Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 25
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• level6level6 Member

Best headline on the subject from The Register:

cPanel unleashes price hikes on its most dense customers

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/28/cpanel_price_hikes/

• http://chng.it/5mnBnyzGhX

This one has 216,870 signs.

Thanked by 1kp93
  • What a sick business strategy! So long for the cPanel. Back in the time I was using and idling VPSes, I had tried many different control panels and some of them were pretty competitive. Hope this new price hike starts a new era of change and competition for the industry.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

@Ozoneflare said:
    http://chng.it/5mnBnyzGhX

This one has 216,870 signs.

I don't think restoring old price will be a realistic request. Better will be if they add unlimited or higher limit like 800-1000.

• I'm not going with anything other than lifetime license or completely open source... no more surprises that can ruin a business.

• @webmaster24 said:
    I'm not going with anything other than lifetime license or completely open source... no more surprises that can ruin a business.

There are no guarantees on one's lifetime. Surprises are always in store. :)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

ThresherHost said: Not to mention the support tickets begging not to switch from cPanel

So, you mean that end users that are not tech people (tech people would not mind really the panel when they are able to complete tasks wven without one) learn about the price increase and beg you not to change to another panel? And you have tickets opened from your clients for that, begging?
    Yeah, sure...

Thanked by 1level6
  • @bikegremlin true, no absolute guarantees, but still better chance :open_mouth:

• @jvnadr said:

ThresherHost said: Not to mention the support tickets begging not to switch from cPanel

So, you mean that end users that are not tech people (tech people would not mind really the panel when they are able to complete tasks wven without one) learn about the price increase and beg you not to change to another panel? And you have tickets opened from your clients for that, begging?
    Yeah, sure...

I'm from Serbia, average monthly pay is around 400 euros (450 $).
    Based on average pays and prices, hosting price of say 10$ per month is the equivalent of someone from the EU / US paying around 50$ per month (if not more).

Starting from myself, I'd rather pay more per month, than use a control panel that doesn't work for me. For a single hosting account, that's an extra of 0.45$ per month tops - if the server hosts not much more than 100 accounts.

Would be (am) looking for alternatives, sure, but for anything business/critical - pay what you have to, rather than "experiment" with that.

Similar feedback from the clients as well.

Not sure how people from certain parts of Africa and Asia, with even lower income, think, but I'm sure that for most of the US /EU customers, the price rise is not "unsurvivable" (just made that word up - Tarzan English V 2.4).

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

i think the price rise is survivable, just cpanel automatically takes a % of every account you add.... (control panel tax man)

I think a lot of hosts would or could survive the price increase by passing on to the customer.... but the way in which it was handled has been a bitter taste and I think that is what will force people to move...

I am pretty sure the same group owned HeartInternet 'which in their control panel was an unlimited reseller module' they limited it to 250 and put a price on each account afterwards... so looks to be a theme running here....

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

bikegremlin said: I'd rather pay more per month, than use a control panel that doesn't work for me.

What is working for you in CPanel that does not in DA?

bikegremlin said: if the server hosts not much more than 100 accounts

In shared hosting environments, it is extremely rare to find a server with ~100 accounts. In fact, most big (really big) companies do host over 1000 accounts in a single server, 250-300 is really common for most of the rest providers.
    For a provider, the panel itself is one of the tenths elements/expenses he has to put together for a viable company: litespeed/cloudlinux, other plugin cost, softaculous, site builder, the server itself, ips, bandwidth, support staff, developers for infrastructure, advertising etc.
    If you reduce the number of the shared clients in each server, you grow the other expenses (server costs, ips, CL/LS license, support etc.). And, in the end, you have to charge a lot for a service that should cost much less.

bikegremlin said: for anything business/critical - pay what you have to, rather than "experiment" with that.

Shared hosting is not "business/critical". The shared service providers that charge $$$ for their services, are so costly because of some other factors: personalized support, heavy traffic/load, big infrastructures. But, this is not the issue here: if a client can support such costs, he will not go to CPanel but rather have his devs to build his own infrastructure in terminal. So, Shared cpanel providers will mostly target small, non tech people that want to setup some small sites over there.

bikegremlin said: Similar feedback from the clients as well.

I cannot believe that. If this is true, can you please post some tickets deleting the name of your clients? And, why they want CPanel? because they have used it? If so, this is mostly a matter of skin, not the panel itself. If there is a similar GUI, t would not be a problem. When CPanel changed from x template to their new one, a lot of people was not happy because of the routine they use to have. After some days, most of the complains disappeared and people were more happy because of the fresh look.

bikegremlin said: I'm sure that for most of the US /EU customers, the price rise is not "unsurvivable"

if you chose a shared hosting provider because he offers services for 2-3-4$ or even 10-20$ per year, then, the rising price will be 500-800%. And don't tell me hat they do not offer good services for this price range. Francisco's BuyShared is a top-notch reseller service for 20$ per year.

• @jvnadr said:

bikegremlin said: I'd rather pay more per month, than use a control panel that doesn't work for me.

What is working for you in CPanel that does not in DA?

bikegremlin said: if the server hosts not much more than 100 accounts

In shared hosting environments, it is extremely rare to find a server with ~100 accounts. In fact, most big (really big) companies do host over 1000 accounts in a single server, 250-300 is really common for most of the rest providers.
    For a provider, the panel itself is one of the tenths elements/expenses he has to put together for a viable company: litespeed/cloudlinux, other plugin cost, softaculous, site builder, the server itself, ips, bandwidth, support staff, developers for infrastructure, advertising etc.
    If you reduce the number of the shared clients in each server, you grow the other expenses (server costs, ips, CL/LS license, support etc.). And, in the end, you have to charge a lot for a service that should cost much less.

bikegremlin said: for anything business/critical - pay what you have to, rather than "experiment" with that.

Shared hosting is not "business/critical". The shared service providers that charge $$$ for their services, are so costly because of some other factors: personalized support, heavy traffic/load, big infrastructures. But, this is not the issue here: if a client can support such costs, he will not go to CPanel but rather have his devs to build his own infrastructure in terminal. So, Shared cpanel providers will mostly target small, non tech people that want to setup some small sites over there.

bikegremlin said: Similar feedback from the clients as well.

I cannot believe that. If this is true, can you please post some tickets deleting the name of your clients? And, why they want CPanel? because they have used it? If so, this is mostly a matter of skin, not the panel itself. If there is a similar GUI, t would not be a problem. When CPanel changed from x template to their new one, a lot of people was not happy because of the routine they use to have. After some days, most of the complains disappeared and people were more happy because of the fresh look.

bikegremlin said: I'm sure that for most of the US /EU customers, the price rise is not "unsurvivable"

if you chose a shared hosting provider because he offers services for 2-3-4$ or even 10-20$ per year, then, the rising price will be 500-800%. And don't tell me hat they do not offer good services for this price range. Francisco's BuyShared is a top-notch reseller service for 20$ per year.

Not willing to argue, nor have an interest in proving anything to anyone - just offered my point of view and experience - for what it's worth.

I have zero experience with DirectAdmin - hoping to change that real soon.

If it can be set up to provide easy account creation, migration, backups... then it's all good.

As for the clients - no automated billing - doesn't work like that for small freelancers here. But the general feedback was: "Keep it working, if it has to cost more, what can we do? Just don't want any problems".

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • Few hosting control panel worth looking at:-

DirectAdmin
    Cyberpanel
    CentOS Web Panel

Sentora
    ispconfig
    virtualmin
    ajenti
    vestacp
    fastpanel.direct
    hestiacp
    keyhelp
    apnscp
    vepp - beta version

Thanked by 2plumberg intovps
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

bountysite said: Few hosting control panel worth looking at:-

Sentora: Stay away: Abandoned panel, without devs that is a fork from ZPanel, a really nice panel in his era but with really major security flaws. Zpanel has been bought and become commercial (and then disappeared), that's why the fork. The guy that created zpanel sold the project and withdraw from it. The rest of the team never managed to secure it or even port it to newer OS!

ispconfig: Really nice panel, except... it is not really a standalone panel. It is more of an orchestrator on the elements you build manually, although there are tons of official tutorials for dummies on how to setup your server. ISPconfig is not for newbies / end users without knowledge, because there are a lot to configure to fine tune the panel and the server.

virtualmin: The best non-commercial panel out there. You can do everything (it cannot only make you coffee and even for this I am not sure!). But this comes with a prize: you have to be even more tech capable to really work with it. Definitely not for newbies / end users.

ajenti: Very basic, is lacking of a lot of things. Not really suitable for a real live environment.

vestacp: The best free panel out there in terms on functionality vs simplicity. A lot of much more than me capable guys are rising serious questions about the security of the panel, there was a major security incident some months ago but it seem that caused by a compromised repo that left a hole on it. Again, a very promising panel, I still have a lot of my stuff there, I am not sure if it can be fit for a paid commercial environment (although it has the big majority of the elements an end user wants), because is lacking of reseller logic in it. PLUS: it has the best backup system of all panels, included CPanel. Easy, robust, lightweight and configurable via crons.

hestiacp: A fork from vestacp that the creators are trying to make it more secure and user friendly. Very nice new interface :) Very promising.

fastpanel.direct: Not free, not open source. See the cheese? A free usage period, but then, you have to pay! I have not tested it. though.

keyhelp: Nice panel, nice features, it works for a single user. Not for a commercial environment.

apnscp: Not free, not for reselling. I doubt it is suitable for commercial environment.

CentOS Web Panel: Tons of features, not heard of any security incident but with messy code as a lot of developers or tech experts have criticized the creators of the panel. And it is really heavy. On the other hand, it has a variety of options even on choosing the webserver (it has a combination of Nginx+Apache+varnish that is working out of the box). There are bugs and some times there is a need for troubleshooting, the backup feature is sometimes fails but it has a lot of options and if you are tech capable, it is not a bad panel

Cyberpanel: Seems promising but not for everybody. In the latest versions, the htaccess rules from apache can be ported on openlitespeed without modification in most of cases, something that can move the panel forward quickly. It still lacks of many functions than something like CPanel has, but it is getting better and better every month.

• We're using Plesk and I was wondering if this change might happen to Plesk too as both cPanel and Plesk are owned by the same company.

Plesk is already like that now, but their maximum plan (Web Host Edition) is unlimited.

• donlidonli Member

@kyle20172 said:
    We're using Plesk and I was wondering if this change might happen to Plesk too as both cPanel and Plesk are owned by the same company.

Would you bet your business that it won't ?

Plesk is already like that now, but their maximum plan (Web Host Edition) is unlimited.

For now.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • CoffeeCoffee Member

jvnadr said: PLUS: it has the best backup system of all panels

I'd migrate from Virtualmin to VestaCP if it has incremental backup feature :(

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

Alpharacks predicted this, the owners were old mates with quadranet, and faked a whole fiasco, they truly are oracles

• arifurarifur Member

Give Virtualmin a go. I have been using it for almost 5 years.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

I think these two panels to deserve some attention.

KloxoMR

Froxlor

DA seems to be the one and only proper solution though.

Thanked by 2Francisco HostXNow
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Any update on when these CPanel prices are changing/going active?

• qtoneqtone Member
    edited July 2019

I think the community should rally and contact the REAL people who are behind this move. cPanel have no authority. It's the people upstairs that control everything. This huge price increase will steer budget hosts to unsecure panels which will create millions of vulnerable sites, botnets, spam, etc. Overall it will burden the Internet. Also it will affect many of those in the developed world. Do these people at the TOP really care about the little people???

Every single contact will make a difference!!

Caroline Foulger, Chairman at Oakley Capital
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/carolinefoulger

Peter Dubens - Founder and Managing Partner at Oakley Capital
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/peterdubens

Amjid Zaman - Chief Operating Officer at Oakley Capital
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/amjid-zaman-38089940

Oakley Capital Major (OCI) investors:

"British Empire, an investor in over 50 undervalued investment trusts and holding companies, is now OCI's third biggest shareholder behind Neil Woodford’s Woodford Investment Management, which holds nearly 19.6% through the Woodford Equity Income fund; and Mark Barnett who has a 19.5% stake via his Invesco Perpetual High Income fund."

https://citywire.co.uk/funds-insider/news/british-empire-presses-oakley-capital-to-move-from-bermuda/a1116464?section=investment-trust-insider

Mark Barnett
    Invesco Perpetual High Income fund
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mark-barnett-7ba5ba163

Neil Woodford - Managing Director at Woodford Investment Management
    https://au.linkedin.com/in/neil-woodford-a646a055

Susan Noble - Managing Director, British Empire
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/susan-noble-a2ab6510

• ITLabsITLabs Member

Sorry, but who is sponsoring that survey? Source?

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Forget CPanel. It's over. It wants a divorce. Let it be.

Directadmin is the new haven.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@oneilonline said:
    Any update on when these CPanel prices are changing/going active?

https://cpanel.net/wp-content/themes/cPbase/assets/downloads/cP_Store_Licensing_Guide.pdf

_Starting immediately, we will be changing our license structure and the way we price our products. All licenses purchased or renewed after today will use our new pricing and licensing structure (see page 5). All monthly licenses will remain under the old structure until September 1st, at which time they will be automatically converted to the account based package that is most appropriate for that specific server.

Moving forward, we are transitioning all customers to monthly billing. As yearly licenses come up for renewal, we will do a onetime conversion from your current package to either Admin, Pro, or Premier based on what is most appropriate for your server unless you opt to have the license expire in the Manage Licenses interface of the cPanel Store._

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

No other control panels (apart cPanel) do support the clustered DNS servers, as we do run the DNS servers on different nodes.

• well at least the say somthing, PEOPEL ATTACK THEMMMM
    https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5093593/Pricing-Structure-Feedback