Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 428
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2021

@VirMach - Wow, you guys sure are making quick progress on the Ryzen preorders.
    Something, something about I could use a free SSD4G for testing LXC container development.

EDIT: added bus

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@randomq said: Yes, it's a little 240 ft² (22 m²) place for someone elderly that didn't have anything.

Not only is it good Karma when you do nice things for the elderly. I believe that the ability to do good deeds for others is what really makes us truly happy.

Thanked by 1randomq
  • @VirMach The amount of progress you guys have made on the Ryzen pre-orders lately is truly shocking. I wouldn't expect that level of effort from anyone but VirMach. It's obvious you are doing your very best. I look forward to many decades of VirMach service as the rollout continues!

I want a free SSD4G, PM sent. :)

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@VirMach Wow, you guys sure are making quick progress on the Ryzen preorders!

Thanked by 2RecD imok
  • Planning beef and bean burritos for dinner tonight. And some home-made white queso.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited April 2021

Surprise, VirMach actually making quick progress this time :joy: Got my stuff

Thanks @VirMach :)

Thanked by 1RecD
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2021

I got mine as well. I LOL at the VPS name "Free-Until-Free-Of-CC"

• @VirMach Wow, you guys sure are making quick progress on the Ryzen preorders.

I live for free things and a free SSD4G something something or free SSD32G until we are free something something would surely keep me alive at least for until it lasts. :-D

And the speed of the free something something is why you stay the best and my nr.1 choice!

And the excitement for the double double something (or is that tripe triple something now :-P ) is what keeps me motivated and happy in life!

And the smile. Always a big happy smile. Virmach makes me smile. I like to smile. :smile:

We are with you all the way. One smile at a time. Go Virmach!

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @VirMach any comments on the Chia cryptoshit? Getting disk-abused already? Deploying new nodes 2 time expensive? I hope you already have all the HDD/SSD bought? :)

• @JabJab said:
    @VirMach any comments on the Chia cryptoshit? Getting disk-abused already? Deploying new nodes 2 time expensive? I hope you already have all the HDD/SSD bought? :)

How? All my VPS have 10GB thanks to VirBot :)

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@JabJab said: @VirMach any comments on the Chia cryptoshit? Getting disk-abused already? Deploying new nodes 2 time expensive? I hope you already have all the HDD/SSD bought?

We have all the drives for the planned node there. We were about to buy a lot more a few weeks ago but decided against it though since we're running out of space. Looks like the prices went up 50% on them now, we'll see how it plays out.

From my understanding though, NVMe SSDs should stay in stock. Those, we have a lot of but we'll eventually run out.

I believe the real bottleneck will end up being CPUs and RAM. I want to start working in 5900/5950X instead, and the specific memory we found performing the best is basically out of stock or low stock everywhere and costs up to 50% more even if it's in stock.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited April 2021

@VirMach said: I want to start working in 5900/5950X instead, and the specific memory we found performing the best is basically out of stock or low stock everywhere and costs up to 50% more even if it's in stock.

Memory for 5900/5950X? What memory? More details please, I just bought 5900X for my desktop :) Now I can get MAD that I did not pay for 4000@CL18 and underclocked it?

• randomqrandomq Member
    edited April 2021

@VirMach said:
    I believe the real bottleneck will end up being CPUs and RAM. I want to start working in 5900/5950X instead, and the specific memory we found performing the best is basically out of stock or low stock everywhere and costs up to 50% more even if it's in stock.

Are you guys tweaking timings and voltage like the Monero miners? I see some of them doubling performance in their CPU hashrate, I wonder if that kind of improved latency makes a real difference for VPS loads too?

• Does I need to look in the Chia thing ?

• @ben47955 said:
    Does I need to look in the Chia thing ?

You might not like what you find...

Thanked by 2ben47955 FrankZ

@JabJab said: Memory for 5900/5950X? What memory? More details please, I just bought 5900X for my desktop Now I can get MAD that I did not pay for 4000@CL18 and underclocked it?

The motherboard caps out with all DIMMs used so it ends up being better to go with timings over memory clock. We're also using ECC.

Basically, out of the oligopoly, Samsung seems to work better for us in this specific build. It's not super major but we've managed to get majority Samsung and then some from other brands using Hynix/Micron chips. Those go a higher clock rate but also higher latency. Theoretically they could be better in the right build. Oh, and then there's dual vs single rank and varying number of chips. We just don't have many motherboard choices that also come "server grade" or whatever you want to call it, we've tested all of them out, this specific Samsung model works out best in the basic benchmarks we ran. We still have all of them and we'll be doing different builds, that's what the beta test is for (and other things too.)

Update on Los Angeles Ryzen, we're still stuck, now on datacenter's end for the IPv4. Hopefully not much longer.

@JabJab said: Memory for 5900/5950X?

We haven't tested any 5900/5950X builds yet AFAIK. We have a 5800X we played around with a little bit and confirming it works with the same motherboards.

@randomq said: Are you guys tweaking timings and voltage like the Monero miners? I see some of them doubling performance in their CPU hashrate, I wonder if that kind of improved latency makes a real difference for VPS loads too?

We won't be doing any tweaking, we're going for stability. Maybe during the beta we will though to see how it all reacts.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited April 2021

Mystical Samsung b-dies that costs almost twice as other. Yeah, outside of my budget :D

Dual Rank / Single Rank is fun too, especially those Crucial Ballistix that were dual, now are single (with same product number!) and you gamble what you buy.
    Ordered one kit hoping it will be single rank (store was sold out earlier, so high changes for Single), we will see.

• So where did everyone get their SSD4Gs? I delayed mine by asking for San Jose, which was out of space, hoping for Seattle now!

• EHRAEHRA Member

The eternal topic :)

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@randomq said: So where did everyone get their SSD4Gs? I delayed mine by asking for San Jose, which was out of space, hoping for Seattle now!

Atlanta. It's a real good one.

• RecDRecD Member

Wow, you guys sure are making SO quick progress on the Ryzen preorders!

want a free SSD4G as a toy~ :smiley: Thanks!

• Haha, forgot CentOS is firewalled by default, so my first act of changing ssh port locked me out %)

Up 2 days and already over 4000 login attempts!

• @randomq said: Up 2 days and already over 4000 login attempts!

I should definitely update my password. 12345678 is probably not safe enough.

edited April 2021

@randomq said: Up 2 days and already over 4000 login attempts!

Assuming you're still on default port, that's actually with us trying to protect you by blocking the biggest attackers. ColoCrossing has the capability to do something about this, but they've basically ignored any pleas to care as much about what's coming in than what's going out. They'll measure packets across port 25 and nullroute even if it causes false positives yet for some reason they shot down our request to filter incoming over some default ports.

So what ends up happening is since most people have some type of basic anti-bruteforce tool that bans a unique IP address after multiple attempts, a lot of the attacks are done through a unique IP address maybe trying once or twice across the entire list of IP addresses ColoCrossing (and others) owns.

We can currently measure this per node, and are working on a system to sync this all across all nodes. Therefore, if one IP tries to connect to let's say 200 different IP addresses we can safely assume it's probably not a customer with 200 services trying to access all of them at once and place some temporary block.

Only problem is that with how huge these botnets are and how quickly they shift, it'd be best if it was all filtered at a higher level. Perhaps we can do more about it in the future.

Until then, the solution is to have users change default ports and/or use keys and most important not to set passwords that can get cracked into within a few hours. We would and did (and do to some degree) change default ports. However, this ends up frustrating many customers and costing a lot of support time, more than you would think.

@ben47955 said:

@randomq said: Up 2 days and already over 4000 login attempts!

I should definitely update my password. 12345678 is probably not safe enough.

You'd be surprised how many customers manage to unironically pick something like that. I'd say 90% of the time a customer is infected or hacked and angry at us, when we finally get them to provide their credentials it's "goldfish123" or "987654321Aa." Perhaps the most sophisticated end up being something like "appledogcat123!" until you realize with lowercase common dictionary words and exclamation it might as well be "adc123!" (not really but it's like maybe an extra day or two at most of being unhacked.)

The worst part is when you enter "appledogcat123!" into howsecureismypassword.net and it tells you that you won't get cracked for 32 million years because for some reason they still haven't thought it'd be a good idea to update their formula to realize bruteforcers have a dictionary list. So then it just paints a false sense of security (but to be fair I'm pretty sure most password strength meters, even ones we default to using, are pretty bad.)

@JabJab said: @VirMach any comments on the Chia cryptoshit? Getting disk-abused already? Deploying new nodes 2 time expensive? I hope you already have all the HDD/SSD bought?

Update...

Motherboard died on the HDD node. Well not really, but it's effectively dead. Replacements getting shipped in, and of course when we go live we'll have replacement parts on hand but this is going to delay that line by about a week.

@JabJab said: @VirMach still IP range issue or something totally new here?

We finally got these pushed through, but again to be clear, a lot of the wait was the previous mentioned reason. This was just a few extra days.

Right now we're having some problems acquiring more IP addresses. For the initial beta it should be fine. Amsterdam may be delayed a little bit because of it as the people we were planning on using weren't interested in doing business with us for whatever reason, perhaps since we offer VPNs (even though every VPS is 2 minutes away from being a VPN.) I suppose VPN companies like faking their geolocations and their users may naturally upset some websites into blocking entire subnets so it's a valid copout with the state of the internet. It seems like everyone likes to take the shotgun approach to do less work.

Thanked by 2ZA_capetown RecD
  • @VirMach said:

@plumberg said:

@VirMach said:
    I don't have anything for you guys other than free SSD4G's for as long as it stays on a ColoCrossing server (non-transferrable to Ryzen, may eventually end. But hey if we continue to delay everything that might be a pretty long time.)

Just comment some encouraging words/lies like "Wow, you guys sure are making quick progress on the Ryzen preorders" that also include something about wanting a free SSD4G and be sure to also leave a private message with just your VirMach e-mail and preferred location. I'll process these for however long I feel, so that's 8 hours to a couple days.

Wow, you guys sure are making quick progress on the Ryzen preorders

I would really appreciate the EasterHut SSD32G that I submitted a long time ago :cold_sweat:

Thanks!

Sure since you're the first person I'll grant your wish of what I assume to be an SSD32G until we take it away from you and make you very very sad when the server it resides on is decommissioned.

O boy! Thank you. Will pm my email

• imokimok Member

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• randomqrandomq Member

@imok said:
    HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• imokimok Member

Are we getting the prizes already? :D

• randomqrandomq Member

@imok said:
    Are we getting the prizes already? :D

Thanked by 1storm