Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback & Suggestions - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feedback & Suggestions

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2013

Many people time and time again uses LET for ticketing issues.

But that's wrong and the last thing we should do is to officially support this.
    Formal "support" section can be problematic because it would force hosts to check it all the time and serve clients at some third party forum. It would also wrongly justify random clients to expect support here.
    LET should not be replaced for individual host support platform - each host have it's own.
    I am pretty sure that most hosts would agree with this unless they want to serve their clients and deal with their issues on regular basis at some third party public forum.

• @Spirit said:
    But that's wrong and the last thing we should do is to officially support this.

Agree. It's a troll comment on my part. It's annoying that it's being a habit that people use let for support.

• Self Vote allowed in Kickstarter contest?

• @jcaleb said:
    Self Vote allowed in Kickstarter contest?

Moderators aren't directly involved in contest and don't see who is who. More than this would annoy us some suspicious influx of newly registered voters without other posts - and yes, those things we see and can act against.

• serverianserverian Member
    edited September 2013

@jbiloh,

There are awful a lot of people logging in just to post offer in here and most of them don't even reply to questions under their offer thread.

How about this idea?

• People should be able to post offers only if they have at least 10 legitimate posts between offer posts

These are the steps to do this:

• Get a plugin coded that checks post count on other categories for each member before posting an offer
    • Get a volunteer moderator with no post edit/delete etc rights, have only rights to mark people "CAN POST OFFER" if the plugin shows 10 posts since the last offer after checking their posts are legitimate and not SPAM. And this status will get nullified when an offer is made.

I can code the plugin for the community for free.

Thanked by 1Adduc
  • This is a good idea generally, but it could just encourage some people to spam or make useless threads as one from earlier today which i no longer see.

• @rds100 said:
    This is a good idea generally, but it could just encourage some people to spam or make useless threads as one from earlier today which i no longer see.

That's why there is a mod to mark people as "can post offer"

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Thanks to help from @serverian we'll have a system setup to limit offers automatically in accordance with the rules shortly. Big thanks to Oktay.

We've also added a Programming category.

• Imho. 10 posts between EACH offer is too much and it will effectively eliminate some potential competition which don't circlejerk at LET so much. Some hosts are around very long, rarely post offer, rarely post anything at all but usually when they do it's worth to read their posts more than regular bickering among "residental" LET hosts. It seems KIDS have a lot more time to post here than some mature hosts. And of course, residental hosts will love it.
    It's annoying to see so many hosts to use this place just as advertising platform, as marketplace, but sadly many of those who "contribute" much (I am talking about quantity) don't do anything else either.

@jbiloh said:
    we'll have a system setup to limit offers automatically in accordance with the rules shortly.

Those are the key words. Accordance with the rules. Rules can be changed, improved with reconsidering all potential impacts but enforced on a fly by third party is never good idea.

• @Spirit said:
    Imho. 10 posts between EACH offer is too much and it will effectively eliminate some potential competition which don't circlejerk at LET so much. Some hosts are around very long, rarely post offer, rarely post anything at all but usually when they do it's worth to read their posts more than regular bickering among "residental" LET hosts. It seems KIDS have a lot more time to post here than some mature hosts. And of course, residental hosts will love it.
    It's annoying to see so many hosts to use this place just as advertising platform, as marketplace, but sadly many of those who "contribute" much (I am talking about quantity) don't do anything else either.

Please show me 2 of those mature hosts that submits unique exclusive offers on LET that don't post regularly.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2013

unique exclusive offers

Did I said that? That's your invention but of course, I can do that easily. People like Martin from AllSimple and jeff_lfcvps from LFCVPS.
    I can also show you someone who constantly open "sale-testmyKVM-companyannoucement-marketresearch-testmyip-testmyVZ-sale-sale-sale-letstalkaboutmycompany-dontforgetmeforonesingleday" threads or atleast he did till I started to complain. Does it sound familiar?

My point is that there's a lot of crap going on on daily basis from regular hosts which will under YOUR conditions qualify to post offer on regular basis but effectively limited some other who don't circlejerk so much around. Like it or not I see too much things going lately in background to belive in altruism of some people.

• @Spirit said:
    I can also show you someone who constantly open "sale-testmyKVM-companyannoucement-marketresearch-testmyip-testmyVZ-sale-sale-sale-letstalkaboutmycompany-dontforgetmeforonesingleday" threads or atleast he did till I started to complain. Does it sound familiar?

Those all were legitimate threads. I didn't stop because you asked me to. I didn't have anything to post about those at the time I didn't post. I didn't post any single thread that was attempted to drive attention to my brands. But yeah, you can believe what you want to believe.

Okay. If you want these kind of members and threads, it's all good:

http://lowendtalk.com/profile/comments/70235/Shockbyte_J
    http://lowendtalk.com/profile/comments/70445/SwiftNetworking
    http://lowendtalk.com/profile/comments/69457/allgood
    http://lowendtalk.com/profile/comments/68750/harisp
    http://lowendtalk.com/profile/comments/67743/hcreed

• Yes, I know it's a lot of them. Just like a lot of those who talk a lot but hardly contribute to anything.
    But you missed my point. Quantity of writings have nothing to do with quality. And I am not talking about spam posts. Every rule change have some impacts. On beginning it seems like noble idea but after some reconsideration I am not convienced and I posted arguments why.
    Plugin.. yes of course. Generally not a bad idea but with more careful implementation taking into account all potential impacts not just venting out some less (or non) contributable members and of course a lot of competition.

• @Spirit said:
    Yes, I know it's a lot of them. Just like a lot of those who talk a lot but hardly contribute to anything.
    But you missed my point. Quantity of writings have nothing to do with quality. And I am not talking about spam posts. Every rule change have some impacts. On beginning it seems like noble idea but after some reconsideration I am not convienced and I posted arguments why.
    Plugin.. yes of course. Generally not a bad idea but with more careful implementation taking into account all potential impacts not just venting out some less (or non) contributable members and of course a lot of competition.

Yes, that's why a moderator should check the last 10 post of the members and mark them as "can post offer". That's the whole idea to avoid spam/useless comments just to get their offer posted for one more time.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2013

This doesn't change even a bit things I posted above. It would still prevent many people who post their offer here and there and comment something here and there unless they drasticly change their appearance at LET to earn "verified by.." status every time from beginning.
    Not to mention poor guy, moderator, with people like you on his neck all the time.

• I think 10 posts between offers would be too much.

I can understand you wanting people to participate and I try to post when I have time and when I am able to post offers, but I try to avoid getting involved in drama and don't want to just make filler posts.

I have a feeling though that it will create more useless posts.

• Just make offers moderated in general, no amount of posts between offers.

They just need a moderator to review them first. Get rid of the fucks that do nothing but get the posts to make an offer, then fuck off every week besides coming back to post their offer though.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited September 2013

There is broken link on the breadcrumb for categories...

Thanked by 2jbiloh MrObvious

@DalComp said:
    There is broken link on the breadcrumb for categories...

We'll get that fixed.

As for the thanks feature, I don't see anything wrong.

• @jbiloh said:
    We'll get that fixed.

I sent you that fix when you were on vacation ;)

@MrObvious said:
    I sent you that fix when you were on vacation ;)

Doh, please send it again and I'll have it corrected finally.

• Okay, sorry if this was talked about, but for me wiki.lowendbox/talk.com isn't working, and when I go to lowendtalk.com/wiki it doesn't look formatted correctly at all. Am I missing something? Is something totally broken on my end?

We're upgrading the memory of the cluster nodes tomorrow. Until that is complete the wiki VMs have been disabled. Sorry for the inconvenience.

@Zen said:
    Who broke the thanks system, and why is this superior cluster crappier than when LET + LEB ran on a 4GB KVM.

P.S nice redirect loop

We'll have all the quirks ironed out in the next day or too. Sorry for the hiccups.

• When are you planning to enable the plugins?

• @serverian said:
    When are you planning to enable the plugins?

And override LET rules the way YOU imagined they should be?

• serverianserverian Member
    edited October 2013

@Spirit said:
    And override LET rules the way YOU imagined they should be?

I've coded 3 different plugins for 3 different things. First 2 are within the LET rules. Also, Jon and Liam asked me to code all 3 of them. I just didn't send them to them and asked install them.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Jack said:
    What plugins?

don't ask. they have to kill you.

This discussion has been closed.