Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corona Virus Fears? - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corona Virus Fears?

1131415161719»

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2020

Jones said: Ticket # 875880

replied, please do not post in forum when your sales ticket is open for a few hours only :)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Global markets are recovering now with a vengeance. That's great to see.

hopefully things continue to reopen in a controlled and responsible way.

I even got an email from a hotel I once stayed at in Venice saying they're open and looking forward to welcoming tourists back ASAP.

Better days ahead I hope.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

@jbiloh said:

I even got an email from a hotel I once stayed at in Venice saying they're open and looking forward to welcoming tourists back ASAP.

I honestly can't see why the markets are so optimistic. Yes, infections are down; but governments around the world are supporting a huge number of people who can't work, across the board economic activity is down 20+%, money printer going brrrrr constantly. America on the brink of what isn't far off a racism triggered civil war and even if a vaccine is proven to work soon, we won't have it deployed on a large scale until at earliest the end of the year.

2020 has been unprecedented, yet somehow we're coming close to returning to all time highs in the markets?

I don't buy it. I know the market isn't necessarily attached to the economy, but there should be a correlation. I'm still >50% cash&gilts, I've cherry picked a few stocks that I think are seriously undervalued, but I'm not going back into index funds until there's better signs for the economy.

Standard disclaimer about timing the market.

Thanked by 2hostdare FrankZ
  • America on the brink of what isn't far off a racism triggered civil war

Nah, every so often there's Occupy Wall Street, Pussy Marches, or Gun control protests, shit doesn't happen.

I'm sure the next war will be started on Twitter by calling Trump some kind of piece of shit and Trump going postal from epic butthurt.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@jackb said:

@jbiloh said:

I honestly can't see why the markets are so optimistic. Yes, infections are down; but governments around the world are supporting a huge number of people who can't work, across the board economic activity is down 20+%, money printer going brrrrr constantly. America on the brink of what isn't far off a racism triggered civil war and even if a vaccine is proven to work soon, we won't have it deployed on a large scale until at earliest the end of the year.

2020 has been unprecedented, yet somehow we're coming close to returning to all time highs in the markets?

I don't buy it. I know the market isn't necessarily attached to the economy, but there should be a correlation. I'm still >50% cash&gilts, I've cherry picked a few stocks that I think are seriously undervalued, but I'm not going back into index funds until there's better signs for the economy.

Standard disclaimer about timing the market.

Markets are forward discount machines.

They view the future as very optimistic, and now supercharged by an unprecedented level of fiscal and monetary stimulus. That all is very good for higher equities.

There is likely to be a disconnect between main street and wall street for a bit.. but perhaps that gap will close sooner than expected, too. Look at today's US jobs number which surprised everyone to the positive.