Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 41
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

@AndrewSSD said:

@imok said:

@AndrewSSD said:
    And directadmin should reduce the price for many people too.

LOL.

I wanted to say in their main website the prices is still high but i can see many companies are selling these licenses at $5/Mo

Internal licenses

Thanks for the clarification, As always :wink:

• @AndrewSSD said:

Really. I don’t think so $200/y or $299 for a lifetime licence with support/updates for $99/y. Unlimited domains for $200/y vs cPanel 5 domains for $240/y. The choice is yours.

Thanked by 1AndrewSSD
  • AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

@LeonDynamic said:

@AndrewSSD said:

Really. I don’t think so $200/y or $299 for a lifetime licence with support/updates for $99/y. Unlimited domains for $200/y vs cPanel 5 domains for $240/y. The choice is yours.

Directadmin pricing is far away better than cpanel.

Thanked by 2level6 Shazan
  • JorboxJorbox Member

Anyone can guarantee DirectAdmin from changing their price later.. no one
    And don't tell me that price change are only for new licences because we always get new servers for our clients so that's BS

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jorbox said:
    And don't tell me that price change are only for new licences because we always get new servers for our clients so that's BS

What?

• JorboxJorbox Member

@MikePT said:

@Jorbox said:

What?

They are complaining about cPanel price change Btw DirectAdmin changed the price too and may change more later, locking the price for the old licenses is not enough since we will always need new ones for our new projects and they will have the new price whatever if its locked or not.

@Jorbox said:

@MikePT said:

@Jorbox said:

What?

They are complaining about cPanel price change Btw DirectAdmin changed the price too and may change more later, locking the price for the old licenses is not enough since we will always need new ones for our new projects and they will have the new price whatever if its locked or not.

New licenses may have a new pricing. Existing licenses wont. Its fair.

• LeeLee Veteran

Jorbox said: Btw DirectAdmin changed the price too

There was a clear and good explanation as to why they did that though.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

CPanel changed it for existing licenses and new licenses which was unfair.

If you buy a new server and you need a new license you know where you stand. Hey maybe you have an old one....

This is where cPanel stuffed up.. they changed existing pricing and really ramped it up and got rid of products....

• TinFoil2019TinFoil2019 Member
    edited July 2019

@experttechit it only changes on existing licenses when they expire. So it's not unfair. It's like when gas prices go up. You aren't guaranteed anything without a contact. I presume you will never ever change client prices? Do you guarantee it whether they have a contact or not? I presume you will never ask for a raise ever? After all existing employees should never charge more. The word unfair is so silly

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I agree prices should go up. It’s inflation, but the figures they have applied are pretty high.

Also cPanel removed ‘unlimited’ licensing and to be fair how many accounts you hold on a server is down to you and the hardware not the software your running that wants a piece of every account added to YOUR server.

I like cPanel and I do think the software has worked well,

• @KuJoe said:
    I love how cPanel is touting that they are doing this to reduce the load on servers and penalize hosting providers who cram more than 100 users on a server... meanwhile in 2011 I was able to fit over 1400 active cPanel users on an Intel Atom 330 with 2GB of RAM and 2 SATA drives in RAID1 without any issue. How about instead of raising prices for everybody they do one of the following:

1) Educate hosting providers on how to not be morons. Hit them with fees for support tickets or bill them based on their server loads.

2) Optimize your product to run better in all types of environments. To my knowledge cPanel doesn't give you much control over what software is installed and will install the same stuff regardless of server hardware. VestaCP (for all of it's flaws) at least checks how much RAM you have an dials it back on the features if you don't have enough.

3) Innovate and offer something else. Maybe a stripped down control panel targeted at resellers? Maybe invest in cloud solutions and start selling properly managed hosted cPanel services? Maybe a "host-in-a-box" with the servers, control panel, and billing software all rolled into one?

It's apparent that cPanel doesn't care about the providers or the clients, I just feel bad for the license resellers who are going to get screwed royally by having to scramble to get new infrastructure in place just to monitor the number of cPanel accounts for their clients.

How is this new pricing going to reduce the load on a server? I am not a hosting provider but I do have a couple dedi's and a few vps for my own learning about webhosting and vps hosting. I mean the way I understand it, the only thing that cPanel as a company has to do with it is your server checks your cPanel license against their license server. If cPanel themselves is not running the server that customers are hosted on, then why do they care how much or how little of a load is put on a server. How does it affect cPanel? Shouldn't that be the concern of the server owner how much load is put on the server? Sorry if my questions sound kinda dumb, still learning this stuff.

• mk1mk1 Member

@geekyhillbilly said:

@KuJoe said:
    I love how cPanel is touting that they are doing this to reduce the load on servers and penalize hosting providers who cram more than 100 users on a server... meanwhile in 2011 I was able to fit over 1400 active cPanel users on an Intel Atom 330 with 2GB of RAM and 2 SATA drives in RAID1 without any issue. How about instead of raising prices for everybody they do one of the following:

1) Educate hosting providers on how to not be morons. Hit them with fees for support tickets or bill them based on their server loads.

2) Optimize your product to run better in all types of environments. To my knowledge cPanel doesn't give you much control over what software is installed and will install the same stuff regardless of server hardware. VestaCP (for all of it's flaws) at least checks how much RAM you have an dials it back on the features if you don't have enough.

3) Innovate and offer something else. Maybe a stripped down control panel targeted at resellers? Maybe invest in cloud solutions and start selling properly managed hosted cPanel services? Maybe a "host-in-a-box" with the servers, control panel, and billing software all rolled into one?

It's apparent that cPanel doesn't care about the providers or the clients, I just feel bad for the license resellers who are going to get screwed royally by having to scramble to get new infrastructure in place just to monitor the number of cPanel accounts for their clients.

How is this new pricing going to reduce the load on a server? I am not a hosting provider but I do have a couple dedi's and a few vps for my own learning about webhosting and vps hosting. I mean the way I understand it, the only thing that cPanel as a company has to do with it is your server checks your cPanel license against their license server. If cPanel themselves is not running the server that customers are hosted on, then why do they care how much or how little of a load is put on a server. How does it affect cPanel? Shouldn't that be the concern of the server owner how much load is put on the server? Sorry if my questions sound kinda dumb, still learning this stuff.

I guess the idea is that cPanel wants the end-user experience with cPanel to be good. If hosts are encouraged to keep accounts to a minimum the server will have less load, be faster, and your cPanel experience will be better making cPanel feel like a premium product.

• level6level6 Member

.> @mk1 said:

@geekyhillbilly said:

@KuJoe said:

I guess the idea is that cPanel wants the end-user experience with cPanel to be good. If hosts are encouraged to keep accounts to a minimum the server will have less load, be faster, and your cPanel experience will be better making cPanel feel like a premium product.

Trying to find a grain of truth in that marketing/PR BS is a futile effort.

Thanked by 2uptime lovelyserver
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

mk1 said: I guess the idea is that cPanel wants the end-user experience with cPanel to be good. If hosts are encouraged to keep accounts to a minimum the server will have less load, be faster, and your cPanel experience will be better making cPanel feel like a premium product.

>

but maths don't add up, some web hosts done the math and it makes sense to load up more accounts per cpanel license now as it ends up cheaper than splitting them into moe cpanel licenses with lower number of accounts

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@eva2000 said:

mk1 said: I guess the idea is that cPanel wants the end-user experience with cPanel to be good. If hosts are encouraged to keep accounts to a minimum the server will have less load, be faster, and your cPanel experience will be better making cPanel feel like a premium product.

>

but maths don't add up, some web hosts done the math and it makes sense to load up more accounts per cpanel license now as it ends up cheaper than splitting them into moe cpanel licenses with lower number of accounts

No one "just" uses cPanel these days.

You need Cloudlinux to do things securely, and you probably should opt for Litespeed if you any decent number of users.

So you're close/over $100/month in licensing alone, nevermind the server itself.

Francisco

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Francisco said: No one "just" uses cPanel these days.

You need Cloudlinux to do things securely, and you probably should opt for Litespeed if you any decent number of users.

So you're close/over $100/month in licensing alone, nevermind the server itself.

Francisco

Indeed I feel for web host providers in this situation !

@Francisco said:

@eva2000 said:

>

No one "just" uses cPanel these days.

Francisco

Yep. Gets really expensive.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • intersting to see how many companies make a change due to the pricing change

• DeanDean Member
    edited July 2019

I have to say, I'm pretty pissed at Frantech/BuyVM/BuyShared - not at the fact that they are increasing prices (as I fully understand that), but their attitude to customers that don't want to stay after they've purchased a year plan. I bought on the 1st of July a yearly package. I got notification about the increases (which I understand fully) - but their response that I won't ever be able to order from them again if I ask for a refund is a bit shitty.

"I know Francisco is working on providing DirectAdmin at a more lower cost but if you are still wanting a refund, be advised that you will no longer be able to obtain services with us since it would be obvious we do not meet your needs."

Thanked by 1lovelyserver

@Dean said:
    I have to say, I'm pretty pissed at Frantech/BuyVM/BuyShared - not at the fact that they are increasing prices (as I fully understand that), but their attitude to customers that don't want to stay after they've purchased a year plan. I bought on the 1st of July a yearly package. I got notification about the increases (which I understand fully) - but their response that I won't ever be able to order from them again if I ask for a refund is a bit shitty.

"I know Francisco is working on providing DirectAdmin at a more lower cost but if you are still wanting a refund, be advised that you will no longer be able to obtain services with us since it would be obvious we do not meet your needs."

Karen's stance is that we've already put time and money into things for you and now you're wanting a refund, so we're operating at a loss already.

It's more or less a response to people that were abusing the 3 day refund policy over and over to try to more ore less get free service, or rotate their ip's all the time.

Francisco

• DeanDean Member

I get that @Francisco - but for those of us that aren't making you operate at a loss, then it's a shitty response to have. To ask for a refund after receiving an email over a change of service that was provided isn't unreasonable - and the only alternative mentioned was in that same shitty email - that you were looking at DirectAdmin in the future, with no details.

@Dean said:
    I get that @Francisco - but for those of us that aren't making you operate at a loss, then it's a shitty response to have. To ask for a refund after receiving an email over a change of service that was provided isn't unreasonable - and the only alternative mentioned was in that same shitty email - that you were looking at DirectAdmin in the future, with no details.

There isn't much more in the way of details to give.

We're looking into DA, i've not provisioned anything yet. I hope to have a node this week, but i'm not giving any hard ETA's since we don't know what might get in our way.

Francisco

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

Hosting behemoth Siteground is putting new users on their own panel software instead of cPanel:

Our control panel is named Site Tools and doesn't have an official public name yet which has probably caused the current misunderstanding.

We are coming ot shortly with a statement regarding the new control panel and the fact that we plan on not using cPanel. We decided to work in our own control panel because we believe cPanel is limiting our plans for growth in terms of tools and features. We are confident that our clients won’t miss any functility they are used to, but we’ll gain new valuable features.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1772182
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiteGround

Thanked by 1AndrewSSD
  • Just saw this on WHT: https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770316&page=51&p=10161133#post10161133

FYI, to be able to offer the "Solo" license you have to sign their "bundle agreement" which says you have to bundle cPanel with every server you sell at no cost....or no perceived cost. So as a provider you have to include cPanel Solo, at a cost to you of $10/mo, with every server regardless if someone wants it or not. If your customer does not want it you cannot lower the cost of the server by $10 however. So they have made it where we either have to artificially charge $10 more per month for every server OR we can just eat the $10 per month if we wish to not raise our prices. Lovely choices. This to me makes Solo pretty much a non-starter.

wut.

• level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

@Daniel15 said:
    Just saw this on WHT: https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770316&page=51&p=10161133#post10161133

FYI, to be able to offer the "Solo" license you have to sign their "bundle agreement" which says you have to bundle cPanel with every server you sell at no cost....or no perceived cost. So as a provider you have to include cPanel Solo, at a cost to you of $10/mo, with every server regardless if someone wants it or not. If your customer does not want it you cannot lower the cost of the server by $10 however. So they have made it where we either have to artificially charge $10 more per month for every server OR we can just eat the $10 per month if we wish to not raise our prices. Lovely choices. This to me makes Solo pretty much a non-starter.

wut.

More reason why hosts need to switch entirely to DA or the panel of your choice.

• Switching to DA is dependent on your customer mix- the more you skew to low price services or low price resellers- the more likely you will need to consider DA if you aren't interested in increasing prices or you have sold too many long term packages.

• I'm confused about this pricing. Is it possible to get Premier Fixed 100 plan from distributors like buycpanel at $32.00 ? or is it applicable only for internal licenses ?.

• xaocxaoc Member

@HostXNow said:
    For those who really love cPanel https://ovipanel.com/demo looks to be copied and has Nginx but hey... very creative nonetheless.

It looks awful and broken.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • LeeLee Veteran

xaoc said: It is awful and is broken.

FTFY

Thanked by 1xaoc