Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DrServer.Net AbusiveCores Server downtime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DrServer.Net AbusiveCores Server downtime

I have been a loyal user of DrServer as they always had the best and understanding support teams, until now! My server hosted at their Dallas DC has been down for 11 days and the support is completely non-committal, the CEO seems to be absconding and there is no resolution in sight.

I understand low end VPS cannot guarantee high availability, but 11 days is ridiculous by any standards. The only responses I am getting are that the CEO is unreachable and its in his hands as he pays the bills. It seems like the downtime is caused by non-technical/payment default reasons.

Is anyone else facing the same issue?

Thanked by 1Tom

Comments

• Okay usually you would be told to GTFO but 11 days is above the LET public shaming requirements

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@vipinr said:
    I understand low end VPS cannot guarantee high availability, but 11 days is ridiculous by any standards. The only responses I am getting are that the CEO is unreachable and its in his hands as he pays the bills. It seems like the downtime is caused by non-technical/payment default reasons.

If you're 100% certain that the guy didn't pay the bills, after 11 days it's no accident. People that run businesses don't just forget to pay bills (Or god would I hope not?) Hope you have backups if it's anything relatively important.

What's the IP, what network is it on? If he's colo'd most datacenters will hold the hardware as collateral.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2016
  • I am not sure if it is because of unpaid bills but that seems to be indication from the support response. I have essential backups but that is from a week before the downtime (Careless of me to rely on just weekly backups, but trust me, never had such issues with Dr.Server in almost 2 years that I have used their services). There was a lot of stuff going on on that server, so recovering it on a new VPS is going to take a lot of time and effort.

My server ip is 38.68.15.110 and it seems to be hosted at QueryFoundry in Dallas. They did make a news entry on the 20th of August here: https://drserver.net/drbill/index.php?/news/view/14/dallas-downtime--query-foundry-/

But this is what my last support response was like.

Hello. Only he is dealing with this, he pays for servers and there is nothing I can do. We do not hold backups as per our TOS. I am really sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you but if you run your business, you should have backups too. It can happen with anybody. When I have more info, you will know, believe me. Once again, I am sorry for the inconvenience and if you want to leave us, I can't stop you. It's your choice. You have full right to choose your providers.

>
    >

Best Regards,
    Radoslav Petrov

>

>

-- dr.Server Support Europe --

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • [22/08/2016, 17:31:50] Cas: Hi Radi
    [22/08/2016, 17:31:53] Cas: Still working for drServer?
    [22/08/2016, 17:32:20] Radi: Hi
    [22/08/2016, 17:32:22] Radi: yes
    [22/08/2016, 17:32:25] Cas: Ah
    [22/08/2016, 17:32:29] Cas: Any update about dallas?
    [22/08/2016, 17:33:35] Radi: DC is demaning money from us which is already paid
    [22/08/2016, 17:33:41] Cas: hmm
    [22/08/2016, 17:34:39] Cas: Fortunately I don't host anything really important on the VPS
    [22/08/2016, 17:34:47] Cas: But I can imagine others do
    [22/08/2016, 17:34:57] Cas: Anyway, good luck, hope it'll be sorted soon
    [22/08/2016, 17:35:31] Radi: i hope too

Thanked by 2vipinr bersy
  • Thank you @cassa for the effort.

@cassa said:

> [22/08/2016, 17:31:50] Cas: Hi Radi
    > [22/08/2016, 17:31:53] Cas: Still working for drServer?
    > [22/08/2016, 17:32:20] Radi: Hi
    > [22/08/2016, 17:32:22] Radi: yes
    > [22/08/2016, 17:32:25] Cas: Ah
    > [22/08/2016, 17:32:29] Cas: Any update about dallas?
    > [22/08/2016, 17:33:35] Radi: DC is demaning money from us which is already paid
    > [22/08/2016, 17:33:41] Cas: hmm
    > [22/08/2016, 17:34:39] Cas: Fortunately I don't host anything really important on the VPS
    > [22/08/2016, 17:34:47] Cas: But I can imagine others do
    > [22/08/2016, 17:34:57] Cas: Anyway, good luck, hope it'll be sorted soon
    > [22/08/2016, 17:35:31] Radi: i hope too
    > 
  • sonicsonic Veteran

My 4 VPS are down. ~ 10 days passed ;(

• What about CEO of drServer, is he alive? I'm trying to reach him and since half year or maybe year I do hear from support, that I have to wait; he just disappeared or something...

• LeeLee Veteran

Seems odd, so down for 10 days over a payment issue.

The DC I suspect would have raised an outstanding payment issue long before cutting the services and therefore more than sufficient time was available to dispute the claimed balance and provide proof it was paid...

Something not right there, especially when services are down, has anyone been offered an official explanation, compensation or whatever?

• Yes, I was given a temporary box on a node which is on ColoCrossing's network. The IP address was surprisingly not listed in any RBLs, etc,.

Good luck with this, Dr.Server. I'm a long time, faithful customer as well and I haven't whined about this — In fact, I haven't even mentioned it outside of IRC in a private message. That's all. I do find it strange that the issue hasn't been resolved yet, especially if it is only a matter of money and not a fault with hardware as I assumed it would have been.

@Lee said:
    [...]
    Something not right there, especially when services are down, has anyone been offered an official explanation, compensation or whatever?

Thanked by 1Lee
  • The unfortunate part is that if they saw this coming, they could have atleast warned the customers so we could take all precautions for a scheduled downtime.

I still maintain I have had the best relationship with Dr.Server and Andrej for a very long time and really appreciated the heart they put into customer support. But it seems like the company is in trouble.

Thanked by 2lontong tommy
  • So I contacted query foundry directly, thanks to the lack of response from Dr.Server asking if they are facing a hardware/infrastructure issue and if it was possible for them to intervene and help me recover my VPS VM for a fee. Here is the reply i got

​On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 3:39 PM, xxxx@queryfoundry.com wrote:
    Hi, thanks for reaching out. Our data center or services have no outages with any customers. Whether the customers themselves have outages based on other reasons we can't comment for privacy reasons.

>

We don't have access to their VPS (for privacy reasons we can't login to their system).

>

We don't own the data so we can't touch it to get you any information.

>

All I can unfortunately disclose is there is power, network and there are no hardware issues on our side. About any customers' particular situation and why such an occurrence is happening isn't something we can comment on. I hope you understand.

Cheers,

I am not sure if it was appropriate for me to contact them directly, but I feel I need to try everything possible for my clients who depend on the services i host for them on the VM.

But this is for certain that it is a financial issue and not a technical outage at any point.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Hi,

I am sorry for late reply here and i am also really sorry for situation that we are in right now.

We are finalizing hardware shipment to Incero Dallas. We have ordered full rack there and we will do Dallas on fully owned Hardware, in own rack with own switches and with multi year rented IPs.

All Dallas servers will be prepared and shipped in following 24-36 hours.

All customers who where affected by this will get free credit till the end of the year or you can get refund for your service. Please open ticket with your request.

Once again i need to apologize for the issues that we have caused to our customers. Thank you for understanding.

Thanked by 1vipinr
  • drserver said: All Dallas servers will be prepared and shipped in following 24-36 hours.

Thank you for the reply. I hope we won't lose any data in the process?

But your response is much awaited and much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @drserver said:
    Hi,

I am sorry for late reply here and i am also really sorry for situation that we are in right now.

We are finalizing hardware shipment to Incero Dallas. We have ordered full rack there and we will do Dallas on fully owned Hardware, in own rack with own switches and with multi year rented IPs.

All customers who where affected by this will get free credit till the end of the year or you can get refund for your service. Please open ticket with your request.

Once again i need to apologize for the issues that we have caused to our customers. Thank you for understanding.

The move affects all Dallas servers including other brands (like xenstorage)?

• TheOnlyDK said: The move affects all Dallas servers including other brands (like xenstorage)?

My XenStorage VPS has not been affected by this, but it is at Incero, not query foundry

• @FrankZ said:

TheOnlyDK said: The move affects all Dallas servers including other brands (like xenstorage)?

My XenStorage VPS has not been affected by this, but it is at Incero, not query foundry

Mine is up too, but not sure if it will be moved to a different rack along with the other servers.

• @drserver said:
    Hi,

Now THIS is the kind of exceeds-all-expectations response that drserver is known and loved for.

Will it be E3-level fast threads OR under-3Ghz cpu threads on this owned hardware?

Server pron is always welcome. :)

• @vimalware said:

@drserver said:
    Hi,

Now THIS is the kind of exceeds-all-expectations response that drserver is known and loved for.

Will it be E3-level fast threads OR under-3Ghz cpu threads on this owned hardware?

I don't mean to be negative but not much about this is positive. Server down for what is 12 days now, support staff aren't sure where the owner is or what is going on..and just more downtime. I'm really happy there was a response, but it shouldn't have just now happened.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

@daily said:

@vimalware said:

@drserver said:
    Hi,

I don't mean to be negative but not much about this is positive. Server down for what is 12 days now, support staff aren't sure where the owner is or what is going on..and just more downtime. I'm really happy there was a response, but it shouldn't have just now happened.

I was thinking the same, but I hate butting in on problems with other companies. 10+ days downtime, because of a move, I've seen small companies move hardware across towns in under 24 hours. Plus the fact that the staff have no clue what's going on like you said would be pretty worrying if I were a client.

Either way, it's good he said clients affected will get free credit till the end of the year (assuming I am interpreting that correctly). But 10+ days downtime is pretty bad even for a budget provider selling $10/m dedicated servers.

• It's not fully clear, but is the data gone? It doesn't matter to me as I have my backup already restored on another VPS anyway.

@drserver said:
    Hi,

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2016

@vimalware said:

Are you on crack mate?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

MikeA said: I was thinking the same, but I hate butting in on problems with other companies. 10+ days downtime, because of a move, I've seen small companies move hardware across towns in under 24 hours. Plus the fact that the staff have no clue what's going on like you said would be pretty worrying if I were a client.

If they ar several racks, they probably used a LTL, but the problem is in the time :(

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Nekki said:

@vimalware said:

Are you on crack mate?

Some people like fresh crack

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Shit always happens.

I judge by how it's dealt with.

Did everyone miss the effort put into avoiding the same sort of dispute/issue happening again? (own hardware, switches)

Reputation has value in most societies

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2016

@vimalware said:
    Shit always happens.

I judge by how it's dealt with.

If you consider several days of downtime and zero contact to be the correct way to deal with issues, I can recommend you a ton of providers.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2016

@Lee said:
    Seems odd, so down for 10 days over a payment issue.

The DC I suspect would have raised an outstanding payment issue long before cutting the services and therefore more than sufficient time was available to dispute the claimed balance and provide proof it was paid...

I missed reading this post.
    I agree. You have a point there.

edit :I'm going back to sleep.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MikeA said:
    People that run businesses don't just forget to pay bills (Or god would I hope not?)

I ummm... I challenge that notion. No comment :P

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@jarland said:

@MikeA said:
    People that run businesses don't just forget to pay bills (Or god would I hope not?)

And then MXRoute deadpools.....

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@hawc said:

@jarland said:

@MikeA said:

And then MXRoute deadpools.....

Deadpool due to finances? Nah. Deadpool becasue Jarland spilt vodka on the rack? far more likely.

Francisco