Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 30
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

^ what this Gentleman just said :-) +1

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    ^ what this Gentleman just said :-) +1

Willing to beta-test it as well :P, our clients can test it and report any feedback if needed.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Kris said:
    As someonewho skinned cPanel from ugly to what eventually became x theme, I'm taking my time 1+ decade later to skin something for DA that I'll release to all, likely based on the Evolution theme I saw in another thread. Big thanks to DirectAdmin for the license, and big finger to cPanel & team

That would be great, thanks!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

coolice said: At webhostingtalk Igor Seletsky wrote that:

Many of us know this but LET knows best. Whilst I applaud DA for their efforts there will be a slow roll back to cPanel in time for customer focussed people/providers.

The attention and excitement about new skins for DA are really quite laughable. Dress it up whatever way you like it won't add to the functionality, but hey if pretty is a thing then..

The price hike is shit, no doubt, but it does not change the fact that most didn't want to use DA a week ago. Being forced to use something you didn't want to use before never ends well. It really all depends on what DA do now in terms of development.

• I do agree with the move DA have made it protects their business but also clients moving forward with support and updates rather than the panel and company folding due to finances. I have no problem paying $299 + $99 each thereafter, the only concern is that the $99 could change in the future to $199, still cheaper than cPanel but cPanel is an established product and at the moment not comparable to DA. Time will tell.

• donlidonli Member

@LeonDynamic said:
    I do agree with the move DA have made it protects their business but also clients moving forward with support and updates rather than the panel and company folding due to finances. I have no problem paying $299 + $99 each thereafter, the only concern is that the $99 could change in the future to $199, still cheaper than cPanel but cPanel is an established product and at the moment not comparable to DA. Time will tell.

They should have added a "price guarantee" to the $ 99/year.

• @donli said:
    They should have added a "price guarantee" to the $ 99/year.

That would have been a good addition

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@Lee said:

Many of us know this but LET knows best. Whilst I applaud DA for their efforts there will be a slow roll back to cPanel in time for customer focussed people/providers.

The attention and excitement about new skins for DA are really quite laughable. Dress it up whatever way you like it won't add to the functionality, but hey if pretty is a thing then..

The price hike is shit, no doubt, but it does not change the fact that most didn't want to use DA a week ago. Being forced to use something you didn't want to use before never ends well. It really all depends on what DA do now in terms of development.

I am seeing the things from the point of starting an additional product lines to current one. On shared servers we will absorb the increase... We do not offer cPanel reseller plans (so we are not as badly hit as others) but I'm looking to diversify as ti will be smart move

how ever I got some clients on managed vps to which I provide licenses there will be the biggest hit in the prices I got to tell that clients which are with over 30 accounts (all are under 100) that instead of $13 they got to pay $32 more a month or $384 more for the yearly plan and that will increase additionally if they go over 100 accounts

So it will be DA VPS alternative or even maybe a DA reseller for that that can fit in such (with reseller limits enabled to their old vps limits or even more to sweeten the deal more than just with a price)

Also I hold the current points of view:

1. If the market share of cPanel drop they will think twice before try to pull such stunt again
    2. If you manage to make a positive initiative half you customers to move to DA, if cPanel pull the stunt again (0,40 per account to get Q4 profits to the target for example as with new license policy there are only monthly contracts) for company that is 50:50 spited between panels will suffer only half the increase and then if you pass the increase to the customers you will have the infrastructure ready to migrate customers that not like the new price...
    3. If companies spend money for DA it will only get better with time and will put more pressure on cPanel
  • @coolice said:

@Lee said:

I am seeing the things from the point of starting an additional product lines to current one. On shared servers we will absorb the increase... We do not offer cPanel reseller plans (so we are not as badly hit as others) but I looking to diversify as ti will be smart move

how ever I got some clients on managed vps to which I provide licenses there will be the biggest hit in the prices I got to tell that clients which are with over 30 accounts (all are under 100) that instead of $13 they got to pay $32 more a month or $384 more for the yearly plan and that will increase additionally if they go over 100 accounts

So it will be DA VPS alternative or even maybe a DA reseller for that that can fit in such (with reseller limits enabled to their old vps limits or even more to sweeten the deal more than just with a price)

Also I hold the current points of view:

1. If the market share of cPanel drop they will think twice before try to pull such stunt again
    2. If you manage to make a positive initiative half you customers to move to DA, if cPanel pull the stunt again (0,40 per account to get Q4 profits to the target for example as with new license policy there are only monthly contracts) for company that is 50:50 spited between panels will suffer only half the increase and then if you pass the increase to the customers you will have the infrastructure ready to migrate customers that not like the new price...
    3. If companies spend money for DA it will only get better with time and will put more pressure on cPanel

Two big players on a market is called oligopol?
    They could have a (silent) agreement on pricing.

Or one could try and buy out the other.

Any way, if DA gets more customers, I'd expect the prices to rise (if they keep and improve the panel quality). It's just the matter of for how much (cPanel's move was really drastic).

After this price increase, I would advise all providers to move to other alternatives. We can't trust cPanel any longer.

Thanked by 1level6
  • LeeLee Veteran

MikePT said: After this price increase, I would advise all providers to move to other alternatives. We can't trust cPanel any longer.

Based on what? Hysteria? You do what you need to do and let others make their own decisions. One glove does not fit all.

@Lee said:

MikePT said: After this price increase, I would advise all providers to move to other alternatives. We can't trust cPanel any longer.

Based on what? Hysteria? You do what you need to do and let others make their own decisions. One glove does not fit all.

Definitely, Lee. It won't fit all. But what if they decide to increase again in a year? It starts to be unbearable for everyone. You can't really trust them right now.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@MikePT said:

@Lee said:

Definitely, Lee. It won't fit all. But what if they decide to increase again in a year? It starts to be unbearable for everyone. You can't really trust them right now.

But then which company can one really trust?

• @MikePT said:

@Lee said:

When there are not several good quality options, you are always at a risk.

Right now, DirectAdmin looks like only one semi-decent alternative.

Just look at the situation before the cPanel price rise - did anyone want to give it a try even for free?

But now, there are two options. Unless there emerge at least two more, there's no way to expect current prices to remain the same. In fact, I'm not expecting cPanel to get more costly - that would be a suicide for them right now. But I would also not expect DirectAdmin to not become more costly (probably not nearly as outrageously as cPanel though).

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

MikePT said: Definitely, Lee. It won't fit all. But what if they decide to increase again in a year? It starts to be unbearable for everyone. You can't really trust them right now.

I agree they could change paths again, but, DA is playing to their new audience, it's not even been a week and they are the saviour of the hosting world? Yeah, I am as trusting of their intentions as I am of cPanel.

DA adds a myriad of new functionality (which they should already have) and as a result, they may change their pricing because of a) they can and b) it may still be cheaper than cPanel.

Don't' think/believe that because one 3rd party provider screws you over out of the blue that another won't just because you want to believe in them. They now have every reason to increase their pricing in the future (short term).

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • donlidonli Member

@angstrom said:

I want to move to a situation where I don't need to trust a company because if they pull a cPanel I can just seamlessly go elsewhere.

• @Lee said:

MikePT said: Definitely, Lee. It won't fit all. But what if they decide to increase again in a year? It starts to be unbearable for everyone. You can't really trust them right now.

I agree they could change paths again, but, DA is playing to their new audience, it's not even been a week and they are the saviour of the hosting world? Yeah, I am as trusting of their intentions as I am of cPanel.

DA adds a myriad of new functionality (which they should already have) and as a result, they may change their pricing because of a) they can and b) it may still be cheaper than cPanel.

Don't' think/believe that because one 3rd party provider screws you over out of the blue that another won't just because you want to believe in them. They now have every reason to increase their pricing in the future (short term).

Monthly and Yearly licenses came with Protection against price increase so who already got one will pay the same...

I'm waiting for them to clarify about the lifetime license $99 fee also came with that protection (it may so but they just do not have the place on the column on the price page to state it )

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@donli said:

@angstrom said:

I want to move to a situation where I don't need to trust a company because if they pull a cPanel I can just seamlessly go elsewhere.

I agree. :smile:

My question was more of a rhetorical question in reaction to what @MikePT said. (Yes, we can't trust cPanel, but then why trust DA?)

• donlidonli Member

@angstrom said:

My question was more of a rhetorical question in reaction to what @MikePT said. (Yes, we can't trust cPanel, but then why trust DA?)

Thanked by 1angstrom

There's a price-lock in DA, they've been around for over 15 years and they're working non-stop currently to support all the customers migrating from cPanel. If they've stick for 15 years with their old pricing model, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to stick around for another 10 years.
    Granted, there are always other panels such as InterWorx. Or you could build your own. This is obviously a risk in any business - even if you sell chairs and your supplies decides to raise prices to the point it's no longer worth for you to sell chairs, you need to either shut down business, sell something sell or find another supplier. ^

At this point, I believe DA is the solid alternative here.

• @MikePT said:
    There's a price-lock in DA, they've been around for over 15 years and they're working non-stop currently to support all the customers migrating from cPanel. If they've stick for 15 years with their old pricing model, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to stick around for another 10 years.
    Granted, there are always other panels such as InterWorx. Or you could build your own. This is obviously a risk in any business - even if you sell chairs and your supplies decides to raise prices to the point it's no longer worth for you to sell chairs, you need to either shut down business, sell something sell or find another supplier. ^

You do realize that their (market) situation in the past 15 years and now are completely, radically different?

How long has cPanel kept their prices?

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@bikegremlin said:

Two big players on a market is called oligopol?
    They could have a (silent) agreement on pricing.

Or one could try and buy out the other.

Any way, if DA gets more customers, I'd expect the prices to rise (if they keep and improve the panel quality). It's just the matter of for how much (cPanel's move was really drastic).

We cannot just switch paying to open source or any other panel for the security concerns, and where there is not such (for me ISPConfig is secure enough for share hosting) there is lack of supported software (that we use to offer) and totally diffrent UI (even strange to some degree) but If current CP companies push hard enough with the prices it will maybe become cheaper to hire a team to recreate such UI....

Any way I think that additional pressure on Control Panel companies to behave correctly is that some big players which spend couple of millions yearly just for licensing cPanel such as SiteGround has already close to an year in developing their own internal panel (they hired a lot of devs in 2018)... and we just had to help that pressure with our own offers of second panel and licenses with protection against price increase

• LeeLee Veteran

MikePT said: There's a price-lock in DA

The game has changed.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • I was asked by my CPanel Host to pay 3 USDs per year for each of my CPanel accounts in my WHM. I checked alternatives VestaCP is better option since it has Paid Support option available. For paid options Plesk, DirectAdmin and Hosting Controller are better choices as they are backed by active development and support teams.

@bikegremlin said:

@MikePT said:

You do realize that their (market) situation in the past 15 years and now are completely, radically different?

How long has cPanel kept their prices?

I'm aware, just like HostBill raised their prices some time ago.

@Lee said:

MikePT said: There's a price-lock in DA

The game has changed.

I simply migrate to another software supplier. That's how the market works. If you can keep up with the increased costs, excellent. If you cannot, consider other alternatives.
    IMHO, Oakley isn't worried with SMB's, at all.

@asifrogers said:
    I was asked by my CPanel Host to pay 3 USDs per year for each of my CPanel accounts in my WHM. I checked alternatives VestaCP is better option since it has Paid Support option available. For paid options Plesk, DirectAdmin and Hosting Controller are better choices as they are backed by active development and support teams.

That's reasonable.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • donlidonli Member

@asifrogers said:
    For paid options Plesk, DirectAdmin and Hosting Controller are better choices as they are backed by active development and support teams.

Plesk is owned by the same company that owns cPanel.

https://www.plesk.com/blog/plesk-news-announcements/plesk-acquired-by-oakley-capital/

• $3/yr sounds like reasonable markup , after accounting for payment processors' 'cut' for the $2.4/yr price bump

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Wait what?

Why are they putting internet security at risk, when YOU have the option to renew the renew the support at $99/year.

YOU have the option to update your server.

YOU just don't want to pay...

Do YOU like working for free?

Jorbox said: cPanel and DirectAdmin both companies puts internet security under risk just to make more money from people.

Open Source panels is our only hope!

Thanked by 1intovps
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

People always love unsustainable deals, don't they?

DA had to get rid of the old lifetime license. If you have to question why, I am sorry for you.

Thanked by 2Hxxx Hxxx