said: So the new plan is to keep cPanel customers as is to not disturb their business bu I'll not sell any new cPanel plan and will push hard DA

Clearly you lacked any vision up until the point cPanel introduced it's own.

Thanked by 1AndreiGhesi
  • JoseQJoseQ Member

@jcaleb said:

It's very hard, but not impossible. It just takes someone willing to take on A LOT of work for no compensation other than the reward of knowing they built a widely used piece of software. Without a slew of developers on board, it's bound to cause a lot of problems during the early phases until security issues are ironed out.

There are a lot of panels out there, free and paid. Many (most?) have security issues discovered constantly.

It's also a chicken and the egg problem. Why put all this work into a software that very few people use, and why would a lot of people use a piece of software while it's being developed?

The best bet for this to actually work would be for an existing panel that has had a decent amount of life, to fork out an opensource version and let the opensource community develop it further.

Thanked by 1jcaleb