Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• level6level6 Member

Meanwhile that free cPanel guy ignored the cease and desist order. Free cpanel lives!

https://thefreecpanel.com/

• @deank said:
    I see maybe only 5 new people discussing CP to DA conversion on DA forum.

That's too little.

We have started, the migration tool works just fine.

Thanked by 2Ympker level6
  • JorboxJorbox Member

@Ympker said:
    Same :) Blesta lifetime is great :D Support & Updates included hehe^^

Yes Thank you because it was your suggestion :smiley:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • donlidonli Member

@level6 said:
    Meanwhile that free cPanel guy ignored the cease and desist order. Free cpanel lives!

cPanel.com is too busy at the moment to swat flies I guess.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@angstrom said:

@Hxxx said: I was simply referring to the fact that cPanel is just a gui and a few wrappers. The magic that happens behind that it all comes from great open source projects.

Well, any control panel is a front-end to other software.

You may be underestimating the added value of cPanel ("just a gui and a few wrappers") for many people.

It's easy to understand why cPanel customers are upset about cPanel's sudden price hike, but there's no reason why Apache or MySQL/MariaDB should care, and it's not as though cPanel were the only proprietary control panel to interface with Apache and MySQL/MariaDB.

Yeah, that's clearly an understatement. Otherwise all this mad people would be done already migrating to their newly completed script. :smiley:

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited June 2019

You have a point but I'm a dev so I see it from a different perspective.

Most people with cPanel access dont even use it and people who use it at the minimum are geeks. The normal people just give the credentials to their devs.

What I use of cPanel is PHPMyAdmin and that I use with or without cPanel since is an open source project itself.

In my humble and biased opinion I say is not cPanels fault, is our fault as the providers for being so dependent on such software to provide basic features for our customers. Instead of putting some effort and actually developing great software, just like most of the high end VPS providers do with their control panels.

@angstrom said:

@Hxxx said: I was simply referring to the fact that cPanel is just a gui and a few wrappers. The magic that happens behind that it all comes from great open source projects.

Well, any control panel is a front-end to other software.

You may be underestimating the added value of cPanel ("just a gui and a few wrappers") for many people.

It's easy to understand why cPanel customers are upset about cPanel's sudden price hike, but there's no reason why Apache or MySQL/MariaDB should care, and it's not as though cPanel were the only proprietary control panel to interface with Apache and MySQL/MariaDB.

Thanked by 3ITLabs level6 Harambe
  • donlidonli Member

@Hxxx said:
    You have a point but I'm a dev so I see it from a different perspective.

Most people with cPanel access dont even use it and people who use it at the minimum are geeks. The normal people just give the credentials to their devs.

With per-server pricing there was incentive to just give all accounts on a server cPanel access. Now with per-account pricing that may change.

• @deank said:
    The conversion is a big step. There has to be people asking before committing.

The size of reaction is just too small which makes me think that most will likely stick to CPanel for the time being.

Cyberpanel is another one that has come up as a candidate but don't know, man. It looks to me, the rage is all talk but no action.

At WHT we are told that they now work on GUI importer where you just backup the cPanel server , rsync the backups to DA server and Just import them from the GUI (that should be available in next days) and next step will be a direct tool that can connect to cPanel server and transfer (which do not have ETA yet but eventually it can be a high priority .... we will see how next week will go

How ever I agree that customer has right to choose so we plan to offer both DA and cPanel plans dor new customer but cPanel ones will be sold with:" Special Monthly cPanel® Fluid Price Guarantee" as we cannot absorb more absurd prices so cpanel can get their fair share from our business as their thinfoil rep said ...

• @deank said:
    60 days isn't much if you are planning to migrate your entire server lineup. Better start now than later.

But that's just me.

I think most people are stick shock and think cPanel is going to revert back to old price, but they won't and next will they will start making changes. I think most people will just by a small dedi or VPS to test different control panels and make some small migrations from test sites so there won't be much comments as for now, plus, the steps are pretty straigh forward, I already did some tests and it worked like a charm.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited June 2019

Actually dont offer both, just offer DA, that's what most of you did before this whole pricing thing right(cPanel)? You just offered cPanel and no DA option, why would they have a choice now...

Don't play safe :)

@coolice said:

@deank said:
    The conversion is a big step. There has to be people asking before committing.

The size of reaction is just too small which makes me think that most will likely stick to CPanel for the time being.

Cyberpanel is another one that has come up as a candidate but don't know, man. It looks to me, the rage is all talk but no action.

At WHT we are told that they now work on GUI importer where you just backup the cPanel server , rsync the backups to DA server and Just import them from the GUI (that should be available in next days) and next step will be a direct tool that can connect to cPanel server and transfer (which do not have ETA yet but eventually it can be a high priority .... we will see how next week will go

How ever I agree that customer has right to choose so we plan to offer both DA and cPanel plans dor new customer but cPanel ones will be sold with:" Special Monthly cPanel® Fluid Price Guarantee" as we cannot absorb more absurd prices so cpanel can get their fair share from our business as their thinfoil rep said ...

• donlidonli Member

@coolice said:

So what's the bottom line - will you be charging different prices for the different panels. Will resellers on cPanel be charged a different monthly amount based on their number of accounts ?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Hxxx said: In my humble and biased opinion I say is not cPanels fault, is our fault as the providers for being so dependent on such software to provide basic features for our customers. Instead of putting some effort and actually developing great software, just like most of the high end VPS providers do with their control panels.

I think that we can agree about this!

Thanked by 2Hxxx lazyt
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@level6 said:

https://infinityfree.net/ is also still alive and kickin. They also use cpanel. This will be interesting.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Jorbox said:

@Ympker said:
    Same :) Blesta lifetime is great :D Support & Updates included hehe^^

Yes Thank you because it was your suggestion :smiley:

Your welcome my friend hehe :)

• LeeLee Veteran

MSPNick said: We have started, the migration tool works just fine.

Hold on, last time I heard your name mentioned it was 'scammer'.

• @Hxxx @donli we have cPanel in stock so we will sell it... we do not offer cPanel reseller so we are not hit as bad as other, but my concerns are with that if cPanel do not loose market share we will be strongly dependable on any future price increase so i want to make an initiative to DA orders instead of cPanel ones (at some point at the future that may be seen as another smart decision taken )

Any way with reseller limit working on DA i can potentially jump to offer DA reseller as any cPanel provider that want to offer 25 accounts got to charge minimum of $60 per year just for the accounts and $120 for 50 accounts that seems as opportunity especially with reseller limits available for DA

https://docs.cloudlinux.com/reseller_limits/#overview

• The moment if you every month has an incoming of 500.000 $ and try to raise it up to 3.500.000 $ every month and get only 50.000$ while you lost all customers as the result of your greedy increases of your prices.... Than you are Cpanel....We give them 12 Month ..to go down!

• donlidonli Member

@Internoc24 said:
    The moment if you every month has an incoming of 500.000 $ and try to raise it up to 3.500.000 $ every month and get only 50.000$ while you lost all customers as the result of your greedy increases of your prices.... Than you are Cpanel....We give them 12 Month ..to go down!

The bottom line is that for cPanel partners this is an extra $1.20/account/year. Is that really going to sink the company ?

• well people can try to mail -
    https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-offices/bureau-competition/contact-information
    and -
    http://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/art82/
    and maybe the reviews will help -
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/cpanel/reviews/?ref=page_internal
    and theere is also cpanel forum but is down again.
    sending mails to and complain about the pricing! -
    https://oakleycapitalinvestments.com/contact-us/

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited June 2019

With the low margins depending on the economics of scale it might well do so.

Say a thousand extra accounts on one server that 1200.00 a year non budgeted expense. Multiply that by 10 servers 12000.00 a year non budgeted expenses.

• JorboxJorbox Member
    edited June 2019

@donli said:

@Internoc24 said:
    The moment if you every month has an incoming of 500.000 $ and try to raise it up to 3.500.000 $ every month and get only 50.000$ while you lost all customers as the result of your greedy increases of your prices.... Than you are Cpanel....We give them 12 Month ..to go down!

The bottom line is that for cPanel partners this is an extra $1.20/account/year. Is that really going to sink the company ?

Yes, if you sell resellers then having thousands of accounts on your customers panel is just normal.
    Even if you don't, getting money for every user is just a stupid Idea by cPanel.

• donlidonli Member

@lazyt said:

Say a thousand extra accounts on one server that 1200.00 a year non budgeted expense. Multiply that by 10 servers 12000.00 a year non budgeted expenses.

Oh it's definately going to sink some low-priced low-margined hosting companies.

• lazytlazyt Member

I'm expecting more fall out from the billing software failure to adjust in time.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@lazyt said:

This. When you have a business model in place that you cannot accurately say how much your licensing costs will be in X months, it's a recipe for disaster. Increasing the cost of your plan by a few dollars a year might not be a huge deal, but when you're increasing the costs for your clients just to maintain your current income that's a bid red flag. For new providers it won't be so bad because they can factor all of this in ahead of time before sending out their first invoice... but for current providers they need to make a rather large change to their business model with little notice.

Thanked by 2Falzo Internoc24
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

So... SolusVM is the next one to see the price increase..... ? Would be logic after Plesk and cPanel, no?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@gestiondbi said:
    So... SolusVM is the next one to see the price increase..... ? Would be logic after Plesk and cPanel, no?

Plesk hasn't finished its rise. The test a year ago was just to get new cash, not the end game. Plesk will mirror cpanel to corner the market.

Solusvm will go per vm or per physical core I think. They're already trying to place it as a onapp competitor.

Francisco

• Okay so DirectAdmin is amazing with it's new theme. After hearing of this I bought a lifetime license and installed it.... I think I actually like the UI more than cPanel/WHM.

Thanked by 2Shazan intovps
  • @caniac22 said:
    Okay so DirectAdmin is amazing with it's new theme. After hearing of this I bought a lifetime license and installed it.... I think I actually like the UI more than cPanel/WHM.

Still so unsure about getting my own owned license. Like having it available through resellers.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited June 2019

@Lee said:

MSPNick said: We have started, the migration tool works just fine.

Hold on, last time I heard your name mentioned it was 'scammer'.

*cough* he's back *cough*

Thanked by 3MichaelCee Lee uptime
  • MasonR said: Hold

Whatever it was, it was dodgy enough to ditch let for 2 years.