Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Anyone else having VyprNetworks issues? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Anyone else having VyprNetworks issues?

Comments

• dailydaily Member

@Riz

@PhotonVPS said:
    We're assuming he sold the company as he paid all invoices up to date then had the account/cab transferred.

• DapKilnDapKiln Member
    edited May 2016

I'm 16 and I attend University my major is computer science believe it or not the situation still consist. I live in America a 16 year old as a freshman in college is becoming a natural thing.

I've started my chargeback a with PayPal already it seems to take 14 days for updates and stuff so basically a waiting process.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@DapKiln said:
    I'm 16 and I attend University my major is computer science believe it or not the situation still consist. I live in America a 16 year old as a freshman in college is becoming a natural thing.

A 16 year old college freshman with 10k to spare who travels across the country on a whim is definitely not a common story. You are a very lucky person, many would say your family is wealthy.

Thanked by 4BharatB Nikki emre22 GCat
  • dailydaily Member
    edited May 2016

I definitely wouldn't say 16 year olds in University is becoming common or is. A lot of high schools in the US will have a partnership with community colleges to provide college courses but they are still taught in that high school.

Thanked by 2jar Nikki
  • DapKilnDapKiln Member

@jarland said:

@DapKiln said:

A 16 year old college freshman with 10k to spare who travels across the country on a whim is definitely not a common story. You are a very lucky person, many would say your family is wealthy.

I work really hard on campus and my parents also fund me monthly but wealthy not really my parents are both 9-5 workers at Dynegy Plant both over 50 still working for retirement. They just happen to be very supportive that's all not rich or wealthy by any means though.

Hosting is something I've always wanted to get into and have been planning for sometime but this being a first try turned out horribly wrong.

Hopefully I get all of my moneyback so I can just buy my servers directly from Intel or at least someone reputable, my age is a limitation though as I know but my overall plans were to register my company with my father and me manage it. I'm guess with this incident I have a bit more time to think it all through.

Thanked by 1jar
  • vpsguyvpsguy Member

PhotonVPS said: He then sold the company.

i think he could have created another bogus company and transferred all accounts there so it looks legit and start things new. someday i bet he will be back with all your hardware selling leb vps to you .

edited May 2016

There's a repeat scam being played on us here at LET and the player(s) are (or is) smart. We'll never truly identify them beyond a shadow of a doubt until their scams are complete.

So where do we go from here? Do we start vetting providers right now in a way that makes WHT look like the nice guys? Maybe, honestly. We have to flush them out and it won't be accomplished by evidence that exists on its own that presents a completely factual case. To see this happening repeatedly on my watch means that I'm failing somewhere.

I submit the possibility, for the review of my fellow LET members, that @DapKiln is part of this scam operation.

I'd like anyone who cares to weigh in with their opinion.

Thanked by 2Kris GCat
  • RizRiz Member

@dailymc said:
    @Riz

@PhotonVPS said:
    We're assuming he sold the company as he paid all invoices up to date then had the account/cab transferred.

I saw that part, but I assume the cab containing people's servers is still at Psychz?

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited May 2016

@Riz said:

@dailymc said:
    @Riz

@PhotonVPS said:

I saw that part, but I assume the cab containing people's servers is still at Psychz?

I wish my server was still there so I could colo it somewhere else but that might be very unlikely at this point.

@jarland said:
    There's a repeat scam being played on us here at LET and the player(s) are (or is) smart. We'll never truly identify them beyond a shadow of a doubt until their scams are complete.

So where do we go from here? Do we start vetting providers right now in a way that makes WHT look like the nice guys? Maybe, honestly. We have to flush them out and it won't be accomplished by evidence that exists on its own that presents a completely factual case. To see this happening repeatedly on my watch means that I'm failing somewhere.

I submit the possibility, for the review of my fellow LET members, that @DapKiln is part of this scam operation.

I'd like anyone who cares to weigh in with their opinion.

I agree we start vetting providers right now that makes WHT look nice to prevent future scammers as if you let the new people asking for the provider tag get vetted by the let community before getting the tag there more likely to be found out faster.

Thanked by 1jar
  • vpsguyvpsguy Member
    edited May 2016

provide "new provider tag" + limit new providers ability to post offers to once or twice a month so we get feedback from users over the period of time. Scammers will be usually hurry to get money and run.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

DapKiln said: buy my servers directly from Intel

facepalm

Thanked by 2Kris GCat
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

jarland said: I'd like anyone who cares to weigh in with their opinion.

Maybe some rules around hardware sale and colo offers would be a start, if they are going to continue to be allowed.

Thanked by 2jar hawc
  • @qps
    Maybe some rules around hardware sale and colo offers would be a start, if they are going to continue to be allowed.

Hardware sales should go through ebay.

Meaning the seller would post a link here to their ebay listing.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Perhaps have a sort of "provider rep/rank" system, where the provider first has to meet certain criteria for VPS, another criteria for dedicated, and a higher one for colo/seling hardware. The hardest level, can then require validation of the ownership of the hardware.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
    edited May 2016

Does it concern anyone else that this person had unsupervised access to Carrer-1? Enough so that they could take and distribute photos of someone else's office and racks?

Anyone? Just me?

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    Does it concern anyone else that this person had unsupervised access to Carrer-1? Enough so that they could take and distribute photos of someone else's office and racks?

Anyone? Just me?

You'll be pleased to know that I've banned him from further access to our facility.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

Anyone? Just me?

This whole thing is just weird.

Thanked by 2jar Kris

@PhotonVPS said:

@jarland said:

Anyone? Just me?

You'll be pleased to know that I've banned him from further access to our facility.

Very pleased, thank you.

• PandyPandy Member

IMO Its not that important in like webhosting or vps providers, but definetly if they start offering Colo or such, then they would need to get double checked. theres so much more money in those (Hardware + colo).

and yea, hardware sales could go on ebay, for safety

Thanked by 1jar
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

jarland said: Does it concern anyone else that this person had unsupervised access to Carrer-1? Enough so that they could take and distribute photos of someone else's office and racks?

Anyone? Just me?

How are you sure it was unsupervised? Pretty much any datacenter has an allow list, which can be altered with a couple of hours, prior notice. He got someone authorised to view his own rack and most likely a DC member went along with them. Somewhere above, someone mentioned some girl with the owner of vypr networks - could pretty much be a DC staff. This stuff can be confirmed by @PhotonVPS

My main concern is new rules for hardware selling. Proof of ownership would be a good start. Second, this user was openly offering colocation services along with other stuff - can we all do this? Third - provider verification, at least for dedicated servers and colocation / more expensive stuff. It's one thing to get scammed for 3 euros, go drink one cold water and it's over. It's a whole other thing to get scammed for thousands. Honestly, I wanted to purchase 10x E3s from this guy and I am lucky I caught the stuff, prior they escalated, as it just didn't line up with his words and I am actually surprised anyone even got caught in this scam, whenever it's too good to be true - it is. While ID verification can in no way be possible in here and neither will be legal, business information is and should be public - business status and existence should be verified by staff/volunteers, prior users are allowed to sell expensive stuff over here. And possibly similar stuff as WHT - whenever some "new" user vouches with both hands for some shady provider - manual verification for both of them on as many basis as possible.

Alex

Thanked by 2jar Mridul
    edited May 2016

AlexBarakov said: most likely a DC member went along with them

I trust a direct datacenter employee to not stand there while they take photos of other people's stuff with their phone. Namely photos of peaking inside Incero's office (not a problem, but not exactly professional or allowed), and of Psychz racks.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@PhotonVPS said:

@jarland said:

Anyone? Just me?

Any info on our servers maybe ? Is the rack still there or what ?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@jarland said:

AlexBarakov said: most likely a DC member went along with them

I trust a direct datacenter employee to not stand there while they take photos of other people's stuff with their phone. Namely photos of peaking inside Incero's office (not a problem, but not exactly professional or allowed), and of Psychz racks.

I missed this? What photos? Where?

AlexBarakov said: I missed this? What photos? Where?

He sent us these:
    http://imgur.com/a/ZzNT9

And also posted this thread:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/77783/how-long-has-this-been-here#latest

• teamaccteamacc Member

Going by those photos, it's definitely not a white guy that was selling this. The child-molester pictures become more and more convincing.

New scam name is Time4colo. Tell your friends we busted him before his next scam :)

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:
    New scam name is Time4colo. Tell your friends we busted him before his next scam :)

How exactly ?

• DapKilnDapKiln Member

@jarland said:

Will this help us get our hardware back how did this come about?

edited May 2016

BharatB said: How exactly ?

That's going to be the worst part about fighting this individual. I won't be able to share how we found him anymore. That's how he learns to adapt. There will be no public accountability on this matter, which I dislike, but it's the corner he backed me into. I can't let him continue his scams on LET.

Thanked by 2DapKiln Licensecart
  • support123support123 Member
    edited May 2016

It seems a group of scammers here including one woman ...

He told me his name as Joshua

http://imgur.com/a/ZzNT9

This discussion has been closed.