Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 33
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

/s

Thanked by 2emgh HostXNow
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@kp93 said:

@mpkossen said:
    So, which companies offer Shared Hosting using Direct Admin right now? Haven't seen a whole lot of movement yet these past few days and I'd be happy to give DA a try.

I have 4 months old Direct Admin shared account with @LiteServer , running smoothly no issue at all .

contact them, they provide DA reseller also.

Well I have never saw them advertising for DA Shared hosting, I have one Managed DA VPS with them so casually asked if they provide a shared one, and I got one from them.

Remaining shared cPanel hosting I have from, very satisfied with them

@HostMantis ( Singapore)
    @hostloving ( Ramnode NL )
    @Francisco ( Luxembourg)
    @mikho ( NL)

sadly, I just sent out an email that I will stop offering shared hosting on Sept 1st.
    Working close on the margins, this would bring me over the edge and as much as I regret it, the survival of the company is the most important.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ^ lol'd :smiley:

One day, who knows.. :smiley:

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@mikho how about DA?

Francisco

@Francisco said:
    @mikho how about DA?

Francisco

someday but not today, I have other plans/projects and "learning" a new control panel was not one of them.

As I do this on the side from a 8-20 type of job, it was to much to handle at this point, something had to go.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @mikho said:

@kp93 said:

@mpkossen said:
    So, which companies offer Shared Hosting using Direct Admin right now? Haven't seen a whole lot of movement yet these past few days and I'd be happy to give DA a try.

I have 4 months old Direct Admin shared account with @LiteServer , running smoothly no issue at all .

Well I have never saw them advertising for DA Shared hosting, I have one Managed DA VPS with them so casually asked if they provide a shared one, and I got one from them.

@HostMantis ( Singapore)
    @Francisco ( Luxembourg)
    @mikho ( NL)

sadly, I just sent out an email that I will stop offering shared hosting on Sept 1st.
    Working close on the margins, this would bring me over the edge and as much as I regret it, the survival of the company is the most important.

Extremely sorry to hear that! Shame it had to come to this thanks to cPanel's actions.

• LeeLee Veteran

mpkossen said: Extremely sorry to hear that! Shame it had to come to this thanks to cPanel's actions.

Get back to work.

• xaocxaoc Member

@Lee said:

mpkossen said: Extremely sorry to hear that! Shame it had to come to this thanks to cPanel's actions.

Get back to work sleep.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@mikho said:

@kp93 said:

@mpkossen said:

@HostMantis ( Singapore)
    @Francisco ( Luxembourg)
    @mikho ( NL)

If you need some help (for instance a migration to DirectAdmin) to continue your business please let us know, we might be able to help you.

Thanked by 2kp93 mikho
  • Just in case you guys want to play around and get end user feelings for DA, I have been running pretty decent DA setup for last 1 year now.

It’s completely free to signup :)

Shameless plug : servedez.com

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

You dont have to pay it if you dont want to.

Price raise is when you are forced to pay the new price.

@Lee said:

lonea said: Stop spreading fake news bro.

They didn't change the price.

Umm, yes they did.

A few days ago their lifetime licence was $299 with patches/upgrades forever. Now it is $299 plus $99 every year.

Now reasons aside that is a price change in my view.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Summerhosting ruined.

Feck CPanel. Well, at least I like the drama.

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2019

@deank said:
    Summerhosting ruined.

Feck CPanel. Well, at least I like the drama.

The Hostmantis threads were actually addictive. Really sad that they got locked. I was having a really good time.

Thanked by 2donli Sofia_K
  • donlidonli Member

@deank said:
    Isn't it kinda sad that single software dominates a whole industry this much.

That's what Linus thought.

• What happen to people that got life time cpanel license?

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@yokowasis said:
    What happen to people that got life time cpanel license?

Some of them have died in the mean time.

• They have a lifetime to post on these sites and avoid submitting a ticket to get an answer

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

seriesn said: It’s completely free to signup

@seriesn ,It asks for using a domain name. What if I want to use free-subdomain offered by the host? Also the shopping-cart pre-selects paypal. So if the plan is $0 how to proceed the checkout?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

lonea said: You dont have to pay it if you dont want to.

Price raise is when you are forced to pay the new price.

Predictable reply! Don't buy the updates if you don't want to, yeah...

1. If you want updates you need to pay more than before.
    2. If you don't want to pay more you get less value than before.

More money or less value? Pick one.

Like I said, not saying I disagree with their reasons but lets not dress it up like they didn't just take something away that is now provided at additional cost compared to a week ago.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • cdrivecdrive Member

while not wanting to derail the thread, but in my opinion, minimally security updates/ patches shall be included as part of the life-time license, for free. if there are any upgrades of applications, that can be included in their optional support & updates package though.

• Hi everyone,
    This is what happens when an 'investor' invests in a tech company. Drooling over profit and money margins just looking at the large user base, they have no interest in customers' interests most often. This has been happening for years now...BurstNet, BlueHost, HostGator and many many others. Oakley Capital - which acquired Cpanel, had also acquired Plesk in 2017 - the two most widely used control panels. So it is obviously looking at forcing people to pay money or get lost. Investors usually don't like clutter - small amounts coming from large volumes - they like what they call the "creamy layer". They are not passionate toward technology or services. They like the smell of money. They are not caring. They tend to cut corners and squeeze expenses. So be ready to face some harsh future as far as Cpanel is concerned and be ready to prepare switching plans.

The bright side is, other controls panels will get an impetus and might turn out to be equal, if not better, to Cpanel in features. Given that they are paid even small amounts to proceed with the development of their products. Taking a cue from one the messages above, no one with a 100 servers serving 1000 accounts would bother to look at another CP if they just have to pay $1500 per month. But considering to have to pay $20,000 per month for the same volume, it would make sense to pay $20,000-$30,000 once and get own CP developed.

I foresee some troubled years for the hosting companies be it small or large. Be brave and chalk-out plans.

Just my two cents from the first post! Have been a reader all this while...:)

Best wishes,
    Inderjeet

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • emghemgh Member

@swexpert said:
    Hi everyone,
    This is what happens when an 'investor' invests in a tech company. Drooling over profit and money margins just looking at the large user base, they have no interest in customers' interests most often. This has been happening for years now...BurstNet, BlueHost, HostGator and many many others. Oakley Capital - which acquired Cpanel, had also acquired Plesk in 2017 - the two most widely used control panels. So it is obviously looking at forcing people to pay money or get lost. Investors usually don't like clutter - small amounts coming from large volumes - they like what they call the "creamy layer". They are not passionate toward technology or services. They like the smell of money. They are not caring. They tend to cut corners and squeeze expenses. So be ready to face some harsh future as far as Cpanel is concerned and be ready to prepare switching plans.

The bright side is, other controls panels will get an impetus and might turn out to be equal, if not better, to Cpanel in features. Given that they are paid even small amounts to proceed with the development of their products. Taking a cue from one the messages above, no one with a 100 servers serving 1000 accounts would bother to look at another CP if they just have to pay $1500 per month. But considering to have to pay $20,000 per month for the same volume, it would make sense to pay $20,000-$30,000 once and get own CP developed.

I foresee some troubled years for the hosting companies be it small or large. Be brave and chalk-out plans.

Just my two cents from the first post! Have been a reader all this while...:)

Best wishes,
    Inderjeet

Many people like Hostgator and Bluehost though. It's just that we don't, but we aren't even 1% of the hosting industry, and that's why them and GoDaddy remain the kings. It's enough for many and they do tons of marketing.

Also, I think this will be the time for many here concluding that web hosting isn't always much easier than a VPS and will go for a VPS instead. I will switch from Hostmantis for example, and I am still debating as to where to go but I'm thinking VPS and I'm thinking Hetzner.

• @Sofia_K said:

seriesn said: It’s completely free to signup

@seriesn ,It asks for using a domain name. What if I want to use free-subdomain offered by the host? Also the shopping-cart pre-selects paypal. So if the plan is $0 how to proceed the checkout?

Not a big fan of subdomain. Strongly encourage .tk/.ml tld for those who don’t want to spend money on a domain.

As for the auto select, it is just how I have things setup on the backend. System won’t actually redirect you to paypal. What is free today, will continue to remain free tomorrow :)

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • LeeLee Veteran

seriesn said: Shameless plug : servedez.com

That is a weird name even for you!

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @Lee said:

seriesn said: Shameless plug : servedez.com

That is a weird name even for you!

Lmao.

Easy wasn't available. I couldn't find anything tackier for a super simple free hosting project. The service was meant to be no frill, super simple webhosting for those who can't or don't want to pay for it.

Hence the whole forum based support and DA control panel to begin with.

Thanked by 2Lee lazyt

@LiteServer said:

If you need some help (for instance a migration to DirectAdmin) to continue your business please let us know, we might be able to help you.

Thanks for the offer, it is not the migration that made me decide this way. My main concern is the "know" the product to use and support it in a proper way.

The cPanel debacle came at a very bad time for me as I have other projects running that I can't put on hold to steer a migration and the rising amount of support that will follow.

I will probably offer it sometime in the future as it is a nice alternative to a vps but right now, the end is here, at least for my shared hosting.

Thanked by 2Lee Ympker
  • donlidonli Member

@mikho said:

I will probably offer it sometime in the future as it is a nice alternative to a vps but right now, the end is here, at least for my shared hosting.

You might want to remove it from your signature:

Shared Hosting offers Amsterdam (NL) | Phoenix (US) | 500gb NAT Storage |

@donli said:

@mikho said:

It will be removed, give an old man a minute or two to visit this site before nagging about it.

Thanked by 3Lee Ympker lazyt
  • donlidonli Member

@mikho said:

It will be removed, give an old man a minute or two to visit this site before nagging about it.

Just helping an old man who didn't see his untied shoelaces.

• xaocxaoc Member

@mikho said:

@donli said:

@mikho said:

Time is limited for old men tho. Must act at once!