Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 36
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

cmpe said: What's even dumber at this point is providers that are using this as an excuse to make other changes than just covering for the cost of this cpanel change.

Well I made an increase that was more than just the additional cost, because I firmly believe that cPanel are going to start putting prices up year on year with no notice,

i.e. I cannot pin any hopes on a stable license price even when paying annually as I do any more so i need to add some protection in to the cost.

So selling at the new price allows me to be confident I will not have to boost customer prices again in 6 - 12 - 18 or even 24 months hopefully even if cpanel do.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

@Tyler91 said:

@TinFoil2019 said:
    Well if you sell it for a year you have to provide it for a year- noone really cares if costs go up due to lack of proper planning

you my friend are lack of proper planning

@Jorbox said:

@TinFoil2019 said:
    Well if you sell it for a year you have to provide it for a year- noone really cares if costs go up due to lack of proper planning

What planning?
    Did you know before us that cPanel will increase the prices?

Exactly. But @HostMantis increases were very steep.... He should have expected the blow back.

We expected the blow back from the cPanel increase, so there was going to be a blow back regardless of the manner of any increase or change of rates. Which is why we made the decision to make the changes when we did.

We completely understand the low end crowd being pissed off by our decision, but we want to be here tomorrow to continue offering great service and we can't do that while doing this constant "race to the bottom" that's been going on.

We're sticking with cPanel and are going to continue providing the same great service.

If other providers here choose to move to DirectAdmin or other alternative panels and continue appealing to the low end crowd, they are welcome to do so, but we won't be going that route.

I think few people here were criticizing the general direction you were headed. It's more like the fact that "recurring" contracts seem to actually be not "recurring". That is to say if you had honored old recurring contracts and applied changes to your new customers only I believe few would have complained. But you know that, don't you? ;)

That being said my contracts run for another 9ish months so time will tell.

I suggest you design your BF etc deals to be sustainable to the extent they will actually be "recurring".

Edit: Whatever draft about ispconfig was initially included in this post, just ignore lol. Was saved in draft..

Thanked by 1Jorbox
  • emghemgh Member

@HostMantis said:

@Tyler91 said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

@Jorbox said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

What planning?

Exactly. But @HostMantis increases were very steep.... He should have expected the blow back.

We expected the blow back from the cPanel increase, so there was going to be a blow back regardless of the manner of any increase or change of rates. Which is why we made the decision to make the changes when we did.

We completely understand the low end crowd being pissed off by our decision, but we want to be here tomorrow to continue offering great service and we can't do that while doing this constant "race to the bottom" that's been going on.

We're sticking with cPanel and are going to continue providing the same great service.

If other providers here choose to move to DirectAdmin or other alternative panels and continue appealing to the low end crowd, they are welcome to do so, but we won't be going that route.

You're like a bad partner. You already admitted this wasn't because of cPanel. And the race to the bottom has been going on for a long time. Many providers, including but not limited to @Mic-hael and @Francisco for example has handeled it for way longer than you have.

You still seem to feel like the race to the bottom is the markets fault and that you're simply an offer to the market, well you're not. You can choose not to participate. You did now, but it's too late, because you already sold recurring packages. Hostmantis sucks.

• emghemgh Member

@AnthonySmith said:

cmpe said: What's even dumber at this point is providers that are using this as an excuse to make other changes than just covering for the cost of this cpanel change.

Well I made an increase that was more than just the additional cost, because I firmly believe that cPanel are going to start putting prices up year on year with no notice,

i.e. I cannot pin any hopes on a stable license price even when paying annually as I do any more so i need to add some protection in to the cost.

So selling at the new price allows me to be confident I will not have to boost customer prices again in 6 - 12 - 18 or even 24 months hopefully even if cpanel do.

I just checked your pricing and it's not even close to the increase of Hostmantis still.

• @emgh said:

@HostMantis said:

@Tyler91 said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

@Jorbox said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

What planning?

You're like a bad partner. You already admitted this wasn't because of cPanel. And the race to the bottom has been going on for a long time. Many providers, including but not limited to @Mic-hael and @Francisco for example has handeled it for way longer than you have.

You still seem to feel like the race to the bottom is the markets fault and that you're simply an offer to the market, well you're not. You can choose not to participate. You did now, but it's too late, because you already sold recurring packages. Hostmantis sucks.

We had been in this race to the bottom for the last 10 years, so we're certainly not new to it. We simply decided it was time to change our business structure and become profitable (something most businesses strive for).

It will be an unpopular decision (especially here on LET), but it was a decision we needed to make to move forward.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

A week later, I just... Can't get into Direct Admin at all, too much of a cPanel mindset. Every time I look for something I think should be there, oh fuck DA says no...

Thanked by 1Jorbox
  • @lee but, but ,but they are the great hope to rescue the hosting industry. 5 yr retail price goes from 299 to 695 and people embrace it! All hail the savior

Thanked by 1Lee
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:
    A week later, I just... Can't get into Direct Admin at all, too much of a cPanel mindset. Every time I look for something I think should be there, oh fuck DA says no...

Add your guff's to the DA thread and i'm sure @DA_Mark will at least consider it.

Francisco

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2019

@HostMantis said:

@emgh said:

@HostMantis said:

@Tyler91 said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

@Jorbox said:

@TinFoil2019 said:

What planning?

We had been in this race to the bottom for the last 10 years, so we're certainly not new to it. We simply decided it was time to change our business structure and become profitable (something most businesses strive for).

It will be an unpopular decision (especially here on LET), but it was a decision we needed to make to move forward.

Well I have never heard of your company until recently, and I'm very active in the hosting community, especially web hosting and especially the low end market. The issue is, you can't just decide to change everything for current clients when marketing the price as recurring. I think I've been a client for like 1-2 months and price went up like 400% while it was marketed as recurring. That's not okay anywhere, no matter if you choose to be profitable or not. You should have thought of that BEFORE posting 80off deals, not AFTER. I have to spend lots of time migrating shit out, what did I do wrong you might ask? Trust your company. Never again.

I also hope that the community will remember this. Around 400% in price increases while on a recurring plan just a few months in. It can happen anytime. Never trust Hostmantis.

Thanked by 1SashkaPro
  • donlidonli Member

@Francisco said:

@Lee said:

Add your guff's to the DA thread and i'm sure @DA_Mark will at least consider it.

Francisco

Looks like all your shared hosting is out of stock in Las Vegas at the moment. You should consider offering some in New Yawk.

• LeeLee Veteran

Francisco said: Add your guff's to the DA thread and i'm sure @DA_Mark will at least consider it.

I am fairly sure he knows, not kicking DA, just that cPanel mindset, you realise how well off you were. I am getting there slowly.. It will be a couple of months I suspect before I could offer anything on DA.

• JorboxJorbox Member
    edited July 2019

@Lee said:

We will always search for cPanel standards in every other panel and thats impossible,
    I think you need to try CyperPanel becuse its very close to cpanel, and guess what its FREE.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@donli said:

@Francisco said:

@Lee said:

Francisco

Looks like all your shared hosting is out of stock in Las Vegas at the moment. You should consider offering some in New Yawk.

'ey i'm hostin' heyah.

Francisco

Thanked by 2MichaelCee Harambe
  • donlidonli Member

@Francisco said:

@donli said:

@Francisco said:

@Lee said:

Francisco

'ey i'm hostin' heyah.

• LeeLee Veteran

Jorbox said: I think you need to try CyperPanel becuse its very close to cpanel, and guess what its FREE.

I am sure it is good but I wouldn't charge customers for a free panel and I need to charge them :)

Diversifying is important right now with cPanel shit going on, I need to bet on what is most likely to be popular and well supported by the company and 3rd parties. Right now that is DA.

• emghemgh Member

Also remember what Hostmantis wrote on WHT in the beginning of this: "Please keep in mind, this is not simply us making a money grab. This is us trying to stay alive after cPanel's poor decision. Had cPanel not made this poor decision, there would be no need for us to make these changes."

That is, in a shorter version: "If cPanel didn't higher our prices by 2.4 dollars per account we wouln't higher you plan from $67.78 to $169.46. It's cPanels fault. Blame them."

Thanked by 3eva2000 cece maverickp
  • LeeLee Veteran

emgh said: Also remember what Hostmantis wrote on WHT in the beginning of this

I am just throwing out a wild guess here that you are not happy with HostMantis, correct me if I am wrong though.

Thanked by 3emgh MichaelCee iKeyZ
  • This isn't really a DA sales thread. Definitely let us know your feedback, but of DA is not for everyone. And if you purchased a retail license and end up hating it, I'll make sure you get your funds back.

Aside from that, please be respectful and stay on topic folks. I'm also interested in hearing when Fran will have new stock.

• JorboxJorbox Member

@Lee said:

Jorbox said: I think you need to try CyperPanel becuse its very close to cpanel, and guess what its FREE.

I am sure it is good but I wouldn't charge customers for a free panel and I need to charge them :)

Diversifying is important right now with cPanel shit going on, I need to bet on what is most likely to be popular and well supported by the company and 3rd parties. Right now that is DA.

You can charge them for the service itself, the servers, security, support, etc

• emghemgh Member

@Lee said:

emgh said: Also remember what Hostmantis wrote on WHT in the beginning of this

I am just throwing out a wild guess here that you are not happy with HostMantis, correct me if I am wrong though.

Lol, in all honestly services were good. Just super shady practices. If I wanted this might as well have gone with Hostgator, might not haven gotten the same performance though. But you do get the point.

I like this community and I'll be supporting companies spending resources making it a better place.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

DA_Mark said: I'm also interested in hearing when Fran will have new stock.

Never has any in LU, I don't really care, his service is shit anyway. Everyone says it, behind his back.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • emghemgh Member

Serverhunter & buyvmstock.com - just in case you didn't already know. Serverhunter has Discord notifications.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • emghemgh Member

@Lee said:

Never has any in LU, I don't really care, his service is shit anyway. Everyone says it, behind his backtowel.

Explain why please?

@Lee said:

Never has any in LU, I don't really care, his service is shit anyway. Everyone says it, behind his back.

Thanks for the love boss :P

Francisco

Thanked by 1Lee
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@Lee said:
    I don't really care, his service is shit anyway. Everyone says it, behind his back.

I told you to keep our conversation private! Damn!

Thanked by 1Lee
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I don't generally complain when I dislike products. Other than saying "The end is nigh" of course. Then I simply vote with my wallet.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @emgh said:

Serverhunter & buyvmstock.com - just in case you didn't already know. Serverhunter has Discord notifications.

Thanks. Not in a particular rush.. waiting first to see this new "extra" he's coming out with, to see if I give a woot. Hosting is a tough business and everyone wants to be the Alpha. Racks of servers are at Fran's disposal so he certainly has the clout to add something new and exciting.

Thanked by 3emgh AC_Fan riot
  • LeeLee Veteran

Amitz said: I told you to keep our conversation private! Damn!

Sorry, that's your BuyVM slice added back into available stock.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • emghemgh Member

@DA_Mark said:

@emgh said:

Thanks. Not in a particular rush.. waiting first to see this new "extra" he's coming out with, to see if I give a woot. Hosting is a tough business and everyone wants to be the Alpha. Racks of servers are at Fran's disposal so he certainly has the clout to add something new and exciting.

Doesn't matter if you use these sites or not. With BuyVM, you can't be in a rush.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • When the majority of the past weeks DA work schedule has been devoted to Mark learning all of the past memes and dramas of LET :wink: