Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 32
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@mpkossen said:
    So, which companies offer Shared Hosting using Direct Admin right now? Haven't seen a whole lot of movement yet these past few days and I'd be happy to give DA a try.

MyW @MikePT
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158695/free-migrations-shared-and-reseller-plans-directadmin-mailchannels-and-litespeed-lscache

• shabsshabs Member
    edited July 2019

donli said: The announcement has apparently been delayed til Friday:

Source?

We have a few cpanel licenses which expire mid year 2020 but we're not going to bother using these unless a few customers insist on cpanel until then.

purchased 4 licenses from directadmin - its the right thing to do!

Thanked by 3level6 lazyt Ympker
  • shabsshabs Member
    edited July 2019

sub'd

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@shabs said:

donli said: The announcement has apparently been delayed til Friday:

Source?

bennyVasquez (Manager of Community Engagement at cPanel) on their Discord channel as reported in the cPanel price increase thread at Webhostingtalk.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@ITLabs said:

@mpkossen said:
    So, which companies offer Shared Hosting using Direct Admin right now? Haven't seen a whole lot of movement yet these past few days and I'd be happy to give DA a try.

MyW @MikePT
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158695/free-migrations-shared-and-reseller-plans-directadmin-mailchannels-and-litespeed-lscache

Thank you mate!!!

Indeed, @mpkossen, I have monthly deals in the offers thread and yearly in the 4th July thread!

Cheers :)

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • shabsshabs Member

thanks for the response.

in all fairness, even if cpanel did revert to previous pricing the community would be stupid to forgive them and not take their business elsewhere.

I think cpanel have proven that they have absolute no respect for their clients, and how many may land up closing their businesses down because of their own greed.

so based on an ethical decision, you' be trusting to trust them again.

We the community should be supporting the likes of Direct Admin and others and vote with our wallets.

• JorboxJorbox Member

@shabs said:
    thanks for the response.

in all fairness, even if cpanel did revert to previous pricing the community would be stupid to forgive them and not take their business elsewhere.

I think cpanel have proven that they have absolute no respect for their clients, and how many may land up closing their businesses down because of their own greed.

We the community should be supporting the likes of Direct Admin and others and vote with our wallets.

Direct Admin changed their pricing too. So I don't trust both.

• shabsshabs Member

@Jorbox said:

@shabs said:
    thanks for the response.

Did they fuck you over with a minimum 250% increase and hardly any warning?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2019

@shabs said:
    thanks for the response.

Indeed, webhosts/customers really would need to walk with their wallets still - which gives any future control panels a clear indication that such disregard for the customers will have negative consequences.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • level6level6 Member

@donli said:

@bula said:
    It appears cPanel is working on an announcement within next couple of hours.

The announcement has apparently been delayed til Friday:

bennyVasquez (Manager of Community Engagement at cPanel)
    We’re hoping to go Friday.

I have no doubt that the "announcement" will be either -
    1) Meaningless apology
    2) Insignificant tweaking in price structure which will do not nothing other than cause further discombobulation in the industry.
    3) Vague promise of tweak in price structure to be offerered at some point in the future

The former price structure surely left money on the table for Oakley, but the low pricing also stifled competition. Oakley removed the lid, and now several independent software vendors are seizing the opportunity.

• level6level6 Member

@Jorbox said:

@shabs said:
    thanks for the response.

That's why we need competing open source projects to keep DA honest.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@Jorbox said:

Pretty different story with DirectAdmin removing life time licenses. Everyone knows they are not sustainable on long term.

But a business needs to protect itself from any kind of external change, indeed.

Thanked by 2shabs coolice
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

I actually now believe that the backlash has been so strong on this that they are preparing to throw us a bone. We will need to wait and see what that is but it may well be enough to change the course straight back to cPanel and away from DA.

My money is on them increasing the volume of users included in the $45 licence.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Friday's announcement will be ...

The end is nigh. Get over it, nerds.

Then more backlash and lovely weekend for LET.

• It's actually a small segment that is publicly whining about the increase. If you look at WHT its the same people over and over again.

The reality is- many sold 3 year plans yet don't have ANY of their vendors on 3 year contracts. So business fail 101. Don't sell long term if your pricing is not assured. The other issue is that cPanel saw tons of resellers in the marketplace, yet was not getting revenue from them. They should have just required resellers to get a license. As much as people say they could have tolerated a 100% increase and other similar comments- the same group of people would have moaned over any price increase.

• kp93kp93 Member

@mpkossen said:

I have 4 months old Direct Admin shared account with @LiteServer , running smoothly no issue at all .

contact them, they provide DA reseller also.

Well I have never saw them advertising for DA Shared hosting, I have one Managed DA VPS with them so casually asked if they provide a shared one, and I got one from them.

Remaining shared cPanel hosting I have from, very satisfied with them

@HostMantis ( Singapore)
    @hostloving ( Ramnode NL )
    @Francisco ( Luxembourg)
    @mikho ( NL)

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited July 2019

according to my numbers, cpanel is already loosing money, here is my graph

cpanel-finnancial

• @Jorbox said:

@shabs said:
    thanks for the response.

Only lifetime licenses and they grandfathered existing ones and gave the opportunity to current users with licences to buy for the same price till September.. yeah, the same right? If cPanel had done this most people wouldn't have think about moving away from them in the short term.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • shabsshabs Member

exacerry @desfire

• desfire said: the opportunity to current users with licences to buy for the same price till September

It may be hard to grasp the concept that companies exist to generate profit since LET companies exist to lose money.

Isn't it kinda sad that single software dominates a whole industry this much.

• emghemgh Member

@deank said:

Is it their fault though that the competition wasn't as good?

Thanked by 1Lee
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

They're shaking in their Bermuda shorts. > @emgh said:

@deank said:

They bought up the competition - Plesk. Is a VC firm cornering the market a good thing for hosts and consumers? I think not.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Stop spreading fake news bro.

They didn't change the price.

Jorbox said: Direct Admin changed their pricing too. So I don't trust both.

>

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2019

level6 said: They bought up the competition - Plesk. Is a VC firm cornering the market a good thing for hosts and consumers? I think not.

Well, how many companies do you see using Plesk as their main web hosting control panel? The real competition was Directadmin for sure.

@emgh said:

Nope, it is not their fault. Look at Intel. They've had no competition for 10 years and jacked up prices of their shit so high. Now, they can't respond to AMD.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • LeeLee Veteran

lonea said: Stop spreading fake news bro.

Umm, yes they did.

A few days ago their lifetime licence was $299 with patches/upgrades forever. Now it is $299 plus $99 every year.

Now reasons aside that is a price change in my view.

• JorboxJorbox Member
    edited July 2019

@lonea said:
    Stop spreading fake news bro.

Jorbox said: Direct Admin changed their pricing too. So I don't trust both.

>

The support were free and become 99$/year, so even if you own the licence you will pay ~9$ a month for the "support and updates" only.