Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 435
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

🤞

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@skorous, I'm answering your question here in regards to 10Gigabit.

We haven't really come to full deciding on what to do with these. Originally, we were going to sell these for more money, but no one really wanted to pay for them. So we did include a lot as free upgrades and specials. Actually, a lot of people might be on 10Gigabit servers and they were sold 1Gigabit and maybe not even notice it.

The thing is, no one really uses the 10Gbit port. Maybe you do, as do a few others in short bursts but outside of a few people, the only people that end up using it are abusers by a huge, huge margin. Bandwidth will definitely end up costing a lot more as a result.

So, we'll most likely (probably) have a few servers with 10Gbit and move those people who really really want it, first come first serve and probably reserved for those who paid for the port speed specifically or were advertised it specifically. Reasoning mainly being the abuse until we can handle it better, and the cost since we're moving to a bunch of smaller servers versus bigger ones. Each server will hold half the amount of customers due to Ryzen maximum RAM of 128GB, so it means twice the amount of 10Gbit ports we'll need. Motherboard/chassis combo ends up being about $200 more expensive per server, and for the line of network switches we were going for, it would be about $300 extra per server.

I think it's important we try to focus on overall network quality rather than artificial maximums that are not used. Each server will have 2x1Gbit (or 2x10Gbit but used as 2x1Gbit) for the majority of them. Since they're half the size, then "per customer" this is up to 4Gbit. A lot of times, the network we are currently on with 10Gbit doesn't end up handling bursts very well in any case and don't really care to fix it. So assuming on the new networks, this trend does not continue, we should theoretically end up with more burst capabilities. I must stress though, that this is for what's planned in terms of what we'll end up with; at the beginning we may only have 1Gbit per server, and 10Gbit per cabinet. As we gauge things and continue adding servers, we'll try to move to 20Gbit to 40Gbit per cabinet and 2x1Gbit per server or if the time comes, switch to 10Gbit motherboards with 10Gbit switches all across the board. I just don't want to focus too much on this right now as we have a lot more information things, in my opinion, to get done first. Let me know if you disagree.

Thanked by 2skorous FAT32
  • Thanks @VirMach. Totally makes sense.

Not an issue for me. It only occurred to me when the transfer special I picked up was on a10gig node.

• JabJabJabJab Member

Ryzen? :cry:

• @JabJab said:
    Censored? :cry:

Don't mention the cursed word.

@JabJab said:
    Ryzen? :cry:

Sooooo close. I'm not even exaggerating, and then I had to get sucked into dealing with these mass abusers and trying to figure out customs for Amsterdam again.

I actually came here to say we're most likely going to start packing E3's with Ryzens as well for Amsterdam and NYC and I wanted to get some feedback.

Right now, we have five different specifications:

E3-HDL - 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, $39/MO
    E3-SD - 32GB RAM, 2 x 120GB SSD $49/MO
    E3-HD - 32GB RAM, 2 x 1TB HDD $49/MO
    E3-SD+ - 32GB RAM, 1x 240GB SSD $49/MO
    E3-HD+ - 32GB RAM, 1 x 2TB HDD $49/MO

Only E3-HDL is currently multiple locations, so that'll change. But it's not really a good idea to cluster everything out so much.

We're trying to go with fully E3-1270v2 but we'll run out of those, so question #1 is anyone interested in something like an E3-1245v2 with the Intel graphics?

Then, #2, for the disk configuration, does 1TB SSD and 1TB+ HDD sound good? Does anyone actually utilize Soft RAID?

And, we're short on RAM and there's a RAM shortage so prices are going up, #3, how important is the 16GB extra RAM and how much per month extra would you value it?

Finally, #4, does anyone want an E3 in Amsterdam or Japan? Would you be willing to pay more for it? If so, how much more? Setup or recurring?

• JabJabJabJab Member

Woah, dedis. That is outside of my budget, not gonna say a word.

• imokimok Member

Oh, dedis. That reminds me of something.

@VirMach said:
    Does anyone actually utilize Soft RAID?

Me. Always.

@imok said:
    Oh, dedis. That reminds me of something.

@VirMach said:
    Does anyone actually utilize Soft RAID?

Me. Always.

Alright fine we'll try to do 2x1TB SSD on all of them.

Storage node has been fixed. Just need to finish setting it up again and run some tests, then do enough pushups and dumbbells to be able to lift the thing.

Thanked by 1RecD
  • @VirMach said:
    Storage node has been fixed. Just need to finish setting it up again and run some tests, then do enough pushups and dumbbells to be able to lift the thing.

@yoursunny will want videos. :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • imokimok Member

The cat is trying to tell me something for the last couple of days.

• JabJabJabJab Member

Looks like Ryzzzzzzzzzzzzzzen sooons

• imokimok Member

@imok said:
    The cat is trying to tell me something for the last couple of days.

I discovered it. He wants a food sachet at 9am AND another one at 11pm. In the past, he used to eat just half of one in the day.

Crazy cat.

• imokimok Member

Today I woke up too early. 6am. So I went to the supermarket to buy a bag of sand for Perejilo, my cat.

Shiny white sand.

I should get a server.

• JabJabJabJab Member

No, happy cat better than server*.

• except Ryzen, ofc ;')
  • So much cursed word here.

• imokimok Member

Imagine you can rent a Ryzen server in the supermarket, like taking a candy next to the cashier... Oh dear...

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@imok said:
    Imagine you can rent a Ryzen server in the supermarket, like taking a candy next to the cashier... Oh dear...

That actually sounds cool :joy: Imagine VirMach hiding some easter eggs in the candy

• imokimok Member

I had a dream I owned a datacenter, a company wanted to rent some servers but I said no because I wanted them idling.

I also dreamed buying some E3s.

• @imok said:

You're supposed to pay for that candy!

• imokimok Member

Really? I just take one and put it inside my pocket. Have I been stealing all this time?

• @imok said:
    Really? I just take one and put it inside my pocket. Have I been stealing all this time?

yes

• imokimok Member

That's bad.

• @imok said:
    That's bad.

Give something to charity and you should be fine.

@randomq said:

@VirMach said:

Haven't got to the pushups yet but I have some initial results on the other thread, forgot to post it here.

Pretty exciting so far.

Thanked by 2FAT32 ZA_capetown
  • @imok said:

It's just borrowing, as long as you return them. Like if you rob a bank but then you spend the money, you were just borrowing it.

Next time you see the cashier ask them if they want some ABC gum. (Already Been Chewed)

• imokimok Member

@VirMach said:

@randomq said:

@VirMach said:

Haven't got to the pushups yet but I have some initial results on the other thread, forgot to post it here.

Pretty exciting so far.

Nice. Does my server have the same speeds? :p

What? You lost the list again?

• imokimok Member

@randomq said: Next time you see the cashier ask them if they want some ABC gum. (Already Been Chewed)

I don't talk to them, only to say "hi", "thank you" and "no I don't want to donate my change, I'm poor too".

Those girls usually feel somebody is harassing them, so I prefer to stay in silence.

• imokimok Member

I don't want to go to the police because a gum!