Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 446
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Sorry, a lot going on this morning. I'll try to get you guys an update soon! Still excited getting these out.

edited September 2021

Alright, all set, completed the maintenance and sending out emails that was taking up my time this morning. For the servers, I'm now just adding a few finishing touches, have to get them back out the boxes as I forgot a few things.

• Flashing the BIOS on the older ones that didn't necessarily "need" it to function, it still gets the memory clock up and they have faster sticks in them so no reason to lose that performance.
    • Trying to figure out the rack positions for each location where we don't have a full cabinet yet so I can properly label them, right now they have generic labels. Waiting to hear back from each DC, if this info doesn't come in then I'll send those separately.
    • Cloning/attaching USBs for more recovery options. Over the years with our current provider we found this to be very useful in certain situations versus trying to get KVM attached or an external drive attached.

Shooting to get at least the few servers out for Phoenix and Seattle by this evening and drive over to LA1 a little past midnight.

(edit) Finished cloning the USBs as I was writing this out.

• Virmach diaries.

@imok said:
    Virmach diaries.

Dear diary, today I attached rails to the servers. I kept putting them on backwards and had to redo it. I hated it.

• Hopefully they won't get derailed.

• You can take a break, take a cup of coffee. Too bad you don't have some tamalitos over there.

Then you can continue delivering some good prizes.

After that you continue attaching those things to the servers.

• @imok said: Will take pictures of Perejilo later.

I'm waiting.

Thanked by 1randomq

VirMach Diaries, Chapter Two

Running into difficulties with the rails and BIOS flash. I was going to attach them/have outer rails set up to some degree to avoid having DC hands doing it but it doesn't want to fit in the box. These rails are really finnicky with bad instructions, I'll have to organize the screws and put some labels on.

For the BIOS, I just need to find a very specific cable for a specific monitor. The servers we needed were pretty much prepared/installed, and then we very recently moved our work space for assembling/testing servers, and it's just misplaced. Tried opening a suitcase full of cables we have and somehow cut open a finger and spent the last 30 minutes looking for bandaids, lol. I'm ordering a cable overnight just in case but I have some hope in finding it. This just means I might end up focusing on Los Angeles for the rest of the night and switch over to shipping Phoenix & Seattle very first thing in the morning before things get busy again.

@imok said: You can take a break, take a cup of coffee.

So far today, two red bulls, one coffee, and a 5 hour energy.

• Thanked by 1randomq
  • That is a "tamalito verde".

In Peru you know the food is incredible delicious when the noun has a diminutive: the -ito suffix in this case.

So a delicious "tamal verde" becomes a "tamalito verde".

Or pollito frito. Or chuafita. Or sopita. Or lomito saltado.

Maybe it applies for other countries but I don't know.

Thanked by 1randomq
  • I won't charge for the peruvian spanish lessons for today guys, no worries.

Thanked by 2randomq VirMach
  • Thanked by 1randomq
  • @ben47955 said:

@imok said: Will take pictures of Perejilo later.

I'm waiting.

He doesn't want flashes today.

• Don't sleep!

• That all looks so good. I want some -ito's...

Here we have burritos, and we used to have Taco Bell Chilitos (meat-and-bean-chili and cheese burritos), but I'm told that was a bad word in Mexico so they discontinued those. Very delicious though.

Also Fritos (curled corn chips). And taquitos (little rolled up puffy fried shells with chicken and cheese inside. And Doritos (nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips)..

• @VirMach you're really making progress now! Still, sounds like you are overworked. Are you hiring?

edited September 2021

@randomq said:
    @VirMach you're really making progress now! Still, sounds like you are overworked. Are you hiring?

Yes we are but we are in a weird position right now and will probably wait until some of the colocation stuff cools down first.

Update: I'm still here, not enough energy to haul servers to LA to set them up but just about the right amount to make sure I'm at UPS around 8AM 9AM when they open. BIOS updates were completed, USB attached, rails removed. Had to catch up with other work, so I'm organizing the rails right now and have two hours before they open. Will try to remember to take some photos.

• Fritos doesn't have a diminutive. Neither Doritos.

Burritos has it, but I think that's the real name of the food. You don't ask for a Burro (because that would be a donkey)

But I'm not Mexican.

• @imok I could eat a donkey right now, but it's too cold to get up and make breakfast.

I wish Fr and Dor existed and I had some.

Thanked by 1imok
    edited September 2021

Just soldering this controller back onto a 4TB NVMe real quick and then I should head out.

Yeah, so I forgot to swap out one of the default plastic "heatsinks" on one of them as I was quadruple checking everything and the adhesive sure is strong... but all jokes aside, I'm going to ship out Phoenix right now and I'll be back to fix this Seattle server (replace the NVMe) and make another trip to send those.

:'(

This is probably going to cut into planned migrations so Seattle might have to wait until the evening, I don't see any reason I won't be able to send it out today though.

Thanked by 3FAT32 tototo randomq
  • HOW THE FUCK

• @JabJab said: HOW THE FUCK

:lol:

• I don't understand anything. I don't know much about hardware.

Is it a joke or something?

• @imok said:

Does Peru have good dishes catering to folks not eating eggs/ meat/ seafood?

• Real question is what do you eat.

• @imok said:
    Real question is what do you eat.

not eating eggs/ meat/ seafood.

Vegetarian - anything is good to eat.

• Well... There should be something.

I don't know.

I don't like vegetables, which is bad.

• I remember my mother trying to make me take the vegetables soup... No no no.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I'd like some pepinillos con lechuga with some lemon and salt though

Thanked by 1plumberg