Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 27
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

WebProject said: No other control panels (apart cPanel) do support the clustered DNS servers, as we do run the DNS servers on different nodes.

>

You can command second dns via direct admin api without second license with this plugin https://directslave.com/

Made them 2 you will have a dns cluster such as cPanel

Also ISP config supports dns cluster but again it was strange config I'm not sure it is in the free tutorials (it was mentioned int the manual example of full cluster ISPconfig

buy the manual they deserve it and has interesting setups and is good for €5 for 270+ pages

• @Francisco said:
    Lads,

Login to https://demo.directadmin.com:2222/

Login: demo_admin and password "demo".

Top right, pull down your menu and go to 'Skin Options'. Change Layout to "Icons".

It's pretty good!

Administrator:

https://imgur.com/lvmjSQd.png

Reseller:

https://imgur.com/SpH5TfL.png

End user:

https://imgur.com/xvXKc1t.png

Francisco

How are you getting that option to change the layout to icons? I'm only seeing the language, time & date, and tables options, no option to change the layout to icons.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2019

@jwbjnwolf said:

@Francisco said:
    Lads,

Top right, pull down your menu and go to 'Skin Options'. Change Layout to "Icons".

It's pretty good!

Administrator:

Reseller:

End user:

Francisco

How are you getting that option to change the layout to icons? I'm only seeing the language, time & date, and tables options, no option to change the layout to icons.

You have to manually install it

cd /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins
    mkdir -p evolution
    cd evolution
    wget -O evolution.tar.gz https://demo.directadmin.com/download/evolution.tar.gz
    tar xvzf evolution.tar.gz
    cd ..
    chown -R diradmin:diradmin evolution

Thanked by 1jwbjnwolf
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited July 2019

Also giving the other competitors a chance to be recognized / more popular.This will allow their competitors to grow and take a market share.

Once another panel gets established as the go to replacement of cPanel I think there is no going back. They are done.

@AnthonySmith said:

donli said: Smaller customer base means less needs for employees means lower payroll means more profits as well.

Yeah, but it also means growth slowdown to the point of going backwards, then you loose market recognition in 5 years when everyone is using something else, but tbh I guess they can always sell it then when they finished pumping it and the new owner will restore the old license prices and it will explode again.

• @Mic-hael said:

@jwbjnwolf said:

@Francisco said:
    Lads,

It's pretty good!

Administrator:

Reseller:

End user:

Francisco

You have to manually install it

cd /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins
    mkdir -p evolution
    cd evolution
    wget -O evolution.tar.gz https://demo.directadmin.com/download/evolution.tar.gz
    tar xvzf evolution.tar.gz
    cd ..
    chown -R diradmin:diradmin evolution

Great, well still there isn't that option in the Skin Options from the drop down, but in the Evolution skin customisation in the misc options, it shows up there the option to change to gid layout. Thanks!!

Thanked by 2MichaelCee smaart
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Sadly this is a growing trend we are starting to see in this industry.

Going forward I believe it's time to start getting our guys to start making our own panels in house.

• @WebProject said:
    No other control panels (apart cPanel) do support the clustered DNS servers, as we do run the DNS servers on different nodes.

CWP now have Slave DNS - that's one the the things keeping my interest there.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@nem said:

@sanvit said:
    Nobody mentioned apnscp @nem? I mean, it's not the best panel but it is used in production (by the own company which created it, but still), license was cheap iirc (I do have a lifetime one so not sure), and the panel itself looked pretty nice, and the dev seems to be actively developing it.

Probably on account the acronym is a bear to recall :blush:

Would be interested in hearing what features are lacking at this point. LET was my pilot launch for taking apnscp public, which by the way thread with free license information. It's up to v3.0.42 with a cPanel import facility coming out later this week.

Lack of reseller access.

I tried to speak to you in Discord and you suggested that a provider could just launch a VPS for every reseller. That's non sense. Your attitude is sort of "it is what it is". Once I contested that, you'd be defensive in the channel. That's not going to work if you're looking to have people migrate from a competitor that's full featured, with a feature set based on opinions and usability. If you're not willing to implement what people ask you to, then continue offering free licenses. That'll be worth for those offering shared hosting only.

I like your skills and what you've achieved though, just not your mindset.

• KwoonKwoon Member

I have looked at cyberpanel source and actually I don’t like very much the way it has been coded

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@MikePT said:
    I tried to speak to you in Discord and you suggested that a provider could just launch a VPS for every reseller.

Surely, he'd know that the reason people pick reseller hosting is often they don't have the know-how to handle a VPS?

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

deank said: Surely, he'd know that the reason people pick reseller hosting is often they don't have the know-how to handle a VPS?

I use my own reseller plans cause, fewer key presses than a VPS and lazy...

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3

Of course you are lazy. Your name sounds leezy.

edited July 2019

@deank said:

@MikePT said:
    I tried to speak to you in Discord and you suggested that a provider could just launch a VPS for every reseller.

Surely, he'd know that the reason people pick reseller hosting is often they don't have the know-how to handle a VPS?

He said there's no need to manage it as the panel does everything.
    He's forgetting the overhead a VPS constitutes, as well as monitoring and everything else.
    It's just not going to work if he's not willing to hear the market. This came from a discussion where a bunch of people jumped in to defend him, and they were defending that DDoS attacks can't be handled efficiently if they are L7 and what made me stop arguing, or trying to, was the friends group saying that most attacks come from residential lines, 99% due to IoT's etc. And I, arguing that many of those come from Datacenters made no difference, let alone the IoT's.

Anyway, as per the discussion, I told him that he may know his panel very well, but he doesn't know the cPanel market. No Provider will spin up a VPS with his panel installed as a reseller service. He still thinks that's the right way to go and he's not willing to work on it. So basically, yeah, people will choose another panel. I did. Ended up with DA and have been speaking to the staff, their work in the last couple days is marvelous, impressive to say the least. Couldn't be more happy with it.

By the way, Providers considering DA, make sure to install custombuild, the UI is pretty good and I believe it'll suffer major changes in the coming weeks.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

@deank said:

@MikePT said:

They don't need to handle a VPS. A VPS is also a handy way to compartmentalize their account. The overhead of virtualization is becoming incrementally less and hardware progressively more efficient. Technology only improves obviating paradigms we thought at one point were the only way to go about something.

Setup the panel, root pubkey only, and now they have access to create accounts, impersonate accounts, and so the such without mucking around root. Use Argos for passive monitoring on the servers, and you can use whatever ntfy backend you want to dispatch the alert. Most of the time it can heal itself. Panel sends out monthly alerts if Webapps fall behind in versioning as well as integrity checks.

I could set aside a few months to build a reseller system and add CSF, CloudLinux, Acronis, and LiteSpeed per @MikePT's recommendations but if you want cPanel then stick with cPanel. If you want apnscp, things are done differently because it took a different path.

There's a lot of very regimented thinking that needs to be reconsidered with how the hosting industry goes about its business. I have creative agencies that run a couple hundred WP sites on 1 account, some of it is managed by secondary users, no problems here. Add the user. Affix the user as owner of the domain. Install WordPress, done.

Do you need reseller because there's no way to accomplish what you're setting out or want reseller because that's what you're used to? That's a better question to ask.

Thanked by 2plumberg vimalware

Dude, what are you trying to convince me for?

I am not a reseller. I am simply stating the need for a reseller system. Arguing with hosts won't get you anywhere. Convince common folks who desire reseller accounts rather.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • DXDDXD Member

Their monopoly will never changed. Thank god i transitioned to custom made control panel.

Plus check our ISPManager 6 (check the new interface)... way better. by a ton of margin.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@deank said:

I am not a reseller. I am simply stating the need for a reseller system. Arguing with hosts won't get you anywhere. Convince common folks who desire reseller accounts rather.

Because you seem like a lovable, convinceable chap, and we should grab a beer sometime?

Mostly to clear up any discouragement @MikePT may have had with his proposed roadmap off a cliff. What you bring up is the common perspective, but it doesn't need to be that way. This industry needs to change and this is an excellent catalyst.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Looks like DA dropped their lifetime deals to make sure they can sustain their business.

Nothing else changed, but those are now sunset.

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58091&p=296623#post296623

Francisco

• Virtualmin is sysadmin friendly. It happily tolerates a sysadmin tweaking configs via shell terminal.

apnSCP (@nem) seems to be built with security and determinism as first-principles.
    I understand they don't want to invest a ton of hours of unpaid labor into a business model (reseller) that might not be around in 5years.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@qtone said:
    I think the community should rally and contact the REAL people who are behind this move. cPanel have no authority. It's the people upstairs that control everything. This huge price increase will steer budget hosts to unsecure panels which will create millions of vulnerable sites, botnets, spam, etc. Overall it will burden the Internet. Also it will affect many of those in the developed world. Do these people at the TOP really care about the little people???

Every single contact will make a difference!!

No offence, this doesn't sound only naive, but also sort of communist.

By definition the pupose of a business is to generate profit for the shareholders.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

@WebProject said:
    No other control panels (apart cPanel) do support the clustered DNS servers, as we do run the DNS servers on different nodes.

I think it's not that hard to manually configure automatic zone transfer.

• At-least we are looking at major change in cPanel, similar to plesk onyx!
    Since owned by same people, trying to close gap; Indirectly it is giving plesk onyx upper hand[unlimited sites*].
    At some point we might see hybrid version of both panels - whole new control panel and plesk and cPanel both left behind as old gems!

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Well, the DA gravy train is stopping.

What's next to fall in the control panel dominoes.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

@nem said:

@deank said:

Because you seem like a lovable, convinceable chap, and we should grab a beer sometime?

Mostly to clear up any discouragement @MikePT may have had with his proposed roadmap off a cliff. What you bring up is the common perspective, but it doesn't need to be that way. This industry needs to change and this is an excellent catalyst.

Creating a Virtualization layer isnt necessary. Gets more expensive for both the Provider and client. I dont see your point here. You could no longer sell value-added reseller accounts. Mail relays such as MailChannels? Would need to have the customer purchasing his own account. CloudLinux? Same. LiteSpeed? Same... Backups? Customer would need to sort those, as you cant just backup the whole VM, it would only be good for DR purposed.
    Provider, virt panel then another dedicated IP etc. You really dont get it, do you? As I said, you surely know your panel very well but not the industry. Dont come up with the creative agency, thats not reflecting what the industry wants. As you said, it is what it is. I can however tell you that it isnt going to work for most.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@qtone said: I think the community should rally and contact the REAL people who are behind this move. cPanel have no authority. It's the people upstairs that control everything. This huge price increase will steer budget hosts to unsecure panels which will create millions of vulnerable sites, botnets, spam, etc. Overall it will burden the Internet. Also it will affect many of those in the developed world. Do these people at the TOP really care about the little people???

Thanks for signing up to tell us this.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

XiNiX said: I think these two panels to deserve some attention.

Really not. KloxoMR is a fork from the anciend and abandoned Kloxo, there is only one developer for the fork, Mustafa Rahmadan, a nice guy as it seem from his forum and efford but, even if the panel had a lot of potentials, it is based on a problematic foundation. The developing is slow to none for years and I wouldn't trust the security on that... Mustafa abandoned for almost two years the project and came back recently, but last major update was on Feb2017. So, not.

Froxlor never had potentials. It lacks from tons of features that every common panel has nowdays and it reminds past decades.

arifur said: Give Virtualmin a go. I have been using it for almost 5 years.

Virtualmin is great, but not for the common or end user. It is not a setup-and-go web panel.

Thanked by 3MikePT ITLabs XiNiX
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

deank said: Indeed, they purchased out CPanel and Plesk for a reason. They want a quicker return. I don't see CPanel losing half of its client.

In fact, if CPanel was owned by people that was interested in long terms, they would really mind, not only if they would gonna lose 50% of their client's base but for even a 10%. Even a single capable professional manager would not allow to lose clients trying to balance money input with a rise of the prices.

But an investment firm is different. When we are using the term "invest", this is not an investment on a product but on a stock value. They are playing with stocks and prospects, only caring on rising the today value of a company to sell it with a higher price than they bought it. This is how investment firms/funds are working, their goal is not to run a company but growing the current value.

This is a high risk game. It can get multiplied profits compared to the initial investment. But... If the facts of the growing profit are not really stable on long terms, this may kill the value of their company. And this can hapen if they let space to competitors to grow and gain market share. This cannot happen in a month or two, but if CPanel (and Solus in the near future) becomes a really expensive and premium solution, then, DirectAdmin, VIrtualizor or even free panels like Vesta or Cyperpanel or a new player will be more mature, evolve and, in the end, occupy part of the land oakley left unattended and abandoned.

See the opposite. Litespeed (a rather expensive solution based on cores) has been losing market share because todays solutions like nginx or even apache are getting more mature and can serve much more load in less resources. So, they are pushing now actively the developing of openlitespeed giving much more specs compared with the paid version than before. Plus, cyperpanel, sponsored by them, is free for openlitespeed and even for litespeed for a single site, a move to gain popularity to the "poor" everyday users that would non be using the web server elseway. With such moves, they want to gain popularity and user base, even if the majority will be free users. But also, they are trying to gain market share from apache, nginx, ms etc. This is a classic economic game if the owners of a company are standing for the long run and not only for occasional profits just to resell the company.

• riotriot Member

@lonea said:
    Well then you make it clear and say there is no control panel that offer free dns cluster....

Incorrect. Virtualmin does this, and it can be configured in the gui. I know, because I do it.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Francisco said:
    Looks like DA dropped their lifetime deals to make sure they can sustain their business.

Nothing else changed, but those are now sunset.

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58091&p=296623#post296623

Francisco

As per the post, they also won't allow lifetime license to be sold/transferred between accounts.

We are no longer pushing/moving licenses between accounts, especially after several of our customers have been scammed by people selling licenses from hacked accounts. License portability/reselling is never something we offered as a feature so we need to crack down on this a little better.

I hope nobody bought any lifetime license with the intention of pawning them off at a later date :tongue: