Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• @gwnd1989 said:

@greattomeetyou said:

gwnd1989 said: People with Corona are hiding from police

Why are they hiding?

most of the infected are workers returning from Italy... They are rich... They dont want to leave their comfy homes to basic facilities in Quarantine centres.

That's not the same as "hiding from the police" and where resources are scarce, is likely preferred if they stayed home.

• But they don't have GFW, they can use phone to record things and publish them.

What is GFW? Checking Urban dictionary did not help. 🤪

• @TimboJones said:

@gwnd1989 said:

@greattomeetyou said:

gwnd1989 said: People with Corona are hiding from police

Why are they hiding?

most of the infected are workers returning from Italy... They are rich... They dont want to leave their comfy homes to basic facilities in Quarantine centres.

That's not the same as "hiding from the police" and where resources are scarce, is likely preferred if they stayed home.

Thats true but they are not staying at homes either... going to parties... relgiious gatherings

• @not_dilligaf said:

But they don't have GFW, they can use phone to record things and publish them.

What is GFW? Checking Urban dictionary did not help. 🤪

GFW is a Government's FireWall that blocks connections to garbage sites for the public good

• @kerus1024 said:

GFW is a Government's FireWall that blocks connections to garbage sites for the public good

Thanks. Make sense now

• Please use mask. Use the cheap ones. Stop saying save it for medical staff.
    Saving disposable masks does not help with medical and N95 masks.
    Staying healthy is the best way to reduce medical stress.
    It can also alert ignorant people and reduce their travel.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I tend to agree that the advice that the general public shouldn't use masks is bad advice. It's motivated by the lack of national stock levels of masks, not good, sensible policy.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

@hiphiphip0 said:
    Please use mask. Use the cheap ones. Stop saying save it for medical staff.
    Saving disposable masks does not help with medical and N95 masks.
    Staying healthy is the best way to reduce medical stress.
    It can also alert ignorant people and reduce their travel.

They won't do anything other than encourage people who see you to buy masks. And they'll probably get the correct specification - the ones that will go short in hospitals. This is bad advice in most countries.

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited March 2020

@jackb said:
    They won't do anything other than encourage people who see you to buy masks. And they'll probably get the correct specification - the ones that will go short in hospitals. This is bad advice in most countries.

That's why I said use cheap ones is enough, that would not cause short in hospitals.
    On January 24th, I went back to the old house and posted the Spring Festival couplet. I greeted my neighbors downstairs in the corridor. A few days ago I learned that someone in his family was diagnosed, his family was isolated until recently. It ’s always good to be careful. I may be infected if not wearing mask (It has been reported that one people were infected after just 10 seconds of talking).
    Masks may or may not be useful. Wearing a thousand ordinary masks still costs less money and resources than curing a confirmed patient. Why not do it?
    People need to be taught to use mask wisely, not simply mask is useless.

At least, mask help reminding people not touch nose and mouth when going outside, reducing droplet transmission during sneezing and coughing.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

@hiphiphip0 said:

@jackb said:

That's why I said use cheap ones is enough, that would not cause short in hospitals.

You buying cheap masks wouldn't impact hospitals - sure. People who see you wearing a mask and think "great idea, I'll do that too" and panic buy n95 masks will contribute to shortages for hospitals. Given the cheap masks won't actually prevent the spread of the virus e.g. they can actually go through the mask, there's more harm than benefit to doing this especially in western countries.

• @jackb said:
    You buying cheap masks wouldn't impact hospitals - sure. People who see you wearing a mask and think "great idea, I'll do that too" and panic buy n95 masks will contribute to shortages for hospitals. Given the cheap masks won't actually prevent the spread of the virus e.g. they can actually go through the mask, there's more harm than benefit to doing this especially in western countries.

That could happen, I don't know how mask purchasing works in western countries, could distributors and retailers drop N95 directly, save it for medical staff, police, cleaner?
    Some cheap mask has the same filtering capability as surgical masks, but no waterproof layer, so doctors cannot use them, but ordinary people can.

• USA now is rating as the number #3 of the most infected countries wow !

• hzrhzr Member
    edited March 2020

hiphiphip0 said: That could happen, I don't know how mask purchasing works in western countries, could distributors and retailers drop N95 directly, save it for medical staff, police, cleaner?

Retailers are already dropping N95 here and diverting them from stores. Every single retailer is sold out and has been for months.

I ordered plain surgical masks from aliexpress (from my raspberry pi case seller's store..) and it was not allowed to be imported.

People need to be taught to use mask wisely, not simply mask is useless.

In western countries there was a huge lie of "mask is useless do not wear mask" in an attempt to save some for first responders. Now people believe it. If you wear mask in grocery store here, you are made fun of, people take video, laugh, some people intentionally try to cough on you or rip it off.

Businesses "forbid" employees to wear masks because "it will scare the customers" ...

Many kids (and older adults too) still think it is a joke and continue daily life. I don't believe people behaving like this should receive care if triage is needed - give it to someone that isn't a mass murderer.

Surgical mask on EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME will reduce all forms of ILI (including normal flu, cold, etc also) - this is shown to work, period. But there is no supply chain to provide this in the US and most people cannot afford price-gouged costs for disposable ones, nor do they know how to dispose of them safely. There is no mask culture in the US like in Asia. Effectively, you need military and police to enforce that nobody at all is outside without a mask on and you need orders of magnitude more production of them.

- These people need to be arrested and jailed.

• rcxbrcxb Member

@momkin said:
    USA now is rating as the number #3 of the most infected countries wow !

The US is a huge country. Instead of comparing it to a bunch of tiny countries, compare it to the entire EU, which has a an equivalent population, and you'll see the figures there are much worse. Or you can compare individual US states to similar-sized countries.

And it's probably just the US' turn... Other countries were hot-spots until the cases leveled-off... China, South Korea, etc. The US got hit later than them. Lots of other countries are now similarly just in the initial stages, and they'll have to deal with a major spread soon enough.

And confirmed infections is highly dependant on having a good health care system in the first place. Poorer countries just don't test and/or report infections, so the symptoms and deaths just aren't speciically attributed to COVID-19. The US count is going way up right now because they've been behind and only just now finally got enough test kits to test and confirm all the suspected cases.

• rcxbrcxb Member

@hzr said:
    In western countries there was a huge lie of "mask is useless do not wear mask" in an attempt to save some for first responders.

It's not a lie. The virus is small enough to get through masks, and keeping distance and thouroughly cleaning your hands (in particular) will do much more to reduce your chances of infection. The biggest benefit of masks is that it keeps you from touching your mouth and nose, but only for a while. So if you're not washing your hands, you'll still infect yourself after you get home and take off the mask, anyhow.

If you wear mask in grocery store here, you are made fun of, people take video, laugh, some people intentionally try to cough on you or rip it off.

Uhh. no. I've been in grocery stores... A small percentage of people wear masks. Nobody harasses them. Some employees wear masks as well. A few viral videos of a couple idiots being shown over and over doesn't indicate actual behavior of anyone other than those individual idiots.

Effectively, you need military and police to enforce that nobody at all is outside without a mask on

Not at all. If authorities just asked people do to so, almost all would (at least right now while the news media is scaring them to death). See all the paniced hoarding of groceries... Instead, they're being told not to, and so most comply.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
    edited March 2020

N95 and better masks stop the entire family of Corona viruses. Of course there are still the gaps around the masks and the mucus membrane of the eyes which are vulnerable.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited March 2020

rcxb said: It's not a lie. The virus is small enough to get through masks, and keeping distance and thouroughly cleaning your hands (in particular) will do much more to reduce your chances of infection.

Do all of them. People will not keep distance. I am disappointed that my safety relies on other people having common sense and respect.

rcxb said: The biggest benefit of masks is that it keeps you from touching your mouth and nose, but only for a while.

The biggest benefit of masks on everyone is pre-symptomatic people walking around keeping most of the virions on the piece of paper in front of their mouth.

rcxb said: Uhh. no. I've been in grocery stores... A small percentage of people wear masks. Nobody harasses them. Some employees wear masks as well. A few viral videos of a couple idiots being shown over and over doesn't indicate actual behavior of anyone other than those individual idiots.

This is almost certainly location-dependent, but here while "most" are respecting distancing, the beaches and parks are packed, and this is completely unacceptable. There is still a nonnegligible amount of people in grocery stores ignore distancing notices, pile up, all sorts of dumb shit. It isn't from the viral videos.

Apart from the asian supermarkets here, I have not seen a single "western" supermarket with masks OR gloves on their employees, and continue to take and handle cash instead of going pickup preorder loading only.

rcxb said: Not at all. If authorities just asked people do to so, almost all would (at least right now while the news media is scaring them to death). See all the paniced hoarding of groceries... Instead, they're being told not to, and so most comply.

Yep, this is what will happen. But unfortunately, not enough comply. I am in a urban area and I see police having to disperse crowds walking inches from each other in the park out the window, constantly. "Most" needs to be 95%+ compliance, not "greater than half". People have had a week or two here to respect the guidelines, and the governor is complaining on twitter daily about how people are continuing to ignore it and repeatedly hinting at making it absolutely mandatory.

I also believe that part of the problem is the US's employer-required healthcare insurance system, cost of healthcare and access, close to no safety net for many people, gig economy with no protections, and all sorts of problems that come with that. Not going into politics and I don't care who wins the politic war but it's problematic when people are having to choose between getting sick working in a dangerous environment and starving.

Thanked by 1vedran
  • rcxbrcxb Member

@jbiloh said:
    N95 and better masks stop the entire family of Corona viruses.

"Stop" is too strong a term. N95 masks have proven around 95% effective at eliminating 0.1um viruses like corona, according to 3M's own testing. See the graph on pg.5:

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/409903O/respiratory-protection-against-biohazards.pdf

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

hzr said: If you wear mask in grocery store here, you are made fun of, people take video, laugh, some people intentionally try to cough on you or rip it off.

Have not seen anything even remotely similar to this in any US location. I'm sure there may be an isolated case of teenagers being idiots but everyone I've been if someone is wearing a mask, no one cares.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited March 2020

raindog308 said: Have not seen anything even remotely similar to this in any US location. I'm sure there may be an isolated case of teenagers being idiots but everyone I've been if someone is wearing a mask, no one cares.

I've been doing grocery runs for some of the people in my building that can't leave. I have not seen this once at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I have seen this 8+ times at Safeway/Fred Meyer, not sure why. If you wear a N95 or goggles it's probably going on someone's Snapchat story at minimum.

I'll agree that it's probably isolated dumbasses, but every time this happens you increase the "exponential" number a little bit more.

• As of today, China has reopened markets, allowing health people stayed in Hubei since Jan to return to their work place in other provinces. Medical staff sent to Hubei has return back home. Everything is back to normal.
    Hope you guys get through this.

@Xiaoming said:
    As of today, China has reopened markets, allowing health people stayed in Hubei since Jan to return to their work place in other provinces. Medical staff sent to Hubei has return back home. Everything is back to normal.
    Hope you guys get through this.

Thanks for the update.

How is China handling cases from people who traveled abroad and are now bringing them to the virus back to China with them?

• jbiloh said: Thanks for the update.

How is China handling cases from people who traveled abroad and are now bringing them to the virus back to China with them?

According to the announcement published by Guangzhou goverment, people from any country, who have traveled abroad, whose destination is Guangzhou, will get free test, be quarantined for 14 days and test again. If second test show negative result, you are cleared.
    You may choose quarantine at home or in goverment designated place, the later will cost you as much as 350RMB/day.

Thanked by 1georgedatacenter
  • I am near the Chinese border, they have done a great job of controlling the disease. Now they are afraid of cases of infection from outside to China

There is light at the end of the tunnel for a lot of reasons, so I am glad to being hearing some positives from folks, especially those in Asia.

Anti virus meds/treatments are on the way, with some that are already used to treat other things like malaria that are showing promise.

We just need to stay united in this fight against the silent killer and not allow the media to cause us all into a panic.

I have always been a media friendly person but this is the first time in my life that I really feel like the media is doing far more damage than good.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

I'm located in Albania.

We have around 100cases and 4 deaths and also i'm looking at the other countries with extreemly more higher medic capacity and they're still beaten to their knees [Italy, our neighbour].

We pray and hope for the best for every country which is experiencing hell!

• Always take the Fox News content with a grain a boatload of salt.
    Also there is a reason for the news to try and freak people out. Its because actual humans are dying. And people don't listen.

Thanked by 2vimalware TimboJones

t0ny0 said: Its because actual humans are dying. And people don't listen.

But yet so many others die from ordinary things (that are not "novel") and yet the media is not interested. Why? Because it doesn't sufficiently scare people enough to glue them to the TV to watch commercials.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Where I am in Mexico many, many people have already lost their jobs and are wondering how they will eat and pay their rent. The damage from this is going to be far greater then what they put in the news.

Thanked by 2uptime Claverhouse