Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 35
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@kp93 said:

@mikho said:
    One thing I’ve lernt from this is that I will update the price for my 128mb vps to $1/quarter!!

Paid annually plus VAT if you are European.

So your shared hosting will be continued ???

No.
    My decision stand. Shared Hosting will be discontinued on Sept 1st.

Thanked by 1kp93
  • @yokowasis it is an extension for yearly licenses not for monthly. So hostmantis would only benefit if they actually purchased yearly licenses

• @TinFoil2019 said:
    @yokowasis it is an extension for yearly licenses not for monthly. So hostmantis would only benefit if they actually purchased yearly licenses

We do not.

• @HostMantis So you sold multi year resellers and are paying cpanel month to month?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Of course, he would. Lowend hosts don't have the capitals to pay for yearly licenses.

• donlidonli Member

@deank said:
    Of course, he would. Lowend hosts don't have the capitals to pay for yearly licenses.

Things in the computer field are suppose to get cheaper every month not 600% more expensive.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Did i read incorrectly in the updated announcement but existing WHMCS license partner users are getting a raw deal compared to web hosts who currently don't use WHMCS who get free 12 month license to get their web hosting operations up to speed on the new billing ? Isn't that like another kick in the face to existing partners - allowing more competition in the form of new partners who don't have to pay for their WHMCS licenses for 12 months ?

Really sad to see cPanel end up in this situation and I feel for cPanel staff they probably didn't have much say as directive was up in Oakley management ?? Reminds me of Internet Brands acquiring vBulletin and pricing changes > vB4 and vB5 mess which vB staff had no say in the matter but vB staff bore the full force of customer anger and frustration!

Thanked by 1intovps
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@donli said:
    Things in the computer field are suppose to get cheaper every month not 600% more expensive.

Investors don't tend to have common sense.

• level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

@donli said:

@deank said:

Exactly. This was unexpected, and can be characterized as price gouging. Overall , good news for DA and the rest of the competition. Few like to partner with scorpions🦂.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

Predictable reply!

Sounds like you like to work for free!

I have bunch of projects I would like you to work on. How can I contact you?

Lee said: Predictable reply! Don't buy the updates if you don't want to, yeah...

Like I said, not saying I disagree with their reasons but lets not dress it up like they didn't just take something away that is now provided at additional cost compared to a week ago.

• @TinFoil2019 said:
    @HostMantis So you sold multi year resellers and are paying cpanel month to month?

Yes. Don't see how that is uncommon.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • cmpecmpe Member

What's even dumber at this point is providers that are using this as an excuse to make other changes than just covering for the cost of this cpanel change.

• donlidonli Member

@eva2000 said:
    Did i read incorrectly in the updated announcement but existing WHMCS license partner users are getting a raw deal compared to web hosts who currently don't use WHMCS who get free 12 month license to get their web hosting operations up to speed on the new billing ? Isn't that like another kick in the face to existing partners - allowing more competition in the form of new partners who don't have to pay for their WHMCS licenses for 12 months ?

Well it seems more of a way to get people hooked on WHMCS...

WHMCS Automates Billing for New Licensing Model

If you are an existing WHMCS customer, we will only make the new cPanel & WHM hosting pricing model effective once the new WHMCS functionality is available to support the new pricing model. You will continue to be charged at the current pricing rate until 30 days after the release of this new functionality.

If you are not yet a WHMCS customer, and the billing functionality would help your business implement the new cPanel & WHM hosting pricing model, we are providing up to 12 months of no cost WHMCS licensing to our Partners. Please contact your Account Manager for details.

• LeeLee Veteran

cmpe said: What's even dumber at this point is providers that are using this as an excuse to make other changes than just covering for the cost of this cpanel change.

Some providers are many using this opportunity to get out of that unsustainable hole they are trapped in, makes sense. You don't need to renew.

• cmpecmpe Member

@Lee said:

cmpe said: What's even dumber at this point is providers that are using this as an excuse to make other changes than just covering for the cost of this cpanel change.

Some providers are many using this opportunity to get out of that unsustainable hole they are trapped in, makes sense. You don't need to renew.

You are right and I won't. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. Welcome to the hosting industry, I guess.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • donlidonli Member

@Lee said:

This is the Low End Webhosting Industry Shake Out.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • I hope now hosts will lock in their other vendors to contracts longer than 30 days. Kernel care, litespeed, cloudlinux; if you are on monthly you are at their whim for a change in price. Same with the supplier of your server and/or colo. Might want to start to lock down and prepay, buy lifetime (when prudent) for as many of your variable expenses.

• donlidonli Member

@TinFoil2019 said:
    I hope now hosts will lock in their other vendors to contracts longer than 30 days. Kernel care, litespeed, cloudlinux; if you are on monthly you are at their whim for a change in price. Same with the supplier of your server and/or colo. Might want to start to lock down and prepay, buy lifetime (when prudent) for as many of your variable expenses.

Or, just stop selling hosting for anything other than monthly terms.

Thanked by 2TinFoil2019 lazyt
  • @HostMantis said:

@TinFoil2019 said:
    @HostMantis So you sold multi year resellers and are paying cpanel month to month?

Yes. Don't see how that is uncommon.

It's not. You seem to be under fire the past few days by guys who want something for nothing boy, what a feeling. These guys shop the internet for $3 a year hosting a then have the audacity to ask hosts to pay yearly for services.

• emghemgh Member

@cmpe said:
    What's even dumber at this point is providers that are using this as an excuse to make other changes than just covering for the cost of this cpanel change.

Look at my post history. I got Hostmantis to say that the price increase wasn't really about cPanel.

@Lee said:

Migrating can still be annoying though. If marked as recurring it should be recurring, and if licence inreases happends that should be on the provider. If the provider is lowend and doesn't have the capital, I would say it's fair that the increases + payment fees gets added to the end clients, nothing more.

• Well if you sell it for a year you have to provide it for a year- noone really cares if costs go up due to lack of proper planning

• JorboxJorbox Member

@TinFoil2019 said:
    Well if you sell it for a year you have to provide it for a year- noone really cares if costs go up due to lack of proper planning

What planning?
    Did you know before us that cPanel will increase the prices?

Thanked by 1HostMantis
  • Any item not under contract is capable of having its price changed. hence a contract to assure pricing.

• LeeLee Veteran

emgh said: If marked as recurring it should be recurring, and if licence inreases happends that should be on the provider. If the provider is lowend and doesn't have the capital, I would say it's fair that the increases + payment fees gets added to the end clients, nothing more.

I agree but you know better than anyone that the rules are defined and re-defined on LET when something like this happens. Providers in this segment don't work by the rules of sensibility.

Thanked by 2emgh lazyt
  • @TinFoil2019 said:
    Well if you sell it for a year you have to provide it for a year- noone really cares if costs go up due to lack of proper planning

you my friend are lack of proper planning

@Jorbox said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

What planning?

Exactly. But @HostMantis increases were very steep.... He should have expected the blow back.

• donlidonli Member

@TinFoil2019 said:
    Any item not under contract is capable of having its price changed. hence a contract to assure pricing.

And "recurring" may turn out not to be.

• @donli yep, I am sure many companies are going to breach their promise on their longer hosting packages. It's not right for the host to do that, but they will have to live with their choice and the repercussion of not sticking to their word

• JorboxJorbox Member

@Tyler91 said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

@Jorbox said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

What planning?

Exactly. But @HostMantis increases were very steep.... He should have expected the blow back.

No one expected that even buycpanel biggest cpanel partner

• donlidonli Member

@Jorbox said:

No one expected that even buycpanel biggest cpanel partner

I think it says a lot that they had to find out about the change from a customer. "Partner" indeed.

• @Tyler91 said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

@Jorbox said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

What planning?

We expected the blow back from the cPanel increase, so there was going to be a blow back regardless of the manner of any increase or change of rates. Which is why we made the decision to make the changes when we did.

We completely understand the low end crowd being pissed off by our decision, but we want to be here tomorrow to continue offering great service and we can't do that while doing this constant "race to the bottom" that's been going on.

We're sticking with cPanel and are going to continue providing the same great service.

If other providers here choose to move to DirectAdmin or other alternative panels and continue appealing to the low end crowd, they are welcome to do so, but we won't be going that route.