Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

jackb said: Thought there was a double blind trial on Remdesivir that showed no statistically significant improvement over placebo?

There was a report out of China late last week that suggested Remdesivir was not effective but most experts dispelled the trial as not trustworthy given the controls (or lack thereof). I don't know too much about it so I am not an expert.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

If you look past the headline you'll see there was no control group in that trial.

• The year is 2034 Covid-29 has wiped out 80% of worlds population, your cell phone rings you have no idea who would still have your number. You Answer...

... "We have been trying to reach you regarding your vehicles extended Warranty" Damnit mfs!

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited May 2020

As a military superpower, the United States has always been the focus of attention of the world. Whether to reopen seems to be a heated topic there recently, especially after several White House staff members being tested positive for COVID-19 last week. I wondered for those of you living in the states, what's your thought on loosening the stay-at-home order and reopening the economy? Do you think where you live is ready to reopen?

• truwebtruweb Member

Easy, guys.
    Come to Brazil!
    Here our president (prime minister) is doing a terrible job, he believes this is just a common flu. He instructs the population to medicate themselves. This unfortunate man makes fun of the deaths.
    There are people here who don't believe that this virus exists. They say this virus is a media scam.
    In the Amazon the health system is collapsing. Doctors choose who they're going to try to save.
    Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, both with high infection rates. The population doesn't take care of themselves. The people are corrupt. Pitiful.
    Where I live, the government is withholding information about how many are infected.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• I was watching the same lies and abrupt governance in Mexico, is there someone from there to confirm what reality is like there ?

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2020

mehargags said: I was watching the same lies and abrupt governance in Mexico, is there someone from there to confirm what reality is like there ?

I'm from Mexico. It's a big country and things are different depending on where you are at. Some Governors, like ours, are doing their own thing. Where I am at in Jalisco things are not bad. My small city has ~500,000 people, 110 cases, about half health care workers, and 11 deaths, 71 have recovered. All but one of the deaths had serious underling conditions like TB, cancer, lupus, etc. Mexico City, Tijuana, Culican, and Cancun are having lots of cases and hospitals are having problems.
    What did you want to know?

EDIT: Our leftest president does believe it is all a neo-liberal conspiracy. He has reduced the public health budget 86% over the last year, because he believes Doctors are greedy and corrupt. and he says whatever companies fail due to the Virus well that's their problem. He has also just given the Army police powers for the next 5 years.

EDIT2: If you are speaking of today's article in Vox they are probably correct about the under reporting of cases. Locally they are only testing people if hospitalized. One reason for this is that the test cost the equivalent of $700 USD, (which is way out of line with the norm) many people are out of work and do not have $700 to get tested if they are not really really sick. They are probably a bit off on the 2000 ventilators for the whole country as we have 428 in just our state. Also there are two health systems here, the public health system that has always been under funded and never been "good" and the private health care system that is low cost and I personalty think is pretty damn great, based on my experience.

Thanked by 2chihcherng mehargags
  • noamannoaman Member

Its not end of the world per say

But i just lost my job due to this Pandemic Economic regression

Thanked by 2chihcherng truweb
  • @chihcherng I'm from Chicago and yeah a lot of the southern cities and outlying counties can open because its mostly impacting Chicago and the near surrounding areas. I think the problem is keeping people from Chicago out of those areas. How do you keep people from traveling somewhere else and possibly spreading it?

Thanked by 1chihcherng

In Florida my county, Broward, is one of thr final two that are not yet open in the entire State. As of May 18th Broward and Miami Dade both open which means the entire state will be open for business with a few exceptions like gyms and movie theaters.

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • The local Chinese take out restaurant has added a Plexiglas barrier at their counter. There is a tube to pass payment through and a door to pass the food through. The rest is blocked with Plexiglas.

Thanked by 2chihcherng mehargags
  • truwebtruweb Member

Long live the mess.
    1 Dollar equal to 6 Brazilian Real
    The President (Prime Minister) ordering doctors to prescribe Chloroquine to the population.
    The Minister of Health resigns.

I read today that June 2nd Italy plans to reopen their borders. That's much sooner than I would have thought.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

truweb said: 1 Dollar equal to 6 Brazilian Real

Yep.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

Have not been outside since last 57 days :( ordering every thing online & over phone. My city is quit small and first case of covid-19 was found 3days before and every day number of cases are increasing in my city. :(

• ScienceOnlineScienceOnline Member
    edited May 2020

@jbiloh said:
    I read today that June 2nd Italy plans to reopen their borders. That's much sooner than I would have thought.

My city, one of the hardest hit, yesterday had 0 new cases and 0 deaths for the first time

Thanked by 1georgedatacenter
  • truwebtruweb Member

@raindog308 said:

truweb said: 1 Dollar equal to 6 Brazilian Real

Yep.

Yes, this is the commercial dollar.
    When we make an international purchase, we pay for the PTAX dollar, which is more expensive than the commercial dollar.
    Then you have 6.8% IOF (VAT for you) and another 4% bank spread.

USD 1 = BRL 5.85 + 10.8% = BRL 6.482

Moderna announced today that their 3 group phase 1 trial of their vaccine candidate produced positive results in all 3 groups. They also said that the vaccine was well received by the participants, meaning no adverse side effects.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@jbiloh said:
    Moderna announced today that their 3 group phase 1 trial of their vaccine candidate produced positive results in all 3 groups. They also said that the vaccine was well received by the participants, meaning no adverse side effects.

Worth noting that although they did measure antibodies etc with promising indications, the primary purpose of this trial was determining human safety/dosage so we can't get too excited yet.

Effectiveness will be measured in a later trial. It is reassuring how multiple potential vaccines are showing promise this early on though.

• HostkeyHostkey Member

In Holland they started to ease measures from last week, shops opened, primary schools, the rest will be open from June 1st, masks will be compulsory now in public transport, they sell them here for 4 - 8 euro >:)

@jbiloh said:
    More proof that Corona is mutating weaker published today: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/coronavirus-chinese-scientists-identify-two-types-covid-19.html

It seems that there is more validation that covid-19 is mutating weaker (as most viruses do as the strongest sub strains kill off their hosts, therefore dying and the weaker sub strains spread from host to host who end up recovering).

The story about weaker mutation was featured in a couple different US media outlets over the weekend. I know the media hates good news but there is a lot more of it to fay than two months ago and it's getting harder to ignore.

Story: https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-184358113.html

Thanked by 2hostdare HostEONS
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:

But most of the countries only claiming that they developed the vaccine, and soon it will be available in the market; however, later they do not want to talk about their developed vaccine.

If they developed a vaccine, then why they first not using it and saving their people?

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@DewlanceVPS said:
    If they developed a vaccine, then why they first not using it and saving their people?

Because developing and testing a vaccine take years.
    Nobody wants to be the first to release a vaccine just to find out a few years later that the side effects kill people.

And its not countries that develop vaccines, its big-pharma companies. They aim international with everything they do.

• @jbiloh said:

@jbiloh said:
    More proof that Corona is mutating weaker published today: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/coronavirus-chinese-scientists-identify-two-types-covid-19.html

It seems that there is more validation that covid-19 is mutating weaker (as most viruses do as the strongest sub strains kill off their hosts, therefore dying and the weaker sub strains spread from host to host who end up recovering).

The story about weaker mutation was featured in a couple different US media outlets over the weekend. I know the media hates good news but there is a lot more of it to fay than two months ago and it's getting harder to ignore.

Story: https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-184358113.html

Actually he is the only one in Italy and in the world to affirm this thing, in Italy all the virologists surveyed have denied it, he probably meant that clinically in Italy there are no longer serious cases and none of the infected are hospitalized in intensive care, but this is something already known and debated in the past weeks, there is no scientific evidence of the reason, the hypothesis is that the virus is weakened due to temperatures and ultraviolet rays as for the other known corona viruses.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

I agree with @jbiloh virus mutation is definitely making it weaker and fortunately this virus is not so fatal in India as it is in US/EU considering the health system in India, but still wondering why is it proving out so fatal in EU/US ?

Mortality rate is very low in India which is actually good for a country like India.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

HostEONS said: Mortality rate is very low in India which is actually good for a country like India.

have you checked the population in developed countries such as in usa and india ? india's population is younger than usa

• The HIV virus has no vaccine. Likewise, there's no guarantee that a COVID-19 vaccine could be successfully developed.

Thanked by 1CasualCanvas
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@hostdare said:

HostEONS said: Mortality rate is very low in India which is actually good for a country like India.

have you checked the population in developed countries such as in usa and india ? india's population is younger than usa

Yes that's one of the possible reasons

• JonesJones Member

@hostdare Can you spare some time to answer my questions?
    Ticket # 875880