Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback & Suggestions - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feedback & Suggestions

Comments

• wiki down

Error 520 Ray ID: bd6af344c2f02d9
    Web server is returning an unknown error

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We're moving the wiki off the cluster onto another machine, it'll be up again soon.

• You're moving and fixing all the time something :p

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Suggestion:

An actual form for submitting offers for both LET and LEB that has pre defined fields and also a free type box.

This would weed out all the annoying same day VPS companies posting on LET and no doubt save moderation and editor work all around, might also be nice for hosts to see where they are in the LEB queue for planning rather than just BAM!! 100 new orders and 200 new tickets on a OMG WTF MONDAY :)

And obviously LET just gets a once over "yup that is legit" from a mod.

Might also be nice to update the front page of LEB as a lot of stuff it outdated.

Thanked by 2DeletedUser jcaleb
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Suggestion:

An actual form for submitting offers for both LET and LEB that has pre defined fields and also a free type box.

For LET this would require a plugin, for LEB I need to see if the helpdesk supports this. I really like the idea, though! Especially for the helpdesk, because some tickets are an outright mess.

@AnthonySmith said:
    This would weed out all the annoying same day VPS companies posting on LET and no doubt save moderation and editor work all around, might also be nice for hosts to see where they are in the LEB queue for planning rather than just BAM!! 100 new orders and 200 new tickets on a OMG WTF MONDAY :)

I personally tend to give a heads up before I post an offer. Once I'm getting more settled I will make a real queue so I can give a more advance notice to providers.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Might also be nice to update the front page of LEB as a lot of stuff it outdated.

Which parts exactly? I'll do my best to update them soon.

@mpkossen Indeed it would require some coding for a plugin but (and I mean this in a polite but direct way) LEB/T is generating a boat load of cash from ad revenue, it would probably cost $250 tops on freelancer for the whole thing including the independent audit.

I am surprised that you cannot just change the moderation settings on LET so that things in the offers section have to be approved by a Mod though, that was you can just give us a post template anyone that does not use it gets the offer deleted instantly :)

Yep appreciate the heads up but it does not always come and relies on human interaction :) (at least in the past anyway)

Out/Update parts:

Linky
    64MB VPS Debian 5 Guide
    Nginx + PHP + WordPress Installation Script
    Trac + Git Hosting Guide
    Dead Pool Monthly

And the latest forum posts from LET section seems to be gone altogether which is retrograde. also I have always thought the advert placement is a little unfair, the people paying the most are the least likely to be seen as they are well below the fold so a revised ad placement might be good and potentially give new revenue opportunities, that big white space between the title/logo and about lowendbox is completely screaming to generate revenue.

Additionally the "looking for Cheap VPS wither needs to be sorted out and updated or removed, the tag system has gotten so far removed from LEA's system that this simple no longer works effectively.

I don't know.. I just look at a pair of sites like this and think it would take minimal effort and a little bit of funding to double the revenue while improving user experience at the same time.

/novel

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    mpkossen Indeed it would require some coding for a plugin but (and I mean this in a polite but direct way) LEB/T is generating a boat load of cash from ad revenue, it would probably cost $250 tops on freelancer for the whole thing including the independent audit.

I am surprised that you cannot just change the moderation settings on LET so that things in the offers section have to be approved by a Mod though, that was you can just give us a post template anyone that does not use it gets the offer deleted instantly :)

I don't think Vanilla supports that. I've searched through the admin panel but we can only set some sort of pre-post moderation requirement on user roles. Vanilla is weird in many ways...

Yep appreciate the heads up but it does not always come and relies on human interaction :) (at least in the past anyway)

Out/Update parts:

Linky
    64MB VPS Debian 5 Guide
    Nginx + PHP + WordPress Installation Script
    Trac + Git Hosting Guide
    Dead Pool Monthly

And the latest forum posts from LET section seems to be gone altogether which is retrograde. also I have always thought the advert placement is a little unfair, the people paying the most are the least likely to be seen as they are well below the fold so a revised ad placement might be good and potentially give new revenue opportunities, that big white space between the title/logo and about lowendbox is completely screaming to generate revenue.

Additionally the "looking for Cheap VPS wither needs to be sorted out and updated or removed, the tag system has gotten so far removed from LEA's system that this simple no longer works effectively.

I don't know.. I just look at a pair of sites like this and think it would take minimal effort and a little bit of funding to double the revenue while improving user experience at the same time.

/novel

Thanks for all your other feedback. I have added it to my todo list and will discuss certain things with Jon (others I can do myself). :-)

• We're making progress on bringing the old quoting back. Alex updated the plugin for me. I've fixed two bugs in the plugin which should make everything work again. Once the file has been uploaded by Alex I'm going to test it one more time and then enable it permanently!

• I remember LEB used to have some news posted like what the providers are doing (expansion, moving, etc) as well as other projects. Since Liam left, is "LEB Community Roundup" going to be continued?

• Are the avatars supposed to be broken? http://i.imgur.com/CQmCvwQ.png

gsrdgrdghd said: Are the avatars supposed to be broken? http://i.imgur.com/CQmCvwQ.png

I don't see that problem.

Maarten fixed the quote selection plugin, so that's finally returned.

We're going to either fix the other quote method or remove it.

• jbiloh said: Maarten fixed the quote selection plugin, so that's finally returned.

It does! I'm so happy! ;-)

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • @black said:
    I remember LEB used to have some news posted like what the providers are doing (expansion, moving, etc) as well as other projects. Since Liam left, is "LEB Community Roundup" going to be continued?

I plan on doing so, yes. Probably in a couple of weeks or so.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited October 2013

mpkossen said: It does! I'm so happy! ;-)

Yay, the old quote function is awesome!

• DalComp said: awesome

Yay

• ... Gone...

• I believe the plugin for automatically sinking offers is not working?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2013

@rds100 said:
    I believe the plugin for automatically sinking offers is not working?

Are you reading my mind? Just poked internally about this and also got reply from Serverian:

[16:11] <ispirto> if they open the thread on other category
    [16:11] <ispirto> then move it to offers
    [16:11] <ispirto> it wont sink them

Maybe this is it and some hosts (ab)use this to override autosink option. I will observe new posted offers. If every non sunk thread will be "edited" then this is it.

Thanked by 2rds100 DeletedUser

The Wiki is back up, we'll be working to improve the content and layout of it soon. Feel free to help.

edited October 2013

I would really like to see the requirement for double spacing fixed everything just to

get

formatting

correct

any chance?

That is on the list along with fixing the entire post quote plugin.

• Here is a good suggestion... Fix your damn cluster!

• AnthonySmith said: any chance?

I'll see if it's a plugin. If it is, I may be able to fix it myself.

• Wasn't ther some plugin for "one can't post an offer unless he has been registered for at least 7 days and has at least 5 posts" ? Just saw an offer from someone registered today and with zero previous posts.

• @rds100 Probably just a problem with the cluster :)

@Bogdacutuu said:
    rds100 Probably just a problem with the cluster :)

That plugin hasn't been implemented yet.

• @Spirit said:
    Maybe this is it and some hosts (ab)use this to override autosink option. I will observe new posted offers. If every non sunk thread will be "edited" then this is it.

It's not. Bug seems to be elsewhere. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15183/hardcloud-net-256mb-ram-kvm-vps-2-29-your-choice-of-os-1gbps-port is just posted without set to sink and wasn't edited (which means not moved from other category to Offers section).

• ReeceReece Member
    edited October 2013

@Spirit said:
    It's not. Bug seems to be elsewhere. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15183/hardcloud-net-256mb-ram-kvm-vps-2-29-your-choice-of-os-1gbps-port is just posted without set to sink and wasn't edited (which means not moved from other category to Offers section).

There is also other offers happily getting bumped, bit disappointing really when others don't get to stick at the tohttp://lowendtalk.com/discussion/15220/kvm-ovz-myrsk-com-sexy-6-99-deals-free-ftp-dns-de-us-uk-cz#latest

Sorry for bringing you into it @RSK

• Please correct the footer Vanilla link. Now it shows as "http://lowendtalk.com/web/20130502114727/http://vanillaforums.org/"
    Thanks

@Jack said:
    Time on LEB is out...

Come again?

This discussion has been closed.