Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSolutions Shrinking Disk Space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSolutions Shrinking Disk Space

The VPS had 1TB when delivered. It was 65GB this morning and now it's 60GB. Curious if anyone else is seeing this. I ticketed them this morning regarding it.

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Did your free space shrink or your total space?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

This is a known issue (I believe with their provisioning module), where too many users were put on the same node with the result being that you're eating into each other's disk space. Just open up a ticket, they'll get you sorted.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • NihimNihim Member
    edited May 2017

Same here, it will go down to the exact amount of used disk you have.

Waiting till cociu's team fixes (have a left a ticket) by moving users to other nodes I guess.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • XenosXenos Member

@brueggus said:
    Did your free space shrink or your total space?

total space

• XenosXenos Member

@MasonR said:
    This is a known issue (I believe with their provisioning module), where too many users were put on the same node with the result being that you're eating into each other's disk space. Just open up a ticket, they'll get you sorted.

That's what I was afraid of. I opened a ticket 6 hours ago.

• AmitzAmitz Member

A typical OpenVZ overselling operation.

• edited May 2017

Mine is also down from 1024GB 2 days ago to 21GB now (100% usage) - going to open a ticket with them now.

Edit: should note I'm aware I should open a ticket before complaining publically, although this thread alerted me to the issue, hence my response before going to a support ticket.

• @Xenos said:

@MasonR said:

That's what I was afraid of. I opened a ticket 6 hours ago.

6 hours? Wait up to 24 hours.

• Just checked my 1TB VPS its now shrunken to 679GB

• PwnerPwner Member

That awkward moment when everyone actually uses their allocated disk space and overselling starts looking bad.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

Well, it's their storage VPS.. It's rather obvious that the use case makes almost everyone to max out their disk space. for 1TB to shrink into 679GB, who knows how many TB they are over the limits..

• YuraYura Member

@Pwner said:
    That awkward moment when everyone actually uses their allocated disk space and overselling starts looking bad.

Brilliant. Time to change subject and redirect blame to customers, modules or something.

• cociucociu Member
    edited May 2017

Xenos said: The VPS had 1TB when delivered. It was 65GB this morning and now it's 60GB. Curious if anyone else is seeing this. I ticketed them this morning regarding it.

what we have told in the tikets : We move some arrays to balance some abusers , this will take some hours and lather all will be back to normaly. Due of huge quantity of orders in the same day we have not arrange verry good the vps in to the nodes. So we work now from the last 3-5 days to balance ram and processor .

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Xenos said: t was 65GB this morning and now it's 60GB.

acidpuke said: Just checked my 1TB VPS its now shrunken to 679GB

Live stream of the HostSolutions datacenter:

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2017

@cociu said:

>

So we work now from the last 3-5 days to balance ram and processor .

So when you run out of storage, you gonna upgrade memory and processor?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Neoon, I think he was saying that their working on addressing the abusers first (spread heavy ram and processor users among their nodes) for the past few days, and then they'll address the storage issues.

• And in a few weeks/months everyone is wondering why their services with them aren't working anymore.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • More memes please

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@dedicados said:
    More memes please

I do not recommend googling for "meme abuse".

Thanked by 2raindog308 dwtbf
  • hahaha lol

Thanked by 2netomx dwtbf
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

I wanted to say "The Incredible Shrinking Disk", but this comes close:

• starring: cociu

Thanked by 3angstrom netomx tux
  • ChronicChronic Member

Mine shrunk to 879GB. I am not currently using the VPS so I don't mind waiting for it to get fixed, but I have to admit that so far the first impression hasn't been very good. First there were network speed issues, now this. Granted they are working to correct it, but I feel like these things should've been planned ahead of time so that the customers don't have to suffer because of it. There was no rush to make an offer, I'm sure the community would've been just as happy buying a great storage deal if the company took longer to prepare.

• Mine shrink to 90GB for 400GB offer

• @quick said:
    Mine shrunk to 18cm

Cold boot?

Thanked by 2brueggus netomx
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Delete some stuff and you will have more space. If the shrinking disk gets to 1GB, then you can delete all the logs. But whatever you do, do not delete the kernel, or you won't have anything to reboot.

Towards the end, if shrinking continues, you can delete the kernel too. Who cares about rebooting anyway because it's Linux and we all know it's extremely stable.

Don't worry about backups. There will always be space... (beyond this planet).

Thanked by 2Jinx Francisco
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@default said:
    Delete some stuff and you will have more space. If the shrinking disk gets to 1GB, then you can delete all the logs. But whatever you do, do not delete the kernel, or you won't have anything to reboot.

Towards the end, if shrinking continues, you can delete the kernel too. Who cares about rebooting anyway because it's Linux and we all know it's extremely stable.

The service is OpenVZ or kvm?

• defaultdefault Veteran

@jcaleb said:

@default said:

The service is OpenVZ or kvm?

Hostsolutions provides both.

This discussion has been closed.