Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSolutions Shrinking Disk Space - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSolutions Shrinking Disk Space

Comments

• cociucociu Member

AnthonySmith said: running ioping for 10 seconds and dd tests on a pure storage node just boggle my mind..

Question: Can you store data on it at a reasonable rate?

Answer: Yes, case closed.

Question: Are you using it as a compute node?

Answer: Yes, well you need to learn the true cost of things and get serious, case closed.

I don't think there are any other scenarios to cover really.

seems many of them is confunding this terms ... any way thanks for be more explicated than me.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • drdrakedrdrake Member

@cociu said:

AnthonySmith said: running ioping for 10 seconds and dd tests on a pure storage node just boggle my mind..

Answer: Yes, well you need to learn the true cost of things and get serious, case closed.

seems many of them is confunding this terms ... any way thanks for be more explicated than me.

I/O latency is acceptable now. The only important thing is the data safety. If the data is safe, I don't mind small problems.

• cociucociu Member

drdrake said: I/O latency is acceptable now. The only important thing is the data safety. If the data is safe, I don't mind small problems.

did we lost something ? no ... i know what data lost meen so i had prefere support all bllaming people but not lost any data .... so no worry . Also please take backup time to time to be more safe.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

cociu said: Also please take backup time to time to be more safe.

Sorry, had to :)

Anyway if there's one thing that @cociu has shown in this thread is that data integrity is a big concern for him. He's definitely more patient that I would have been with the whole fsck fiasco to make sure no data was lost/corrupted.

• @cociu said:

drdrake said: I/O latency is acceptable now. The only important thing is the data safety. If the data is safe, I don't mind small problems.

did we lost something ? no ... i know what data lost meen so i had prefere support all bllaming people but not lost any data .... so no worry . Also please take backup time to time to be more safe.

Hello

• cociucociu Member

MasonR said: He's definitely more patient that I would have been with the whole fsck fiasco to make sure no data was lost/corrupted.

withowt joking , i have lost about 4 years ago all my data and was not a placer .. so yes i do all my best to recuperate when is some problem. But eaven one is try unfortunatly somethimes is imposible.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • well, if works, dont fix it!

• 127001127001 Member
    edited May 2017

Can I still get one of these shrinking 1TB+ servers? If so, @cociu or someone, will you post the link. I'm retarded and cannot find it. I have one of the 400GB servers (which did not shrink). ...so if the sale of these has ended I'm looking for an exception to be made due to my being a current customer, pretending that's a good reason.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the link.

• I think that now @cociu knows not to dip the servers in cold water.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    running ioping for 10 seconds and dd tests on a pure storage node just boggle my mind..

Thanks for the reminder that, so it seems, was urgently needed.

A disk benchmark for a storage server, particularly a cheap one, is not dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[my disk] ...but rather scp fatfile me@myserver:/... or ftp

0.5 MB/s writing is low but acceptable, 1 MB/s is really OK and anything faster is great.
    For a normal price storage server double the numbers. Keep in mind that an 8 - 16 Mbit(!) DSL with an Mbit or so upstream is still the typical end user connectivity.

Which btw. is about the same as can be expected from a cheap cloud remote storage service. If you need a multi-MB/s storage backend then look for an adequate professional level offer.

• Box has been provisioned and works very good for what I rented for .
    Seen spikes of 200 mbits.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MasonR said: fsck fiasco

I wish this was a BuyVM story because Fsck Fiasco @Francisco has a nice ring.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

wish?

Literally Hitler.

Francisco

• DarioXDarioX Member

@bsdguy said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    running ioping for 10 seconds and dd tests on a pure storage node just boggle my mind..

Thanks for the reminder that, so it seems, was urgently needed.

A disk benchmark for a storage server, particularly a cheap one, is not dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[my disk] ...but rather scp fatfile me@myserver:/... or ftp

0.5 MB/s writing is low but acceptable, 1 MB/s is really OK and anything faster is great.
    For a normal price storage server double the numbers. Keep in mind that an 8 - 16 Mbit(!) DSL with an Mbit or so upstream is still the typical end user connectivity.

Which btw. is about the same as can be expected from a cheap cloud remote storage service. If you need a multi-MB/s storage backend then look for an adequate professional level offer.

Pretty sure I have the right to run whatever benchmark I want on my VPS. I also never said that the result is bad, just that it could be better (as I have storage VPS that perform better), but given the price the VPS is great, even considering the long downtime. I'm not sure why you feel the need to play the great defender of Marius, even if there is nothing to defend. Do the benchmarks you want on your VPS and let me do the ones I prefer on mine. Same to Mr. Smith. Cool? Great!

• Mine got provisioned after the wait, and is filling up nicely .

Transferring in around 500GB data, at close to 15MB/sec from my time4vps hosts.

There's practically no iowait on mine, if I'm just rsyncing data in.

I hope there are lots more clients who don't have any problems with such typical use-cases .

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

DarioX said: I'm not sure why you feel the need to play the great defender of Marius, even if there is nothing to defend. Do the benchmarks you want on your VPS and let me do the ones I prefer on mine. Same to Mr. Smith. Cool? Great!

Sure fair enough, you are absolutely allowed to run any benchmark you want, but when you judge a fish by how high it can fly, don't be surprised if people question your judgment :)

I don't think I am a 'great defender' I have publicly slammed him how ridiculous his DMCA free adverts are when it comes to hurting performance for other customers, I just find the basis for judgment in 'some' of this thread to be baseless.

Anyway.. nothing personal.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AnthonySmith said:

DarioX said: I'm not sure why you feel the need to play the great defender of Marius, even if there is nothing to defend. Do the benchmarks you want on your VPS and let me do the ones I prefer on mine. Same to Mr. Smith. Cool? Great!

Sure fair enough, you are absolutely allowed to run any benchmark you want, but when you judge a fish by how high it can fly, don't be surprised if people question your judgment :)

I don't think I am a 'great defender' I have publicly slammed him how ridiculous his DMCA free adverts are when it comes to hurting performance for other customers, I just find the basis for judgment in 'some' of this thread to be baseless.

Anyway.. nothing personal.

It's possible that @DarioX was reacting to @bsdguy ...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

angstrom said: It's possible that @DarioX was reacting to @bsdguy ...

erm, entirely possible, if his name is also "Mr Smith"

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@AnthonySmith said:

angstrom said: It's possible that @DarioX was reacting to @bsdguy ...

erm, entirely possible, if his name is also "Mr Smith"

Although most of @DarioX's comment seemed to be addressed to @bsdguy, you're right, a certain Mr. Smith was referred to at the very end, which I didn't note properly. So you're right. :-)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@raindog308 said:

wish?

Literally Hitler.

Hitler learns his HostSolutions disk has shrunk.

Hitler learns that Vultr is out of $2.50 VMs.

So many comedy possibilities, so little time...

• williewillie Member

We need a Downfall parody.

• XenosXenos Member

Still shrinking...

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs 561G 63G 498G 12% /
    none 512M 4.0K 512M 1% /dev
    none 103M 60K 103M 1% /run
    none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    none 308M 0 308M 0% /run/shm
    none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs 421G 63G 358G 15% /
    none 512M 4.0K 512M 1% /dev
    none 103M 60K 103M 1% /run
    none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    none 308M 0 308M 0% /run/shm
    none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user

• cociucociu Member
    edited May 2017

Xenos said: Still shrinking...

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/simfs 561G 63G 498G 12% / none 512M 4.0K 512M 1% /dev none 103M 60K 103M 1% /run none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock none 308M 0 308M 0% /run/shm none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/simfs 421G 63G 358G 15% / none 512M 4.0K 512M 1% /dev none 103M 60K 103M 1% /run none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock none 308M 0 308M 0% /run/shm none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user

i have told xxxx time , we still move some vms from local array to 3rd one ... in 2-3 days will be all ok. Please understand was a multiple errors , first mall alocation-distribution between arrays , seconf vel7 was faill and was tard 4-5 day in fsck , now we continue with moving data ..... i want to resolve it asap but is imposible.

• XenosXenos Member

Sorry @cociu I haven't been following the entire thread.

• cociucociu Member

Xenos said: Sorry @cociu I haven't been following the entire thread.

ok , not a problem , also you have all reason to complain in this point ,,,, unfortunatly was happened and now we work to fix this. Also is only your array in this condition ... but once is done will be all in good condition , meantime you can use the vps withowt any risk

• @cociu said:

Xenos said: Sorry @cociu I haven't been following the entire thread.

ok , not a problem , also you have all reason to complain in this point ,,,, unfortunatly was happened and now we work to fix this. Also is only your array in this condition ... but once is done will be all in good condition , meantime you can use the vps withowt any risk

Cociu, I really have to say this: I admire your patience and persistance. I would already have been slamming my head against a wall a few days ago. Thumbs up.

(The nice part of these ongoing problems: you'll still learn a lot from it and you'll be able to intervent such problems next time!)

Sorry, but I had to say this. I know, it's not nice when you're a customer and have a problem with your service. But knowing the hosting provider is solving the issue, is actually much nicer than having such guys that blame customers.

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Only way to stop the shrinking is to use it.

• PwnerPwner Member

@corbpie said:
    Only way to stop the shrinking is to use it.

Except using it is what caused the shrinking in the first place.

• DennisdeWit said: Sorry, but I had to say this. I know, it's not nice when you're a customer and have a problem with your service. But knowing the hosting provider is solving the issue, is actually much nicer than having such guys that blame customers.

I admire the positivity here. This is what LET is really about: smart posts, encouraging words, beautiful sisters...

• cociucociu Member

jiggawattz said: beautiful sisters...

where is this sisters ?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
This discussion has been closed.