Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• My view is that if the low end market can coalesce around a good alternative, eventually the entire market will change as people are forced to use the alternative, assuming that the alternative is sufficiently capable. Once enough people are familiarised with the alternative, people will start asking why pay so much for the incumbent?

• DA is fine honestly

Thanked by 1intovps
  • I guess I made the right decision when I went with DA 1 year ago for my free hosting project.

DA works perfectly fine for your everyday front end users and admin/backend isn’t that bad either.

Thanked by 2SunshineHost intovps
  • SunshineHostSunshineHost Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

@Ympker said:

@level6 said:
    Meanwhile that free cPanel guy ignored the cease and desist order. Free cpanel lives!

https://thefreecpanel.com/

https://infinityfree.net/ is also still alive and kickin. They also use cpanel. This will be interesting.

*Vistapanel.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@SunshineHost said:

@Ympker said:

@level6 said:
    Meanwhile that free cPanel guy ignored the cease and desist order. Free cpanel lives!

https://infinityfree.net/ is also still alive and kickin. They also use cpanel. This will be interesting.

*Vistapanel.

I believe they have two panels:

1st panel is for your acc with them where you can then click "control panel" which links to the second panel (cPanel):

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

@Francisco said:
    Solusvm will go per vm or per physical core I think. They're already trying to place it as a onapp competitor.

Francisco

I think that would be the encouragement we need to roll our own. We've wanted to for a while, but didn't bother investing the time (we're small enough that we'd only save a few thousand a year) - but if they raise prices to the point where it's 5-10k a year savings 100% we will do it.

I think if they raise prices it will be the death of solusvm though. There's plenty of solusvm customers with the technical competence to have a real stab at replacing it themselves, and virtualizor hasn't had the same stagnation in development that solusvm has had, so it's not like anyone is heavily tied to solusvm.

We personally wouldn't use virtualizor but plenty of people will.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jackb said:

@Francisco said:
    Solusvm will go per vm or per physical core I think. They're already trying to place it as a onapp competitor.

Francisco

I think that would be the encouragement we need to roll our own. We've wanted to for a while, but didn't bother investing the time (we're small enough that we'd only save a few thousand a year) - but if they raise prices to the point where it's 5-10k a year savings 100% we will do it.

I think if they raise prices it will be the death of solusvm though. There's plenty of solusvm customers with the technical competence to have a real stab at replacing it themselves, and virtualizor hasn't had the same stagnation in development that solusvm has had.

We personally wouldn't use virtualizor but plenty of people will.

I used to poke at Terry about it when it was an OnApp product and he refused to go into details of pricing.

There's simply no way they're going to put any effort into SVM2 and not jack up rates.

Francisco

• For illustration only.
    Simple calculate case 1 server with 300 cPanel users
    cPanel Premier for 100 users = $45
    $0.20 x 200 users = $40
    Total for cPanel license have to pay = $85

My Conclusion = Bye... bye... cPanel :)

• donlidonli Member

@epadicom said:
    For illustration only.
    Simple calculate case 1 server with 300 cPanel users
    cPanel Premier for 100 users = $45
    $0.20 x 200 users = $40
    Total for cPanel license have to pay = $85

My Conclusion = Bye... bye... cPanel :)

Tell us what panel you move to.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2019

@epadicom said:
    For illustration only...

With 300 users, that's relatively small change ~28c/user = buttons.
    Try the same calculation for 10 users, as I have on one VPS: $3/user = doubled current rate.

• SunshineHostSunshineHost Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@SunshineHost said:

@Ympker said:

@level6 said:

*Vistapanel.

1st panel is for your acc with them where you can then click "control panel" which links to the second panel (cPanel):

That's not cPanel.
    That's a ripoff of cPanel called Vistapanel, developed by iFastNet.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@SunshineHost said:

@Ympker said:

@SunshineHost said:

@Ympker said:

@level6 said:

*Vistapanel.

That's not cPanel.

Oh lol. Even the url says cpanel.xxx . Well @KuJoe if that's a rip-off, there you have the design for your DA custom skin lol

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

@Ympker said:

@SunshineHost said:

@Ympker said:

@SunshineHost said:

@Ympker said:

@level6 said:

*Vistapanel.

That's not cPanel.

Oh lol. Even the url says cpanel.xxx . Well @KuJoe if that's a rip-off, there you have the design for your DA custom skin lol

I'm 99% sure VistaPanel is just a cPanel skin. There was a huge discussion about it at least once a month when I was the admin of FreeWHT and if you checked the source code you'd see if was just a cPanel skin. Hopefully they ended up making their own control panel because they're about to get a massive bill.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2019

@KuJoe said:

@Ympker said:

@SunshineHost said:

@Ympker said:

@SunshineHost said:

@Ympker said:

@level6 said:

*Vistapanel.

That's not cPanel.

I'm 99% sure VistaPanel is just a cPanel skin. There was a huge discussion about it at least once a month when I was the admin of FreeWHT and if you checked the source code you'd see if was just a cPanel skin.

Aha, well I thought it was too close to the real thing (not just the layout, also the workflow of file manager etc) to be a clone. I wouldn't know though.

Hmmm.. http://freecpanelreseller.com/index.php

• level6level6 Member

How will Oakley respond to the backlash, interest in cPanel replacements? A logical response would be to position Plesk as a solution for low end providers, at a reasonable price point. Better to eat your own children. I haven't used Plesk for years. But back in the day it was amazing.

edited June 2019

@level6 said:
    How will Oakley respond to the backlash, interest in cPanel replacements? A logical response would be to position Plesk as a solution for low end providers, at a reasonable price point. Better to eat your own children. I haven't used Plesk for years. But back in the day it was amazing.

This could be exactly their plan. Drive some cpanel customers to Plesk, raise revenue from the ones that stay. Focus on experimental features in Plesk and port to cpanel when mature

• @jackb said:

@level6 said:

This could be exactly their plan. Drive some cpanel customers to Plesk, raise revenue from the ones that stay. Focus on experimental features in Plesk and port to cpanel when mature

People is not trusting Plesk either as it's owned by Oakley as well, even if they reduce prices, people is scared they would rise it in the future. I mean, I have even seen people looking to migrate from Plesk.

edited June 2019

@desfire said:

@jackb said:

@level6 said:

People is not trusting Plesk either as it's owned by Oakley as well, even if they reduce prices, people is scared they would rise it in the future. I mean, I have even seen people looking to migrate from Plesk.

Sure, but most people here are savvier than the general population. Most cpanel customers won't know Plesk is owned by the same organisation now - just like how on wht you always see someone unhappy with an eig host asking which of 5 other eig hosts they should move to.

• @jackb said:

@desfire said:

@jackb said:

@level6 said:

Sure, but most people here are savvier than the general population. Most cpanel customers won't know Plesk is owned by the same organisation now - just like how on wht you always see someone unhappy with an eig host asking which of 5 other eig hosts they should move to.

Customers are not the ones worried, companies are. If they migrate to other panels, it will be a huge work if they have a lot of servers, why would the risk if it could happen the same with Plesk?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I reckon most of end users will be clueless whether you are using CPanel or not as long as skin is similar. This should be true for shared hosting clients.

Reseller clients would obviously favor CPanel though.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What should be obvious though that I think either they know and do not care or have not considered because they dont really have their finger on the hosting market pulse is that no new hosts are going to buy cPanel now or rather very few that only want very small scale.

I say this because no new product launches that has this sort of flow/model and succeeds on a per seat basis when alternatives exist that do not have a per seat basis.

look how many people flocked to det.io or felio (or what ever the name was) or that other one that onapp almost bought, even announced they bought but then pulled out, the fact that I cant barley remember their names speaks volumes actually, they all wanted to offer per customer pricing or similar, everyone already in the industry said "fuck no"

I think there was at least 2 others like this that vanished, I even paid for one to test it but that was another few years back.

They all failed to launch because the per customer charging without an upper limit pricing is insane.

So cPanel will probably be fine for a few years after this, but they will attract almost no new business, plesk will get that, then they will pull the same shit with plesk, so oakley + webhosting panel market has maybe 5 years to live imo before their actions force a better option on to the market.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    What should be obvious though that I think either they know and do not care or have not considered because they dont really have their finger on the hosting market pulse is that no new hosts are going to buy cPanel now or rather very few that only want very small scale.

I say this because no new product launches that has this sort of flow/model and succeeds on a per seat basis when alternatives exist that do not have a per seat basis.

look how many people flocked to det.io or felio (or what ever the name was) or that other one that onapp almost bought, even announced they bought but then pulled out, the fact that I cant barley remember their names speaks volumes actually, they all wanted to offer per customer pricing or similar, everyone already in the industry said "fuck no"

I think there was at least 2 others like this that vanished, I even paid for one to test it but that was another few years back.

They all failed to launch because the per customer charging without an upper limit pricing is insane.

So cPanel will probably be fine for a few years after this, but they will attract almost no new business, plesk will get that, then they will pull the same shit with plesk, so oakley + webhosting panel market has maybe 5 years to live imo before their actions force a better option on to the market.

Any update on how you plan to move forward given you are just getting started in Shared anyway? Full switch to DA? Keep supporting cPanel because there is nothing like it, just alternative solutions..? Keep us updated hehe :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

Ympker said: Any update on how you plan to move forward given you are just getting started in Shared anyway? Full switch to DA? Keep supporting cPanel because there is nothing like it, just alternative solutions..? Keep us updated hehe

I tested DA, its lacking, i don't want to offer a second rate service.

I tested Cyberpanel, better for end users than DA imho but still limited, like features that people expected 5 years ago are lacking.

I already know interworx and ispconfig... just no.

I have a yearly cPanel license with lots of time left so I am not in any immediate danger from this however going forward I have updated my pricing to reflect what I can offer shared hosting at while relying on license prices from a savage company: https://inceptionhosting.com/shared.html

For now it seems to reactionary to immediately switch when I really don't need too so I am instead taking a small step back.

Customers that paid for the €1 p/year basic package will be contacted, updated and their price will change as of January to €2.00 semi annually, if that is not something they like then I will refund them in full with 30 days notice.

Customers that have the Gold or Platinum €5 or €7 p/year packages I will swallow the initial impact on profits but the new price will be set from the renewal date.

I will then continue like this until January 2020 and look at the market again.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited June 2019

SunshineHost said: y

@AnthonySmith said:

this is an interesting prediction if they do a sale to another company based on pumped income the new owner will try to make it's money back

I got it form wht but here with original link
    https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/announcing-account-based-pricing.656071/page-5#post-2679119

I think OakleyCapital will sell cPanel in the next 12 months before the cashflow starts to decline, based in short-term higher valuation to some poor sod or large player who wants to kill the smaller webhost competition.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@sanvit said:
    Nobody mentioned apnscp @nem? I mean, it's not the best panel but it is used in production (by the own company which created it, but still), license was cheap iirc (I do have a lifetime one so not sure), and the panel itself looked pretty nice, and the dev seems to be actively developing it.

Probably on account the acronym is a bear to recall :blush:

Would be interested in hearing what features are lacking at this point. LET was my pilot launch for taking apnscp public, which by the way thread with free license information. It's up to v3.0.42 with a cPanel import facility coming out later this week.

• johnxenspecjohnxenspec Member, Host Rep

Back when I was a kid, still trying to experiment with programming and web design I was looking into hosting, I signed up for 000webhost (before at&t blocking). Say what you will about 000webhost, back then it was the best I could do. The nice thing was that 000webhost did not make me suffer and gave me a cPanel account. With this new pricing scheme I don't see how a company like 000webhost can survive.

I work for a small hosting company, and we use cPanel. We have a bunch of parked domains on there, and I keep my sites on there too. With the new pricing structure It's going to be cheaper for me to spin up a VM on our servers and install a free alternative.

I'm sad to see cPanel go down this route. A few years ago when they had their 20 year anniversary, they gave out cPanel stickers. We received some of these stickers and I had then everywhere. My laptop, my calculator (I'm a college student so I was still carrying around the classic TI-84 with me) and I still have one on my car. Sadly, with this new pricing structure that sticker will find a new home; in the garbage can.

• ServerServer Member

Has been contemplating to switch to DirectAdmin / CyberPanel for quite a while.

Now is the perfect opportunity, but I hope there is an updated working cPanel importer for DA / CP.

• donlidonli Member

@Server said:
    Has been contemplating to switch to DirectAdmin / CyberPanel for quite a while.

Now is the perfect opportunity, but I hope there is an updated working cPanel importer for DA / CP.

They are currently rapidly working on a GUI importer.

Until that is complete there is: https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58059

Thanked by 1Server
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited June 2019

AnthonySmith said: I tested DA, its lacking, i don't want to offer a second rate service.

What is lacking ? A button theme like cPanel :) but at WHT EasyInternet_Nick claimed:

I've seen a preview of the icon based theme they're working on, you will all love it. cPanel users will feel right at home. "

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770316&p=10154978#post10154978

All of the other cool feature actually come from plugins and additional software

this is from an replay to the thinfoil guy (same that writes here ) when he claimed that cpanel just want their fair share :)

Originally Posted by WindsOfChange View Post
    gosh if you want that just become a provider and take the panel off the market!

Do the math - 1200 a year for you (cPanel) + for server + antivirus (because your software can't do this) + cloudlinux (because your software can't do this) + Jetback (because your software can't do this) + LiteSpeed webserver (because your software can't do this) + backups cost + system admin + technical support + accounts + payment gateway fee + compliance + softaculous (because your software can't do this)

What's left for the provider here?

Almost all of the mentioned already are available on DA... We only wait for jetbackup to say ETA and there is an alternative to them http://directadminbackup.com/ (cheaper) if they delay that too much...

Host that use Acronis will contact them for plugin and R1 Soft has an plugin

From configserver products only MSFE is not ready /working yet https://forum.configserver.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11370

P.S. If want to went full troll I'll say that DA is better cause it is written on C++ :blush: but that will be with the new theme and the additional software