Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

@KermEd said:

@user37489 said:

I'm certain I've made my position on BuyVM's ability as a VPS host very clear.

My understanding is you are interested in buying their services, and on their website trying to price it out. I strongly recommend going with Fran, very high reliability.

You guys really do deserve each other. Either way, not my problem anymore, and I've asked the mods many times now to delete this thread because I've already received my refund.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2021

@jar said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@stefeman said:

@dahartigan said:

@user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

@user37489 said: Really? What about losing my VPS in Vegas is "safe, secure, environment for our customer infrastructure and our mission-critical services?"

https://buyvm.net/datacenters/

Queue the posts about back ups and how everything is my fault, and how BuyVM is amazing.

The facility is safe, secure, for customers equipment. There's minimal/no fears of someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things. There's full alarms, multi layer badge checks.

Again, none of that is incorrect.

Francisco

Oh great, because those were my primary fears. You can also add safe from tsunamis on that list too.

What kind of cheap host is this that people even think about someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things?

Turns out, no one needed to steal anything when your cheap NVMe drives will just fail on their own.

This isn't the only time this happened either. Others have commented it happened to them with you on different occasions.

I'm almost 100% sure there's some stockholm syndrome with most buyvm customers, they blindly defend him when he fucks up like this and then start blaming everyone and everything else.

I really can't see what the appeal is, aside from the fact he hosts a lot of shady shit on his servers and that naturally appeals to the scum of the earth who wish to host such things.

I shudder to imagine what disgusting things Fran potentially has in his possession on those drives in his kitchen given his history.

Based on this post and the past ones, how come I instantly think that you are behind those defaming frantech emails. The writing attitude seems similar even when the typing does not.

We should really have a new drama thread for this, but @tinyweasel's has shown the maturity of a 16-year old, but his English is too old fashioned (for the lack of a better word) and indicative more of a 30-year old, the same as @dahartigan. Both @dahartigan and @tinyweasel are Australian. Hmmm....

You're putting these pieces together too quickly, I highly suggest backing down on it if your account can be connected to your identity in any way.

Yeah, nobody wants be a subject of some lunatic's emails afterall. Besides thinking it now, no way dahartigan would be so stupid with his otherwise clever/snappy responses. Its fun to speculate though. Who among the "haters" it really is?

Thanked by 2jar dahartigan
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Note that Romania has laws against all the illegal activities just like US, including copyright. Is not the Dracula's country or no man's land as you thought.

Thanked by 4jar bulbasaur mike1s tux
  • @user37489 said:

@KermEd said:

@user37489 said:

My understanding is you are interested in buying their services, and on their website trying to price it out. I strongly recommend going with Fran, very high reliability.

You guys really do deserve each other. Either way, not my problem anymore, and I've asked the mods many times now to delete this thread because I've already received my refund.

We don't want to delete the thread, just to have it locked. That way we can all see what happened, but it won't keep getting dredged back up.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said:
    You guys really do deserve each other. Either way, it's not my problem anymore, and I've asked the mods many times now to delete this thread.

That isn’t how LET works… we get to keep posts like this to read and judge forever. It keeps things interesting. :). LET is like a bunch of family members you never wanted, probably don’t even like, but often enough wake up to every now and then. The good news is we don’t often judge each other too long for petty stuff… imho anyway… unless it is Thursday. Then that war shall wage forever!

• @jar had post number 420 btw

Thanked by 3jar HalfEatenPie Erisa
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

LET never deletes threads that bring traffic.

And they haven't had a thread like this in MONTHS. No way in the Jar that they will get rid of this juicy thread.

• @user37489 said:

@KermEd said:

@user37489 said:

Juicy drama like this will never get deleted.

• The legend of FranTech and the FRIED CHICKEN thread will continue long after its closed, much like @cociu and the great involucration.

edited November 2021

@dahartigan said:
    The legend of FranTech and the FRIED CHICKEN thread will continue long after its closed, much like @cociu and the great involucration.

Hey your signature with RacknerdTracker.com looks interesting.

From my paypal billing agreement with Frantech, I sent them $1,044 since January (multiple Windows workstations earlier in the year), including the $60 refund today.

From RacknerdTracker.com, looks like I could have gotten a ton more for that spending, and now I know how to backup Windows VPS externally.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • What’s a few dollars between friends?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @stevewatson301 said:
    We should really have a new drama thread for this, but @tinyweasel's has shown the maturity of a 16-year old, but his English is too old fashioned (for the lack of a better word) and indicative more of a 30-year old, the same as @dahartigan. Both @dahartigan and @tinyweasel are Australian. Hmmm....

LowendWars

edited November 2021

I've come to the conclusion that the VPS hosting space is strongly lacking in any consumer protection because VPS hosts are allowed to falsely advertise on their website with impunity.

The overwhelming consensus here is that BuyVM losing my VPS is actually my fault for not backing up my data. Likewise, others have pointed out losing data with providers like AWS.

When a car has problems, there are recalls. When a bank has problems, there's FDIC. When VPS host has problems, there's no consumer protection at all holding VPS providers accountable. Not only that, there's actually the opposite of it, where the VPS community is so conditioned to being abused by poor VPS hosts that they actually defend them... Almost like some bizarre hazing ritual... like hey, back in my day I lost all of my data and now I do back ups, and you're new so you also lost all your data because you didn't have back ups, and should have known that the VPS industry is actually "subjective website content".

Hosting providers need to be regulated, because from my communications and experiences recently, it really is the wild west here.

Thanked by 3default RedSox tux
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@user37489 said:
    ...I've asked the mods many times now to delete this thread because I've already received my refund.

Translation: you don't give or care a flying f_ck about the LET team and all of us users, for you LET only serves one purpose, YOURS, and as soon as you've got what you want (and let off some emotional steam along the way), LET can explode along with all of us.

@admins

counter proposal: Do not delete the thread but rather the acutely egocentrical OP-bitch.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@user37489 said:
    I've come to the conclusion that the VPS hosting space is strongly lacking in any consumer protection.. The overwhelming consensus here is that BuyVM losing my VPS is actually my fault for not backing up my data. Likewise, others have pointed out losing data with providers like AWS.

When a car has problems, there are recalls. When VPS host has problems, there's no consume protection at all holding VPS providers accountable. Not only that, there's actually the opposite of it, where the VPS community is so conditioned to being abused by poor VPS hosts that they pile on.

Hosting providers need to be regulated, because from my communications and experiences recently, it really is the wild west here.

Are you really that stupid or is it just an out of control itching to continue bitching?

NO, @Francisco's node/VM problems is NOT your fault.
    But yes, loosing your data is your fault.

Thanked by 2corbpie skorous
  • @user37489 said:
    I've come to the conclusion that the VPS hosting space is strongly lacking in any consumer protection because VPS hosts are allowed to falsely advertise on their website with impunity.

The overwhelming consensus here is that BuyVM losing my VPS is actually my fault for not backing up my data. Likewise, others have pointed out losing data with providers like AWS.

When a car has problems, there are recalls. When VPS host has problems, there's no consume protection at all holding VPS providers accountable. Not only that, there's actually the opposite of it, where the VPS community is so conditioned to being abused by poor VPS hosts that they pile on.

🤪

Best of luck.

• @user37489 Are you sure you understand what you're talking about?

So you expect a provider to keep backups of your VPS with all the data inside without your permission, and then recover something for you from the secret backups when bad things happen because you never back up anything yourself?

Well if you find such a provider, sue them, become millionaire and stop all the VPS job for the sake of other providers.

Thanked by 2CheepCluck dystopia
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said:

When a car has problems, there are recalls. When VPS host has problems, there's no consumer protection at all holding VPS providers accountable. Not only that, there's actually the opposite of it, where the VPS community is so conditioned to being abused by poor VPS hosts that they actually defend them... Almost like some bizarre hazing ritual... like hey, back in my day I lost all of my data and now I do back ups, and you're new so you also lost all your data because you didn't have back ups, and should have known that the VPS industry is crap.

Regardless of many disagreements, this understanding will carry you well moving forward. I'll drink to that. All roads lead to the same place.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
    edited November 2021

@jsg said:

@user37489 said:
    ...I've asked the mods many times now to delete this thread because I've already received my refund.

Translation: you don't give or care a flying f_ck about the LET team and all of us users, for you LET only serves one purpose, YOURS, and as soon as you've got what you want (and let off some emotional steam along the way), LET can explode along with all of us.

@admins

counter proposal: Do not delete the thread but rather the acutely egocentrical OP-bitch.

All I asked was to delete this thread bad mouthing BuyVM because it's clear that no one cares about my experience with them.... I don't see how that translate to "LET can explode along with all of us"

• @user37489 comes here to stir the pot, everyone points out that he's stirring the pot, and now wants an out trying to avoid facing the facts; that hardware failures happen and it is not the provider's responsibility to provide backups.

• @comXyz said:
    @user37489 Are you sure you understand what you're talking about?

So you expect a provider to keep backups of your VPS with all the data inside without your permission, and then recover something for you from the secret backups when bad things happen because you never back up anything yourself?

Well if you find such a provider, sue them, become millionaire and stop all the VPS job for the sake of other providers.

Only thing I expected was RDP to continue working when I needed it, since I always paid my bills on time. Then when that failed, I expected BuyVM to notify me of a problem, instead of keeping silent and hiding it from me until I discovered it for myself when opening a support ticket.

Shame

• The only thing left is to stop everything and become a underpants-less dirt salesman instead. :'(

• @user37489 said:

@comXyz said:
    @user37489 Are you sure you understand what you're talking about?

Only thing I expected was RDP to continue working when I needed it, since I always paid my bills on time. Then when that failed, I expected BuyVM to notify me of a problem, instead of keeping silent and hiding it from me until I discovered it for myself when opening a support ticket.

Shame

In my world, we fix the human before we fix the computer. That means you as a customer aren't walking away feeling disappointed and like you don't matter and that your issues are null.

Customer service skills, providers, will trump any technical prowess you have.

This customer spends $60/month on a service, that's in the upper echelon of LET users budget.

You all give him way too much grief, put yourself in his shoes and feel the pain.

OP it's a terrible way to learn a lesson, I know, but hopefully you (and others) can take what happened and avoid the same traps in future.

IIRC the data itself wasn't even the issue, it was the customer service experience that ruined your day.

The data loss is always at least inconvenient and nobody ever has enough backups even the trolls.

Lucky in this case, data loss isn't a catastrophe. I've dealt with humans who have suffered data loss of photos etc of loved ones who have passed. Being a dick to them is not the answer.

Thanked by 2user37489 drunkendog
  • Shut up
    Just give credit to me

/thread

• @user37489 said:

Sorry but you're litigating vague marketing buzzwords. I don't exactly like them but they're not rape or murder either. Every company that makes things claim they're reliable: cars, strollers, toasters etc.

When a car has problems, there are recalls. When a bank has problems, there's FDIC. When VPS host has problems, there's no consumer protection at all holding VPS providers accountable.

The provider has been accountable enough by offering apology and generous compensation. If they don't mean anything to you, so be it. Maybe you're rich or something. But that's on you not the provider.

Literally no provider no matter how much they cost will offer anyone their data's worth in monetary compensation in the event of a loss because for some their data is worth $0.01 while for others $1,000,000,000,000. At the same time, a provider can only charge $60, $600, $6000 per month.

Not only that, there's actually the opposite of it, where the VPS community is so conditioned to being abused by poor VPS hosts that they actually defend them... Almost like some bizarre hazing ritual... like hey, back in my day I lost all of my data and now I do back ups, and you're new so you also lost all your data because you didn't have back ups, and should have known that the VPS industry is actually "subjective website content".

This is just my theory but the providers are the ones paying to keep this site running hence why it's biased in their favor. The rest are just following the more influential frequenters of this site.

This is generalisation of course but the provider in this thread has done more than the ones mentioned in most other dispute threads.

edited November 2021

@woteti said:

@user37489 said:

Sorry but you're litigating vague marketing buzzwords. I don't exactly like them but they're not rape or murder either. Every company that makes things claim they're reliable: cars, strollers, toasters etc.

When a car has problems, there are recalls. When a bank has problems, there's FDIC. When VPS host has problems, there's no consumer protection at all holding VPS providers accountable.

The provider has been accountable enough by offering apology and generous compensation. If they don't mean anything to you, so be it. Maybe you're rich or something. But that's on you not the provider.

Literally no provider no matter how much they cost will offer anyone their data's worth in monetary compensation in the event of a loss because for some their data is worth $0.01 while for others $1,000,000,000,000. At the same time, a provider can only charge $60, $600, $6000 per month.

Not only that, there's actually the opposite of it, where the VPS community is so conditioned to being abused by poor VPS hosts that they actually defend them... Almost like some bizarre hazing ritual... like hey, back in my day I lost all of my data and now I do back ups, and you're new so you also lost all your data because you didn't have back ups, and should have known that the VPS industry is actually "subjective website content".

This is just my theory but the providers are the ones paying to keep this site running hence why it's biased in their favor. The rest are just following the more influential frequenters of this site.

This is generalisation of course but the provider in this thread has done more than the ones mentioned in most other dispute threads.

BuyVM lost my VPS on Friday and didn't tell me, so when I needed it most on Sunday for work, RDP wouldn't connect and it caused me great pain.

In return, the only thing I want is for this thread to dissuade at least one potential new customer from signing up to BuyVM.

• How has this managed an extra 150 posts overnight?

FLOG. THAT. DEAD. HORSE!

I love it.

• FoulFoul Member
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said: In return, the only thing I want is for this thread to dissuade at least one potential new customer from signing up to BuyVM.

Lol'ed.

That's my only comment I have to post on here.

--Happy BuyVM customer since 2014 :)

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said: When a car has problems, there are recalls.

When you buy a 15-year-old LowEndCar with 200,000 miles on it, you don't get any sort of warranty with it.

@user37489 said: I've come to the conclusion that the VPS hosting space is strongly lacking in any consumer protection

You've agreed to the lack of a warranty in the terms of service for the provider. You did read the ToS when you signed up, right? If you don't like the terms of a provider then don't sign up? I'm sure the higher-end providers would love to sell you the same thing for 5x the cost. Even the higher-end providers usually have a ToS clause stating that there's no warranty and they're not responsible for any data loss.

This is not specific to VPS hosting at all... there's many many industries with insufficient consumer protection. Things are generally better for Australians thanks to the Australian Consumer Law (which applies even to overseas companies, if they have a large number of Australian customers), but Americans are mostly out of luck.

Mobile phone companies are a good example... They advertise their internet access as "unlimited" but then slow me down after 20GB to the point where nothing can even load any more. This is illegal in Australia but very widespread in the USA.

• leave @Francisco alone

This discussion has been closed.