Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 445
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited September 2021

@VirMach said: I have to rely on friends or just ship them out which feels weird, shipping it out a few miles. I don't think an Uber driver would appreciate me loading in servers into their car.

Zipcar / U-Haul?

All I can get from that long post is that those servers/nvmes/cpus/something gonna overheat when actually moved to datacenter rack because... of something totally random that you are not able to re-created in office rack. Like idk, fucking power cable blocking 70% of airflow. Please have backups on day1 :D

Also seen people 3d priting tunnels and putting them inside chasis for better airflow - I hope you seen and explored that?

Also I don't think anyone from 'alpha/beta' tester will be angry that you skipped them and put paid clients first in - we were here to help - if help is not needed the we done :D

GOOD LUCK.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Some prizes allocated. A list of some prizes:

• Some people already received their prize a lot time ago, perhaps without realizing it and it looks like I did mark it down on their account, for now, for the ones that came up. I don't remember what those prizes were, but they were a lot more creative probably.

• Double $100 credits (lazy one)

• Double service durations, based on how long the service duration already was, so 3 years of service turns into 6 years.
    • Doubled total lifetime service term price for all services in store credits
    • Double resources except disk (must reboot.)
    • Double value for highest priced service on account (weird way of saying price cut in half, recurring.)
    • Doubled all non-special VPS services and price cut in half (buy one get one, as in now you have even more services than you need. I would've also done the non-specials but A] this account had way too many services and B] it'd be a logistical nightmare.)
    • Doubled doubled value for highest priced service (quarter price.)
    • Doubled duration of oldest active service (estimated) and double value (half price.)
    • Doubled doubled all downtime credits (4x) throughout account life.
    • Doubled affiliate commission balance (over lifetime of affiliate.)
    • Doubled current/existing store credit.
    • Double/duplicate doubled specification Ryzen for two services, not allocated yet but jotted down to deploy when Ryzen's ready.

Probably $2,000-3,000 worth of prizes allocated. Super rough estimate.

Everyone else who didn't get anything, I either don't have your affiliate ID, or we're reaching further down the list where I'm not sure if you're owed a prize or not and will continue later. If anyone could remind me/make a list of all my promises I can take a second look.

@JabJab said: Also seen people 3d priting tunnels and putting them inside chasis for better airflow - I hope you seen and explored that?

NVMe on the main motherboard design/chassis we're using right now pretty much blows air right on them now. Well, most of them.

NVMe isn't going to fry itself (fingers crossed) as they're generally built to be able to withstand the heat but it does end up throttling performance in weird ways. We do have heatsinks for all of them, but I am purposely leaving some stock in Los Angeles to see what happens (we'll probably use one or two of these as the true "beta" ones) and then do maintenance on them later if it's a big problem. We did do some testing while it was hot, luckily we had a lot more hot days since it took so long with the delays that it's summer. That doesn't end up being the main issue, at least in testing.

@JabJab said: Also seen people 3d priting tunnels and putting them inside chasis for better airflow - I hope you seen and explored that?

This was actually an idea we had but we never got to it. It went as far as exploring 3D printers that can do more exotic materials that would theoretically work better.

We do have plastic airflow shrouds that direct the air from the fans, but it's not custom.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited September 2021

@VirMach said: Doubled all non-special VPS services and price cut in half (buy one get one, as in now you have even more services than you need. I would've also done the non-specials but A] this account had way too many services and B] it'd be a logistical nightmare.)

Cool, I have even more idlers!
    also you sure those counts as non-special? :D

Can confirm some prizes are allocated! VirMach going crazy today. So much text, prizes and photos shortly!

also the hell I am gonna do with those SSD1G, ideas? :D

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited September 2021

@VirMach said:
    Some prizes allocated. A list of some prizes:

Finally :grin: Thanks VirMach! Appreciate the efforts you put in preparing the prizes.

I think I got the "Double service durations" and figured that this is probably the best option in my case. (Not necessary the best value but all things considered, usually I like best recurring price possible but looking at the already insanely low price... what more can I ask for).

Checking the list carefully, I believe the only server with reasonable price in my list is the 500G Storage VPS I have with VirMach, some say the performance is bad but it is working well in my case (and for Storage VPS you don't really need fancy insane IO/CPU)

Now I know why it takes time for VirMach to do it because some of the "Double" prize most likely be too hard to make it work (eg. double resources in my case will break something) or not working at all (eg. Doubling my store credits will be $0 x 2 = $0)

I wonder how did you do the "Doubled doubled all downtime credits", is there some knobs / configs that you can set for each account to do it automatically or just take note of it and do it manually for each downtime? (Same for affiliate commission)

@JabJab said:
    Cool, I have even more idlers!
    also you sure those counts as non-special? :D

Can confirm some prizes are allocated! VirMach going crazy today. So much text, prizes and photos shortly!

also the hell I am gonna do with those SSD1G, ideas? :D

Technically SSD_G series are "non-special" despite the ultra low price (I assume is the 90% and 99% code) so congrats!

If I was you I will renew for lifetime (VirMach's or mine, whichever is longer)

edited September 2021

@VirMach One more question, have VirMach considered NAT VPS? I remember last time you mentioned that due to IP costs that might happen in certain region.

The reason is because perhaps you could offer some 128 or 256MB server for each location as a bundle? IPv4 is most likely the bottleneck here so NAT might work.

I think some of us here would like such bundle (to make own CDN / VPN etc) and see you guys expand to more and more locations :)

(And the bragging rights to say I am idling servers across multiple nations)

• Got the doubled 100$ credit. Thanks Virmach, I'm covered for the next year and in part for the year after.

Thanked by 4FAT32 imok FrankZ VirMach
  • @FAT32 said:
    The reason is because perhaps you could offer some 128 or 256MB server for each location as a bundle? IPv4 is most likely the bottleneck here so NAT might work.

32GB RAM NAT VPS

Thanked by 2FAT32 randomq
  • I'm feeling a bit sick these days. Hopefully it's not covid.

It seems it's a simple flu.

Snot.

• I should start working.

• There is a show on TV named Caso Cerrado (Case closed) from US but in Spanish.

Garbage on TV but it's funny 😂

• @ben47955 said: I'm covered for the next year and in part for the year after.

HAHAHAHA, you fucking wish mate.

Black Friday coming soon ^.-

• @JabJab said:

@ben47955 said: I'm covered for the next year and in part for the year after.

HAHAHAHA, you fucking wish mate.

Black Friday coming soon ^.-

I seriously doubt I will spend more. I will probably cancel few. I may or may not buy again at BF. It would mainly about what got moved to ryzen and what not by then.

• @VirMach - Thank you for the update. I am glad to see you are keeping so many locations. I have been really looking forward to your transition.

Congratulations to all of you who received your double double prizes.

@imok - These days Korean tv seems to me a lot better then USA tv .

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited September 2021

@ben47955 said: I seriously doubt I will spend more. I will probably cancel few.

You motivated me to cancel my idlers! Cancelled everything with 386 MB of RAM, like 11 IPs back to pool! Should have waited and sold them back to @VirMach next year or something. :D

• What are you doing @FAT32!

STAHP!

Thanked by 1FAT32

@imok said:

What are you doing FAT32!

STAHP!

Well I didnt try ClientExec before... but ya maybe I shouldnt join

I forgot it's labor day, nothing shipping out today. One more day won't hurt, right?

Thanked by 2FAT32 randomq

@JabJab said: Cool, I have even more idlers!
    also you sure those counts as non-special?

Hey, I don't make up the rules.

@FAT32 said: Now I know why it takes time for VirMach to do it because some of the "Double" prize most likely be too hard to make it work (eg. double resources in my case will break something) or not working at all (eg. Doubling my store credits will be $0 x 2 = $0)

It was a lot lazier this time to get through them more quickly. If I ever remember what I originally did or find the spreadsheet, I'll share.

@FAT32 said: I wonder how did you do the "Doubled doubled all downtime credits", is there some knobs / configs that you can set for each account to do it automatically or just take note of it and do it manually for each downtime? (Same for affiliate commission)

We used to have an automated system that logged it all. We had some backlash from some (large) customers that didn't like having to do more accounting and some chargebacks for unrecognized charges when it auto-credited (so their $40 bill might end up as $32 and they don't remember signing up for a $32 a month service.) Made it more difficult to process those since we had to try to explain our credit system. Also, it had its flaws with how it credited people to where some people that never were affected by the outage got credited. Anyway, at some point in time the auto-credit script broke, and we were going to replace it with something else, a separate balance that could get transferred over but that never got done so we reverted back to manual SLA requests.

So in this case, we went based off the credit history. We do leave notes both for auto and manual SLA credits so I counted all the ones that had that note.

@FAT32 said: @VirMach One more question, have VirMach considered NAT VPS? I remember last time you mentioned that due to IP costs that might happen in certain region.

Considering it, but have not looked into how to do it with SolusVM and honestly not looking forward to it with how closed-source and un-customizable it is. Plus dealing with abuse reports would probably be a nightmare.

If we did anything like that, it would most likely just end up being IPv6-only. I also like the idea of IPv6-only services. Yes, it will probably not be as useful to everyone but it's a good idea in the long run and helps actually wean people off IPv4. I do know more and more ISPs, at least in the US, are offering IPv6 and more websites and applications are becoming more compatible so there are definitely people that could find a use for it.

@FrankZ said: @VirMach - Thank you for the update. I am glad to see you are keeping so many locations. I have been really looking forward to your transition.

I really do want to continue adding locations, regardless of the additional costs. Some locations may end up being sold out most the time as a result as we'll have to try to not waste any space but there will always be those "primary" locations available.

Since we won't be focused on unnaturally trying to fill a forced location (Buffalo) it essentially lets the user decide where they want it and that's how we'll expand instead.

@JabJab said: VirMach going crazy today. So much text, prizes and photos shortly!

Will still try to have some photos for you guys tonight, I wanted it to be a sort of collage so I might just post them tomorrow morning when packages actually get sent. We'll see. I'll also have some more info on what exactly is going where and some background information on the builds.

Thanked by 3FrankZ FAT32 randomq
  • @VirMach said: I forgot it's labor day, nothing shipping out today. One more day won't hurt, right?

My finger nails can't get any shorter anyway :)

@VirMach said:
    It was a lot lazier this time to get through them more quickly. If I ever remember what I originally did or find the spreadsheet, I'll share.

Did you plan them ahead or do them on the fly? As in see which one fit the current account the most

Considering it, but have not looked into how to do it with SolusVM and honestly not looking forward to it with how closed-source and un-customizable it is. Plus dealing with abuse reports would probably be a nightmare.

Right, IPv6 only sounds like a plan or you can also consider creating a new sub-brand for NAT only (And use other control panel for instance). Gonna collect them all (all locations) :joy:

I really do want to continue adding locations, regardless of the additional costs. Some locations may end up being sold out most the time as a result as we'll have to try to not waste any space but there will always be those "primary" locations available.

Since we won't be focused on unnaturally trying to fill a forced location (Buffalo) it essentially lets the user decide where they want it and that's how we'll expand instead.

So I can put my insane special deals at Singapore... in the future? :open_mouth:

• So you guys are getting deals?

😄

• imokimok Member
    edited September 2021

I ate too much today at night.

I have heard eating a lot at night is bad.

• I think I'm going to sleep now.

• OK have a great day/night

• Good bye

• Good night @imok. Please send pictures of your breakfast and cat.

Thanked by 1imok
  • Hey hey, I received double prizes! I have some pretty great VirBot deals, so had to consult my VPS spreadsheet to be sure. :blush:

"Doubled doubled value for highest priced service (quarter price.)"

I now have a 3 core, 8G, 74GB, 7.8T xfer KVM in Seattle for $14.50/year recurring. NICE!

Thanks @VirMach, and congrats on your progress.

Thanked by 3imok VirMach FrankZ
  • I woke up and watched World War Z. Now i'm late for work, i'm feeling sick today so I'm working at home.

Will take pictures of Perejilo later.

• @FAT32 said:

@imok said:

What are you doing FAT32!

STAHP!

Well I didnt try ClientExec before... but ya maybe I shouldnt join

It's free. Go ahead.

There was a time I wanted to become a hosting provider (when I didn't understand you can't sleep with that job). I claimed my free Clientexec license from CrocWeb and started to develop a payment gateway plugin... Their code was a mess! I moved to Blesta since then.

The plugin is pending for Blesta. I won't have a job next month, it will be a great time to restart the project.