Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Does anyone in our community have COVID-19 (tested positive)? If so, how are you feeling?

I remember reading a few people saying they thought they might have it given symptoms that were consistent with Corona.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2020

greattomeetyou said: I heard from a few cases, the virus stays for much longer time.

That's true, but those are exceptions, and possibly due to multiple reasons.

What happens is, every time, the virus infects a new host, it changes its gnome structure. However, still they can identify that change, it does not go unnoticed.

raindog308 said: Sure, I agree...I was just taking issue with the statement that the world has never seen anything like this before, which isn't true.

That's alright.

I expected the response I got when I posted. Most people are naive and will make big argument over small things.

With this virus, those who can, should do their own research and not just believe whatever they see online, specially on a forum like LET. It's not a place for scientific data.

Many countries have their own way of handling the issue. It is a combined issue of mass panic, medical emergency and psychological impact. How a country handles this mostly depends on how their societies are, not just based on medical equipment. Some might try to suppress any information that causes mass panic, specially third world countries where almost nobody has their own vehicle, people prefer to stay together and social distancing is almost impossible.

So, don't just make any quick judgement towards any country without understanding what their intent is.

Fighting this virus is like fighting war in multiple fronts, it is not as easy as seeing medical data.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • PHDanPHDan Member

MechanicWeb said: Most people are naive and will make big argument over small things.

Yeah, 10% death rate or 1% death rate, same difference.

Do you have a single article, website, anything at all that supports any of your claims? You've been asked and each time you have nothing to show.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

PHDan said: Do you have a single article

I am sorry, I did not save the links. I read to know for myself.

I posted what I know, because what I was reading mostly was incorrect. You can't fight a virus that has no cure available without knowing what it is.

Do your own research instead of relying on forums. You might need it.

• I am more worried about our neighbour, India. =(
    They have a bigger economy but wealth distribution is not good, many people live in poverty and without basic healthcare facilities. My thoughts are with them. Especially the kids.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider
    Thanked by 1fpmagic
  • PHDanPHDan Member

MechanicWeb said: Do your own research instead of relying on forums.

I do but Secretary Xi's Happy Fun Time Report is not one of my daily papers.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Although there seems to be various view points on the severity & mortality rates of this Corona virus, one thing is for sure. The world has changed many times before, and it is changing once again. All of us will have to adapt to a new way of living, working, and operating with the rest of society.
    Best of luck to all of you.

Meanwhile in Italy...

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited March 2020

Is anyone here used to greet people by cheek kissing in real life? I guess it is one of the reasons COVID-19 spreads so violently in western countries recently. Please stop doing that to protect yourself and your loved ones.

@chihcherng said:
    Is anyone here used to greet people by cheek kissing in real life? I guess it is one of the reasons COVID-19 spreads so violently in western countries recently. Please stop doing that to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Such greetings are very common in Italy.

• @jbiloh said:

@chihcherng said:

Such greetings are very common in Italy.

Middle East too

I've gotten quite comfortable with the elbow shake. In fact I think I like it a bit better than a traditional hand shake.

If there's any benefit at all to this whole event is that it's causing people to be much more mindful of personal hygene.

• I fear for the future of my nephew. That is all. Every other in my family are adults and have experienced everything there is to life. Kids wouldnt understand. I am always thinking about the kids that maybe starving at this very time. =(

• I m having breathing difficulties.. Couldnt get myself up the whole day.
    I was born with a narrow bronchial tube. So if this is Corona, it will be byebye =)

• Just get tested and stay strong.

• irtehirteh Member

Hello,
    I work in a medicated institution and it is rumored that the virus would disappear at the end of April only that the mute jump in the slow hemisphere.
    And when the prosperous season comes again, it will reappear and after this period it will disappear permanently.

• If you are in the US and having a hard time with money
    https://www.expensify.org/hunger#reimbursement

Good to see the spread of the virus slowing in Italy.

Also a positive that financial markets are stabilizing globally. Usually equity markets bottom and start moving up prior to the real height of the "main street" issue. Either way things looking more positive here.

Thanked by 1fpmagic
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2020

@jbiloh said:
    Good to see the spread of the virus slowing in Italy.

Also a positive that financial markets are stabilizing globally. Usually equity markets bottom and start moving up prior to the real height of the "main street" issue. Either way things looking more positive here.

I'm convinced this isn't the bottom at least for the US markets. People still believe it will be business as usual by Easter. Market sentiment seems to be way up but I don't buy it.

Thanked by 1FrankZ

Florida's governor has issued a stay at home order for South Florida, including the county where I live through middle of May. I've already been social distancing for ten days. Wow that feels like a long time from now.

• @gwnd1989 said:
    I am more worried about our neighbour, India. =(
    They have a bigger economy but wealth distribution is not good, many people live in poverty and without basic healthcare facilities. My thoughts are with them. Especially the kids.

India is on 7th day of its lockdown. Prime Minister announced complete lockdown for 1.3 billion people on 25 Mar. I am sitting at home. Watching tv, playing with kids..

In my state, 2 persons already already lost their lives. More than 200 are in the hospital under treatment. First death was reported two days back. That person was 69 years and he came from Dubai. Second person died today. He is 68 years old. He was in ventilator for the last 5 days. But he never visited any other countries. So it's clear that the he got infected from some 'carrier'.

Both of the deceased had other illnesses and hopefully that is the reason for death.

1251 positive cases are there in India. Death toll 32 in whole country. It took just 12 days to increase positive cases from 100 to 1000. Till now 101 persons recovered.

• I'm a foreigner stuck in Myanmar.
    Until last week there were no known cases here but suddenly they reported 2, yesterday I read about 10 and today my hotel receptionist said there were 14.

At least no lockdown here and life is good. I'll stay here until flights resumed

Thanked by 1fpmagic
  • fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited March 2020

@hawc said:
    Whelp, England is now in "lockdown" and I'm also showing symptoms. I've cancelled my trip to Thailand, my insurers have been very good and are dealing with it all for me.

Symptons or not, you wouldn't be able to get in anyway as foreigners banned from arrival from march 26, and even 4 days prior to that it was banned-same-same-but-different-so-not-to-break-bilateral-agreements as they made the requirement for a covid19 lab test showing negative (near impossible to get at the time in UK - can you even get it now?). You'd arrive at LHR checkin to great big go-home presuming you're flight was even running and checkin staffed.. Get well soon, try after 30th April for travels..

• fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited March 2020

@farsighter said:
    I'm a foreigner stuck in Myanmar.
    Until last week there were no known cases here but suddenly they reported 2, yesterday I read about 10 and today my hotel receptionist said there were 14.

At least no lockdown here and life is good. I'll stay here until flights resumed

No country will escape it, except maybe north korea (if to be believed), if they're reporting 14 confirmed and that's with limited testing you can almost guarantee the curve is starting to form, give it a week until you have soft lockdown - social distancing, bars/resturants closed, shopping malls closed etc..

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited March 2020

@jeff9023 said:
    We need wear mask to avoid the COVID-19.

The WHO originally said don't bother unless infected and/or looking after high-risk or confirmed infected people. It seems that advice has changed now? Actually, it is just governments overriding the WHO advice.. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks hmmm

• PHDanPHDan Member

Overriding the WHO? Sounds like a great idea actually.

• @fpmagic said:
    No country will escape it

Hopefully the virus can't prosper much in warm weather like here (as it doesn't do Africa)
    Myanmar is still quiet isolated. It didn't let Chinese take over economically (like other countries around e.g. Cambodia) so there's no much human traffic between the two. It's also not a tourism/business hub so a similar outbreak like Thailand had is hopefully not expected.

• fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited March 2020

@farsighter said:

@fpmagic said:
    No country will escape it

Hopefully the virus can't prosper much in warm weather like here (as it doesn't do Africa)

I think the "covid dont like hot weather, we be ok" has been overrated - Thailand, Malaysia, Australia to name a few are all struggling.. It may have some effect but it doesn't look like enough to stop exponential growth

Thailand had is hopefully not expected.

"is" having... Thailand is definitely not at the stage of looking back yet, if anything at the climb of the big dip... I would not be surprised at more measures in next few days.

so there's no much human traffic between the two.

You still got hundreds of visa runners between Thailand and Myanmar as recently as 10 days ago if I remember correctly? It doesn't take mass immigration to seed.

• @PHDan said:
    Overriding the WHO? Sounds like a great idea actually.

Fair point.. Their handling will be certainly questioned for decades to come. Almost identical to in the "Contagion" movie..

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Good News :)