Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 23
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• @Francisco what should your customers expect with the reseller and shared packages. I host my sites and clients site with you, I'd really like to give them an update

• level6level6 Member

From a product management perspective, this is a textbook case for what not to do. Take a product/brand with satisfied user base, overwhelming positive brand image, and snuff that out with one a single pricing announcement. They lost significant value overnight.

Thanked by 2uptime eva2000
  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

gosh if you want that just become a provider and take the panel off the market!

Well cPanel actually does own a hosting service.

• LimpanLimpan Member

The DirectAdmin guide linked above works great, instead of moving stuff manually which I did earlier. Websites are so much faster on a DirectAdmin VPS with the same specs (2 core, 4 gb ram) compared to a cPanel VPS. Even faster with NGINX instead of Apache, of course.

Chance of cPanel license renewal right now: 0.00%

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited June 2019

@AnthonySmith said: I have updated my pricing to reflect what I can offer shared hosting at while relying on license prices from a savage company: https://inceptionhosting.com/shared.html

That's a 400% price increase on the Basic plan!! What a scam!! (:wink:)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Mic-hael: Do you know how SmallWeb pricing will be affected?

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited June 2019

@angstrom said:
    @Mic-hael: Do you know how SmallWeb pricing will be affected?

Luckily it is /small/ web rn.

Currently waiting on an update from the provider I use so that can be worked out. Either way I plan to keep cPanel as an offering and work around the pricing. But as planned, DirectAdmin will be part of the SmallWeb offering too.

Thanked by 3angstrom Ympker uptime
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

God, that hyphen can be mesmerizing.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    felio (or what ever the name was)

The name is. Alive and well https://fleio.com

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited June 2019

@Mic-hael said:
    DirectAdmin will be part of the SmallWeb offering too.

Web will no longer be so Small, then. :wink:

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

intovps said: The name is. Alive and well https://fleio.com

name 5 known hosts that use it.

• fleiofleio Member

@AnthonySmith said:

You'll notice them soon enough.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

We’re going to stick with cPanel for a bit, but test direct admin and see how it goes...

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

@fleio said:

@AnthonySmith said:

If you want to take more market share I think you might need to review pricing a little. With your current pricing you are 3x solusvm for our current hardware line. You're only cheaper on e3's which we are phasing out anyway, and most providers will probably be moving the same direction due to OpenVZ losing popularity.

Per node might be better than per core. Nobody likes per core pricing, some people tolerate it for Microsoft products but there you don't really have a choice - if you need SQL server or Windows, you need it - whereas with your product there's various other options.

Currently imo you need to gain market share so you both gain the trust of potential customers, and to drive word of mouth, rather than focusing on revenue.

Thanked by 1fleio

fleio said: You'll notice them soon enough.

I mean no offence, but you have been posting here about it for 2+ years so... "soon enough" has been and gone and that is really exactly my point.

• fleiofleio Member

@jackb said:

@fleio said:

@AnthonySmith said:

If you want to take more market share I think you might need to review pricing a little. With your current pricing you are 3x solusvm for our current hardware line. You're only cheaper on e3's which we are phasing out anyway.

Per node might be better than per core. Nobody likes per core pricing, some people tolerate it for Microsoft products but there you don't really have a choice - if you need SQL server or Windows, you need it - whereas with your product there's various other options.

Thanks for the feedback. We did cut pricing a couple of times. Right now no further cutting is planned.

Fleio is also broader in scope (more than just VMs, complex cloud model pricing rules, billing. etc.) and actively developed. E.g. we're currently working on adding Kubernetes clusters to Fleio.

• fleiofleio Member

@AnthonySmith said:

fleio said: You'll notice them soon enough.

I mean no offence, but you have been posting here about it for 2+ years so... "soon enough" has been and gone and that is really exactly my point.

Right. I take back "enough" :smile:

coolice said: What is lacking ? A button theme like cPanel but at WHT EasyInternet_Nick claimed:

I will take another look, with the skins, the way DA are responding to this is admirable so it deserves another look.

Additionally I do plan to roll DA for the reseller product I had previously planned to offer on cpanel.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited June 2019

AnthonySmith said: Additionally I do plan to roll DA for the reseller product I had previously planned to offer on cpanel.

I definitely think there is opportunity there for you. Best of luck

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

Well, fighting and half-ignoring a potential customer who's on lookout for CPanel alternative is a good way to .... do something.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

coolice said: What is lacking ? A button theme like cPanel but at WHT EasyInternet_Nick claimed:

I will take another look, with the skins, the way DA are responding to this is admirable so it deserves another look.

Additionally I do plan to roll DA for the reseller product I had previously planned to offer on cpanel.

I just finished talking with Mark a few minutes ago.

Supposedly a 'icon based' theme is on the way, give it another day or two. He said that it's a rough theme for now, but will be making improvements near instantly as feedback comes in.

Restoring cPanel backups is now fully built into DA. You can import it through the DA admin panel like you would a normal DA backup. It handles the conversion, etc.

Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2019

@AnthonySmith

I can confirm the truth to that -- should be out pretty soon. (Day or two?) It just went from concept to actually being a real functioning skin. It's part of Evo, just a different option to give you that icony cPanel interface. It will be included with DA.  Kind of a clone, to make cPanel users at home.

It's kind of meh in my opinion, but will be interesting to see the response.  We'll fine-tune it almost instantly in response to any criticism. But I'm not a graphics guy so I don't know, maybe it's just fine. No previews to attach though, I only have a rough first draft and apparently it's not even being used now. If I get something, I'll pass it along though.

More news: the cPanel to DA migration is now part of the backup/restore in the admin panel. You just load up a cPanel backup the way you would load a DirectAdmin backup. It's not even a new feature or button. It just simply accepts & processes cPanel backup files now.

Mark

Francisco

Thanked by 1Limpan

@Francisco brilliant, thanks for the update, I will continue to lobby those that make cpanel exclusive plugins to create equivalents for DA.

edited June 2019

meanwhile if anyone has an 8501 MOS cpu I really need one to repair a Commodore 16 :)

edit: TED chip would be handy as well.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2019

@Francisco said:
    @AnthonySmith

I can confirm the truth to that -- should be out pretty soon. (Day or two?) It just went from concept to actually being a real functioning skin. It's part of Evo, just a different option to give you that icony cPanel interface. It will be included with DA.  Kind of a clone, to make cPanel users at home.

It's kind of meh in my opinion, but will be interesting to see the response.  We'll fine-tune it almost instantly in response to any criticism. But I'm not a graphics guy so I don't know, maybe it's just fine. No previews to attach though, I only have a rough first draft and apparently it's not even being used now. If I get something, I'll pass it along though.

More news: the cPanel to DA migration is now part of the backup/restore in the admin panel. You just load up a cPanel backup the way you would load a DirectAdmin backup. It's not even a new feature or button. It just simply accepts & processes cPanel backup files now.

Mark

Francisco

@KuJoe Might be interesting for you and probably faster & better than I could have done :)

• Can someone suggest a good reseller hosting provider? Not looking for cheap providers like namecheap/hostgator/ etc.

• @Ozoneflare said:
    Can someone suggest a good reseller hosting provider? Not looking for cheap providers like namecheap/hostgator/ etc.

For cPanel? It's really tough to say until September 1st/providers change their pricing.

• Mic-hael said: For cPanel? It's really tough to say until September 1st/providers change their pricing.

I know. Just want to know names of big and best providers in the industry.

• LeeLee Veteran

I have been working on the DA API most of the day, pretty straightforward and certainly easier to use than WHM. Will have something ready for next weekend to roll out alongside cPanel and see how it goes. Honestly, I don't see much interest in it from existing clients but you never know.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • laticlatic Member, Host Rep

I've been having a play with http://centos-webpanel.com/ and it seems decent, hardly any learning curve from cpanel apart from a slightly confusing php selector layout.

It kinda goes back to basics when cpanel was just the gui and you could still admin the server.

Might be a decent one for none production / personal (saying this as you cannot audit code as its encoded)