Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

So British American Tobacco apparently has a COVID-19 vaccine that could be ready in the millions of doses per week:

“If testing goes well, BAT is hopeful that, with the right partners and support from government agencies, between 1m and 3m doses of the vaccine could be manufactured per week, beginning in June,” the company said.

The London-listed company used the announcement to trumpet the positive aspects of its tobacco empire, saying that “new, fast-growing tobacco plant technology” put it ahead of others trying to develop a vaccine.

“Tobacco plants offer the potential for faster and safer vaccine development compared with conventional methods,” the company said.

BAT said its US biotech subsidiary, Kentucky BioProcessing (KBP), has moved to pre-clinical testing and that it will work on the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis.

In 2014, the tobacco firm bought KBP, which has previously worked on a treatment for Ebola. BAT said its work was “potentially safer [than conventional vaccine technology], given that tobacco plants cannot host pathogens which cause human disease”.

That's pretty exciting to hear. Some optimism.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/01/british-american-tobacco-plant-based-coronavirus-vaccine

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • pcanpcan Member

Plant-based vaccines are a potential low-cost and rapid alternative production method, but the antigen has yet to be designed and tested. This is the difficult and time consuming part, I guess. Has the FDA ever started licensing plant-based vaccines lately? Plant-based vaccines are classified in the category of genetically modified crops and must follow a special procedure with additional safety measures.

• The vaccine will be worse than the disease...

@shillshocked said:
    The vaccine will be worse than the disease...

How do you figure?

• @jbiloh said:

@shillshocked said:

How do you figure?

Something, something, tobacco addiction.

@TimboJones said:

@jbiloh said:

@shillshocked said:

How do you figure?

Wait, what? Please explain.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 2020

@jbiloh said:

@TimboJones said:

@jbiloh said:

@shillshocked said:

How do you figure?

Wait, what? Please explain.

You've heard of anti-vaxxors and the silly shit they believe, right? Conspiracy theory Tobacco industry invents vaccine mandated for everyone writes itself.

Edit: Also, I recently read the tomacco from The Simpsons was eventually grown.

• And that supposedly BAT post was dated April 1. Think about that date.

@not_dilligaf said:
    And that supposedly BAT post was dated April 1. Think about that date.

There's dozens of stories about it at many different media institutions. Doesn't look like April fools to me.

• pcanpcan Member

I am not an expert on the matter, but as a general interest I have read about plant based vaccines since years. The idea is to genetically modify a plant to grow the antigen, because it appears to be easier and cheaper than the current production metods. The plant may eventually be an edible one, to simplify even further the inoculation, but for now tobacco plant is the choice. This plant is easy to grow and the tobacco industry is funding the research: it could open a new very lucrative side market.

pcan said: I am not an expert on the matter, but as a general interest I have read about plant based vaccines since years. The idea is to genetically modify a plant to grow the antigen, because it appears to be easier and cheaper than the current production metods. The plant may eventually be an edible one, to simplify even further the inoculation, but for now tobacco plant is the choice. This plant is easy to grow and the tobacco industry is funding the research: it could open a new very lucrative side market.

Agreed, and I am all for it. Competition in this market is critical to both ensure speed and keep costs reasonably low.

• IamIam Member
    edited April 2020

OMG! LOL

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2020

Just recently, Putin quarantined Russia. The remnants of the collapsed Soviet system worked better than the most modern medical system in most countries.

This shows the world map:

In my country, quarantine was introduced on March 16, and recently extended until April 26.
    For example, such rules have been introduced.
    Enter a penalty if no mask = 34000 uah ~ $ 1200
    We also made a temperature check in each store.
    You can not be more than 2 people on the street on business.

But time will tell what will happen next. Everything is so random every day.

Thanked by 1vimalware

Seems like Spain, Germany and Italy may be hitting the apex point now or in the last few days. That's really good news. The world needs this thing to be over really soon.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jbiloh said: So British American Tobacco apparently has a COVID-19 vaccine that could be ready in the millions of doses per week:

Tobacco saves the day!

• Nothing to be scared about, Trump said everything is under control

@raindog308 said:

jbiloh said: So British American Tobacco apparently has a COVID-19 vaccine that could be ready in the millions of doses per week:

Tobacco saves the day!

That would be the ultimate irony, right?

• British PM Boris Johnson in ICU.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • @Vova1234 said:
    Just recently, Putin quarantined Russia. The remnants of the collapsed Soviet system worked better than the most modern medical system in most countries.

This shows the world map:

In my country, quarantine was introduced on March 16, and recently extended until April 26.
    For example, such rules have been introduced.
    Enter a penalty if no mask = 34000 uah ~ $ 1200
    We also made a temperature check in each store.
    You can not be more than 2 people on the street on business.

But time will tell what will happen next. Everything is so random every day.

But look at all that Russian land! Isn't that like built in social distancing right from the get go? I kid...

Which countries do people think are under reporting their infections and deaths intentionally?

• I don't think "intentionally" would be the only criteria, many countries simply do not have the infrastructure and facility (or even urge) to do testing on an aggressive scale... so they do their best, sit mum and "pray" they get over with minimum damage.

China on the other hand... is for sure lying on numbers... they are more on the "damage control of their repute" as they know the whole world would have guns pointed at them once the situation is a bit contained.

The world will change after this... I hope it inclines to a positive side

Thanked by 2hostdare vimalware
  • SquydSquyd Member

@mehargags said:
    I don't think "intentionally" would be the only criteria, many countries simply do not have the infrastructure and facility (or even urge) to do testing on an aggressive scale... so they do their best, sit mum and "pray" they get over with minimum damage.

China on the other hand... is for sure lying on numbers... they are more on the "damage control of their repute" as they know the whole world would have guns pointed at them once the situation is a bit contained.

The world will change after this... I hope it inclines to a positive side

People haven't the foggiest idea on China these days ... Considering the incubation period is only up to 14 days, if every and single living soul willingly stays home (food was delivered to front door) for entire 76 days, and no one is exempted from reporting his/her temperature TWICE a day, you will wonder why it took so long to bring active cases to zero. My wife (Canadian) asked me how this is possible, the answer is there is no discipline without sacrifices.

Thanked by 1georgedatacenter
  • @jbiloh said:
    Which countries do people think are under reporting their infections and deaths intentionally?

In my Google News feed today, there was a story about a Russian journalist who died March 31 and was writing about it up until she died. Something fishy was going on with how cause of deaths are being reported so it doesn't get counted and doesn't trigger contact investigations.

In a press conference on April 1, Perm Oblast Health Minister Oksana Melekhova said Petrova’s diagnosis was “double pneumonia,” but that officials were still awaiting the results of her second coronavirus test.
    On April 2, however, Petrova’s friend, local journalist Yulia Balabanova, posted a screenshot of a text message she received from Petrova on March 29 saying that “my second test was positive” and that she was feeling “very poorly.”

“I am publishing this fragment of our correspondence,” Balabanova wrote in a Facebook post that has since been deleted. “Nastya knew that her second test for coronavirus was positive. I don’t understand why her doctors aren’t talking about this. I think that it is important now that there be maximum transparency and complete information.”

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:

In my country, it began with the fact that we came here with the EU. The authorities could prohibit all citizens from returning, as in Belarus, for example. If he arrived, then put him in quarantine for a month, ran away from the quarantine, repulsed the kidneys and put him back into quarantine.

In such things, the dictatorship works perfectly, it instantly decides everything as in China, for example.

TimboJones said: But look at all that Russian land! Isn't that like built in social distancing right from the get go? I kid...

At the end of 2020, I’m interested to see what the outcome of everything will be.

• At the end of 2020, I’m interested to see what the outcome of everything will be.

If we are here to see!

@Intelpentium0 said:

At the end of 2020, I’m interested to see what the outcome of everything will be.

If we are here to see!

We'll be here, you can count on it. :)

• Corona virus is the real deal. Name one Global Events that can make Google delay Google Play Store Verification. Usually it just take a few hours to publish an apps. Now it take a freaking 1 week.

Also government(s) has been shutting down public places left and right. People lost job left and right. It's the real deal.

I live in a relatively remote city. We don't even have shopping mall. I need to fly to other city to buy my laptop. Yet, we are affected by this Corona virus.

The fear is real, because the threat is very real. 1 infected person person is all it takes.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse