Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 24
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AnthonySmith said: I tested DA, its lacking, i don't want to offer a second rate service.

Just curious: what do you find that DA lacks with respect to cPanel?

In any case, I find good the idea of offering shared hosting with DA at budget pricing in addition to shared hosting with cPanel at premium pricing.

@latic said: hardly any learning curve from cpanel apart from a slightly confusing php selector layout.

That's too bad: we LET users want a completely clear PHP SELECTER.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Very important to have easy PHP selekter indeed.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@latic said:
    ...apart from a slightly confusing php selector layout.

Confusing php selecter is a NO GO.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

angstrom said: Just curious: what do you find that DA lacks with respect to cPanel?

Well the big one for me apart from the little bells and whistles, multi free ssl selector, php selector, etc, is the cloudflare integration, this is of course all from an end user perspective.

I will look at it again though given how much effort mark is putting in i dont want to rule out that i was too quick to judge.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Well the big one for me apart from the little bells and whistles, multi free ssl selector, php selector, etc, is the cloudflare integration, this is of course all from an end user perspective.

So users can't adjust their own PHP modules right now?

Francisco

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@Francisco said:

AnthonySmith said: Well the big one for me apart from the little bells and whistles, multi free ssl selector, php selector, etc, is the cloudflare integration, this is of course all from an end user perspective.

Francisco

Yes, they can: https://www.cloudlinux.com/getting-started-with-cloudlinux-os/42-profitability-and-php-features/944-php-selector-for-directadmin-admins

Thanked by 1Ympker

@ITLabs said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Yes, they can: https://www.cloudlinux.com/getting-started-with-cloudlinux-os/42-profitability-and-php-features/944-php-selector-for-directadmin-admins

Yeah, DA definitely has PHP SELECTER.

Thanked by 2Francisco Ympker

Phew, we can all rest easy now.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • xaocxaoc Member

I want to adjust someone's PHP module now. wink

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@deank said:
    Phew, we can all rest easy now.

Are you forgetting about the lack of IPoAC DNS clustering? Definitely a NO-GO.

Thanked by 1level6
  • I've been running Interworx for 12 years and the support people there are very responsive and go out of their way to fix things. They are also all english speaking. I have invoices totalling over $40k there. Their licensing is very reasonable, especially for partners. They have some great features and always adding new things like Let's Encrypt and Multi-PHP.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: So users can't adjust their own PHP modules right now?

Francisco

looks like only if you use CL, I did not bother installing CL for testing it.

• DA natively supports CloudLinux, Litespeed, OLS, Nginx, Ngnix Reverse Proxy, Softaculous, SitePad. Even the CSF team are working on porting over their scripts to DA (CSF already supported). JetBackup are working on DA and stand alone as well.

Thanked by 2angstrom vimalware
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@Francisco said:
    @AnthonySmith

I can confirm the truth to that -- should be out pretty soon. (Day or two?) It just went from concept to actually being a real functioning skin. It's part of Evo, just a different option to give you that icony cPanel interface. It will be included with DA.  Kind of a clone, to make cPanel users at home.

It's kind of meh in my opinion, but will be interesting to see the response.  We'll fine-tune it almost instantly in response to any criticism. But I'm not a graphics guy so I don't know, maybe it's just fine. No previews to attach though, I only have a rough first draft and apparently it's not even being used now. If I get something, I'll pass it along though.

More news: the cPanel to DA migration is now part of the backup/restore in the admin panel. You just load up a cPanel backup the way you would load a DirectAdmin backup. It's not even a new feature or button. It just simply accepts & processes cPanel backup files now.

Mark

Francisco

@KuJoe Might be interesting for you and probably faster & better than I could have done :)

Thanks but I wasn't actually planning on using DirectAdmin, I was going to pay for a cPanel-like skin for other to use but I think I'm going to roll my own control panel still.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I tested DA, its lacking, i don't want to offer a second rate service.

we did tests too, omg, some functionality is overcomplicated for no reason, personally didn't like at all, looking on functionality Plesk does better job than DA

@WebProject said:

AnthonySmith said: I tested DA, its lacking, i don't want to offer a second rate service.

we did tests too, omg, some functionality is overcomplicated for no reason, personally didn't like at all, looking on functionality Plesk does better job than DA

Possible, but Plesk is the same family as cpanel.

Francisco

• @Francisco what does the future hold for your shared and reseller plans?

@stephfd21 said:
    @Francisco what does the future hold for your shared and reseller plans?

Price increase to cover the new fees. I'm not eating $3000/month in new costs for cheapo shared plans.

We'll spin up a DA node and give out free accounts for people to try out.

Francisco

Any news on Franpanel?

• uptimeuptime Member

steedPanel ?

Thanked by 1Francisco
    edited July 2019

Lads,

Login to https://demo.directadmin.com:2222/

Login: demo_admin and password "demo".

Top right, pull down your menu and go to 'Skin Options'. Change Layout to "Icons".

It's pretty good!

Administrator:

https://imgur.com/lvmjSQd.png

Reseller:

https://imgur.com/SpH5TfL.png

End user:

https://imgur.com/xvXKc1t.png

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Lads,

Login to https://demo.directadmin.com:2222/

Login: demo_admin and password "demo".

Top right, pull down your menu and go to 'Skin Options'. Change Layout to "Icons".

It's pretty good!

Administrator:

https://imgur.com/lvmjSQd.png

Reseller:

https://imgur.com/SpH5TfL.png

End user:

https://imgur.com/xvXKc1t.png

Francisco

I actually really like it. Is that surprising?

• JorboxJorbox Member

The theme looks great but the icons needs to be changed
    can we change the icons with icons close to cpanel .. also if we changed the color it will be great

@Jorbox said:

can we change the icons with icons close to cpanel .. also if we changed the color it will be great

You can skin it however you want I think?

You would have to buy an icon pack as I'm assuming cPanel owns the rights to the icons' in their panel.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    We'll spin up a DA node and give out free accounts for people to try out.

Yay.
    Will the' jailed ssh on custom port ' feature be available? This is huge for DIY backup and deploys.

edited July 2019

Will the' jailed ssh on custom port ' feature be available? This is huge for DIY backup and deploys.

We'll get cloudlinux on there as well with SSH access. The plan is to make is as painless of a change for people as possible.

I made a thread to split off the DA feedback into, that way this thread can stay on the cPanel hate train.

Francisco

Thanked by 2plumberg vimalware
  • JorboxJorbox Member

@Francisco said:

@Jorbox said:

You would have to buy an icon pack as I'm assuming cPanel owns the rights to the icons' in their panel.

Francisco

I think if they were .PNG files they could be replaced.
    design icons close to cPanel will not be that hard
    I will look into it. If its possible I will post them for free.

@Jorbox said:

@Francisco said:

@Jorbox said:

Francisco

I think if they were .PNG files they could be replaced.
    design icons close to cPanel will not be that hard
    I will look into it. If its possible I will post them for free.

Post it to the other thread I made :)

Francisco

• WebProject said: we did tests too, omg, some functionality is overcomplicated for no reason, personally didn't like at all, looking on functionality Plesk does better job than DA

Agreed. Not to mention the support tickets begging not to switch from cPanel... People like easy, and cPanel is well easy and it works. The real issue is resellers it screws offering reseller packages at a fair price... We may do what fran said and fire up a node with direct admin and test with it for resellers. Issue is we had a prebuilt a dedi with WHM/cPanel ready for launch of reseller services and now it sits idle.... Makes you want to switch so bad.