Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 444
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• @imok said:
    It has a grill but not a pan, plate or whatever it's called.

https://i.gyazo.com/72679af321bd5b976de94069ef6bb909.jpg

So the pizza goes directly over the grill? Everything will become dirty under it.

Most freezer pizzas can go directly on the oven grate, where they will get a crisper crust. But I often just put them on a baking sheet too.

• @ben47955 haha whaaaaat? Maybe they defrosted the dough before baking? That sucks

• @randomq said: @ben47955 haha whaaaaat? Maybe they defrosted the dough before baking? That sucks

Not sure. But I would recommend to put at least a parchment paper under.

• Shit like that shouldn't really happen, that was some shitty pizza or soaking wet and it leaked before baked? :D

In theory you can put your pizza on the grill, nothing should happen aka #workshere.

• @imok said:
    @fat32 pizza with pineapple?

Pineapple + Jalapeño

Give it a try once... deepdish if possible :cold_sweat:

• The dish came with a sticker and the glue stayed on the dish. So I put it directly on the grill.

• @plumberg said:

@imok said:

Pineapple + Jalapeño

I can't eat spicy food. I do it sometimes but I shouldn't.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @imok said:

The dish came with a sticker and the glue stayed on the dish. So I put it directly on the grill.

I won't trust you again. It's a black pizza now.

• @imok said:

@plumberg said:

@imok said:

Pineapple + Jalapeño

I can't eat spicy food. I do it sometimes but I shouldn't.

The pineapple help balances the heat... if using pickled Jalapeño, you should be OK! They are usually tame unless marked otherwise...

• @imok said:

@imok said:

The dish came with a sticker and the glue stayed on the dish. So I put it directly on the grill.

I won't trust you again. It's a black pizza now.

Shoulda used a higher rack. Is this your first oven or something? :)

• @randomq said: Is this your first oven or something?

It's my first pizza.

• Well yeah the first oven too.

• Wow, that's awesome, congratulations! Sorry it didn't work out.

• also the instructions on the box are for frozen pizza... this one looks defrosted already?

• An Uzbekistani friend lived in our college dorm for a semester and invited me over for pizza once. He didn't have a fridge, and the pizza was sitting in his closet since he went grocery shopping a few days before. I politely declined, which I hope did not offend him too much.

I think he's the minister of finance there now.

• @randomq said:
    An Uzbekistani friend lived in our college dorm for a semester and invited me over for pizza once. He didn't have a fridge, and the pizza was sitting in his closet since he went grocery shopping a few days before. I politely declined, which I hope did not offend him too much.

I think he's the minister of finance there now.

I had a roommate that was keeping his cow milk on the table all day long. No need to say we weren't not sharing the same milk.

• My great grandmother used to keep the milk can inside on a plate with water. She didn't have a fridge.

But that was more than 25 years ago.

• Is it fine I use a cloth to clean this little disk?

• I think I will need a storage VPS after that.

• @imok said: I think I will need a storage VPS after that.

I would suggest getting it before you clean this little disk ;')

Thanked by 1imok
  • LOL

• After you destroy your disk, be sure to keep the magnets, they are fun to play with.

• Is the disk still alive ?

• @ben47955 said:
    Is the disk still alive ?

He couldn't kill it, it fought back. Imok's whereabouts are currently unknown.

• @ben47955 said:
    Is the disk still alive ?

It wasn't working before opening it.

At least that's what someone told me.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Some good news, soon.

Colocation secured for Atlanta, Dallas, San Jose, Seattle, Amsterdam 2, Phoenix, and LA1, NYMetro, Amsterdam still there too. Working on Denver, Chicago, Tokyo, and Frankfurt still. IPv4, we might have a lead. Some E3's have been built. Some Ryzens are being shipped out this week.

• @VirMach said:
    Some good news, soon.

Colocation secured for Atlanta, Dallas, San Jose, Seattle, Amsterdam 2, Phoenix, and LA1, NYMetro, Amsterdam still there too. Working on Denver, Chicago, Tokyo, and Frankfurt still. IPv4, we might have a lead. Some E3's have been built. Some Ryzens are being shipped out this week.

Great news....

Oh and when I say colocation secured, I mean we actually have space there and it's 100% ready, with networking and IPv4, outside of shipping servers in which will be done this week. We're shipping a couple per location with express shipping, with pickup, non-freight, so it should actually be done soon.

So once again, these will go online immediately once Ryzens are received by DC:

• Atlanta
    • Dallas
    • San Jose
    • Seattle
    • Phoenix
    • NY Metro

And these will still require a little more effort on our part but will go online immediately once Ryzens are received by DC:

• Amsterdam
    • Los Angeles

We will most likely no longer need beta testing as the servers have been more thoroughly tested with more exact configurations and we're getting some assistance with the switch configurations from the datacenter's network engineers, so there's less expected to go wrong. However, we'll still provide several months of free service to beta tester. This may go against our promise of filling some of these servers in the order people signed up in and I'm sure it may upset some people in certain specific situations but it will help ensure quicker rollout. I'll still try to avoid this as much as possible but the beta tests will require a lot more manual work to be done in terms of provisioning and I want to prevent that from being an obstacle. If there are genuine concerns here then I'm willing to hear them out and stick more strictly to the original plan.

Right now, I'm working on giving out the rest of the prizes promised. Right now as in today, barring: [1] an outage, [2] being kidnapped, [3] unforeseen errors in scheduled migrations and shipments.

I feel more comfortable answering these now. Well actually, a lot of these ended up being older or maybe I already replied because I went back a lot of pages just in case.

@randomq said:

Nothing major but unironically did have my car break down and at the mechanic for nearly two months now.

@FrankZ said: @VirMach are you still driving to the DC?

And unironically to answer this here, no.

I have to rely on friends or just ship them out which feels weird, shipping it out a few miles. I don't think an Uber driver would appreciate me loading in servers into their car.

@randomq said:

I might have to take the bus...

It's going to be difficult not getting urine on the servers.

@FrankZ said: I feel you. After going through a 8.0 in the '85 and a 8.2 in the '95. Big earthquakes are one of the few things that scare the hell out of me.

We had a 6.1 here about a month ago, at midnight. When I felt the first wave, I jumped out of bed, grabbed the dog and was running for the door with the wife on my heels. It's better to laugh at yourselves afterward then be too slow to react.

@ben47955 said: Got a small earthquake on 14th floor the other days... That bounced a lot.

@FrankZ said: So we have heard from imok in Peru, randomq in Hawaii, ben47955 (iirc in Indonesia), myself in Mexico, and I am sure VirMach in LAX has seen his fair share of earthquakes lately.

I used to actually live on the 14th floor of a building in Los Angeles, I'm OK disclosing this now that I don't actually live there anymore.

Anyway, an earthquake happened maybe a year or two ago and the building is on "rollers" so that felt really, really weird. About a solid minute with a sensation of being on a really tall boat. Definitely better than violent shaking and concrete cracking but it still wasn't pleasant. Made me seriously consider moving even though it's an irrational fear because the earthquake was barely, IIRC, maybe around 4 magnitude by the time it got to my area. I could not see myself being there when a 7-8 hits closer.

At the office, it feels a lot more "violent" even for smaller ones but for some reason I'm OK with that, I guess I just really hate the type that makes taller buildings swing, I'm probably the type to have sea sickness on a cruise. Still not looking forward to the "big one."

@imok said: @virmach why have you forsaken us? ...again

U_______U

I saw this when you posted and I was around, I just didn't want to get myself into more trouble with further promises until I was more sure.

This could still bite me.

@MasonR said: I kinda like the "Awaiting Management" ticket status. Makes me feel like I'm in the VIP lounge waiting to talk to the HMFIC. Like I can hear from the next room over the unwrapping of the Ryzen boxes and the subtle click of being set its forever home in the CPU slot and someone quietly muttering, "soon™... soon™... soon™," over and over again.

This is the most accurate description of that flag ever.

@FAT32 said: Let's start a new series, 100 days of Ryzen.

1 post/image/comment/meme/gif about Ryzen a day, for 100 days or until VirMach deployed their Ryzen, whichever is earlier.

Let's see... July 29th plus 100... November 6th? Challenge accepted.

@VirMach said: Sooooo close. I'm not even exaggerating, and then I had to get sucked into dealing with these mass abusers and trying to figure out customs for Amsterdam again.

Oh, July 12th VirMach, if only you knew.

@FrankZ said: Great news on Frankfurt returning.

I don't know what it is with Frankfurt but it always starts out as not being a problem at all and then devolves into a huge mess. Maybe the datacenters there aren't very forward, I don't know.

But basically, I might have to eat my words on this one, again. Trying very hard to make it work. The quotes we got back were double to triple in the end.

Okay, so I feel like I still haven't found a few comments I really wanted to reply to in the past. I'll use this section for that.

One of the major issues we faced was heat problems. We switched to not using those RAID controllers, but then that meant we needed the heatsinks. Then we began testing heatsinks, which was ... who knows how long ago.

By then we decided to just go back and redo all the builds. This is why I didn't want to speak about it, it was essentially a step backwards. A lot of other things happened but I want to provide an update on what happened with the heatsinks and NVMe.

While we started moving forward with these builds, the motherboard manufacturer we were working with went out of stock and put things on backorder. We had to change some plans, and for Windows use beta BIOS flashes because I still haven't heard back. Then, finally, in August they came out with the stable version of what we needed. Then, they went out of stock/quiet about the other motherboard we had switched over to and in trying to avoid clustering we redid the builds again to some degree. Then, the chassis went out of stock and we ended up half and half anyway, the builds that were supposed to go out before June, plus now other builds we bought afterward and we had to make it work again and redid it.

All this time, we ended up with a bunch of different NVMe SSDs as well as each company kept going in and out of stock. Some of them would overheat differently. Then, some of the same models had different batches with different controllers.

Eventually, we settled on a cost effective (and effective) setup that works specifically with how the fans are, but all the riser cards really sucked in terms of cooling. So we went back, found other ones. These were super rare and expensive. I finally found a supplier, and the package got stuck in limbo... and finally delivered a week or two ago.

So for the final time we're rebuilding these and have it all figured out on what servers go where and why, which NVMe goes in which slot. Painful, but worth it.

For Amsterdam:

DHL was taking weeks to even begin giving us a quote, and then by the time they did we had to go back and start over on something. Rates fluctuated, and issues with our sales tax license in California, still waiting on them, essentially trying to avoid having to pay sales tax AND customs. Our lawyer, too busy. Everyone, too busy. FedEx and others, insanely expensive to ship.

I decided on flying in and just getting it done there as an option, lockdowns. And then I got carried away with everything else but Amsterdam did open up in June and I recently figured this out. We'll see if I continue to have problems sending it out this week, if I do, I'm flying in and just sourcing parts there directly to avoid dealing with customs. Maybe I'm just thinking about it all wrong but everyone I've spoken with in Amsterdam seems to have their own horror stories.

The funniest part about all this is I recently was looking at all the extra chassis we ordered, and somehow, they originated from Amsterdam. I guess for whatever reason, perhaps logistics issues due to COVID, it made sense for them to ship it over from Europe and get it to Los Angeles.

Should have some photos for you guys today, some servers definitely going out.

Thanked by 4FAT32 imok FrankZ randomq