Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

MechanicWeb said: What I have said is to state the facts.

Interesting, what is your source?

I live in a tourist area in Mexico and here is my real world view. Up until recently we had flights from China, Japan, Canada, USA, and various countries in South America and Europe flying in here regularly. Cruise ships have been and still dock here, as it seems this is one of the very few (only) ports in the western hemisphere that is accepting them. I have been following the local board with more then 55,000 local members and nobody has had Corona Virus or knows anyone who has had the virus yet. The hospital down the street has not had a influx of patents beyond what I normally see.

Figuring this virus would be real bad for us here after reading about it happening in China back in January, I have been social distancing for a couple of months. I've seen the planes virtually stop arriving, the bars, restaurants, and hotels close, and fire thousands of workers, but still no Corona virus here. The only info I have of infection is second or third hand and from other places in Mexico. I'm getting a bit confused by the difference between my real world experience and what I am reading about that is happening in the rest of the world.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MechanicWeb said:
    The world has never seen a virus like COVID-19.

Sure we have. Multiple times.

Spanish Flu of 1918. Bubonic Plagues of the 14th century. Both far worse.

Thanked by 3FrankZ PHDan netomx
  • PHDanPHDan Member

MechanicWeb said: A bunch of bullshit.

Did the lead paint at least taste good when you ate it?

• PHDanPHDan Member

raindog308 said: Spanish Flu of 1918. Bubonic Plagues of the 14th century. Both far worse.

This particular virus is noted as SARS-CoV-2, so more along the lines of SARS/MERS, but the point stands.

• @raindog308

Indeed, part of the reason the Spanish Flu and the Bubonic Plague were both so deadly was because of the lack of hygiene and due to less advanced medical systems, so if this particular coronavirus had taken place in the 1400s, well...

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@MechanicWeb said:

Take it seriously folks, for your own good. We are all seeing what happened to those who haven't taken it seriously.

A ~10% fatality rate is still 1 in 10 person being killed by the virus.

Can you imagine what could be the situation if 1 in 10 person dies in your community? The whole community will become a grave.

You will run out of graveyards, caskets and tears.

It's an envelope virus. COVID-19 has an extra hard protein shell that protects it. It takes 70 degree Celsius to kill the virus, or you need to boil it for 30 minutes at 56 degree Celsius to kill it.

It can survive up to 30 minutes in the air, and 5 to 30 days on surfaces (soil, metal, wood, food etc.)

It has 2,000 sub-species, and can adapt and change its genome structure and did so over 300 times since January.

I can go on. It's scary.

Scaring anyone is not my intention at all. What I have said is to state the facts.

Please, stay safe. Mankind has never faced an enemy like this.

Where are you seeing 10 percent mortality? The highest rate of death that I can find in a reputable media source is approximately 5 percent.

But all of that still does not take into account the number of people who are never clinically diagnosed. Two studies, one from the UK and another from China have said that the percentage of those who contract the virus, but never get diagnosed is approximately 80 percent. If you adjust the mortality figures to take into account this huge population of infected the mortality rate goes way, way down.

The issue with covid 19 is that it's so contagious and folks with preexisting conditions need ventilators, and there is a huge global shortage of them. Most recent data from Italy shows 99 percent of Italians who have passed away had at least one pre existing condition. Most had three or more pre existing conditions.

• FrankZ said: I've seen the planes virtually stop arriving, the bars, restaurants, and hotels close, and fire thousands of workers, but still no Corona virus here.

That means the efforts help.

You don't know you are infected with this virus because you would have no symptom for a period of time. Then it explodes. Just look at Italy and New York, do you think they are acting?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2020

greattomeetyou said: Just look at Italy and New York, do you think they are acting?

I have no idea as I am not there. Please understand we are used to being lied to regularly here so maybe I'm a bit more skeptical of what we are told by 2nd hand sources.

I was offering, and looking for 1st hand experiences. I read of one 1st hand experience by a member here on LET that had the virus and recovered at home.

What has been your experience?

• edited March 2020

@FrankZ said:

greattomeetyou said: Just look at Italy and New York, do you think they are acting?

I have no idea as I am not there. Please understand we are used to being lied to regularly here so maybe I'm a bit more skeptical of what we are told by unconfirmed sources.

I was offering, and looking for 1st hand experiences. I read of one 1st hand experience by a member here on LET that had the virus and recovered at home.

What has been your experience?

Cannot help you if you have hard time trusting. You may as well fly to New York or Italy to check it out.

BTW, you may want to go to China. Their media would tell you everything is good, of course until they can no longer cover it up.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2020

@greattomeetyou where are you and do you know anyone personalty that has had it?

EDIT: Obviously there is a problem, but these 5%-10% death rates seem a little tough to believe. The US president Regan said "Trust but verify" which is what I am trying to do.

• FrankZ said: "Trust but verify"

I trust their reportings.
    Please go to NY or Italy yourself, go into their hospitals, or places that offer funeral services, to verify if you don't believe the press.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

greattomeetyou said: Please go to NY or Italy yourself, go into their hospitals, or places that offer funeral services, to verify if you don't believe the press.

The US and Italy will not currently let me in as borders are closed to non citizens.
    Good news is that it was just reported that China has waved the $2500 peso visa fee, and is offering free plane tickets for Mexicans to visit China. They are also providing free Corina virus testing and 14 days lodging when you get there. :wink:

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Whelp, England is now in "lockdown" and I'm also showing symptoms. I've cancelled my trip to Thailand, my insurers have been very good and are dealing with it all for me.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

@hawc said:
    Whelp, England is now in "lockdown" and I'm also showing symptoms. I've cancelled my trip to Thailand, my insurers have been very good and are dealing with it all for me.

Get yourself tested and stay safe ... hope you get well soon

• hawc said: showing symptoms.

What symptoms do you have?

• It would be nice to hear from a person from New York; to understand their day.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

FrankZ said: Interesting, what is your source?

I have been reading WHO declarations, CDC docs and watching research paper presentations by various anthropologists.

My collection of data isn't from social networking sites, forums and media outlets.

Edit:
    Sorry, I don't have all the links to share. It was exhaustive, but I had to know for myself.

jbiloh said: Most had three or more pre existing conditions.

That's correct. Especially if you have respiratory issues or lung issues.

It is easy to get confused with this virus as it takes a long time for the symptoms to become visible.

Here are some words of hope.

Within a human host, the virus's life cycle is 12 days. It cannot survive more than 12 - 14 days in a human body. If a human host survives after that, it already has created an antibody to become immune to the virus.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

Within a human host, the virus's life cycle is 12 days. It cannot survive more than 12 - 14 days in a human body. If a human host survives after that, it already has created an antibody to become immune to the virus.

can you share the official information about this please

• @cociu said:
    not a joke , i make some whater stock and food. Romania is disastre when we talk about hospitals ...

I can confirm this :wink:

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

georgedatacenter said: can you share the official information about this please

I am sorry, I don't have the links.

Anyone researches with virus can confirm this.

Creating antibody is the usual response of the immune system. You get infected if the body can't create it or can't create enough, or creates so much that it creates side effects.

• edited March 2020

@georgedatacenter said:

can you share the official information about this please

I heard from a few cases, the virus stays for much longer time. And there are cases which the virus still stays in the patient(s) (after the patient has no more serious symptom), which means the human body cannot get rid of it. It is like AIDs/hepatitis B, that can be suppressed but not gotten rid of.

Waiting for more reports.

Thanked by 1georgedatacenter
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

https://gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

• edited March 2020

@FrankZ said:
    As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

https://gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

May be that's why their prince (Charles?) and prime minster, Boris Johnson, contracted the disease.
    UK was trying a novel method, "herd immunity".

• @MechanicWeb said:

Take it seriously folks, for your own good. We are all seeing what happened to those who haven't taken it seriously.

A ~10% fatality rate is still 1 in 10 person being killed by the virus.

Can you imagine what could be the situation if 1 in 10 person dies in your community? The whole community will become a grave.

You will run out of graveyards, caskets and tears.

Well, the bodies wouldn't pile up, they'd be cremated.

It's an envelope virus. COVID-19 has an extra hard protein shell that protects it. It takes 70 degree Celsius to kill the virus, or you need to boil it for 30 minutes at 56 degree Celsius to kill it.

I think you mean "heat" instead of "boil". Boiling would mean the temperature in which it turns to vapour (e.g. 100*C for water).

Thanked by 1Devil
  • PHDanPHDan Member

greattomeetyou said: I heard from a few cases, the virus stays for much longer time.

I heard the virus has jumped from bats to humans and now to amphibians. Seems after 3 months in a frogs system it turns the frogs homosexual.

See, I can make shit up too!

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2020

greattomeetyou said: It is like AIDs/hepatitis B, that can be suppressed but not gotten rid of.

^ Not exactly correct

Enveloped DNA viruses
    Hepatitis B virus (HBV)
    Herpes simplex

RNA viruses that reverse transcribes viral RNA to form progeny DNA
    Retroviruses (e.g., HIV, HTLV)

Single-stranded RNA virus
    Coronaviridae - Coronavirus

Link

COVID-19 specific

SARS-CoV-2 is a potentially lethal type of coronavirus, a subfamily of enveloped nonsegmented positive-sense RNA viruses that usually cause mild respiratory tract infections.

Replication cycle: Enzymes, such as RNA polymerase or proteases, that are virally induced by endosomal viral RNA release replicate viral components. Endosomes with newly constituted viruses are released via exocytosis.

Direct cytopathic effects
    Virus-induced damage, particularly to the alveolar epithelium Other organs, especially the liver and heart, can also be affected.
    Dysregulated immune response: As in sepsis, there is an immune response involving the release of cytokines (IL-6) and the triggering of an acute inflammatory response. However, COVID-19 usually does not lead to hypotension, a defining feature of sepsis.

The disease has a wide spectrum of severity, ranging from mild to critical.

Mild (∼ 80%)
    Uncomplicated course without dyspnea (difficult or labored breathing)
    Lasts 1–2 weeks

Severe (∼ 15%)
    Develops ∼ 5–7 days after symptom onset
    Indicates the disease has progressed to pneumonia
    Signs include dyspnea and hypoxia (a condition in which the body or a region of the body is deprived of adequate oxygen supply at the tissue level)
    Lasts 3–6 weeks

Critical disease (∼ 5%)
    Signs of severe pneumonia (respiratory failure), shock, and possibly multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS)
    Lasts 3–6 weeks

Current reports of the mortality rate range from ∼ 0.5 to 3%.
    Mortality is higher for older patients (> 65 years), especially those at risk of a severe course.
    Risk groups include:
    Individuals with chronic diseases, especially diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular, pulmonary, or renal conditions and Immunosuppressed individuals

To date, no therapy has proven effective. Any approach is experimental.

There are currently many hypotheses founded on the research conducted on previous coronavirus outbreaks (MERS, SARS); the viability of these hypotheses and the application of past research to the present situation has yet to be determined!

Link

EDIT:
    For comparison death rates. SARS-CoV, a group 2b β-coronavirus, was identified as the causative agent of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) outbreak that occurred in 2002–2003. It is the most severe disease caused by any coronavirus. During the 2002–2003 outbreak approximately 8098 cases occurred with 774 deaths, resulting in a mortality rate of 9%. This rate was much higher in elderly individuals, with mortality rates approaching 50% in individuals over 60 years of age. Link

An epidemiology study of 34/45 hospital workers who contracted SARS after exposure to a single index patient showed that most of the infected individuals (23/34) were non-group O individuals (groups A, B, and AB). Group O individuals were relatively resistant to infection, with an OR of 0.18 Link

• @PHDan said:

greattomeetyou said: I heard from a few cases, the virus stays for much longer time.

I heard the virus has jumped from bats to humans and now to amphibians. Seems after 3 months in a frogs system it turns the frogs homosexual.

See, I can make shit up too!

I heard it can jump to cat and dog.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2020

MechanicWeb said: I have been reading WHO declarations, CDC docs and watching research paper presentations by various anthropologists.

I'm going through the CDC stuff now. I will post links if I find anything that adds to or disagrees with what I have posted above.

You should probably stay away from reading Anthropologists as they study humans, human behavior and societies in the past and present. IE: studies patterns of behavior and culture, not infectious diseases.

georgedatacenter said: can you share the official information about this please.

Dr. Alfredo Miroli, is an Argentine immunologist explains things well here

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

FlamesRunner said: Indeed, part of the reason the Spanish Flu and the Bubonic Plague were both so deadly was because of the lack of hygiene and due to less advanced medical systems, so if this particular coronavirus had taken place in the 1400s, well...

Sure, I agree...I was just taking issue with the statement that the world has never seen anything like this before, which isn't true.

• We need wear mask to avoid the COVID-19.